PDA

View Full Version : DSOric v1.0 - Oric Emulator for Nintendo DS

wraggster
January 19th, 2008, 16:30
Alekmaul (http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/dsoric.php) has released an Oric Emulator for the Nintendo DS.

Heres the translation :

http://www.portabledev.com/media/DS/DSoric/dsoric_2.png

Here is an emulator of Oric 1 / Atmos for DS!
This emulator is based on no other emulator but it pocketoric (http://www.edl.chez-alice.fr/index_gb.htm), which gave my desire to achieve an emulator of this type on DS.

History
It was created in 1982 by Oric, newly created British company with, among others, former engineers of the company Tangerine. Marketed early 1983, it is based on a 8-bit 6502 processor running at 1 MHz, 16 kilobytes of memory and a keyboard keys composed of 57 of the same plastic as the calculator keys. A few months later, he emerges with 48 kilobytes of memory.

Despite his keyboard pivot that some may find uncomfortable to use, and some bugs in the ROM, its low price (2000 F and 1000 F) gives it a success in France and the United Kingdom. Advertisements device as a printer or a floppy drive make it even more popular. He was elected computer of the year in France in 1983 and Atmos will be in 1984.

Its production ends in the summer of 1984 when it is replaced by Oric Atmos.

Sales of Oric-1 in France have reached 50,000 units in 1983 (out of a total production of 160,000 units), and those of Atmos 27,000 between February and June 1984.

In April-May 1984, prices in the UK are Atmos £ 170, £ 150 printer and Microdisc £ 260.

It is important to note that this is the first computer to enter public overwhelmingly in Mr. everyone, with a modest price and a connection to the TV is a popularization who created many vocations for Informatics and is still the cornerstone of the computer at home, the passion is still alive as evidenced by many sites: CEO, defence force, Oricgames, ...

Released in 1984, Atmos is a Oric-1 debugged (motherboards are identical between the two machines, with the only difference that bears the ROM version number 1.1).

The gearbox was changed and the old keyboard Oric-1 was replaced by a semi-mechanical keyboard (always supported the keys on the same membrane as the Oric-1). Price decreases successive contribute significantly to its success in France (1200 F to 990 F).

The Atmos has been handicapped by a load tapes unreliable.

Some drives competitors will be offered for sale, either by the player whose Oric called microdisc (selling price in France: 3600 francs), or by the company TRAN, de La Valette-du-Var, whose door model Jasmin's name followed by Jasmin II, which has the peculiarity of being able to access both sides of a diskette without returning these disks were formatted 3 "just as the Amstrad CPC6128

On 1 June 1985 Eureka (French company) bought Oric, retains the name Oric International and released on STRATOS IQ164 (prototype at the base by the British) under the name Téléstrat. The Micro was eagerly awaited by the media and especially promising. At this time, there are more than 120000 Oric in France.

Finally, in January 1986, further proof that Atmos has been distributed in other countries, a German firm in Dusseldorf, MSE offers a floppy drive 5 ¼ "for this machine. TRAN, for its part, announced a card for to make Oric, equipped with the player Jasmin, 100% compatible with the IBM PC! That, "the magazine Théoric not without malice," will give new impetus to Atmos. "

Despite all the goodwill of the company Eureka, Oric shut down a few months later. The Téléstrat comes too late. Also based on a 6502 (microprocessor 8-bit), it is upon exit concurencé by computers 16-bit type of Commodore Amiga and Atari ST. His only added value to a Oric Atmos lay in a Basic extended connectors largest (taken joystick or mouse) and a predisposition to telematics. The MIDI musicians that waiting was actually not functional. The Atari offered them the opportunity (standard).

Eureka throw in the towel in 1988 for lack of money.

I would also link in the history of the site oric fired, it is very instructive to understand all the problems of money that the firm developing the Oric had.

Compatibility List
You can send directly from DSoric, the compatibility of files that you test. The page is updated directly from the DS.

It can be found here: Compatibility files with DSoric

Technical Specifications
Main Processor: MOS Technology 6502A running at 1 MHz
Memory (RAM): first in 16 Kio, then 64 Kio Kio including 16 with the overlay in ROM.
Only Memory (BIOS): 16 Kio with the BASIC
Resolution: 240x200 pixels in 8 colors
Its General Instrument AY-3-8912: 3 lanes on 7 octaves and a white noise generator, integrated loudspeaker.
7-pin DIN connector for external tape player
Centronics parallel connector for thermal printer or not
34-pin connector port extension floppy drive 3 "(Microdisc then Jasmin), or V23 modem
5-pin RGB connector cable connector (PAL) provided
This text is taken from the french on wikipedia oric 1.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

nyuk1998
January 19th, 2008, 21:49
There's no stopping Alekmaul! This will definitely be another great emulator.

crookedmouth
January 22nd, 2008, 03:01
I'm usually really good with emulators but am having trouble using the command CLOAD "" because I can't use the Shift key to get a quote. It seems to use only single key press whereas all his other emulators have a "shift-lock".
I really want to try this one. Always was curious about the Oric.

paul3100
January 23rd, 2008, 08:21
i too am having trouble getting any games to run on this!

I love the fact there is now an oric emulator on the ds (fine work) but i would love more to see an option to just choose and execute the file rather than having to type in the load command.

paul

crookedmouth
February 27th, 2008, 05:14
Has anyone got this to load games? If so please tell me how. I am going to try to email him. Hope I don't bug him too much.

Zorgons_Revenge
March 3rd, 2008, 06:39
Has anyone got this to load games? If so please tell me how. I am going to try to email him. Hope I don't bug him too much.

It isn't documented in the README.

To get the " needed for CLOAD"", you press the LEFT SHOULDER BUTTON on the DS to access the Shift keyboard characters.

01. Start the emulator.

02. Tap the Tape icon in the top Left of the screen.

03. Use the directional buttons to highlight the .TAP file. Example: MANIC.TAP

04. Press A

05. Type CLOAD"" (Left shoulder Button pressed down to access the "" with your stylus on the Oric keyboard)

06. Press: Ret(urn) on the Oric Atmos keyboard.

07. A number counter should run in the top left corner of the touch screen, beside the tape icon, showing the progress of the .TAP file as it loads.

08. Game Starts.

---

Don't feel stupid, I felt stupid. :D

Hi, I'm a dcemu noob, put me in your signature file to help me spread!

crookedmouth
March 4th, 2008, 01:05
Excellent, thank you. The left shoulder shift is what I needed. I do feel dumb though. :)