PDA

View Full Version : Linux Help

splodger15
January 19th, 2008, 20:48
Hello,

I am currently running XP Home edition and to be honest I am pretty annoyed with all the crap that comes with it. So I was planning to switch to Linux this is what I would be using it for:

Put songs on my Ipod
C programming and compiling
IM
and the usual internet surfing along with emails and all that.

I was thinking of going for Ubuntu or Kubuntu but what would be a good choice to go for anything but winblows.

Thanks

ICE
January 19th, 2008, 21:15
amarok media player can talk with ipods, pidgin im can do any im you can think of and i have clue on coding. you could always dual boot though.

mexicansnake
January 19th, 2008, 21:22
Ubuntu or Suse.

splodger15
January 19th, 2008, 21:26
I thought about dual booting but just want one OS the main thing is whether I can still add songs onto my Ipod

ICE
January 19th, 2008, 21:28
Yeah you'll still be able to do that. Just get Amarok Media player. All I have is ubuntu and I love it personally.

Shrygue
January 19th, 2008, 21:30
I have Windows XP and Kubuntu on dual boot on seperate hard drives.

As far as I know, the difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu is that they use different desktop software. Ubuntu uses the GNOME software while Kubuntu has KDE. You can still install the opposite desktop system (like have KDE on Ubuntu or reverse), I have it that way on mine.

the_eternal_dark
January 20th, 2008, 05:43
Hello,

I am currently running XP Home edition and to be honest I am pretty annoyed with all the crap that comes with it. So I was planning to switch to Linux this is what I would be using it for:

Put songs on my Ipod
C programming and compiling
IM
and the usual internet surfing along with emails and all that.

I was thinking of going for Ubuntu or Kubuntu but what would be a good choice to go for anything but winblows.

Thanks

If you like Ubuntu, get Linux Mint. It's based of Ubuntu, but has built-in support for mp3 and dvd playback, which Ubuntu doesn't include "out of the box". It also includes Amarok, which can transfer songs to and from iPods, but if you like podcasts, get gtkpod with gpodder to transfer podcasts. Pidgin for your IMing is built in. There is a built in irc client to, I think (I removed a lot of stuff after install). Firefox is standard for internet, Thunderbird is a good ms outlook replacement. Once you have a live cd, click daryna (similar"start" in windows)>administration>synaptic package manager, and search for your programming needs (C, C++, etc), everything is there.

Kiss windows goodbye.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php <---- Has the gnome, kde, fluxbox, and xfce versions of Mint.