PDA

View Full Version : Can Printers Print on discs?

1magus
January 20th, 2008, 01:03
Like Blank discs?
If so how? cause obviously this here was printed:
ttp://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-Ultimate-Collection-Rareities_W0QQitemZ160199904856QQihZ006QQcategoryZ 4303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You will notice Half Life is there which can be easily burnt.

bah
January 20th, 2008, 04:54
Just go to a computer store and ask what printers they have that support printing on discs.

Some printers (like this (http://www.epson.co.uk/printers/claria_photographic_printers/Epson-Stylus-Photo-R285-printer.htm)) come with a separate tray that feeds the disc through a printer.
Chuck in any bank media described as printable (white top obviously) like these (http://www.verbatim.com.au/products.cfm?productID=95145) and your done.

There are small scale commercial devices made just to burn/print on discs but a normal printer that has a disc tray is what most people would use.

Christuserloeser
January 20th, 2008, 14:21
With LightScribe you can even use your CD burner to print on a CDR/DVDR. However, the one in the picture looks like it's just printed on a label.

OneThirty8
January 20th, 2008, 14:42
With LightScribe you can even use your CD burner to print on a CDR/DVDR. However, the one in the picture looks like it's just printed on a label.

Don't those require media with some sort of reactive coating on the label side of the disc? I almost bought one once because they look pretty awesome, but then realized that I didn't really need that feature very often and it's a lot easier to pay a company to press discs if I need a bunch of professional-looking CDs.

jonezybaby
January 20th, 2008, 15:02
^^ i have one and the pic takes about 10 mins to print on best quality and it cums out black and wateva colour the disk is :(

quzar
January 21st, 2008, 01:53
Don't those require media with some sort of reactive coating on the label side of the disc? I almost bought one once because they look pretty awesome, but then realized that I didn't really need that feature very often and it's a lot easier to pay a company to press discs if I need a bunch of professional-looking CDs.

Litescribe you do. There is another one called T@2 that came out earlier that you don't, but it takes up writable space on your disc.

dcdood
January 21st, 2008, 14:29
get a CD Printer type printer. i have one that formats the image to wrap around the CD and print it to a printable CD.

OneThirty8
January 21st, 2008, 19:03
Litescribe you do. There is another one called T@2 that came out earlier that you don't, but it takes up writable space on your disc.

I just looked those up on google. That seems more like a 'novelty-factor' thing rather than a way for a band or small company to create professional-looking discs on CD-R. Also, if you have a few hundred megabytes of data, you're not leaving much room for artwork since it prints on the record-side of the disc. They still look pretty cool, though--I could see using that to label music CDs that I burned for my own use rather than writing on them with a Sharpie.

quzar
January 21st, 2008, 20:03
I just looked those up on google. That seems more like a 'novelty-factor' thing rather than a way for a band or small company to create professional-looking discs on CD-R. Also, if you have a few hundred megabytes of data, you're not leaving much room for artwork since it prints on the record-side of the disc. They still look pretty cool, though--I could see using that to label music CDs that I burned for my own use rather than writing on them with a Sharpie.

Oh definetly. But the same can be said of lightscribe ;). The discs are at least 3x more expensive, and relatively few burners support them. Any smart small company would imply use printable discs or a labeller sticker set.