PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router questions

Velo
August 1st, 2005, 23:21
Ok, if I were to hook up a wireless router up to my dialup, could I still get on line on my computer while playing my PSP over adhock/infrastructure mode?

Also, a wireless router would connect to all other hotspots that people play thier PSP's on right?

My brother wants to make sure..... he doesn't ever believe me. :D

-James

navdeep
August 1st, 2005, 23:39
yes you can plat on the comp and internet the router make the internet faster to and if you have a good router more then one psp orr whatever can play on it but be near the router i got a d-link one and i have to play my psp in the same room as my router hope i helped you:)

Velo
August 1st, 2005, 23:54
Thanks that does help, Can you find out if the waves can go through the floor or wall? My computer is downstairs and I wanna play my PSP in my bedroom that is right above it?

BTW,does anyone know a very strong router that soesn't cost a great deal? I know the frequencies have to match the PSPs so I'm skeptical about buying a $150 router.

I am also having trouble finding an adapter that will work off of of a dial-up connection....

-James

navdeep
August 2nd, 2005, 04:25
i thinks if you have a good router it is posibal or even if it is not good you might have to be directly on top of the room that has the router

Velo
August 2nd, 2005, 06:00
Is there such thing as a wireless router for a dialup modem?

I found DSL/CABLE and Broadband, but no dialup routers.

could someone help?

oh and thanks nav.

-James

PSP_Newbie
August 2nd, 2005, 09:13
ive never heard of one really, but im sure they exist. and maybe a ethernet>56k modem adapter? dunno if it works tho. i got a netgear router, not the best from what i heard, but it has pretty good range. i have the router in my room, and my laptop and psp connect well from the other side of the apt, tho its not particularly big, so it really depends on the router i guess, but i could get a few rooms a way through some walls

*o*
August 2nd, 2005, 09:45
i have a d-link and it has GREAT range over 100m!!

BlackxKnight
August 2nd, 2005, 16:13
my linksys 11b gets still gets "good" at about 300 feet.

1. you wont be able to play games over a dialup connection (not psp atleast, highspeed is required)
2. to share your dialup you would need to setup your computer with a wireless card and have it share the internet connection over the wireless signal. you cant just plug your wireless router into your phone line.
3. if i were you id go down to your local staples/best buy/circuit city/radio shack and have the guys/gals there explain to you exactly how the thing works. im sure it would help you understand how networking works.
4. i suggest getting a cheap dsl line you can get them as low a 30 bucks a month and thats still pretty fast. you can get decent ping on online games and at 30 bucks a month just about anybody can afford it.

i can help you with basic questions but as far as sharing the 56k connection wirelessly id have to talk to my geekier buds about that because thats over my head....but i know thats what you will need to do. keep this in mind if you are sharing a 56k line it will be incredibly slow because when you are using both at the same time your dividing the speed by 2. feel free to pm me if you want any help but having sombody explain it in person will probably be the best way so swing down to a electronics store and ask em. and if you pick their brain buy the router or whatever there theres nothing more annoying than sombody coming in and leeching all your information then going to BJ's/Sams club across the street or going home and ordering it online to save 5 bucks.....i worked at staples for about a year back in 2000...so i know first hand.

navdeep
August 2nd, 2005, 17:12
i have d-link to i got it free with a laptop

Velo
August 3rd, 2005, 01:48
If I set up an ICS connection through my Ethernet to a Non-dialup router, then could I play games on my PSP?

Don't worry I have a network set up, my ethernet is good.

anyways, I figure I could use an ICS connection with a Broadband/DSL router. You suppose that would work? I think any router will act as a hub correct? I just need help setting it up is all. my AOL is so annoying to set-up as with an ICS connection because it won't let me set it up without being a nousance because it uses AOL's properties, not Windows.

-James

JcBoyCool
August 3rd, 2005, 03:23
I allways thought a broadband connection of some kind was needed to play games at all. Velo update that slow internet connection you got. I never seen a dial up router but they have to be some where in this world.

Velo
August 3rd, 2005, 09:29
Well, i'm sorry the whole world isn't rich, but I can't afford one even if it "only" costs $30 a month. I live in the country so cable cannot be an option and DSL and sattalite are too expensive. Dial-up has done me good so-far.

The WiFlyer is a router for dial-up, unfourtunatly it also costs $150. Which is why I am looking for a cheaper alternative, I.E. ICS. What I don't know however, is if there is a way to use ICS to attain that.

oh yeah, and thankyou JcBoyCool, you seemed to find a reason to enter this topic. To raise your post count...

-James

JcBoyCool
August 3rd, 2005, 19:09
Well, i'm sorry the whole world isn't rich, but I can't afford one even if it "only" costs $30 a month. I live in the country so cable cannot be an option and DSL and sattalite are too expensive. Dial-up has done me good so-far.

The WiFlyer is a router for dial-up, unfourtunatly it also costs $150. Which is why I am looking for a cheaper alternative, I.E. ICS. What I don't know however, is if there is a way to use ICS to attain that.

oh yeah, and thankyou JcBoyCool, you seemed to find a reason to enter this topic. To raise your post count...

-James
I didnt just post here to increase my post count. "I allways thought a broadband connection of some kind was needed to play games at all. Velo update that slow internet connection you got. I never seen a dial up router but they have to be some where in this world." I stated what I know. Many people told me a broadband connection is needed to play the psp.

Code Ninja
August 6th, 2005, 23:25
As far as I know all consoles equipped currently for online play require high speed. I see no reason why a handheld would be any different. However homebrew might be quite different once it has gone that far.

To velo: I live in the country too and I don't even have the option of overpriced DSL. JcBoyCool was just trying to let you know that PSP gaming pretty much requires high speed. Technology has just advanced beyond dialup now. Look at most of these newer games, even the ones that are "dialup friendly" are laggy as hell.

Velo
August 12th, 2005, 08:21
I just didn't see how he helped because "requiring high speed connections" was one of the things already posted on this topic on the first page..

I relize now, that multiplayer gaming at home on my PSP would be impossible, even with programs that allow me to connect and play. I understand the lag would be horrible, using a wireless router and a community program that allows me to connect my PSP to very little users. The web browser is useless, seeing as I can connect whenever I want as it is with my PC...

I will probibly still use the browser and WIFI Gaming at my local library, although not many people are ready to play, yet...

Thankyou all anyways,

-James

LordMerlin
August 23rd, 2006, 06:20
Here's what I don't get, why do you have a wireless router with dialup and no way to bridge the two? If you have a home network then you must have multiple computers but only one internet connection right? And btw, the whole point of WiFi is to kind of eliminate the fact that different devices can't connect to eachother, some like you posted b4 "I know the frequencies of the router and PSP have to match before I go out and buy a wireless router." Any router you get will have the same ranger of frequencies and channels or close to. Your PSP is only compadible with certain types I would guess, not being an owner of a PSP myself. My NDS only works on certain wireless routers but if you want to make sure you're getting the best one for your PSP I would look at the official site for a list of compadible wireless routers. As for your dial up dilema, as stated before, you must have a high speed connection to play online games. Good luck savin up your money m8! You're gonna need it :P