PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Price-Drop Again? Don't Hold Your Breath

wraggster
January 22nd, 2008, 18:14
There's a rumor that began circulating on the CheapAssGamer forum stating that the PlayStation 3 would be seeing a price-drop soon. Certain other members chimed in with their own "knowledge" and vouched for the rumor. The alleged details are a price-drop for the 40GB PlayStation 3 down to $299, which will occur on January 28th.

Now before you get all excited, do note that the chances of this being real are extremely thin. Seeing as how Sony only recently dropped the price of the PlayStation 3, I wouldn't expect them to do so again.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2468.html

F9zDark
January 22nd, 2008, 18:22
Considering that now, finally, Sony is earning a profit on the PS3, I see it as unlikely that they would reduce the price again. (Although they now have the headroom to do so...)

However, a price cut for the 40gb could mean a few things:

-Sony wants to sell out of the 40gb to introduce a new model with a bigger HDD (maybe 80 and 120gb models?) to take in the bigger price tag. (399 and 499).

-Sony could have decided to have a 3 sku system, maybe bringing back the models with the EE and GS to give consumers more choice.

However, I don't see this as being likely, as Sony just reduced the price and, as I said before, they are now earning profits on the PS3. To reduce the price again would cut down their profits (unless they finally dropped the size of the GPU to 65nm, which would also cut costs).