PDA

View Full Version : iRShell News

DarthPaul
January 23rd, 2008, 00:33
Source: iRShell Un-Official Forums (http://irshell.org/showthread.php?tid=1053)

Stonecut revealed some good news about the future of iRShell. And some bad news too...

Good:

I would like to inform you that there will indeed be another iR Shell release for 3.80 M33 soon ...

Bad:

However, this will be the FINAL release of iR Shell.

This means: After the next release there will NOT be any more releases. Ever. After that Ahman will be retiring from the scene for good. It should be out in a few days if nothing serious happens during beta testing.

No more iR-Shell, huh?

Discuss via Comments

NOCHUCK
January 23rd, 2008, 01:30
iR Shell for for 3.80, yay!!! Thats the only thing I've missed since the upgrade (it's the only thing I haven't got back up and running). Sad that it's gonna be the last release looks like I'll be runnin 3.80 into the ground unless Ahman is kind enouph to let someone else pick up the codeing. At any rate thanks for one last release, this is by far the best shell(in my opinion) and makes the PSP very versitale away from a computer.

ICE
January 23rd, 2008, 01:35
I'll believe he's retired when I see it.. Dax has retired like 36 times and same with Ahman no?

Tesseract
January 23rd, 2008, 01:45
I hope they do some extra work to make iRShell a little more future-proof. Don't want a 4.0 firmware to come out, boot up iRShell, and have it tell me that the firmware is unsupported. ^^;

Granted, there's still the 1.5 version at least.

limmk
January 23rd, 2008, 01:47
I don't think Ahman will retire. He probably exhausted but just to give him some time/space, he will be back :)

DarthPaul
January 23rd, 2008, 01:50
I hope they do some extra work to make iRShell a little more future-proof.

Stonecut said:

"No, source code will not be released. Don't ask. Maybe the firmware version lock will go, though. It still won't help much since especially irspatch.prx and other kernel patches need to be reversed for each new firmware revision, though."

.. when someone asked him if the source code is going to be release.

Volsfan91
January 23rd, 2008, 01:58
I'll miss updates IRShell, but I sure won't miss the drama that those little drag queens like to cause.

If Ahman was a real dev, he would release the source code when he was through; there's no reason not to. The source files are just going to sit around on his hard drive unused while there are plenty of developers available to continue updating it.

Enough bull****.

limmk
January 23rd, 2008, 02:12
If Ahman won't release the source code, he probably will continue work on it

DimensionT
January 23rd, 2008, 02:30
I'll miss updates IRShell, but I sure won't miss the drama that those little drag queens like to cause.

If Ahman was a real dev, he would release the source code when he was through; there's no reason not to. The source files are just going to sit around on his hard drive unused while there are plenty of developers available to continue updating it.

Enough bull****.

It's his program and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. If you don't like that, tough shit... Make your own IR Shell.

NoQuarter
January 23rd, 2008, 02:59
lol,that's too bad...
One of the best apps for the psp!
Maybe everyone should donate.

sappo
January 23rd, 2008, 03:00
Yeah, remove that crappy firmware lock. But it's a sad thing that there will be no more iR-Shell updates. Let's hope that he'll eventually return.

Also, what's that IRSPATCH.PRX?

NEVER used it and iR-Shell always worked fine.

reluttr
January 23rd, 2008, 03:01
I guess the whole I'm gonna leave and say its for good but come back a few months latter under a new name and continue progress thing has gotten popular with the psp...

I mean DAX has left and returned several times. I think he made a smart move lately by just saying "Hey I'm only gonna release important updates, PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!"

I mean isn't that the goal of "leaving" is to avoid people from nagging for a new release? Him "leaving" is only gonna make more people email him and beg for him to return so why cant he just cut out the middle man and just say something like DAX. I would totally understand if he would say such a thing, being a dev is a time consuming hobby/job and he has other things he wants to do.

Anyways that's my opinion....

As I say with all devs that decide to take a break,

Thank you for taking your personal time to make the psp better, and I hope to see you return soon.

Art
January 23rd, 2008, 05:41
If he does leave, it really would have been nice to share the source.
A lot of new apps would appear on the scene if that ever happened.
I'm also betting he's not quite finished for good though.

Uruz 6
January 23rd, 2008, 05:50
Still I'm happy IR shell is coming out for 3.80... I also think haman won't retire (heard that already in the past.. and here he is!!) - but he may need some time alright...

limmk
January 23rd, 2008, 06:16
Yes updates can be less frequent.

If he overworked, can easily wear out, hence the thought of retired from the psp scene

Ahman also have to enjoy life ....

stevo11185
January 23rd, 2008, 07:30
It's his program and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. If you don't like that, tough shit... Make your own IR Shell.

volsfan has a good point....what is even the point of releasing a 3.80 if future firmwares wont work. It would be totally invalid within a few weeks/months

ChronoDog
January 23rd, 2008, 07:43
Give the guy a break, if anything - we should all bow down to him and say a huge thanks for all the hard work he's done so far and all the time that he invested in making such a great piece of software for us to use.

So let's be grateful for him taking the time to make iRShell 3.80 compatible and wish him luck with whatever else he's going to spend his time from now on :cool:

Peace.

DimensionT
January 23rd, 2008, 07:55
volsfan has a good point....what is even the point of releasing a 3.80 if future firmwares wont work. It would be totally invalid within a few weeks/months

Both of you act like he owes us something. He's the one that's been doing this program in his personal time, and giving it to us for free. Least we can do is let the guy do what he wants with it. Worst we can do is flame him and demand more like Volsfan did.

If you want it to work, then don't upgrade. He has no obligation to make it work FOR you.

Chameleon
January 23rd, 2008, 10:08
If he leaves thats his choice, hes been in the psp scene since the very beginning, whether or not hes really retiring... the fact remains that after a while people need to move on and do something more constructive.

Not releasing his source goes to show that he wants to keep some privacy, and that hes not totally dropping the ball.. that he might continue his efforts down the road if hes up to it.

So all you naggers just stop bitching, and accept the inevitability of him making his own choices... if he continues hell make the psp scene very happy, if not thats his choice and god bless him for thinking for himself.

Anyways, im looking forward to another quality release from you ahman, and have a nice "retirement"

stevo11185
January 23rd, 2008, 10:15
Not releasing his source goes to show that he wants to keep some privacy, and that hes not totally dropping the ball.. that he might continue his efforts down the road if hes up to it.

also may show he has illegal code in his app

Murdock
January 23rd, 2008, 10:19
Both of you act like he owes us something. He's the one that's been doing this program in his personal time, and giving it to us for free. Least we can do is let the guy do what he wants with it. Worst we can do is flame him and demand more like Volsfan did.

If you want it to work, then don't upgrade. He has no obligation to make it work FOR you.

Correct, he gave us his application for free .. and he did it in his free time ... but that doesn't mean he didn't benefit from it ... just like Dark Alex and the others he did it for fame!

SO no need to treat him like a miraculous wizard ... praying to him like he's a god or something ...

and just because he did it for fame, he won'T stop coding for the scene ... he enjoys his fame and the presentation of his skills as much as we/you enjoy using his application. So don'T take it too serious when a coder like him (or Darky or whoever) says he'll stop contributing to the scene ... it's just rediculous ... since too many of them have come back ...

Just enjoy the apps they gave you and maybe even thank them for their work, but just stop praying to them and crying like babies that they should not stop ... it's like the old heretics praying to their gods "Oh good god of rain, have mercy and water our soil!"

Greetings,

Howling Mad Murdock

Cloudhunter
January 23rd, 2008, 11:31
It's people like you who make dev's leave the scene. He doesn't make a big flair saying he will leave, it just got reported.

With people like you guys, no wonder people leave.

Cloudy

Murdock
January 23rd, 2008, 12:45
It's people like you who make dev's leave the scene. He doesn't make a big flair saying he will leave, it just got reported.

With people like you guys, no wonder people leave.

Cloudy

U mean me? :rofl:

Sorry, but this was a rediculous comment ... I NEVER criticized his work, nor did I say anythign ungrateful about any coder ... I appreciate every coders work and respect the work they've put into their "masterpieces" ... but why r u always making a scene if s/o "claims" to leave the scene? It's just damn stupid ...

I honestly don't even see any reason why s/o should stop coding if he reads a comment like mine ... and if you had an open mind, you wouldn't either ...

you aren't even giving an argument WHY my/our comments are "so bad" ... just because u CAN'T!

So stop blaming ppl. for other ppl.'s decisions! It doesn'T even make sense ... it's like me blaming you for not having passed a test at university ... because u wrote yesterday in a forum that I won't pass ... kinda different example, but smilar in logic ... namely it's entirely ILLOGIC!

But I think I remember having read several similar comments of yours ... so I doubt you'll rethink ur accusitions.

MicroNut
January 23rd, 2008, 13:25
wow...

"Generation Y" aka " the endowment generation" is a vicious thing.

If someone says they are going to retire then no other comment other than thank you is enough.

stevo11185
January 23rd, 2008, 13:27
U mean me? :rofl:

Sorry, but this was a rediculous comment ... I NEVER criticized his work, nor did I say anythign ungrateful about any coder ... I appreciate every coders work and respect the work they've put into their "masterpieces" ... but why r u always making a scene if s/o "claims" to leave the scene? It's just damn stupid ...

I honestly don't even see any reason why s/o should stop coding if he reads a comment like mine ... and if you had an open mind, you wouldn't either ...

you aren't even giving an argument WHY my/our comments are "so bad" ... just because u CAN'T!

So stop blaming ppl. for other ppl.'s decisions! It doesn'T even make sense ... it's like me blaming you for not having passed a test at university ... because u wrote yesterday in a forum that I won't pass ... kinda different example, but smilar in logic ... namely it's entirely ILLOGIC!

But I think I remember having read several similar comments of yours ... so I doubt you'll rethink ur accusitions.

Guys is plural so he was talking in general not just you. You wasted your time posting your comment

Murdock
January 23rd, 2008, 13:54
Guys is plural so he was talking in general not just you. You wasted your time posting your comment

I never waste my time ...

... it depends on how u read the previous sentence ... "you" may be plural OR singlar ... so he could also mean other ppl ...

That's why I asked ... anyway ... who cares ? :D:rolleyes:

Mr. Shizzy
January 23rd, 2008, 14:23
Correct, he gave us his application for free .. and he did it in his free time ... but that doesn't mean he didn't benefit from it ... just like Dark Alex and the others he did it for fame!

SO no need to treat him like a miraculous wizard ... praying to him like he's a god or something ...

and just because he did it for fame, he won'T stop coding for the scene ... he enjoys his fame and the presentation of his skills as much as we/you enjoy using his application. So don'T take it too serious when a coder like him (or Darky or whoever) says he'll stop contributing to the scene ... it's just rediculous ... since too many of them have come back ...

Just enjoy the apps they gave you and maybe even thank them for their work, but just stop praying to them and crying like babies that they should not stop ... it's like the old heretics praying to their gods "Oh good god of rain, have mercy and water our soil!"

Greetings,

Howling Mad Murdock

Just shut up...
You don't know Ahman, and you don't know what your talking about... :rolleyes:

He did NOT "do it for the fame" you idiot...
What fame? Fame on the internet from a bunch of kids???

He did it as a personal hobby.
And he doesn't owe anybody (including you) a damn thing...

kjetil1991
January 23rd, 2008, 14:36
i love the work of all the psp coders (ok not those trojan things ) im sure he will be back if he wants to of course =D

limmk
January 23rd, 2008, 14:42
Yes hobby that's the word!

As long as Ahman is still toying his PSP during his retirement, perhaps he can be an advisor/mentor (semi-retirement??) and guide whoever is/are able to continue the next iRShell where he left off.

Just my humble thoughts

Murdock
January 23rd, 2008, 14:46
Just shut up...
You don't know Ahman, and you don't know what your talking about... :rolleyes:

He did NOT "do it for the fame" you idiot...
What fame? Fame on the internet from a bunch of kids???

He did it as a personal hobby.
And he doesn't owe anybody (including you) a damn thing...

idiot? Sure .... :o ... don'T know what it gives u to call me names, but feel free to do so .. "brainiac" ;) ...

Allow me to explain certain things to u ... as u seem to be unable to understand what I've written above:

1. Please quote the part of my comment where I said that he owes anybody anything ...

2. What fame? Fame on the internet from a bunch of kids? ... well, YES! As simple as that .... most of these coders do it for fame ... not among a bunch of kids, since these retarded kiddies hardly remember the pages they found these apps ... but among undereducated morons insulting critics, like u ...

3. he did it as a hobby? Yeah ... I think so, too, since he didn't charge money for it ... (let's just ignore the fact that he would have been entirely unable to get money for his app, okay ...)

Of course it's a hobby! What else should one call it? But this is no argument against the fact that he releases the result of his hobby to get a name in the scene ... at least I can'T see the counterargument .. maybe u can explain it in a way that "idiots" like me can understand it :o

4. of course I do not know him ... do u? PERSONALLY? if yes ... okay ... but who cares? :rolleyes: This would even be an argument against ur opinion, since you are not representing an objective point of view.

Anyway ... this is getting really boring, because there will always be smart ppl. like u and cloudy, thinking that we, the users owe anything to these ppl. who code as a HOBBY (as u say urself) because they share their work ...

... accept that the only thing these coders can demand or expect is a "thank you" and THAT'S IT! ... PERIOD!

no donations, no admiring, no whatever ...

Mr. Shizzy
January 23rd, 2008, 14:58

You don't have to explain anything to me...
Anything you could say, I'm sure I already know. :p

You sir, are an idiot...

I myself, do PSP projects for a hobby.
And believe me, there is no "fame " involved...
It's a personal passion.

How can you say why Ahman works on IR Shell ??
You are ungrateful...

I could waste half my day typing some long post, trying to convince you that Ahman, and most other PSP coders could care less about "fame", and whatever other obnoxious statements you made above....

But I'm not going to. It's a waste of time.
You (and people like you) are a waste of time.

I'm out of this thread now :)

DarthPaul
January 23rd, 2008, 15:11
Hey guys stop the discussion already, seriously.

It's going nowhere. And no one cares if he do it for fun, or for fame or whatever. Just download the god damn application, use it and shut up.

Edit: And no one ever mentioned that you have to donate. You donate if you want, if you can. You download if you want. You use if you want... so.. why being so childy?

Note: Don't waste your time quoting my post. You all just got pwned by me. Ha ha in your face.

stevo11185
January 23rd, 2008, 15:31
It's not out yet to download....

And your telling me to shut up??
LMAO

Aren't you the kid who said "all those stupid theme makers, want credit for their work"... ?

You pwned yourself... You are an idiot too....

I'm out of this thread now

You said you was going to go away. Now disappear

DarthPaul
January 23rd, 2008, 16:03
~Back On Topic: Update: I just read this somewhere...

After talking with Ahman in the private forums, Ahman is not certain when he will get to making the last public release. It is certain however that he is no longer developing iRShell and there will be very few updates for anyone in the future with no major updates. Its really about that time in most of our opinions (supporters and developers), Ahman deserves his retirement.

Don't be too upset if another public release doesn't come for another month or longer. If you didn't donate in the YEARS he has been creating the best homebrew ever made for the PSP, I suppose you never will. This is just a clarification that a public release has not been planned by Ahman yet and he has specifically stated that he is not sure when it will be prepared.

Let's hope he makes it a public release. I'll really miss iR Shell while using 3.80 M33...

Baboon
January 23rd, 2008, 16:09
How old are you Darth Paul? ...because your acting like someone just out of kinder garden.

This threads gone completly mental with all the flaming. Are their no mods left on this site now or something??

Happy days. :(

mr_nick666
January 23rd, 2008, 16:15
All I see here is a bunch of ungrateful children. As someone said earlier in this thread a simple "Thank you" for all he HAS done for us would suffice.

Its no wonder people quit the scene when parasites are just take, take, take :mad:

DarthPaul
January 23rd, 2008, 16:16
How old are you Darth Paul?

18. I'm just having fun. :p

So, what do you think about AhMan retiring from the scene? :)

Murdock
January 23rd, 2008, 18:31
18. I'm just having fun. :p

So, what do you think about AhMan retiring from the scene? :)

Well ... this is the first good question here ... :o

It would be kinda sad if IRShell would not be continued, since there's a lot more that could be added to the app. It's already very handy, but there's even more that could be done. So it should be continued, if not by him, for whatever reasons, then maybe by someone else.

It's a pretty decent app and should not be abandoned. hmm, anyway, isn't the 1.5 kernel version able to run on pretty every OLD PSP, as long as there's 1.5 kernel support? then we stil can use most of the actual features in future CFWs ...

Aynway, as I said, the app should be continued ... by whoever.

dejkirkby
January 23rd, 2008, 18:43
I am shamed by some of the attitudes of people in this thread.
You are so ungrateful, it's absurd.
I hope the next time you give something away, you get this kind of reaction.
With that said, Ahman.
I thank you for this amazing program.

limmk
January 23rd, 2008, 19:01
Whoever continue with the next iRShell.. let's say that he is not doing better than what Ahman can contribute. Do you think it Ahman will come out from his retirement to continue where he left off?

DimensionT
January 23rd, 2008, 19:18
Jesus Christ... The scene's full of a bunch of whiny kids. Crying and bitching all day, then still demanding a toy when they get to the store.

You guys are awesome.

titch.ryan
January 23rd, 2008, 19:24
i love this program, a shame that it will not be worked on in the future.

thanks for the great app ahman and stonecut for all the support.

F9zDark
January 23rd, 2008, 21:21
I'll believe he's retired when I see it.. Dax has retired like 36 times and same with Ahman no?

Yeah, Ahman has retired quite a few times; in fact I think the "last ever" iRShell release was like 3 releases ago...

Murdock
January 23rd, 2008, 22:11
Yeah, Ahman has retired quite a few times; in fact I think the "last ever" iRShell release was like 3 releases ago...

LOL & true ... that'S all I can say ... oh, and of course like all of the "good ppl. here": Shame on u for saying this ... true sentence ... :thumbup:

acn010
January 23rd, 2008, 22:17
irshell is over?

DarthPaul
January 23rd, 2008, 22:25
irshell is over?

The only one who can confirm that is AhMan.

We'll know the day of the release...

Jesus Christ
January 23rd, 2008, 22:33
I would like to see AhMan working on irShell in the future. But if he thinks leaving is the best decision, no one can stop him.

Let our father light his life with happiness and luck.

Jesus Christ...

Thanks for having me in your mind, my brother.

acn010
January 23rd, 2008, 22:36
now why i have casino cash?
how much did i miss?
sorry for being off topic guys

hatman101
January 23rd, 2008, 22:38
Thats great news but if your going to do a final release i wish that it would be on the next firmware with skype.

I dont understand why DA and Ahman would want to focus so much on 3.80 anyways when skype version coming out in a month especially with the 2 of them being not as involved with the scene as once before?

Ahh well beggers cant be choosers, but im happy about this news, but nothing is going to hold be back from using psp with skype!:thumbup:

djbrotherson
January 24th, 2008, 01:49
They should just make a homebrew that works with skype and then we can all live happily ever after never leaving our psp's alone... ever

carlitx
January 24th, 2008, 02:05

totally agree, i think these coders want extra attention, and say they are retired.... pffft they are good coders and get lots of attention, why bother trying to get more??

DimensionT
January 24th, 2008, 03:59
I think it's the opposite... They don't want the attention. I know I wouldn't want hundreds of people nagging me for updates every day.

IRShell being over means he could possibly work on it without people knowing. Thus, no nagging.

Panini
January 24th, 2008, 17:50
Children just play nicely or f*** off to QJ if your going to carry on bitching!

DPyro
January 24th, 2008, 17:51
I'm not about to read this entire thread to figure out whats going on, so the people who are arguing, stop.

yaustar
January 24th, 2008, 18:21
Mr. Shizzy & DarthPaul:
If you continue to derail this thread I will ban you both. Take it to PMs.

I have removed your 'fighting' posts from this thread.

barginboyrob
January 24th, 2008, 18:32
is there a new Irshell out or something cos their site is down

DarthPaul
January 24th, 2008, 20:18
I'm not about to read this entire thread to figure out whats going on, so the people who are arguing, stop.

Mr. Shizzy & DarthPaul:
If you continue to derail this thread I will ban you both. Take it to PMs.

I have removed your 'fighting' posts from this thread.

My bad, guys. :p

is there a new Irshell out or something cos their site is down

Not yet. There will be one soon, though.(hopefully)

It will be posted here when it's out. So, no worries. ;)

StoneCut
January 24th, 2008, 22:47
Hhhm ... well here's *my* personal opinion on all this and since you've been all been ranting I might as well do the same:

AhMan has been in the scene for a long time and iR Shell has come a really long way along with him. These days, iR Shell is a mature application that utilizes the PSP's potential to the maximum possible given the hardware and software constraints put in place by Sony.

However, from a developer's point of view there's not much else to do with iR Shell. Any fancy new features simply cannot be implemented due to memory limitations, for example. Basically, all that's left is update iR Shell for all the latest custom firmware updates and maybe fix some bugs here and there and do little tweaks. That's not only very cumbersome due to the various kernel patches that iR Shell applies but also very boring for a developer.

The next aspect to consider is that iR Shell was always developed for AhMan's own entertainment. He decided to share it with us all and we can use it or leave it be. He doesn't owe anyone anything. He also doesn't owe anyone the source code because it's his intellectual property and he can do whatever he wants with it. I personally also doubt that very many developers would really be able to reverse engineer the No-UMD and other kernel patches that iR Shell applies whenever a new firmware release gets out and hence take iR Shell to the next level. Sure, these developers do exist but they got projects of their own ...

You can trust my word that AhMan is certainly not after the "fame". Just why do you think there is no *official* forum where AhMan supports iR Shell ? It's because he does not want to support it. He doesn't really care if you use it or not, either. The only time new features were implemented was when AhMan himself wanted to have them or when his real supporters (read: donators and other people who helped him) asked for these features and he liked the idea, too.

As for AhMan having retired before. Yes, that is true. He did retire from the scene once before. However, the only reason he came back is because people (including me) constantly nagged him to make a new public release (there were private betas for supporters). Finally, he made a public release and in return he got bitched at as to why doesn't this work and how to do that and so on ... people in this scene are not very grateful, I feel.

Also, has it ever appeared to any of you people that some of these developers may also have jobs and lives/family or whatever that keep them very busy at times ?! Not everyone who has a PSP is a kid or teenager, you know. Time is something that I, too, find very valuable these days and it can only be spent on so many things at a time.

And now, enjoy the upcoming final iR Shell release and please let AhMan finally enjoy his public retirement afterwards.

wraggster
January 24th, 2008, 22:54
Thanks Stonecut for your post, im sure all real fans thank Ahman for his work and for posting here at DCEmu.

Can users here please show the respect that this coder deserves.

Lets also stop the fighting or feel the wrath of Yaustar. If you have nothing nice or at the least constructive to say then say nothing.

djbrotherson
January 24th, 2008, 23:24
irshell is nice but its not all that

the only thing i liked was being able to run other programs while listening to music... just waiting for a new music.prx.

A program that allows you to perform commands like cut copy paste delete move etc... would be nice, kinda like irshell but a little bit more basic