PDA

View Full Version : CycloDS or R4DS?

dankoni
January 23rd, 2008, 20:05
Easy question. I am getting a DS Lite for my fiance's birthday, and I'm wondering what card I should get for it. Right now, I'm between the CycloDS and the R4DS.

What is your opinion on these two, or others if you prefer something else to these two.

Thanks all!

zach5555
January 23rd, 2008, 20:12
cyclods, it has full compatibility with all games, and it gets new features all the time, like for example, realtime save and load. Thats what i got, just make sure you buy it with at least a 1gb card

dankoni
January 23rd, 2008, 20:16
Thanks for the quick reply. I am leaning toward the CycloDS... especially since I am not looking to run GBA (at least, not yet).

So CycoDS and a 2GB card... anything else I'll need?

dankoni
January 23rd, 2008, 21:40
I dunno now. I'm reading some pretty good arguments on both sides.

From a seller on another forum:

ozmodchps says:
I don't think anyone can go past the new r4s/m3s
they are cheap, and have great features

Don't get me wrong, cyclos are great, but:

1. If you aren't going to use the extra features, there is no point in paying extra
2. the amount that are faulty is a lot higher than the amount of r4s.

----

People have been waiting for the cyclo on our site for 4 weeks +, if someone get a faulty one when it comes in, they are going to be pretty pissed.

They could have been happy with the R4/M3 for a month by now

dankoni
January 23rd, 2008, 22:57
On the other hand, people make a big deal about price difference and the CycloDS doesn't seem much more expensive to me: $5-$10...

But, I guess I am just talking to myself here.

SpeedGamer
January 24th, 2008, 08:01
Where I am the Cyclo is much more expensive than the R4 so I bought R4 but it cannot handle higher than 2G mem cards.

Then I saw the M3 real with GBA wich is more advanced with an unbeatably integrated GBA system...

So I bought it also & am going to tell it like it is and state that for a total solution:

The CycloDS + EZFlash 3-in-1 cannot beat the M3DS Real + GBA Expansion Pack.

EZ 3-in-1 needs homebrew and has no auto-patching for certain games saves.

Cyclo needs to step up their game as I see even much cheaper new cards like the "DSTT" coming out with alot advanced features!

M3 Real + Rumble Pack + GBA expansion Pack... Rules!

dankoni
January 24th, 2008, 12:54
Well... I guess there's no final answer here. Tough decision. Thanks for the input!

dankoni
January 25th, 2008, 15:01
After a couple more days of research, I am now stuck between the M3 Real bundle (with GBA cart) and the CycloDS.

I was also considering the AceKard RPG, but now I'm firmly sat between M3 Real and CycloDS. Ugh!

dankoni
January 25th, 2008, 19:56
I decided on a CycloDS Evo (Black) with a EZV 3-in-1 from RealHotStuff.com

I've never used them, but their ratings are great and they are located one state over from me in NJ, so shipping should be really fast.

One of the main reasons I chose the CycloDS is that this DS is a present for my fiance. I read that the CycloDS has a really nice and easy UI. Plus, I can skin it with some Hello Kitty for her, which will match the pink DS nicely =)

Thanks for all the help guys! That decision was A LOT tougher than I thought it would be. Sorry M3, maybe next time.

protoss139
March 16th, 2008, 07:01
Actually i think the r4ds would be more dependable but not for the sake of argument, i simply think that its a great little device that has many unique abilities but to tell the truth ive done much reserch and i believe its at equal playing field between the cyclo ds acer and r4 so my opinion is pick a card lol.

healeydave
May 9th, 2009, 10:19
CycloDS every time, I have purchased around 10 of these for family & friends over the last couple of years.

After opening for the first time & updating to latest version, adding Moonshell, never had to touch the Cyclo itself. It just works flawlessly.

We have built up a nice film library now and with 8Gb sticks, as a family of four, we have used them for several hours on plane journeys from uk to usa & back. Makes for a great entertainment package when the in-flight stuff is not up to scratch!

Just looking at buying some more and spotted this thread, noticed it works with DSi too :-)

papajohns
May 17th, 2009, 21:05
cyclods in my eyes is the best card available but very expensive r4 works good too but not as good quality, got mine from http://www.consolemodz.com

Wolfman774
May 17th, 2009, 21:54
R4DS is realy reliable, I dismanteled mine in my school cafetieria and then put it back together again and it still works. I dont use the menu muck anyway because I use moonshell 2 stable whitch has an unbeatable file list thingy. but acekard is spossed to be the best, I am thinking about getting a acekard2i for my DSi when I get it (I am still a bit short, how much do game station give for tradein DS lites?), even tho I will not be able to use my saves as far as I know (There is a save converter, but I does not like my R4 saves).

papajohns
August 12th, 2009, 15:57
cyclods is definately the best quality card out there i got mine from official reseller http://www.consolemodz.com r4 is good too but there is lots of counterfeit cards out there so be careful it is a lot cheaper