vmu
August 3rd, 2005, 00:20
VirtuaMUnstaz just released a first version of NetHack for the PSP:

Download here: http://virtuamunstaz.de/nh/

Features:

Graphics Tiles
Save and Restore
Support for .nethackrc in game dir
Support for common keys (mapped to buttons)

For details button config read README.PSP in the archive.

Have fun in the mazes of menace.

VirtuaMUnstaz

JcBoyCool
August 3rd, 2005, 02:39
I am sorry for being a super noob i guess but can you tell me what net hack is? What I got from the site is " nethack is one of the best games ever. you have missed something if you never played it." Like what kind of game is it?

Jdemon
August 3rd, 2005, 03:16
Thanks...not very exciting yet, but interesting looking png files.

vmu
August 3rd, 2005, 08:47
Nethack is a dungeon exploration game. It is the mother of games like Diablo. From nethack.org:

--
What is NetHack?
NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game that runs on a wide variety of computer systems, with a variety of graphical and text interfaces all using the same game engine. Unlike many other Dungeons & Dragons-inspired games, the emphasis in NetHack is on discovering the detail of the dungeon and not simply killing everything in sight - in fact, killing everything in sight is a good way to die quickly. Each game presents a different landscape - the random number generator provides an essentially unlimited number of variations of the dungeon and its denizens to be discovered by the player in one of a number of characters: you can pick your race, your role, and your gender.
--

Its an extremly complex game that allows you to combine and do almost everything with items in that game. One who never played nethack should read the Guidebook (http://www.nethack.org/v343/Guidebook.html).

This game has been around since 1985 on various computer systems. It all started with text based graphics on old computer terminals.

VirtuaMUnstaz.

DDRLord
August 3rd, 2005, 16:16
Great port of what's hands-down the best dungeon crawl out there (except for maybe IVAN, which is Nethack based but includes a very fun little limb-based damage system.) It's kind of tough to get started, since it has so many different key combinations (and I'll be honest, it's even tougher to do with all the PSP keys being that mixed up) but once you get the hang of it it's downright addictive.
As soon as you guys add either a virtual keyboard or some other interface (who knows, maybe you'll go wild and just redo it graphically) I'll definitely jump back on the Nethack bandwagon.

wraggster
August 3rd, 2005, 18:39
thanks for the release and newsposted on here and PSPWIKI :)

parabolee
August 3rd, 2005, 18:46
Looks very interesting, worth keeping an eye on. Nicer graphics would certainly lure me in for a game of what some call "The best RPG ever"..

vmu
August 3rd, 2005, 19:26
The first goal was to get it running. Better key handling or even menu selectable entries are next. This port is based on glHacks SDL implementation and still needs better psp compatible handling. In contrast to other graphics based implementations (QT) this port does not implement menu windows and relies on keyboard commands. But it was the best shot for porting with the excellent SDL implementation of the PSP.

I even thought about implementing a virtual keyboard for SDL. And maybe someone can try to create new tiles for the 16x16 or 32x32 tiles.

sluggo
August 3rd, 2005, 21:32
You might consider implementing the text input method that the Angband/ToME games use.

Or maybe an on-screen keyboard and setup the analog stick to use the mouse cursor and have "O" button select the letters.

Nice port. Which tileset does it use by default? Can it be changed?

Can we change the folder name to hide the corrupt icon?

DDRLord
August 4th, 2005, 04:21
Looks very interesting, worth keeping an eye on. Nicer graphics would certainly lure me in for a game of what some call "The best RPG ever"..
Woah, woah, woah, WOAH.
Time out.
Nobody ever said RPG.
It's a dungeon crawl (or dungeon exploration game, if you prefer.)
In fact, the entire plot consists of two to three sentences they show in the beggining.
It's more like what would happen if you took Diablo and removed the other characters.
Just thought I'd give you a warning, because I'd hate for you to be dissapointed on your first run. ;)

djarcas
August 4th, 2005, 14:12
Am I the only person this doesn't run for? I'm on a 1.00 PSP, and it simply takes me back to the front end when I run the game.

vmu
August 4th, 2005, 17:55
Nice port. Which tileset does it use by default? Can it be changed?

Can we change the folder name to hide the corrupt icon?

The tile set it uses is the 16x16 and is gltile16.png in the folder.
You change it to the 32x32 or 64x64 (isometric) by editing .nethackrc in the NetHack directory (may be hidden on unix systems):

OPTIONS=tile_height:32

As for the folder name: I currently set the absolute folder name in Nethack as a static string but will change it to the directory of argv[0] to remove the corrupted icon. Don't change it yet or nethack won't work.

sluggo
August 14th, 2005, 03:55
Any word on a new nethack update?

vmu
August 14th, 2005, 21:05
I am working on it.

- the nethackdir is now the Game dir
- fixed corrupt icon
- centered dialog/info boxes
- fixed RIP display (caused nethack to die)
- fixed exit
- added a mouse emulation on the analog stick (for test)

Right now I am fighting with the pspsdk which does not compile on my virtual pc. I need a linux box to compile the dungeon data as the endianess of the mac is wrong. I will post an update a.s.a.p.

sluggo
August 15th, 2005, 01:40
thanks for the update vmu!

parabolee
August 15th, 2005, 21:51
Woah, woah, woah, WOAH.
Time out.
Nobody ever said RPG.
It's a dungeon crawl (or dungeon exploration game, if you prefer.)
In fact, the entire plot consists of two to three sentences they show in the beggining.
It's more like what would happen if you took Diablo and removed the other characters.
Just thought I'd give you a warning, because I'd hate for you to be dissapointed on your first run. ;)

LOL, no problem, I knew it wasn't a "RPG" anyway.

I like old school games though, so if they get the graphics looking a little nicer (just a little) I'll check it out.

vmu
August 17th, 2005, 22:54
Update: 1.0b released. You may not see many changes. Its mainly code cleanup and understanding of the sources. The game data and saves are now stored in the game dir. I also fixed the corrupted icon display. More keys have been added to be able to wear and take of armor and items. A mouse emulation has been added and can be used to select items. Make sure you read the Guidebook on nethack.org and adapt the file .nethackrc in the game dir.

I am now able to cross compile the data files and will focus on a soft keyboard now.

Download from http://virtuamunstaz.de/nh/NetHackPSP-1.0b.zip

wraggster
August 17th, 2005, 23:14
thanks for the release :)

Arwin
August 18th, 2005, 11:02
I am now able to cross compile the data files and will focus on a soft keyboard now.

For a quick keyboard hack, you could consider p-sprint ... shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes or so and you'd have a full 102 keys emulated. I just released a .c/.h file package for it (not yet tested, but should work easily enough). I'll gladly help out implementing it and making any adjustments you might need - my goal with p-sprint is making something that programmers can easily use into their software.

The charm of p-sprint is that you don't necessarily need anything else on-screen.

Just send me a pm with a messenger or email address ...

To give you a quick impression of how some of the buttons are mapped (it does not show all keys, like insert, f1-f12 and so on, but they are all also mapped):

http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/images/keygroup1qwerty_black.gif

Arwin
August 18th, 2005, 14:16
Update: the .c / .h package works now ( http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/p_sprint63a-include.rar )

DaylightBombings
August 29th, 2005, 05:59
many of the keys are missing; i hope they can have them all set up soon.

hbk2005v1
August 29th, 2005, 08:29
Would this work with 1.51 or 1.52 or 2.00 firmware has any 1 tested it

Hookipabound
August 29th, 2005, 08:34
Nice. And No it does not.

IveGotThePawa
January 26th, 2006, 19:13
Nice. And No it does not.

Well I'll have to disagree... I've managed to get it to work with Fanjita's 0.9c Loader. I have a PSP 2.0.

http://www.fanjita.org/psp_working.html

What a HUGE avatar btw, can you make it bigger? ;)

IveGotThePawa
January 26th, 2006, 19:33
Update: 1.0b released.

The URL here doens't seem to work. Do you need help with anything? Are you planning to release the source code someday, so noobs like me can try to understand how you made it work?

Thanks for you time btw, I can't wait for a fully playable version :D

Pawa

vmu
March 12th, 2006, 11:34
Thanks to IveGotThePawa an updated version of Nethack for the PSP will be released in short time. Lets say after CeBIT, which is about end of next week.

vmu.

Elsid
March 12th, 2006, 11:42
thanks man.

eugenemcardle
March 13th, 2006, 01:31
Also runs on 2.6 with eLoader

Nevuk
October 4th, 2006, 02:34
Does this work?