PDA

View Full Version : Coding Help

thehumanidiot
January 24th, 2008, 23:38
Is there anyway to load another code file from your main one, like something used in gunnar hero? If so, how?

yaustar
January 25th, 2008, 00:43
Huh?

As in loading data files? Please give an example.

thehumanidiot
January 25th, 2008, 00:49
im going to try to create a psp version of guitar hero, what i want to do is to have a song folder were i could have code or something like that in it for the notes of the song, instead of implementing it in the main code

yaustar
January 26th, 2008, 23:55
Short answer, yes. You can load external data files to work with your game.

thehumanidiot
January 27th, 2008, 17:06
do you know of any tutorials that will show me how to?

Addy771
January 27th, 2008, 20:15
Well, if you know all the basics for file reading/writing you can write a function to parse the files and execute them.

Wally
January 28th, 2008, 06:01
Read the SDK Samples. They are there for a reason

thehumanidiot
January 28th, 2008, 12:00
I looked in the SDK Samples, but i couldn't find what I was looking for.
EDIT: I was looking around on the internet and found an #include function. This would work if I could change the file i was opening, but i don't know how to do that.

yaustar
January 28th, 2008, 12:25
Google "File IO C".

thehumanidiot
April 1st, 2008, 00:57
sorry for this extremly late post, but i havn't been on the computer in a long time, i found some stuff but it only showed me how to read and edit numbers or something, im trying to be able to have an entire function in a seperate file and run from my main file whenever i please

yaustar
April 3rd, 2008, 02:19
Unless you plan on integrating a scripting language with your game, you can't do that nor do I see a reason why you need to.

For example, the step files for Dance with Intensity (DDR clone):
http://dwi.ddruk.com/readme.php#4

TacticalPenguin
April 5th, 2008, 05:13
Not to put down your project, but if you can't read data from a file how do you expect to clone guitar hero?