PDA

View Full Version : playing imports

mxz600
August 3rd, 2005, 14:11
what is needed to play imported games. i have a US version game, wanted to play either jap or uk games. do i need a mod chip or boot disc or something?

Darksaviour69
August 3rd, 2005, 14:47
both a mod chip or a boot disc will do it (its just handy with a mod chip)
http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/playing_imports.shtml

u can get a demo verison of CDX from here

WSOUNitePirate895
August 3rd, 2005, 23:53
Best one to try would be the boot discs that should still be in the Dreamcast Emulation Site that I think dcemu now controls (if not sure who runs the site but it used to always link to dcemu). I downloaded my Utopia from their ages ago, so not sure if its still available. http://www.dcemulation.com/
direct link: http://www.dchomebrew.org/dchbboot.shtml

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2005, 10:45
those boot disks are for homebrew, not commerial games, dcemulation.com is a completely different site. they used to host Utopia (as well as other illegal stuff) but it has now been removed from the site. Utopia does boot alot of imports but the CDX demo is better

flaming_carrot
August 4th, 2005, 11:54
"a lot"? Why wouldn't it boot them all?

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2005, 12:03
it just don't ;)

some imports will not boot with any import disk!

flaming_carrot
August 4th, 2005, 14:35
Seems a little strange since the region check is in the BIOS and not in the games, and once it's NOP'd, all regions should work. I assume these games don't boot with modchips either?

Darksaviour69
August 4th, 2005, 14:38
don't know if the mod chip boots all imports but i do know it and other boot discs can play imports that Utopia can't

mxz600
August 4th, 2005, 20:38
the reason im asking this is because i want to play REZ import. i have never played an import before, if its japan region, will it all be in japanese? or is there english versions of imports or what. don't see the point of playing an import if i cannot read the text. and if its a japan game, why is REZ spelt in english text and not japanese funny letters?

beetroot bertie
August 4th, 2005, 22:13
That's just the way it is. All my japanese games that I play on my PAL DC have english titles on the covers.

Usually one spine of the CD box is in Japanese, the other in English. I only have 8 Japanese titles so this may not be the rule but it certainly applies to me.

If you want all the instructions and in game text in english for Rez then you may have to buy the PAL version of Rez but to be honest it's not the sort of game that requires any reading anyway and you could always find English instructions on the web if you wanted. If you can get the Japanese version cheap I'd say go for it as the PAL version is getting harder to track down and may be expensive. I was lucky enough to get a really good conditioned second hand version for a tenner. Either way it's a great game.

Incidently, all the instuctions in the games I have are in more or less total Japanese apart from the odd word here and there - that's why I only have shoot em ups and fighting games. I think it's when it comes down to large adventures and RPG's that you're really going to need some grasp of the Japanese language to play them.

bender
August 5th, 2005, 15:47
I think the DC-X plays some imports that Utopia and gameshark CDX don't (someone said a while ago in an spanish site, that also makes your Grandia2 run at 60hz on PAL consoles :-) ).
I heard main problem of imports are multi-disc games, like d2 .