PDA

View Full Version : lxdream WIP news - Linux booting

JKKDARK
January 26th, 2008, 17:24
From the official site (http://www.lxdream.org/news/archives/34):

After fixing some boneheadedness in the ASIC event code (and a whole passel of translator caching and other bugs), I’ve finally gotten to the login prompt:

(to clarify, this is the dreamcast-linux-010605 ISO that Takeshi Yaegashi put together several years ago, running a modified 2.4.5 kernel)

Unfortunately (after the happy dance), it was at this point that I realised I haven’t actually implemented the keyboard yet, so it’s impossible to do anything useful with it. It’s also admittedly painfully slow to start, but I was expecting that (TLB lookup is currently near pessimal).

Anyway, working on the keyboard driver now ^_^.

PS: If anyone has a working link to this image, please let me know where it is (I’d like to keep a link to it) - my google-fu has utterly failed to turn up a good version as yet, and my own copy is only on a somewhat scratched CD…

Changes

* Add VMA support to the SH4 disassembly functions
* Handle out-of-page delay slot execution with emulation single-step
* Finish translator breakpoint implementation
* Fix a pair of long standing ASIC event bugs
* Fix xltcache forgetting to clear references to blocks before overwriting them
* Fix recovery + backpatch records not being position independent (big duh!)
* Fix yet another translate block bounds overrun
* Fix MAC.L/MAC.W exception handling (broke the stack if the second arg caused an exception)
* Fix various other minor bugs

Update: Just hacked together a quick keyboard driver, able to login and launch X now. Excellent…

Elven6
January 26th, 2008, 19:57
So what is this? Is this for the PC emulator? Or is it for the Dreamcast itself?

JKKDARK
January 26th, 2008, 20:08
It's a Dreamcast emulator ofr PC (Windows, Linux, Mac).
And it's running the Linux software on Dreamcast emulator. (the same Linux software that you use in your Dreamcast console)