PDA

View Full Version : The DCEmu Interview - Question 9 - Whats the Greatest Emulator Released?

wraggster
January 27th, 2008, 00:54
http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/dcemu2008.gif

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Whats the Greatest Emulator Released?

Give your Answer via Comments.

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/) to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-1-what-consoles-do-you-own--82867.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-2-whats-your-favourite-console-of-all-time-83029.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-3-whats-your-new-years-resolution--83130.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-4-what-got-you-interested-in-homebrew-emulation--83212.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-5-whats-the-greatest-game-ever--83477.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-6-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-console--83559.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 7 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Handheld? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-7-whats-the-greatest-homebrew-handheld--83580.html)
The DCEmu Interview - Question 8 - Whos the Greatest Homebrew Hacker/Coder and Why ? (http://interviews.dcemu.co.uk/the-dcemu-interview-question-8-whos-the-greatest-homebrew-hacker-coder-and-why--85365.html)

wraggster
January 27th, 2008, 00:56
A really hard one this, for me a toss up between Bleem and Ultrahle

Those 2 emulators stunned the emulation world and deserve their place in history

Ill choose both :)

kaffie
January 27th, 2008, 00:57
For time spent using (last year at least) its the Playstation emu for the PSP. Thanks for that Christmas!

DarthPaul
January 27th, 2008, 01:36
A really hard one this, for me a toss up between Bleem and Ultrahle

Those 2 emulators stunned the emulation world and deserve their place in history

Ill choose both :)

And those emulate what...?

Well, I think my favorite is gpSP. I like VirtuaBoy and Nemu64 too.

VampDude
January 27th, 2008, 01:42
Project 64, although it's not perfect.

VexnadFett
January 27th, 2008, 01:53
i fancy popstation ^^

supersoni88
January 27th, 2008, 01:54
And those emulate what...?

Well, I think my favorite is gpSP. I like VirtuaBoy and Nemu64 too.

"Bleem!" was commercial PlayStation emulator the let u play PSX games on your dreamcast and i think PC's..and Ultrahle is an early N64 emulator for the PC that came out in 1999 (3 years after the N64 came out)...
you should use google sometime...

my vote is for bleem though, i was just using it on my dreamcast a couple hours ago =D

JKKDARK
January 27th, 2008, 02:03
pcsx2

Eric
January 27th, 2008, 03:32
Well im going to do it by Console if thats okay

Dreamcast - Neo Geo CD
Playstation - It Might Be Nes
Nintendo DS - Sega Genesis
PC - Chankast
Xbox 1 - Playstation

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 03:42
There's too many excellent emulators to choose one.

I'd say:

Bleemcast! for Dreamcast
Surreal64 for Xbox
SNES Station for Playstation 2
Ocarina of Time (N64) Emulator for Gamecube
Popstation/Daedalus for PSP
It might be NES for Playstation
SNES9x for Sega Saturn
Pocket S/NES for Gameboy Advance
That SNES Emulator for DS (I forget its name :p)
ZSNES/Project64/nullDC for PC

DarthPaul
January 27th, 2008, 04:03
"Bleem!" was commercial PlayStation emulator the let u play PSX games on your dreamcast and i think PC's..and Ultrahle is an early N64 emulator for the PC that came out in 1999 (3 years after the N64 came out)...

Holy... emulate PSX on Dreamcast. That's awesome. I didn't know the Dreamcast was that cool.

you should use google sometime...

I didn't feel like it at the moment. I'm a Google addict, believe me.

Thanks for the information.

supersoni88
January 27th, 2008, 04:24
Holy... emulate PSX on Dreamcast. That's awesome. I didn't know the Dreamcast was that cool.

I didn't feel like it at the moment. I'm a Google addict, believe me.

Thanks for the information.

no problem :)
btw didnt mean to come off kinda rude

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 04:29

Bleemcast emulates a few games perfectly and actually enhances the original game (Metal Gear Solid for example). But since Bleem had to deal with legal issues, they are no more :( . On the other hand games like Mortal Kombat Trilogy run better on Bleemcast than PCSXbox while many others hardly play at all. Either way, its definitely a worthy emulator.

bah
January 27th, 2008, 04:43
Although its not technically and emulator I would say SCUMMVM. You can never have have too much DOTT. :)

Also BeebEm (ported to PSP by ZX as PSPBeeb).

It seems the games I played when I was say under 13 are the ones that I really enjoy going back and playing now.

osgeld
January 27th, 2008, 06:45
mame and bleem

HI-Saturn
January 27th, 2008, 07:22
All of the Emu's listed are excellent emu's however I'd have to say the best Emulator of all time is M.A.M.E.

RV2006
January 27th, 2008, 08:31
I vote for the first ever emulator.
Without that, we would never know if emulation was possible...
(I wish I knew what it was)

mike_jmg
January 27th, 2008, 09:25
I'll say gPSP (games run better than in my old computer that was like 3 times the psp's specs)

Then Zsnes (every game runs perfectly, I have no Idea why they say is a beta)

And last but not least Final Burn and Neorage X

those are my top 3

jhontikis
January 27th, 2008, 10:29
Yep, MAME should be the one. The work they have put on this seems tremendous.

newb_fo_life
January 27th, 2008, 13:12
I think im going to have to go with gens works really great every time

ian h
January 27th, 2008, 13:44
id have to say gpsp just for the fact there is no hassle changing the setting on games, its already full speed with no problems straight out of the box say.

onetwentyeight
January 27th, 2008, 14:45
gpsp seems to randomly freeze on me at bad times and getting the proper rom version for mame always drove me nuts. glad someone mentioned neoragex - probably the emu i used the most in my life until i discovered the handheld homebrew community.

how about the emu we're being forced to wait for: ps2 using only the cell and rsx on the 40gb ps3? what's the matter, sony: not selling enough slim ps2s? i have little intention of keeping my original phat ps2 with all of its empty space waiting for a single game serving hard drive when i eventually acquire a ps3.

ojdon
January 27th, 2008, 14:55
Well I have got to say that Gens, was the first emulator I ever downloaded and it's basically perfect it runs basically every Megadrive game etc.

Pspwise, I love Project64, PicoDrive, Popstation, GpPSP and a load more. ^^"

NOCHUCK
January 27th, 2008, 16:20
Popstation and Picodrive for the PSP. Not gonna say thier the best of all time but thier the most useful to me.

Hypershell
January 27th, 2008, 16:39
Goomba. Fills in the gap of Nintendo's legacy that they've been neglecting in all this retro-marketing stuff. Paletted version allows user-created borders, and Goomba Color allows SGB borders and GBC support (at the same time!). Too bad the GBA is simply not fast enough to emulate all GBC games at full speed, but it comes amazingly close to what all thought impossible before it was released. When Dwedit gets a DS version out, with speed issues fixed, that will truly be my happiest day in homebrew since I first discovered Moonshell.

gunntims0103
January 27th, 2008, 16:45
well popstation isnt really a emulator, its more of a hack. But that would get my vote. Playstation on the go is just to good.

If i had to pick another id say Project 64 for its excellence in the field of Nintendo 64 emulation on a PC.

Triv1um
January 27th, 2008, 19:50
Bleem!

king-killa
January 27th, 2008, 20:09
Project 64 gets my vote.

brinstar
January 27th, 2008, 20:49
zsnes
recent cps3 emulator (arcade SF3 emulated at last)
visualboyadvance
mame32
snemulds
winuae
snes9x

Eviltaco64
January 27th, 2008, 22:00
zsnes
recent cps3 emulator (arcade SF3 emulated at last)
visualboyadvance
mame32
snemulds
winuae
snes9x

Definitely one of the greatest is the newest versions of MAME32++ 119 or something. Playing Third Strike on Kaillera is amazing!

CPX3 on Xbox is also a very good CPS3 emulator (no lag!!)

rleonar5
January 28th, 2008, 01:16
Ultrahle.

This thing was WAY ahead of it's time. It came out like only a few years after the N64 and it could play all the best titles (Mario, Mario kart, Zelda, Golden eye). Back then most people did not have very fast computers, but this thing could perfectly emulate games like zelda with sound at full speed with only like a 500MHz processor and a 128MB of ram.

Yes the good old days when roms were downloaded from direct links on web sites and emu's required glide wrappers.

Here's to the gods RealityMan and Epsilon!

psykotine
January 28th, 2008, 11:06
for PC : Kawaks rocks !!!:thumbup:

for DC : NEO4ALL:p

thanks Chui for you're great work!

Emulation_Chief
January 28th, 2008, 21:43
Hello:

Definitely, my favorite and the one I consider the best emulator is NeoRAGE for windows.

Agret
January 29th, 2008, 10:13
Ultrahle.

This thing was WAY ahead of it's time. It came out like only a few years after the N64 and it could play all the best titles (Mario, Mario kart, Zelda, Golden eye). Back then most people did not have very fast computers, but this thing could perfectly emulate games like zelda with sound at full speed with only like a 500MHz processor and a 128MB of ram.

Yes the good old days when roms were downloaded from direct links on web sites and emu's required glide wrappers.

QFT ^__^

Basil Zero
February 25th, 2008, 07:18
I would have to say, its SNES9x, simple and very detailed.

Project64 despite its bugs, is also good =)

User-friendly ftw =)

Zense
March 10th, 2008, 19:40
Zsnes. It's the one I've spent the most time using. Also maybe the first one I used. The dev's of it has worked on it long, I'm not sure if they have quit yet, but it's not so long since 1.51 came out.

alanparker05
March 17th, 2008, 23:28
nulldc, it's far from perfect but dreamcast games play at full speed and you get to play some of the greatest console games ever made

imoneofthem
April 6th, 2008, 14:54
Ultrahle.

That was a rather informative read, thanks ^_^

My personal favourite is MAME, emulating your favourite arcade titles on your personal computer and the project has been ongoing now for many years.

Snes9X is also a wonderful emulator because it has a built in netplay function where in the old days I used to play titles like bomberman again my brother on our PC2PC connection via a CAT5 crossover cable.

VisualGBA, PCSX, Gens and also Project64 have always been great emlators too.

Hmmm I wonder what's the progress so far on the networkmulti-link for GBA roms *searches*

Eviltaco64
April 6th, 2008, 16:36
I would say ZSNES if they fixed the sound effects in Super Mario World. Seriously, that really bothers me, and I'd think they wouldve come up with SOMETHING by now as its a lot easier to emulate than more advanced SNES titles.

I would say either MAME32 119++, Kawaks, Kega Fusion, or Project64 myself

alexzander
April 14th, 2008, 14:58
Fusion(sega emulator)

MHentai
April 15th, 2008, 00:00
nesticle and callus.

mike111
May 17th, 2008, 12:54
I've played this game and will admit that game pwned. I can't remember if it was this year or not, though. Either way, I loved it.
Cool Game.

kharaboudjan
May 17th, 2008, 21:53
GBA :

Goomba ( Game boy and Game boy color)
Pocket NES
SMS Advanced ( Sega Master System & Game Gear)

PSP:

1. Popstation
2. Picodrive
3. CPS2 + the others made by NJ
4. gpSP

NeroMaverick
June 3rd, 2008, 08:56
Comes down to PSX emulation vs. Snes emulation

Its really difficult to say, Bleem did pioneer psx emulation as we know it... and even allowed me to run PSX games on my really really old win98 emachine computer, It was very well programmed... but they pissed off sony, and had to drop support altogether... I still have the disk I bought from gamestop :P

I would say N64... but its support always seems limited to either PC or the actual system... and I guess a little bit of XBOX, buggy as hell tho.

In the place of N64 I have to say Snes9x... We see it everywhere now, the Snes9x core owns the super Nintendo emulating scene. Its on Wii, GC, PSP, PC, DS?, GP2X, GP32, etc. Also, the snes had some of the best games ever, very worthwhile games to play.

I guess in my final score, I'd have to say Snes9x Core is the greatest emulator released. Followed by Bleem (for crappy PCs) and PCSX (for faster PCs)

Doesn't it go something like this on the order of homebrew?:
Hello World/Proof of Concept
Pong
Tetris
Snes9x

just a thought :P

pepe55
October 27th, 2008, 09:01
Dosbox
Popstation

Agret
October 27th, 2008, 21:56
Oh yeah, I forgot about those two. Dosbox is really really good and popstation is virtually flawless, however it's also a commercial emulator so you may as well include wii virtual console in that.

Scoe
June 16th, 2009, 00:25
I have this problem where I can not pick just one of anything. So I pick the following emulators for the greatest emulators ever. Bleemcast, Dreamsnes and mamed.

psyfirefly
March 15th, 2010, 17:05
These are the emulators I use for the systems I emulate, in most cases they are the best available:

WinAPE for Amstrad CPC/Plus series
NESDS for NES
VisualBoy Advance for GBA
Snes9x for SNES
STeem for Atari ST