PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico legislators consider video game tax for outdoor programs

wraggster
January 27th, 2008, 21:22
The mainstream media and other non-consumers of video games have been portraying gamers as pasty, bleary-eyed shut-ins since the 8-bit days -- aside from some bruised feelings, that stereotype never really did us any harm. However, a recent proposal of the powerful environmental organization The Sierra Club to the New Mexico state legislature may put a dent in the pockets of consumers and retailers living in the Land of Enchantment.

The proposal calls for a 1 percent sales tax on televisions and video games; the proceeds of which would go to "outdoor education programs". According to an article in the Huffington Post, these programs would counteract the negative effects of video games -- "lower academic scores, obesity, and increased attention-deficit disorder." Supporters of the "No Child Left Inside" movement tried to pass a similar bill last year, but were unsuccessful.

Unsurprisingly, gaming advocacy groups have spoken out against the bill's obvious shortcomings, such as its assumption that video games are the sole contributor to childhood obesity, lower grades and ADD. We couldn't agree more. The only weight we've gained from being gaming enthusiasts is from our skin growing thicker due to constant attacks on our lifestyle.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/26/new-mexico-legislators-consider-video-game-tax-for-outdoor-progr/

F9zDark
January 27th, 2008, 22:22
I don't know about the rest of you, but games do not cause or contribute to ADD. Ever see a kid with ADD playing a game? You wouldn't know he or she had ADD, since they are so enthralled by the game, they can't take their eyes off of it.

Now make some educational video games and maybe these kids won't have lower scores.

As well, since the pharmaceutical companies damn near own the doctors in the US, its in the doctor's best interest to diagnose these disorders, since they get "bonuses" from these companies for prescribing their drugs.

How about we change the way our whole society works before looking for scapegoats.

Oh and just so you all know, the little known secret that no pharmaceutical company wants you to know, is that a $1.25 cup of coffee has enough caffeine to combat the symptoms of ADD; rather than paying for a 50 dollar or more prescription...

The_It
January 28th, 2008, 00:21
As long as there are dumb lazy fat kids, people will always blame video games for their problems. I have seen some kids where this actually is the case though. It's sad, but some people just don't have the willpower to prevent video games from ruining their lives.

Oh and just so you all know, the little known secret that no pharmaceutical company wants you to know, is that a $1.25 cup of coffee has enough caffeine to combat the symptoms of ADD; rather than paying for a 50 dollar or more prescription...

Another cheap thing is raw garlic. It can help prevent colds and other sicknesses of that sort, or shorten them if you already caught it. My friend knows a guy that had asthma, I think, or some disease in the lung, when he started eating garlic, he didn't need his prescription anymore. I don't know how much raw garlic actually helps, but I guess it did some good for that guy. No doctor is ever going to tell you to eat a clove of garlic to fix you all up when he can just give you a $50 a moth prescription, thats for sure.

Shadowblind
January 28th, 2008, 00:26
Grow up, Sierra Club. Your immaturity makes you look more childish then any ADD video game addicted kid could.

Gene
January 28th, 2008, 03:49
What a bunch of dicks.

Why don't we put a $1 tax on every time someone says something stupid. What a load of corporal bullshit.

VampDude
January 28th, 2008, 03:57
1 percent isn't much.

Broadus
January 28th, 2008, 20:32
Glad I don't live in that crappy state! Just next to it.

Psyberjock
January 29th, 2008, 15:47
How about this, don't live in stupid ass New Mexico. Let them charge whatever they want in their stupid citizen losing state. It's a dump in the middle of the desert anyway. A hole in the earth that stinks of cow manure from El Paso to Phoenix. Screw those cow pokes and let them charge the 2 gamers that live in their state.

fpcreator2000
January 29th, 2008, 15:57
Actually, I blame my car for lack of exercise since I don't need to walk everywhere I need to go to.:D

But it's not my car's fault I'm fat, plus I love my car.:cool:

Parents are at fault for having fat kids who don't get out much. Responsible parents put a limit on how much their kids play games.

That's my two cents.

jamotto
January 29th, 2008, 21:09
This has a very real possibility to spread to all the states.

VampDude
January 30th, 2008, 01:43
How about this, don't live in stupid ass New Mexico. Let them charge whatever they want in their stupid citizen losing state. It's a dump in the middle of the desert anyway. A hole in the earth that stinks of cow manure from El Paso to Phoenix. Screw those cow pokes and let them charge the 2 gamers that live in their state.

Wow, ummm...

...Did you have to go that far?