PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Exploit - Run Unsigned Code w/o Modchip

wraggster
January 27th, 2008, 21:52
Via tehskeen (http://www.tehskeen.com/)

Here is a screen shot of an error in Zelda for the Nintendo Wii. So, what's so important about this particular error? Well, let's compare this to the GTA Exploit for the Sony PSP. Yes, that's right.

Bushing along with Segher have been able to modify a save game from Zelda to crash the machine and to run their own code on it. Note that you won't even need to "mod" your Nintendo Wii to run this exploit.

Yes, that's right - an exploit for the Nintendo Wii has been discovered and it allows you to run custom code. The method is pretty simple. Copy over a save file for Zelda, load it and the code runs. Don't get too excited yet. They have only been able to run 4 lines of code, but this is in a days work.

Segher was the one to find the exploit and Bushing has been testing it out with the aid of the USB Gecko. The process is far from simple as once you modify a save game it requires it be to signed with 3 keys. Here's some info from Bushing.

"Once the Wii decrypts the save game, it checks its signature. Every Wii has its own private key which is used to sign save games, and when you save a game, the Wii actually saves three bits of data:

* The encrypted save game
* The signature for the save game (using your console's private key)
* A copy of your console's public key, signed by Nintendo."

Of course, the end user wouldn't have to go through this process unless they were wanting to inject their own code into the save game, but that shouldn't be necessary because when I asked Bushing what his goal was he answered:

"Assuming we don't run into a wall, it should be able to lead to a homebrew loader. I hope. No promises. :)"

Screens Via Comments

CoinCollector
January 27th, 2008, 22:05
Oh man, this is exciting! Stuff is finally starting to happen in the Wii scene; first that one exploit at that hackers' conference and now this!

DPyro
January 27th, 2008, 22:34
Sweet. This looks promising, and with the recent PS3 exploit there should be some fun times ahead :D

sappo
January 27th, 2008, 22:50
Sweet. This looks promising, and with the recent PS3 exploit there should be some fun times ahead :D

That PS3 exploit is useless. Maybe even fake. Almost as the Warhawk one.

Necro Star
January 27th, 2008, 23:33
hes right, the wii exploit is so much more promising then the ps3.

ryan2006
January 27th, 2008, 23:37
lets just hope both will be sucessful exploits just imagine fullspeed n64 on ps3 and wii :D

Shadowblind
January 27th, 2008, 23:42
Wh00t! Great news, maybe even a PS2 emu on Wii? D(lol, no...) but as said before, let homebrew fill the world :D

Zimond
January 28th, 2008, 10:49
as the Terranian Marine said : "Hell...its about time!"

VampDude
January 28th, 2008, 12:13
lets just hope both will be sucessful exploits just imagine fullspeed n64 on ps3 and wii :D

N64 runs full speed anyway on VC, but an N64 emulator would be cool (wouldn't have to wait for VC releases). :)

Wh00t! Great news, maybe even a PS2 emu on Wii? D(lol, no...) but as said before, let homebrew fill the world :D

lol, the Wii is the least powerfullest console of this generation, PSone would be more likely and the best homebrew possible for the Wii's specifications :D

TheLucster
January 28th, 2008, 14:51
Very cool stuff!

There i already a PSone emulator for the GC: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58809 (Not sure how playable it is though...)

abeisgreat
January 28th, 2008, 16:48
Damnit I sold my copy of Zelda for WII

Xiofire
January 28th, 2008, 20:14
Hope this turns into something big :D

http://nintendo-scene.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/zeldahack.jpg

Nicko01
January 28th, 2008, 23:44
lol... is that image real? That would be quite funny.
I would really like to see this become homebrew.
Then comes my coding time. :P

GPF
January 29th, 2008, 19:04
here is an interview with bushing concerning this hack.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?SCID=14&CIID=102079&p=1

Troy(GPF)

DPyro
January 29th, 2008, 19:15
Ya, I'm still laughing at the idiots prematurely saying this is fake *cough* FreePlay

souLLy
January 29th, 2008, 19:30
nice find gpf :)

Nicko01
January 29th, 2008, 20:19
Yeah, that interview makes me believe in it a bit more. The guy doesn't seem to be lieing and he seems to know what he's doing. Everything seems to make sense and is well explained, unlike the various PS3 "hacks" which have been coming out lately.

VampDude
January 30th, 2008, 01:56
Wonder if the exploit works on a PAL console, cause I'm guessing that the guy used a NTSC console, hopefully the exploit when released with maybe a program won't be blocked by a region code set by the game.

phsychokill
February 2nd, 2008, 18:06
chances are the same bug is in the pal and ntsc versions of the game like it was with liberty city stories on the psp but the fact is if it is the same thing as the psp exploit a firmware patch could possibly block it in the future unless the people find a way round firmware updates such as a program like devhook or the custom firmwares for the psp as it would stop nintendo patching an already exploited wii.

Eviltaco64
February 2nd, 2008, 18:12
Alright! Soon I can play Playstation and Nintendo 64 games on emulators on the TV!
...Oh, wait, Xbox...

king-killa
February 3rd, 2008, 10:33
Awesome. This is neat! Can't wait to hear more.

160R
February 6th, 2008, 12:11
Alright! Soon I can play Playstation and Nintendo 64 games on emulators on the TV!
...Oh, wait, Xbox...

Soon you will be able to play homebrew games on Wii using the Wiimote. I think that's better :D

Time for other NDS-like homebrew games era :thumbup:

Dr Eggman
February 16th, 2008, 00:02
Hey guys, can someone post The new ELF loader (alpha1b) not alpha1

captainfate
February 29th, 2008, 23:31
any updates on this? :D