PDA

View Full Version : jEnesisDS 0.6

Lordus
January 27th, 2008, 22:03
Here is a new release of jEnesisDS. I am not absolutely satisfied with the state, but i think it's usable already.

Major changes in the new version:

- Custom Z80 ASM core implemented.
- Custom YM2612 and PSG emulation, running on the ARM7. So there is sound now ;)
- Many parts rewritten. Speed without Z80 core should be quite a bit faster for most games.
- Idle-loop detection completely rewritten. Shouldn't break any games anymore. Therefore the option to disable it was taken out.
- Some changes to the HW renderer. Some glitches should be gone, others were probably introduced. Will be rewritten for the next version.
- Tweaked H-Int auto detection, so less games should need the "ON" option to boot now.
- Mode-Button added (L+R+Start)
- Skipped option screen at startup, so you get directly into the game selection.

There is still a lot to do and i hope you wont have to wait as long for the coming version.
I know very well, that the sound is not perfect, but it's the best i could do in the time working on it, so please don't complain..
I am sure that i can improve it and i am positive that all games will run at full speed with sound one day.

If a game runs too slow, disable the Z80 by turning "Fake Z80" on - of course that will most likely turn off the sound as well (Except for games that have their sound driver on the main CPU, like Sonic, Gunstar Heroes and others).

Any feedback is welcome of course (except bad one ;P)

Download and Give Feedback & Compatability Reports Via Comments

blazingwolf
January 27th, 2008, 22:17
Lordus, you are AMAZING!

Thank you so so so much, it made what seem like an impossibility...possible!

I just can't say it enough, thank you, thank you! I appreciate all your hard work!

Sir_Voe
January 27th, 2008, 22:19
Simply amazing. Good sound in all the games I've tried so far:thumbup:. Thanks.

Manya47
January 27th, 2008, 22:43
fantastic. keep up the good work.

f00had
January 27th, 2008, 22:44
Great work, the sound works perfectly for all the games I've tried.

Only problem is when running games in EUR mode the sound is faster than it's supposed to be, but USA and JAP mode are fine.

housemonkey
January 27th, 2008, 22:50
Let me just use my first post here to say awesome work and thanks.

Flygon
January 27th, 2008, 23:18
Goddamnit do I wish I wasn't missing my MicroSD adapter because this look great.

AuroraKnight
January 27th, 2008, 23:18
dood, you worked pretty damn hard on this thing. You have my respect, and my thanks for doing something most coders wouldn't, or just plain couldn't!

TylerD
January 27th, 2008, 23:23
My first post.

Thanks a lot Lordus, You've made the best genesis emulator on DS and now with sound!!! I waited it so much so thanks thanks ^^.

Best DS Homebrew ever!

DanTheManMS
January 27th, 2008, 23:24
Patience yields rewards. This is true especially here. This is much more advanced than the sound-enabled beta, and I'm going to have fun playing around with it.

Great work as always Lordus.

zzt
January 27th, 2008, 23:29
THANK YOU, this emulator is so beyond awesome!! There are so many people in this community who are thankful for all your hard work. Thanks!

.:PSP1.0:.
January 27th, 2008, 23:49
Bloody amazing! Been following the DS homebrew scene for a little while now and this new version of the genises emulator is fantastic with sound and all even got Alex kidd to work now lol thank you Lordus for all your hard work and commitment :thumbup:

MasterMan
January 27th, 2008, 23:51
You're a great coder, Lordus, skilled indeed.
Thank you so much.

Bloodstar
January 28th, 2008, 00:29
Mm, finally Genesis emulation with sound. Now I'm ready to try it out.

Initial bugtesting with some favorites:

Mega Turrican (U):
Some text is missing at points, and the Factor 5 logo SFX seemed a bit low to me. (Tiny bug with the SFX, don't bother)
Intro has really weird rendering bugs.
-Level 1 playthrough:
Smoke in the background and from flame jets is misrendered - shows up black. (Same problem as with the Fast renderer on Picodrive on the PSP?)
Occasional slowdown at points, especially during the boss.
End of level screen has missing text, and the BG image is HORRIBLY glitched.

-Level 2:
Score, health bar, and remaining lives missing... as well as TIME text. Only the remaining time shows. I didn't bother to play past this, as I can't STAND playing without a health bar.

Universal Soldier (U):
Slowdown and flickering in the Basllistic logo, as well as the title screen.
Weird sound in the main menu.
Level 1: Ground not rendered. This problem hasn't showed up in subsequent levels yet.

Turrican (U) [c]:
Same Ballistic and title screen problems as Universal Soldier.
Flickering on the main menu, too. However, this ceases in the Options menu. It persists in the Highscore screen.
Level 1-1:
Powerups flicker with Lightning beam on. ANNOYING buzzing when game is paused.

OutRun (W):
Generally slow in-game, 45-50 fps.

Comix Zone:
Odd flickering in-game and on the title screen. Slowish, about 45-55 FPS.

Sonic Spinball:
Slow once again, some sprites appear over things they aren't supposed to. (40-55 FPS)

Jeopardy! Series:
Intro screen with voice runs below 30 FPS, and renders strangely.
I'll report more when my MicroSD can fit more <_<

The Hombrew Hunter
January 28th, 2008, 00:40
Finally. Full speed Sonic with amazing sound.

You are my new hero. Sorry, Dark AleX, though you're still a hero.

I hope this escalates further into something to be remembered by all the Homebrew world.

gncltostms12
January 28th, 2008, 00:41
it's great!

Thank you for your work!!

Echo1
January 28th, 2008, 01:37
Wow! This truly is something special. You've put in some amazing work in to this. Thanks. :)

Shtroodle
January 28th, 2008, 01:42
Just wanted to thank you - this is much better than the beta and beyond everything everyone has hoped for. Superb!

adhdyoshi
January 28th, 2008, 01:50
Wow. DEELISHUS

Brilliant work. I bow to you.

Peronthious
January 28th, 2008, 02:53
Can you customize the control configuration? The default button layout is a bit unwieldy for a few games. Other than that, great update! Excellent compatibility with everything I've tried so far.

Peronthious
January 28th, 2008, 02:55
Also, can you change the screen size? Having the sides cut off it a bit annoying.

nyuk1998
January 28th, 2008, 03:01
Damn impressive. Thanks for your hard work.

DanTheManMS
January 28th, 2008, 05:25
Also, can you change the screen size? Having the sides cut off it a bit annoying.
Can't be done with the current way it's being emulated. Vertical scaling is the only scaling that can be done when using the hardware renderer. Check out the software renderer version of v0.4a if you want to get horizontal scaling.

havoc_012
January 28th, 2008, 05:36
I can't believe you got sound working for a genesis emulator on DS. Very Impressive! You rock!

SchecterRocker
January 28th, 2008, 06:11
I'm already excited and I haven't even downloaded it yet. I'm afraid if I do I'll never get my homework done :D .

Thanks so much, now I can kick it old-school with sound! :thumbup:

Spidery_Yoda
January 28th, 2008, 12:41
I've been checking this forum almost every day waiting for this release :D.

And it finally comes out on the day i'm lending my Micro SD card to someone. So I can't play.

But I will later.

Thanks so much.

Keitaro Urashima
January 28th, 2008, 12:47
Thanks for releasing it, Lordus. It works on R4DS too.

fkhan
January 28th, 2008, 13:04
Great work, Lordus:thumbup:

Weed-4-me
January 28th, 2008, 13:12
simply amazing...thanks for your hard work!

eder182
January 28th, 2008, 14:47
F A N T A S T I C !!!!!!

THANKS From BRAZIL!!!

valeu, Lordus!!

lerock
January 28th, 2008, 15:06
Thanks for your hard work, most games play and sound really good :)
Although one game I tried got stuck after the sega logo loaded ..

Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis

The game is rather big (3MB) maybe that could be the problem ...
Hope it will work in the future as its one of the best games on the system :D

rockdanx
January 28th, 2008, 15:52
Thanks guy, I love you like a brother!

Tripsk8er333
January 28th, 2008, 17:03
Simply Amazing Work!! Thank You so Much for All of your Hard work and time.

Old meets New, Amazing

Brifry
January 28th, 2008, 17:04
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shining Force is Awesome once again. (Sound Greatly Improves The Experience.) :) :) :)

TaN00Ki
January 28th, 2008, 17:18
Awesome indeed!

Streets of Rage 2 (U) (!) gives me a red screen, while Streets of Rage 2 (JE) [!] & Streets of Rage 2 (U) [f1]works.

Keep up the good work!

Lordus
January 28th, 2008, 17:45
Thanks for your hard work, most games play and sound really good :)
Although one game I tried got stuck after the sega logo loaded ..

Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis

The game is rather big (3MB) maybe that could be the problem ...
Hope it will work in the future as its one of the best games on the system :D

I said it before, it's in the readme, but i'll say it again: If a game doesn't work, try to change the settings. In this case you should try turning H-Int to "ON".

Awesome indeed!

Streets of Rage 2 (U) (!) gives me a red screen, while Streets of Rage 2 (JE) [!] & Streets of Rage 2 (U) [f1]works.

Keep up the good work!

Red screen usually means, that a game doesn't pass its checksum test. Any version works fine for me though.

totocorp
January 28th, 2008, 19:19
Wahou ! Hip hip hourra pour Lordus :thumbup:

xenophobe_ntx
January 28th, 2008, 19:59
Keep up the good work Lordus. I think this is the best emulator for ds. You make my day so happy! ;)

TheLazy1
January 28th, 2008, 23:04
Nice!
Sonic2 works great except for a graphics glitch and slowdown on water levels. (Flickering bars when above water, underwater is fine)

toiletking
January 28th, 2008, 23:56
A-MA-ZING!!!!

AW-ES-SOME!!!!

A great thank from france! :thumbup:

TaN00Ki
January 29th, 2008, 02:34
I guess I'll check my rom twice, but it works perfect on pc emu.

Lordus, do you know why jEnesisDS keeps on remembering the rom names as I add them to my setup, instead of chronologically, even when I delete jEnesisDS.sav?

Lordus
January 29th, 2008, 02:51
Files are shown in the chronological order they were moved to the SD card (within this order they are sorted alphabetically though). This is just the order they are read from the card, jEnesisDS doesn't sort or remember them. The .sav file doesn't store any information.
So if you wanted the files to be shown alphabetically sorted, when adding new ones, you'd have to delete the ones already there, and move them all together (including the new files) onto your card again.

I know this is not really convenient and will see if i can do something about it.

adhdyoshi
January 29th, 2008, 03:25
report: Bonanza Bros worked on the last version but it freezes now.

Lordus
January 29th, 2008, 03:34
Nice!
Sonic2 works great except for a graphics glitch and slowdown on water levels. (Flickering bars when above water, underwater is fine)

Yeah, that's one of those games that changes the palette midframe (for the water effect), which is currently a problem. Hopefully this (and the slowdown) will be solved in the next version, but the sound and everything involved took all my time for the current release.

mattsaysfooey
January 29th, 2008, 03:44
I have speed functions still somewhat and some sound gliches anyway i can alter a file to fix it ;x ? thanks i am running it on a ez5. I dldi patched it already.

puslar_t
January 29th, 2008, 08:28
Many thanks for this update.. For months I thought sound was not possible!

I noticed the sound FX sounds a bit poor, reminds me of the Genecyst.. e.g. the ring chimes in Sonic don't sound 'right'. I assume this is because PSG runs at 11khz? Could this be improved in future revisions? I could live with the cropping, but sound has to be as near dammit perfect as possible :D

Thanks again!

fkhan
January 29th, 2008, 09:58
@Lordus

Do you know why EUR flagged games are running faster than US/J releases?

There are some games which were only released in EUR which are not working properly and even the sound is faster than it should it.

Great work though, thanks again. :thumbup:

Lordus
January 29th, 2008, 13:11
Many thanks for this update.. For months I thought sound was not possible!

I noticed the sound FX sounds a bit poor, reminds me of the Genecyst.. e.g. the ring chimes in Sonic don't sound 'right'. I assume this is because PSG runs at 11khz? Could this be improved in future revisions? I could live with the cropping, but sound has to be as near dammit perfect as possible :D

Thanks again!

That's what i expected ;) First i was told, please implement any kind of sound, even if it's just some of the sound effects. Then when there is something, people expect it to be perfect and will point out any shortcoming.
The sound currently runs at 16KHz and the ring chimes are not done by the PSG, but on a FM channel. One shortcut i had to take, to make it at all fast enough, is to update the envelope just once per frame, and not per sample. This can affect certain kind of sounds, where the envelope changes rapidly. I hope i can raise the overall sample rate a bit for the next version and slightly improve the sound, but it will most likely never sound like the real thing, sorry.

@Lordus

Do you know why EUR flagged games are running faster than US/J releases?

There are some games which were only released in EUR which are not working properly and even the sound is faster than it should it.

Great work though, thanks again. :thumbup:

Yes, because all games run at 60Hz? While poorly converted EUR games that originally run slower than they should will run at normal speed, ones that were properly converted, or even explicitly done for PAL consoles, will run too fast. It is just very convenient for me to sync everything to the DS's refresh rate and to not have an extra handling for PAL games. Is it really worth it? I have my Mega Drives modded to run at 60Hz too, because i always found PAL games too slow ;)

sarkwalvein
January 29th, 2008, 13:25
EUR games go faster because jenesisds uses the DS vsync to limit framerate.

USA and JAP games have a framerate of 60 FPS, that's the same as NDS vsync.

EUR games have a framerate of 50FPS, but are running at 60FPS because of the NDS vsync.

To make EUR games run at the appropiate speed a timed framerate limiter should be used.

Edit: Oops... looks like Lordus replied while I was writing, sorry...

Shidori
January 29th, 2008, 14:07
Hi Lordus, i just want to say that this release is bloody amazing! Your hard work is really apreciated, THANK YOU!

I was expecting some sound like 8 bit games, but you did what many considered impossible with the tiny DS, your skills are godlike :cool:

Now i wish you the best for next release(s), i hope fullspeed emulation will be possible one day, but your emu already reached the top of the DS homebrew scene with this one :thumbup:

weaselboy246
January 29th, 2008, 15:24
Just amazing. great work.

silent_ninja1
January 29th, 2008, 15:25
Great!!! So when is the Full-speed, sound enabled, 100% accurate Xbox 360 emu coming out? The NDS is PLENTY powerfull enough :-D

Have fun over there and thanks for more fun stuff to do on the DS :)

TechRat
January 29th, 2008, 15:32
I noticed something really interesting. Contra Hard Corps actually looks better than it does on the original Genesis! On the first stage, during the fight with the giant Godzilla-sized robot, the animation is much smoother. I remember on the original game that the robot sprites would look a little chunky as they tilted back and forth, but on the emulator they bend and twist smoothly, with no chunkiness, like a really good mode-7 effect. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

Anyway, this emulator is amazing. Awesome work! Thank you!

andytjm
January 29th, 2008, 16:23
Wow great work. The sound is perfect, this is much better than picodrive. Well done!

eke-eke
January 29th, 2008, 16:48
Nice optimization you have made to jenesis, Lordus :)
I will finally get my first DS linker tonight and I can't wait to test which seems to be the best genesis emulator available on this platform !

I'm also curious, how hard is it to code on DS and what are the most significant HW restriction regarding a genesis emulator ?

;)

TaN00Ki
January 29th, 2008, 16:52
Files are shown in the chronological order they were moved to the SD card (within this order they are sorted alphabetically though). This is just the order they are read from the card, jEnesisDS doesn't sort or remember them. The .sav file doesn't store any information.
So if you wanted the files to be shown alphabetically sorted, when adding new ones, you'd have to delete the ones already there, and move them all together (including the new files) onto your card again.

I know this is not really convenient and will see if i can do something about it.

Viele danke.

And again congratulation!

Lordus
January 29th, 2008, 19:00
Nice optimization you have made to jenesis, Lordus :)
I will finally get my first DS linker tonight and I can't wait to test which seems to be the best genesis emulator available on this platform !

I'm also curious, how hard is it to code on DS and what are the most significant HW restriction regarding a genesis emulator ?

;)

Thanks. It's not harder than to code for anything else ;) Of course to get anywhere with the speed, a lot of parts were written in ARM assembler and heavily customized and optimized.
You'd have to make a lot of compromises and not have compatibility and accuracy as your main goal, except you want a slide show.

For a HW renderer one main problem is, that the DS doesn't have per tile priority. You can make up for that with its 4 layers, but then you loose the ability to scale in hardware (just 2 layers can). Another thing is, that the maximum layer dimensions are 64x64, so you get into trouble if a game uses 128 cell backgrounds.
The maybe biggest problem is, that the DS can "only" address 1024 tiles per layer, so you have to find a way to deal with that. You could use 2 layers to display the tiles with higher indices, but you already need them for the priorities..

Of course there are solutions to most problems, but sometimes they are not really obvious.
If you decide to work on the DS and have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Maturion
January 29th, 2008, 20:53
Great work, thank you a lot!

Stash23
January 29th, 2008, 22:04
Download file is corrupted.

Lordus
January 29th, 2008, 22:28
Download file is corrupted.

Did you try downloading again? The problem seems to be there just for you. I just downloaded it successfully myself.

Homerun
January 30th, 2008, 00:04
It doesn't work for me.... Its the Jenesis Console but blank.....

bigleak2
January 30th, 2008, 00:21
i would like to say sorry and congrats
sorry for doubting you in the past i let my psp and it system power get to my head but this is good news for you ds owners this is awesome i dont even have a ds anymore but im very happy that lordus got the sound for you guys
Im sorry Dark_alex you are still my bro hereo but lordus is my hero and i dont even have my ds anymore
i just wish homebrew was easy on the psp like it is on the ds i dont use homebrew on my slim i love it too much but i do it on the fat i just want to know why it homebrew so complicated on the psp

Lordus
January 30th, 2008, 00:34
It doesn't work for me.... Its the Jenesis Console but blank.....

Blank screen means, it can't access your cards file system.
What flashcard are you trying it on, and did you DLDI-patch the binary?

DanTheManMS
January 30th, 2008, 02:12
Lordus, do you know why jEnesisDS keeps on remembering the rom names as I add them to my setup, instead of chronologically, even when I delete jEnesisDS.sav?

Easiest method would be to use the FATsort program on your computer rather than copying everything off and on again. I do this all the time, as the slot-2 Supercard menu sorts chronologically as well rather than alphabetically.

You could also look into the "MCTool v0.16" program if you want an alphabetical sorter app that works directly on the DS itself. It also functions as a DS-side CHKDSK for card diagnostics on the go. Very useful.

CriticalFailure
January 30th, 2008, 03:00
Thanks for the awesome release, Lordus! I was amazed when I watched the video of the beta. After running the final version on my DS, I have to say I am amazed again at how much the sound has improved since then.

After putting it through its paces through various games, in addition to what has been said already, I noticed some minor quirks that occurred. I don't know if these are fixable or not, but I would like to point them out.

In Sonic & Knuckles, being in a special stage for so long can sometimes garble up the sound a bit which can only be fixed by reloading the game.

Puyo Puyo doesn't seem to have any sound playing at all for some reason. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which is basically a modified version of this game doesn't have any problems however, neither does Puyo Puyo Tsu, a sequel to the game.

In Road Rash, the theme seems to be missing some of the melody. However, start a race and then finish it or get wrecked/busted to return to the track selection and the missing melody now seems to be playing fine.

Gunstar Heroes has some areas of the game which seems to run rather slowly, notably in the Dice Maze. I would disregard this since a Genesis/Megadrive emulator on the DS is demanding. But the odd thing is jEnesisDS is still reporting it to be playing at 60 FPS.

After loading a saved state, the music from before the state was loaded continues to play.

Anyway, I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining about it. This is an excellent release that not only makes jEnesisDS hands down the best Genesis/Megadrive emulator for the DS, but one of the best homebrew software for it imo, and I'm loving it. I'm actually using jEnesisDS even more than I play DS games. I mean, this is a Genesis/Megadrive emulator running on the DS at full speed and with sound! I can't say it is anything less than it being made of win.

Keep up the good work! :)

aztekkid
January 30th, 2008, 04:34
Nice! Thanks SO much! It's nice to finally hear the nostalgic Sonic the Hedge Hog theme in the right key! Awesome work. I'm still a little disappointed since it dosnt seem to play Mortal Kombat 3 :( . THAT is the ONLY flaw. Other than not being able to play MK3, this thing is PerfecT. Please try to see what u can do about making it mk3 compatible. NICE.

aztekkid
January 30th, 2008, 04:39
Also "Streets of Rage 2" (which was and IS AGAIN my favorite game of all-time from the 16-bit era) WORKS FABULOUSLY!!! THINKS!!!!!!!

Vixtro
January 30th, 2008, 05:11
This emulator is just simply amazing, I have been following it since day one and now to see it with sound that is near perfect?... Just crazy, I would own a DS just for this!

eke-eke
January 30th, 2008, 09:26
Thanks. It's not harder than to code for anything else ;) Of course to get anywhere with the speed, a lot of parts were written in ARM assembler and heavily customized and optimized.
You'd have to make a lot of compromises and not have compatibility and accuracy as your main goal, except you want a slide show.

For a HW renderer one main problem is, that the DS doesn't have per tile priority. You can make up for that with its 4 layers, but then you loose the ability to scale in hardware (just 2 layers can). Another thing is, that the maximum layer dimensions are 64x64, so you get into trouble if a game uses 128 cell backgrounds.
The maybe biggest problem is, that the DS can "only" address 1024 tiles per layer, so you have to find a way to deal with that. You could use 2 layers to display the tiles with higher indices, but you already need them for the priorities..

Of course there are solutions to most problems, but sometimes they are not really obvious.
If you decide to work on the DS and have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I see, so rendering was definitely already a challenge... and from what I've seen, the screen resolution also don't suit very well to the most common genesis resolution (vertical scaling seems to throw some lines and horizontal scaling seems not possible)

If you don't have any way to do tile priority, that means you have to emulate priority of Window/A/B/ Sprite planes through software and so can't take any advantage of the DS ability to manage 4 layers?
I imagine the 3 other layers can be used to address the 1024 higher patterns and deals with 32x128 or 128x32 scrolling planes...

Have you already read the rendering code of genesis plus ? Charles Mc Donald has really wrotten a smart designed and fast engine to deal with layer priority, so far the best I have seen in any opensource genesis emulator

PS: Btw, is anything like fullscreen quad texturing using the 3D hardware possible ?

Anyway, I just finished playing with some games and I must say that even if you can not be as accurate as you would like, rendering/sound/speed as they are actually make the perfect compromise and already a pretty enjoyable experience :)

UltimaXIV
January 30th, 2008, 13:00
Great work Lourdy ;)
I dunno if someone mentioned it or if it was in the previous version...but i noticed the option to adjust the screen...though the screen's a bit still somewhat wide when centered...love the option =)

Anyways, thanks for the release! Makes for a fun train ride :thumbup:

dhgctc
January 30th, 2008, 14:50
Thanx for not letting this project go downhill like so many others have ... Lovin' the sound ! great work.

TaN00Ki
January 30th, 2008, 15:21
Also "Streets of Rage 2" (which was and IS AGAIN my favorite game of all-time from the 16-bit era) WORKS FABULOUSLY!!! THINKS!!!!!!!

Sure is!

My image was working on pc emu but not on jEnesisDS, then I got myself another copy of it and works great, except a few slow downs.

YAY :thumbup:

Homerun
January 30th, 2008, 15:45
Blank screen means, it can't access your cards file system.
What flashcard are you trying it on, and did you DLDI-patch the binary?

Trying on MMD worked for me with previous versions.
and Yes.

Edit: Weird Tried again and it worked :)
Great Emulator!

Homerun
January 30th, 2008, 15:50
It did freeze after I beat Sonic The Hedgehog Green Hill Act 1............But otherwise great!

Vixtro
January 30th, 2008, 16:37
It did freeze after I beat Sonic The Hedgehog Green Hill Act 1............But otherwise great!
Strange that, Sonic 1 is one of the games I've had no problems with. But then none of the games I have tried so far (many) have crashed on me yet unless I mess about with the emulator settings in-game, a few have on me then but that is understandable.

Sonic 1 works nearly spot on for me with only a few sound errors graphic problems in the Labyrinth Zone. Seems every Sonic level with water has some sort of problem with it. :rolleyes:

BTW, Try Sonic 1 Megamix. I was really surprised to find that it works with this emulator flawlessly! I can't find anything wrong with the graphics or sound and it's a fan made game!

Lordus
January 30th, 2008, 23:45
Thanks for the awesome release, Lordus! I was amazed when I watched the video of the beta. After running the final version on my DS, I have to say I am amazed again at how much the sound has improved since then.

After putting it through its paces through various games, in addition to what has been said already, I noticed some minor quirks that occurred. I don't know if these are fixable or not, but I would like to point them out.

In Sonic & Knuckles, being in a special stage for so long can sometimes garble up the sound a bit which can only be fixed by reloading the game.

Puyo Puyo doesn't seem to have any sound playing at all for some reason. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which is basically a modified version of this game doesn't have any problems however, neither does Puyo Puyo Tsu, a sequel to the game.

In Road Rash, the theme seems to be missing some of the melody. However, start a race and then finish it or get wrecked/busted to return to the track selection and the missing melody now seems to be playing fine.

Gunstar Heroes has some areas of the game which seems to run rather slowly, notably in the Dice Maze. I would disregard this since a Genesis/Megadrive emulator on the DS is demanding. But the odd thing is jEnesisDS is still reporting it to be playing at 60 FPS.

After loading a saved state, the music from before the state was loaded continues to play.

Anyway, I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining about it. This is an excellent release that not only makes jEnesisDS hands down the best Genesis/Megadrive emulator for the DS, but one of the best homebrew software for it imo, and I'm loving it. I'm actually using jEnesisDS even more than I play DS games. I mean, this is a Genesis/Megadrive emulator running on the DS at full speed and with sound! I can't say it is anything less than it being made of win.

Keep up the good work! :)

About the sound problems: it's just not perfect yet, and if the ARM7 which handles the sound is not fast enough, some commands sent to the sound chips can be missed. This doesn't always have to happen at the same spot, or at all. I'll be working on that. In fact i already have a version here, that doesn't have this issue anymore and has much cleaner sound all together, but other problems.. Will most likely be fixed in the next release.
I have to look into the games having no sound, but i am pretty sure i know what causes it, just that it wouldn't have been a fast fix for this release.

I couldn't really reproduce the Gunstar Heroes issue, and I've already played through it several times before without seeing it. Can anyone else confirm this?
I also couldn't really think about anything that could cause it.

The problem with savestates is simply, that i didn't change them. Meaning the state of the Z80 and the sound chips is not saved. I am so lazy, am i not?

I see, so rendering was definitely already a challenge... and from what I've seen, the screen resolution also don't suit very well to the most common genesis resolution (vertical scaling seems to throw some lines and horizontal scaling seems not possible)

If you don't have any way to do tile priority, that means you have to emulate priority of Window/A/B/ Sprite planes through software and so can't take any advantage of the DS ability to manage 4 layers?
I imagine the 3 other layers can be used to address the 1024 higher patterns and deals with 32x128 or 128x32 scrolling planes...

Have you already read the rendering code of genesis plus ? Charles Mc Donald has really wrotten a smart designed and fast engine to deal with layer priority, so far the best I have seen in any opensource genesis emulator

PS: Btw, is anything like fullscreen quad texturing using the 3D hardware possible ?

Anyway, I just finished playing with some games and I must say that even if you can not be as accurate as you would like, rendering/sound/speed as they are actually make the perfect compromise and already a pretty enjoyable experience :)

No, i don't have to emulate anything in software, because the DS has 4 BGs, that i can use to emulate the tile priority. The difficulty is just, that you have to track tile mappings, because there are just 1024 tile indices you can use on the DS.
It also wouldnt be easy to use 2 BGs to emulate the 128 cell mode, because they need to wrap.
But as i said, i have ideas and i will try to solve the issues as good as i can.

Maybe i am strange, but i don't like to use nor even look at any other code, but do this all by myself based on documentation and tests. And i think i managed quite well so far.
There is a Genesis Plus port for the DS out already as far as i know, and i think it's doing like 5fps? Maybe someone knows, i didn't really try it.

I don't think you will get very far with any kind of software rendering, no matter how optimized. I had an ARM asm software renderer before, that was in my opinion already quite optimized (maybe not as good as the Genesis Plus renderer, i don't know), but could not achieve more than 30fps in average.

ChaoticanarchyX
January 31st, 2008, 03:13
I can't get it to work. I've tried two diffrent DLDI patchers and its not playing a thing. it gets past the first screen and then freezes with i get to the second screen. I used Dldinoap and Dldino-apatch to try and patch them with the DLDI for MMD.
Any suggestions
Oh yeah im using a Max Media Dock with a 1 gig CF in it with the 1.22 boot me

Drego
January 31st, 2008, 03:18
WOOT!
That is all that is needed...

Petmetroid
January 31st, 2008, 06:57
This is great! Before I always had to hum the Sonic songs, now no one has to listen to me hum to myself and think I'm a freakin' weirdo, lol.

I have one request, however. How come you have not integrated the ability to scale horizontally? There are many games, like Columns for instance, that I cannot play because I cannot see everything on the screen.
Other than that, the emulator is looking great. You should find the code to put the emulator in sleep mode (when closing the DS.) Keep up the good work!

utz030303
January 31st, 2008, 13:15
My first post here:
Thanks Lordus!! Your jEnesis is the best thing to have on my R4DS! It really brings back all the sweet and nostalgic memory.
Keep it up, and should you need any help in any kind, please just post it on your site. I'm sure many people would be keen to help as much as we could (not sure I can be much of a help, but in case I can do something, I definitely will).

Cheers :)

Jeric
January 31st, 2008, 14:04
GnM user:

The basic emulation seems solid enough, except that if you hit select or tap the screen the game won't unfreeze after, which's annoying but I'm sure its a fairly uncommon problem. Even so, its good to finally hear sound...well...partially anyway.

Edit:

Just to add to the praisehat's off to you for managing something this complex and to have brought it even this far(with plans to take it further). I mean....wow...

I can finally play phantasy star 4....with sound. *teardrop*

fkhan
January 31st, 2008, 18:21
Minor graphic issues will hopefully be fixed in the coming releases. Awesome EMU:thumbup:

DanTheManMS
January 31st, 2008, 23:22
I have one request, however. How come you have not integrated the ability to scale horizontally? There are many games, like Columns for instance, that I cannot play because I cannot see everything on the screen.
Other than that, the emulator is looking great. You should find the code to put the emulator in sleep mode (when closing the DS.) Keep up the good work!
Copying and pasting from another post I made on another forum:

As for the scaling, please read the Changelog section of the ReadMe:

v0.5 *
- Implemented vertical scaling option into HW renderer (horizontal is NOT possible, dont ask!).

Vertical scaling is easy - just skip some scanlines. Horizontal scaling is not. If you must have horizontal scaling, hunt down the "software renderer" version of v0.4a, as that allows you to scale both vertically and horizontally with two different blending methods to get the graphics looking better. Don't expect fullspeed without frameskip in the software renderer version though.
He's getting hit with several emails a day asking about horizontal scaling as it is, and the long and short of it is that it would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to implement in the hardware renderer. Wouldn't you rather he spend the time focusing on faster speed or better sound or large rom support?

crookedmouth
February 1st, 2008, 04:24
GnM user:

The basic emulation seems solid enough, except that if you hit select or tap the screen the game won't unfreeze after, which's annoying but I'm sure its a fairly uncommon problem. Even so, its good to finally hear sound...well...partially anyway.

Edit:

Just to add to the praisehat's off to you for managing something this complex and to have brought it even this far(with plans to take it further). I mean....wow...

I can finally play phantasy star 4....with sound. *teardrop*

I just wanted to say, the same thing happens with my GnM, using the stock 128mb or the Sandisk.
Personally it doesn't really effect my enjoyment, I just wanted to say it's not just you.

Ultimate warrior
February 2nd, 2008, 19:20
Lordus I don't know what the hell your talking about

THE SOUND/ MUSIC IS EXCELLENT!!!!!!

I played the following games for your Emulator

Rocket Knight Adventures

Sparkster

Sonic 1, 2 ,3, and kunckles

Really ****ing amazing.Of course the games have slight graphics problems and a little slowdown when lots of things are on the screen, but some of the effects you got to work are amazing! Thank You for releasing this emulator and I can't wait to see how awesome your next one is going to be!

One question: Will it be possible to play Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles in the future?

WHy can't I post new threads?

Jeric
February 2nd, 2008, 20:06
Ok good, it seems that its a card related problem instead of something twitchy about my perticular download, good(as hopefully a fix in the next build will shoot that bug down).

As to playing faster, unsure really as it could be a case of not having the same limits as the genesis hardware, thus being able to render everything on screen properly(see the post about contra hard corps). Or yours could be a case of those euro games that are rendering slightly fast due to running at 60hertz rather than 50.

Asaki
February 3rd, 2008, 22:15
Just a heads up, almost every news site I've seen that mentions 0.6 links to

http://www.workingdesign.de/

instead of this thread, which is the only place I've been able to find the actual download, let alone any real mention of it.

DanTheManMS
February 3rd, 2008, 22:29
Good point. I've mirrored it at http://danthemanms.googlepages.com/jEnesisDS_0.6.zip but obviously that's only a makeshift solution until the homepage gets updated.

Lordus
February 3rd, 2008, 23:36
Thanks for pointing that out. I updated my website, but just provided a link back here for the download, because i can't afford to host it myself at the moment and you can also leave feedback directly.

And to answer some questions:
I am planning to support games larger than 3MB in the future and also games having an EEPROM for saving (WonderBoy, Megaman and some others).
In fact i am planning some bigger changes and i will hopefully be able to implement those things while i am at it.

I have to look into the issues with GnM and MMD. I am working on some other things at the moment, but when i have time to look into it, maybe someone with one of those cards can help me out by testing some things for me.

zzt
February 3rd, 2008, 23:55
I am using a GnM Card, what do you need tested?

Jeric
February 4th, 2008, 00:40
I'd also like to help test any proposed fixes when you're to the point of beta-ing things.

Ultimate warrior
February 4th, 2008, 04:08
Hey don't forget me too man!! Let's push the DS's hardware to the limit to create awesome emu's for SNES , NES, and Genesis!

chsoft
February 4th, 2008, 05:38
Great work.
Unfortunately, as for chinese edition of Daikoukai Jidai II(Uncharted Waters II),when I select the main menu at map, the game will reset.
What's the problem?

xneoken
February 4th, 2008, 11:39
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but will soft-reset ever be implemented?

Spidery_Yoda
February 4th, 2008, 12:31
Ok, I've played it quite a bit over the past few days and i'm very pleased with the results.

Sonic games just weren't Sonic games without the music :D. Now they run almost perfectly, and look great on the small screen.

Thanks a lot for the great emulator. The Mega Drive Sonic games are almost all i play on my DS these days, along with the brilliant Sonic Megamix.

fkhan
February 5th, 2008, 19:32
Anyone know why I can not play Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic 1 as it just gives me 'No Way!' screen, a special stage which can be accessed by pressing A+B+Y on the DS.

Does it not allow me to play the normal game? for now though, I am using Sonic and Knuckles release which works really well.

dave auto
February 6th, 2008, 15:06
Lordus-
Congratulations on this release. I'm a musician, so I have a picky ear for sound, and I feel the sound you've implemented in this release is really quite good. I understand that you want to strive to improve it (an artist's work is never finished ;) ) but for the purposes of playing on a portable system (like playing in public), the quality in the current build is more than satisfactory. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

I wanted to report a couple issues I'm having on a MMD w/512 MB CF:
1. Like some other MMD/G&M users, jEnesis 0.6 freezes when I tap the touchscreen. The select button works fine for me, however, and brings me to the ROM menu.
2. Something odd seems to be going on with 6-button controller support. When playing SFII:SCE, the game's button config menu only detects a 3-button controller, but all six buttons function during actual gameplay. The only other 6-button game I have on my card, Eternal Champions, seems to work properly. jEnesis 0.5 doesn't have this issue (using the same ROM file, same MMD, same everything). Not a huge issue, obviously, but a bug worth mentioning.

I'd be happy to help with testing for MMD. Let me know if I can be of any assistance, and thanks again for such an amazing emulator.

Vixtro
February 6th, 2008, 15:46
Anyone know why I can not play Sonic and Knuckles & Sonic 1 as it just gives me 'No Way!' screen, a special stage which can be accessed by pressing A+B+Y on the DS.

Does it not allow me to play the normal game? for now though, I am using Sonic and Knuckles release which works really well.
Knuckles isn't playable in Sonic 1 so that's exactly what it should do, even on a proper Mega Drive/Genesis console it will do that.

Reminds me to test Sonic 2 & Knuckles to see if that will work, I know Sonic 3 & Knuckles won't work because the *you know what* size is too big.

Oh and another thing, has anyone noticed that if you have a save state of a game in a later level and you load straight to it just as the game is loading up say for example from the Sega logo screen. The sound in that level for me is most likely distorted either sounding really bad or just a bit different. It's funny so give it a try and see if it does the same for you guys. Of course if I want the sound to be fine then I just let the game load up to the menu or first level before I load a state then it's fine.

Jeric
February 6th, 2008, 15:59
Well he DID state that he was a bit lazy about savestates and sound, so that's probably the cause. Just one of thsoe things to get fixed orworked on in a latter release I guess.

KalleKalle123
February 8th, 2008, 00:47
Really awesome, great with sounds. But I dont understand the "widescreen" in-game. When I played genesis on 4:3 TV back inte the 90's there was no widescreen. Why is the screen so wide on Nintendo DS now?

Edit:
All the games seems to work perfect except NHL.
NHL 95 Elitserien (E) [c][!].bin - A little laggy, but still very playable! (damn funny, swedish game)
NHL 96 (F) [!].bin - Crash after team-controller select
NHL 97 (F) [!].smd - Crash after team-controller select
NHL 98 (4) [c][!].bin - Crash after team-controller select

I get a "division by zero" error in the top left corner...

Edit2:
In NHL97 if I turn on "User Records" (?) I can get past the team-controller select menu, but then I come to "user entry" and then game crash after that.

DanTheManMS
February 8th, 2008, 03:41
Really awesome, great with sounds. But I dont understand the "widescreen" in-game. When I played genesis on 4:3 TV back inte the 90's there was no widescreen. Why is the screen so wide on Nintendo DS now?

It's not a "widescreen" feature or anything. It's a technical issue. The Genesis's screen resolution is 320x224. The DS's resolution is 256x192 for each screen. Therefore, since the Genesis screen is 64 pixels wider than the DS screen, you have to chop off those 64 columns. The default setting chops 32 off each side.

The same thing happens vertically as well, chopping off 16 rows from both the top and bottom. However, jEnesisDS can use vertical scaling to squish the screen down to 192 pixels in height, and this option is enabled by default. This may be why you think it looks widescreen, as the image is squished vertically in an effort to fit it onto the screen.

Horizontal scaling to squish the Genesis image into the DS's 256 pixels of width is only possible in the software emulator build, not this current build that has sound.

abmthe3rd
February 8th, 2008, 06:29
<3 <3 this is the greatest thing ever. thank you so much

Mini Moose
February 8th, 2008, 07:54
Heheh. The "ring" sound in Sonic the Hedgehog makes me laugh. XD

Thank you so much for the vastly improved version! Now with sound!!!!! ^.^

dirty_cousin
February 8th, 2008, 21:23
Sweet man you rock! Thanks from Canada eh. BTW anyone who disses the DS is a tool cuz the DS is the bomb to be playing you're classics on. I just don't understand how some dude will go playing mario on his psp its stupid especially considering nintendo is keeping the tradition alive for old school gamers like us. Can anyone say Contra 4? Anyhow PSP and all the next gens (including Wii) suck suck suck
Thanks again Lordus!

scrabbus
February 8th, 2008, 21:29
well, very constructive I must say!!! HOWEVER, this is a great start, now if only other coders would get on board, I would like to see all the major 8-bits developed and I would like to start a fund for a nice prize for the best emu if WRAGGSTER would sanction it!!

jstwanthegenesisemu
February 9th, 2008, 01:54
Just want to say that's ****ing stupid to force people to create an account just to download that ****ing file. It makes me lose my time and waste your disk space. Many people just want the file and are never going to post on this ****ing forum. Your registered user database is thus increasing with "fake users" and this waste your disk space for nothing. It's a lose-lose situation.

I would appreciate if you could delete my account. I have plenty of accounts like that just because I'm forced to create one to download small files, and I have millions and millions passwords which I can't manage anymore, and this gets on my nerves. Oh, and I hate forums.

TechRat
February 9th, 2008, 04:33
Just want to say that's .....

Oh, please. Cry me a river. These people are spending large chunks of their free time developing incredible applications which they then offer to you for FREE, and you have the nerve to complain about it because you have to create an account to get them? Oh, boo hoo. If it bothers you so much, just write your own damn programs. Otherwise, show a little respect for the programmers and quit your whining.

Master_SL
February 9th, 2008, 20:36
Great job Lordus. I am looking forward to any updates you'll be making. ^_^

javad
February 9th, 2008, 21:18
thank you so much

.:PSP1.0:.
February 9th, 2008, 22:08
Just want to say that's ****ing stupid to force people to create an account just to download that ****ing file. It makes me lose my time and waste your disk space. Many people just want the file and are never going to post on this ****ing forum. Your registered user database is thus increasing with "fake users" and this waste your disk space for nothing. It's a lose-lose situation.

I would appreciate if you could delete my account. I have plenty of accounts like that just because I'm forced to create one to download small files, and I have millions and millions passwords which I can't manage anymore, and this gets on my nerves. Oh, and I hate forums.

This guy is a total idiot! Just wanting to DL the genesis emu without contrubiting anything to the creator or site in general.. atlease say thanks :mad:

AlMightyBob
February 9th, 2008, 23:37
Oh, please. Cry me a river. These people are spending large chunks of their free time developing incredible applications which they then offer to you for FREE, and you have the nerve to complain about it because you have to create an account to get them? Oh, boo hoo. If it bothers you so much, just write your own damn programs. Otherwise, show a little respect for the programmers and quit your whining.

Amen.

blahjedi
February 10th, 2008, 10:45
Thanks for the new release Lordus.. Much appreciated!

pman1902
February 10th, 2008, 16:44
- Custom YM2612 and PSG emulation, running on the ARM7. So there is sound now ;)
- Many parts rewritten. Speed without Z80 core should be quite a bit faster for most games.

this is unbelieveable :D
it runs sonic 2 at fullspeed with sound.
never though ANY emulator on the DS would be able to do that... but this 1 does !!!

respect and realy thanx for all your time and effort.
thanx :D
pman1902

da_head
February 10th, 2008, 18:03
OMG i love sega genesis! i use to play it all the time, but i lost one of my wires and kinda forgot bout it over the years hehe. this made me pull it out, blow off the dust and reminisce over my old games. this is excellent. though a few minor issues. a few games there are many glitches such as x men 2 and sonic the hedgehog 2. and i no you explained that the screen size for sega is different then ds, but isn't it better to have black bars on the top and bottom, rather than chopping of the sides (make it smaller)? in some games this means you don't no how much lives/health you have, and its kinda annoying. and i no this is a first version with sound, but hopefully it will be improved? some noises r way off. but overall, excellent work and thank you for ur time and effort. :D keep it up

DanTheManMS
February 10th, 2008, 21:07
and i no you explained that the screen size for sega is different then ds, but isn't it better to have black bars on the top and bottom, rather than chopping of the sides (make it smaller)? in some games this means you don't no how much lives/health you have, and its kinda annoying.
The screen cannot be squished horizontally. At all. None. The Genesis's screen is wider than the DS's, and since you cannot squish it, this is all that can be done. If you must have horizontal scaling, use the SW renderer version of v0.4a.

and i no this is a first version with sound, but hopefully it will be improved? some noises r way off.
That's what he means by

I know very well, that the sound is not perfect, but it's the best i could do in the time working on it, so please don't complain..
I am sure that i can improve it and i am positive that all games will run at full speed with sound one day.

dockyd
February 10th, 2008, 21:22
Has anyone managed to get this to workon the DS ONE or N-CARD flash carts? I can only get it to work on the R4.
Many thanks

da_head
February 10th, 2008, 22:14
The screen cannot be squished horizontally. At all. None. The Genesis's screen is wider than the DS's, and since you cannot squish it, this is all that can be done. If you must have horizontal scaling, use the SW renderer version of v0.4a.

no u misunderstood me. i didn't mean to squish the screen horizontally. keep the dimensions the true sega format, but make it smaller so that it will fit on the ds screen. that means there will be bars on the top and bottm, but that's better than chopped off sides. get it? and whawt do u mean sw renderer? is that option? *goes to check*

sepro
February 10th, 2008, 22:16
nice emulator, finally i'm able to play the genuine sonic.

saving the state seems to mess up the emulation, loading the rom again and then loading the state seems to fix the problem so it's just a minor bug. (I'm using a ds lite with ez flash V)

DanTheManMS
February 10th, 2008, 22:57
no u misunderstood me. i didn't mean to squish the screen horizontally. keep the dimensions the true sega format, but make it smaller so that it will fit on the ds screen. that means there will be bars on the top and bottm, but that's better than chopped off sides. get it? and whawt do u mean sw renderer? is that option? *goes to check*
That's exactly what I'm talking about. "Making it smaller" is not possible with the way the graphics are drawn to the screen. You can do it vertically, which is what jEnesisDS already does; the actual Genesis resolution would require you to chop 16 pixels from the top and bottom without the vertical scaling, which is enabled by default. However, this cannot be done horizontally when using hardware rendering.

The "SW renderer" version of v0.4a uses a different method of drawing graphics to the screen. This lets you squish the image to fit into the DS's screen like you want, but it runs slower as a result. It's not an option in v0.6 here - you'll have to go back two versions to get it.

Junixx
February 10th, 2008, 23:11
WOW how the heck did I miss this release?? Thanks Lordus, we needed a Genesis emulator with sound :thumbup:

sabinrene
February 14th, 2008, 16:44
hey guys i need some help with this,i got supercard sd,and i have no idea how to install and play this thing. i dl dldlidc or something and tried to patch the emulator file,also downloaded some roms and put them on the card,but when i try to play the emulator,all i get is the blank emulator screen and i cant press the joystick icon or anything,can some please put a step by step guide how to install this

tanaas
February 14th, 2008, 17:01
I have been using 0.5 for a while now i have a datel music & games flash rom and 0.5 has been working great course cept for th sound. Now i just downloaded 0.6 and for example i ran sonic the game runs great still the sound works like it should but if i try to touch the screen to go to anything it freezes up and i don't mean just paused once i touch that screen it will not start back no matter what i do please help! The game does run wonderflly but can't change any options :(

tanaas
February 14th, 2008, 17:03
I have been using 0.5 for a while now i have a datel music & games flash rom and 0.5 has been working great course cept for th sound. Now i just downloaded 0.6 and for example i ran sonic the game runs great still the sound works like it should but if i try to touch the screen to go to anything it freezes up and i don't mean just paused once i touch that screen it will not start back no matter what i do please help! The game does run wonderflly but can't change any options

sabinrene
February 14th, 2008, 17:05
again,can someone please help me,i never used emulator on ds so im pretty cluless on what to patch with dldl,with supercard sd

tanaas
February 14th, 2008, 17:06
I have been using 0.5 for a while now i have a datel music & games flash rom and 0.5 has been working great course cept for th sound. Now i just downloaded 0.6 and for example i ran sonic the game runs great still the sound works like it should but if i try to touch the screen to go to anything it freezes up and i don't mean just paused once i touch that screen it will not start back no matter what i do please help! The game does run wonderflly but can't change any options THANKS

crazyteknohed
February 15th, 2008, 13:35

'Tis a shame you aren't returning here though; now you won't see me calling you a proper c*nt.

TrekkiesUnite118
February 16th, 2008, 05:30
All it needs now is some way to make it fit better on the DS screen, if thats possible. If it's not its still a great Emulator.

DanTheManMS
February 16th, 2008, 05:34
All it needs now is some way to make it fit better on the DS screen, if thats possible. If it's not its still a great Emulator.
Read the readme file, or read the posts in this thread. It's not possible when using the fast hardware renderer. It's only possible when using a software renderer, which is much slower. Use the software renderer version of v0.4a to see what I mean.

TrekkiesUnite118
February 16th, 2008, 05:40
Read the readme file, or read the posts in this thread. It's not possible when using the fast hardware renderer. It's only possible when using a software renderer, which is much slower. Use the software renderer version of v0.4a to see what I mean.

Ah ok, I thought I read that somewhere, I just couldn't remember if that was this one or PicoDrive.

paoao
February 17th, 2008, 18:30
NICE ONE!!! Thank you for your efforts!!

zzt
February 18th, 2008, 18:26
I just wanted to report that I am using a GnM and have no problems what so ever with using the touch screen ( A lot of people seem to be having problems with the emulator freezing when using the touch screen).

XSingh123
February 20th, 2008, 16:54
ive put the emulator on and it works perfectly but i dont know how to put the games on! what do i do? create and extra folder? what format do the games have to be? someone please messgae me !

spannernick
February 20th, 2008, 19:30
WELL...

1.didl it
2. copy games to card or a folder on your card(mine are .smd or .bin)
3. run the emulator..

4. done..

nodls
February 27th, 2008, 22:16
Thanks for this I just learned about jEnesisDS today

truebluehero
February 28th, 2008, 01:42
FINALLY IT'S DONE!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOREVER!!!!!!!!
However, I'm having a problem with the touch screen, it freezes whenever I touch it. Is there any way around this?

truebluehero
February 28th, 2008, 01:59
Apparently, if you touch the ds's clock to 00:00 then run Jenesis ds, you can touch the screen without freezing it.

crookedmouth
February 28th, 2008, 03:42
I just wanted to report that I am using a GnM and have no problems what so ever with using the touch screen ( A lot of people seem to be having problems with the emulator freezing when using the touch screen).

Are you using the stock 128MB micro that came with the GnM or another?

dave auto
February 28th, 2008, 17:06
Apparently, if you touch the ds's clock to 00:00 then run Jenesis ds, you can touch the screen without freezing it.

Confirmed. After resetting the clock, jEnesis0.6 no longer freezes on my MMD w/512 CF. Thanks truebluehero, you're a ... true, blue...yeah. :rolleyes:

Still having problems with 6-button support, tho. Anyone else?

crazymofo156
February 29th, 2008, 20:29
thank you very much, your work is amazing and greatly appreciated.

i do have one question tho, is anyone else having trouble getting NHL 94 to run? that's one of my favorite games of all time. Playing around with the settings got all of my other games to run great, but that one seems to be stubborn.

paul3100
March 2nd, 2008, 12:30
A big thank you from me too for such a great bit of homebrew :-)

One game i would really like to see working is mega lo mania as its my all time favorite on the megadrive!

Any idea on 0.7 ? paul

liveswired
March 3rd, 2008, 22:34
Unbelievable, I've been on the homebrew scene for quite a while and never thought anyone could ever get a mega drive emulator on ds this good! When jEnesis first came on the scene, it was a great leap ahead of the then best (picodrive). Thanks to qt_dragoon for donating a ds to this talented codie! Lets hope for more future improvements to an already fantastic emu
:)

laktic
March 4th, 2008, 14:06
registered and i still cant download it? where else can i get this from?

triswicks
March 4th, 2008, 16:40
good work, all your efforts are well appreciated - thankyou so much!

masterskink
March 5th, 2008, 16:54
is there a way to scale the screen in this yet, i didnt think there was but maybe i am just an idiot and can't figure it out

DanTheManMS
March 6th, 2008, 01:45
is there a way to scale the screen in this yet, i didnt think there was but maybe i am just an idiot and can't figure it out

Vertical scaling is implemented and is already selected by default. For horizontal scaling, please read the ReadMe. Or any number of posts in this thread.

campos 336
March 6th, 2008, 03:48
I downloaded the emulator got it to work but how do I play game where do I get them?

denslowjefferywp83
March 6th, 2008, 04:12
Goddamnit do I wish I wasn't missing my MicroSD adapter because this look great.
for those w/o a micro sd reader a cell phone w/ a micro slot and a mini usb power supply will work as well, my reader broke and thats what i use

campos 336
March 6th, 2008, 04:21
All I get is the screen with sonic in the left top corner next to the controller I got some roms from Romnation.net what do I do next do the games have to have a folder?

denslowjefferywp83
March 6th, 2008, 04:40
thanks for the tip worked like a charm

denslowjefferywp83
March 6th, 2008, 04:46
I have only recently been introduced to emulation on the ds via GnM and this is the best em project i have seen by a long shot. not just sound emulation but a proper gui that is easy to navigate I look forward to the next iteration. Keep it up Lordus.

eggs
March 6th, 2008, 17:05
Just found this and i love it, thank you very much.

paul3100
March 7th, 2008, 08:41
Mega lo mania doesn't load up at all except the (j) version which plays almost perfectly ! how is this?

Shame about the sides being cut off as ot makes maga lo mania hard to play but i know the reasons behind it :-(

regards, paul

crazyteknohed
March 7th, 2008, 09:59
I have some ideas for future versions of jEnesis:

With regards to the horizontal scaling, would it be possible to include both software (no sound) and hardware (with sound) rendering modes in one build? That way, games that are impossible to play with bits of screen missing can be played, albiet without sound.

Also, would it be possible to scroll the screen left and right in the hardware rendering mode, perhaps with the shoulder buttons? This would be good for games with text or icons that are off the screen.

Lordus
March 7th, 2008, 22:17
I have some ideas for future versions of jEnesis:

With regards to the horizontal scaling, would it be possible to include both software (no sound) and hardware (with sound) rendering modes in one build? That way, games that are impossible to play with bits of screen missing can be played, albiet without sound.

Also, would it be possible to scroll the screen left and right in the hardware rendering mode, perhaps with the shoulder buttons? This would be good for games with text or icons that are off the screen.

While it would be theoretically possible to include both renderers into one build, that is not something i would like to do.
One reason is, that i don't really plan to work on the software renderer at all anymore, but more importantly, it's just bothersome ;)
The hardware renderer has access to a lot of things, and many pieces of code would have to exist in 2 different versions for each renderer respectively, and i am already short on RAM as it is, anyway. There would be possible solutions for that, but as i said, it is very unlikely, that i will spend any time on it.

You can already scroll the screen left and right (also up and down in unscaled mode) with the D-pad, while the emulator is paused (by touching the screen). Press 'A' at the same time to speed up the scrolling.

ryunken
March 8th, 2008, 21:23
Sorry but I cant see any of the roms on my DS. I have the bin version of the roms and have copied them onto the DS. The jenesesds emulator menu loads up fine, but I cant see any roms, but only a LOAD...

I am using a normal DSTT card.

Really appreciate any help!

Thankyou.

ryunken
March 8th, 2008, 22:28
Right...after many hours of trying to get up to date with the hardcore Emulator people, ive found that the roms i was downloading from sites didnt work. So it wasnt the emulator and i was doing it correct after all. Certain sites are providing FAKE roms now, I think just to screw people over and try n stop all this FREE gaming.

I belive once a game is over like 8 yrs old it should be free for all to play no questions asked!

Anyway the only problem Im getting is that the games run TOO fast?

Anyone?

Captain Stransky
March 9th, 2008, 12:12
Thank you so much Lordus , your a legend mate .

DanTheManMS
March 9th, 2008, 18:53
If games run too fast, either you're using PAL games or you have Vsync turned off. Try using US games and enabling Vsync (though it's enabled by default).

skizza83
March 13th, 2008, 20:05
absolutley wicked, u should setup a donate fund u know! id be willing to donate a little defo!

skizza83
March 13th, 2008, 20:17
absolutley wicked, u should setup a donate fund u know! id be willing to donate a little defo!

Lordus
March 13th, 2008, 21:14

You could always take a look at my signiture ;)

campos 336
March 15th, 2008, 05:45
is there a save option for the games?
other than that its awesome

Lordus
March 15th, 2008, 20:05
is there a save option for the games?
other than that its awesome

Ingame saves to battery RAM are saved and restored automatically, and you have 2 savestates per game, accessible by the 2 little icons on the lower right of the touchscreen.

campos 336
March 16th, 2008, 05:26
is it the one that has a I and II when every I press anywhere on the bottom screen the game freezes
Thanks

crookedmouth
March 16th, 2008, 23:46
is it the one that has a I and II when every I press anywhere on the bottom screen the game freezes
Thanks

With the GnM, you will need to reset the DS clock to 00:00 each time, to use the touchscreen. I just use ingame saves, but some games are much better on the go with save states.

campos 336
March 17th, 2008, 05:23
what clock how do I reset it

D_RaCeR
March 18th, 2008, 19:16
I just tried it now and so far its awesome keep up the good work

bumjeans
March 18th, 2008, 22:26
Have only just discovered this. I did read about it a few months back but was under the impression sound was never gonna be emulated.

Suprise to find such a great release!!

Its not perfect, as expected. But such a fantastic app, thanks to the developer.

I was flicking through this entire thread and read that its not possible to fit the width on the screen, is this true? That would be a shame, as its stopping me from playing games like Shadowrun. Or if you could maybe make the screen adjustment a little faster, and maybe enable it with a shoulder button rather than having to pause each time.

Calasirojonashil
March 19th, 2008, 18:03
Well, everytime I try to use it, the top screen turns black, but the touch screen acts as though nothing happened.(I can touch things for instance)
I'm using the Max Media Dock, and I really want to find out what I'm doing wrong...I've patched it with the MMCF.dldi...:confused:

TedDiBiase
March 21st, 2008, 16:53
Hey people.

I wanna buy me an M3 DS REAL

Will this emulator jenesisds work with it?

If I need to patch this flashcard, what do I need to download and how do I do it?

Thanks for a reply.

And many many thanks to Lordus. :thumbup: That's really some great work you accomplished there.

crookedmouth
March 21st, 2008, 17:51
Well, everytime I try to use it, the top screen turns black, but the touch screen acts as though nothing happened.(I can touch things for instance)
I'm using the Max Media Dock, and I really want to find out what I'm doing wrong...I've patched it with the MMCF.dldi...:confused:

Should work on the MMD.
Reformat your CF and try turning the ds clock to 00:00. Worth a try.

Shidori
March 21st, 2008, 20:29
Hi Lordus, your emulator is great and maybe you'll be able to win the "Neoflash Spring Coding Contest 2008", you should consider participating!

Lordus
March 22nd, 2008, 00:21
Should work on the MMD.
Reformat your CF and try turning the ds clock to 00:00. Worth a try.

I hope this problem is already fixed in my current version. I started working on something, that will probably take a bit longer, but i might fix up what i have first and make a new release soon.

Hi Lordus, your emulator is great and maybe you'll be able to win the "Neoflash Spring Coding Contest 2008", you should consider participating!

Thanks, but i already entered it in the last compo, where it made the 3rd place (of course it didn't stand a chance against a full blown SMS emulator port)

DanTheManMS
March 22nd, 2008, 02:56
Hm, when was this? Before or after your GBAX release? GBAX was the first time I heard of jEnesisDS at all, as it seemed to come out of the blue.

Lordus
March 22nd, 2008, 04:11
Hm, when was this? Before or after your GBAX release? GBAX was the first time I heard of jEnesisDS at all, as it seemed to come out of the blue.

It was afterwards. The 0.5 version was released in the Neoflash Summer compo 2007.

Shidori
March 22nd, 2008, 12:24
I still think your 0.6 version (now with sound wich was not the case with 0.5) could win...

Well i've tried DSmasterplus and it's far from being perfect, it's very buggy and the sound is horrible... Plus the autor seems to have abandonned his project, it's a shame cause SMS games are great... Now i'm thinking of it, jenesis has a functional z80 core for the DS, is it possible to make it work for SMS games?

Lordus
March 22nd, 2008, 20:27
Might be possible. In fact that's what i developed/debugged my Z80 core on ;)

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/974/amdsbe3.png

Shidori
March 22nd, 2008, 20:51
Wow, amazing! After seeing the picture, i was like, maybe i missed something, and tried to run a SMS game, of course it didn't work :p

Are you planning to actually support SMS with jenesisDS? That would be very nice :eek:

crazyteknohed
March 23rd, 2008, 12:47
I too would like that very much. I can't believe DSMasterPlus pipped you last time around - it's sh*te emulator in comparison. If you added SMS support and maybe changed the name, couldn't you re-enter jEnesisDS? I mean, isn't it re-written to use hardware scrolling now?

Lordus
March 23rd, 2008, 23:24
I would like to support it directly in jEnesisDS, but that looks a bit problematic at the moment. In jEnesisDS the Z80 ASM core is very optimized to work specifically for emulating the Genesis' Z80. For SMS emulation a more general core is required (this is currently a compile time switch). Due to lack of memory on the DS (or the need for a more complicated solution) i would rather release it as a standalone emulator.

Shidori
March 24th, 2008, 00:05
A standalone emulator would be the best because that way you can support both SMS and Game Gear, since this last one is just a portable version of the SMS! And you'll become the master of sega 8/16bit emulation on the DS eheh :D

Seriously that would be a kick ass release, but for now i think you'r busy with the next version of jenesisDS right, so think about it another day, maybe :p

ritarh2000
April 9th, 2008, 17:04
Thank you so so so much

ritarh2000

Demonicsonicx
April 11th, 2008, 23:41
Is The Jenesis Emulator compatible with Games 'n' Music?

masterchief929
April 11th, 2008, 23:50
wow.... so many posts..... nice emulator btw

tkazy
April 17th, 2008, 03:05
anyone wanna walk me through how to patch it? lol

crookedmouth
April 17th, 2008, 06:14
Is The Jenesis Emulator compatible with Games 'n' Music?

Yes and it works fine until you touch the touch screen. However you don't really need to touch the touch screen unless you absolutely have to use Save States. In-Game saves work fine. The work around is to set the DS time to 00.00 every time before you boot jenesisDS, then the touch screen works.

anyone wanna walk me through how to patch it? lol

read this
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54281

but use this newest DLDIRC
http://psychowood.altervista.org/getDLDIrc.html

After you install the DLDIRC(DLDI Right Click) and choose your device, just right click your .NDS file, chose your device patch and it will patch it for you.
Take the patched .nds file and place it on your card as per the installation describes. Some homebrew need specific placement and folders.Luckily most come with Readme files with instructions.

Remember you are just patching jenesisDS.nds,so right click that and choose your device after you have installed DLDIrc.

flyinggazelle
April 19th, 2008, 09:59
i word AWESOME thanks so much i was looking for something to play micro machines with this is it thanks so muchly i will have many hours of fun with this.
i can't describe how good this is thanks again

123soleil
April 19th, 2008, 23:55
Hi, I have a supercard SD. The emulator seems to work fine (it loads and give a title screen) but in the menu my smd files don't appear so I can't select any games... anyone know the reason to this?

Thanks!

ps: i've also ddli patched it to no avail

Omega_2
May 11th, 2008, 07:41
To fellow datel games 'n' music owners;
Another workaround for the touch and freeze issue.
1. Use a properly patched DSOrganise (3.2 might be the latest release)
2. Open jEnesis from DSOs' built in file browser
3. You should now be able to use the touch screen without incident.

I've been using touch screen and savestates for a couple months (ver.6) with no issues.

Oh and is it possible to turn off the automatic scaling of sprites, and keep it off?
Second, any luck getting sonic 3 & knuckles to run? If S3&K was the only game this emu would run, I'd still use it.
Anyway...Here's hoping, and to the next version! :thumbup:

EDIT:
I say this was a better way to use my first post, don't you agree?

Venazard
June 7th, 2008, 12:59
Hi I'm new here & I just downloaded JenesisDS to my M3 Real along with some roms, my only problem is I can't see my roms when I load up my NDS game folder. Please could you help me? Thanks.

abdoue2004
April 15th, 2010, 06:09
Great .

Thank you