PDA

View Full Version : DCT 2500 Digital Cable Box

Elven6
January 28th, 2008, 18:45
Hey, I was looking at the variouis ports on the back of my DCT 2500 cable box, I noticed that their was a USB port on the back. I did some research and from what I found, it can be used for things like storage, digital cameras, PC's, etc. My local cable provider is Shaw, does anyone know if Shaw's version of the DCT 2500 can accept a memory stick or something like that, and record movies directly onto the memory stick, external harddrive, etc?

The instruction manual also claims 3rd party software can be installed through it, the only software I could find was Microsoft TV, but thats only available on a different provider.

jonwww
January 28th, 2008, 20:28
Not positive how Shaw runs things (up in Canada I assume), but I know down here in the US they're not enabled. About the only thing you can do with them is power USB devices, you can't transfer any data.

quzar
January 28th, 2008, 21:32
Many devices nowadays have USB-like ports used as service ports. A word of caution though: sometimes they are just the same shape as USB.

I used to have a cable box that I friend a pendrive on because it turns out the service port required an adapter to use with regular USB stuff. This was at least 6 years ago though.

Elven6
January 28th, 2008, 23:10
Well the instruction manual, and the Motorola press release on the unit says its a USB 1.1 port. I sent a msg to them, and Im hoping they answer. Id phone em, but their wait times are really long, and its not really worth waiting that long for such a simple question.