PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone around here an organ player?

ExcruciationX
January 28th, 2008, 19:48
The Voyagers (DCEmu band) need an organ player. So, if you can play organ, then post in this thread.

VampDude
January 29th, 2008, 01:37
I can play this, but not a real piano.

http://ababasoft.com/music/piano.swf

Y Y Y R Y I C (played by keyboard keys) >>> E E E C E G C which sounds like the begining of Mario Bros's tune :D sadly I know no more. :(

Eviltaco64
January 29th, 2008, 03:30
I can play this, but not a real piano.

http://ababasoft.com/music/piano.swf

Y Y Y R Y I C (played by keyboard keys) >>> E E E C E G C which sounds like the begining of Mario Bros's tune :D sadly I know no more. :(

I just played Mary Had a Little Lamb.
You think that would as good as an organ player? :P

VampDude
January 29th, 2008, 04:24
I just played Mary Had a Little Lamb.
You think that would as good as an organ player? :P

You inspired me! (below) :p

w8lD-PJqNLc

I really shouldn't of just posted that on YouTube (the shame) lol :o

Eviltaco64
January 29th, 2008, 04:36
Damn, with your capture card/hypercam/whatever its called and my off key notes, we'll start an internet phenomenon!!

All we need is Bill Cosby to lay down some good beats.

With the Mary and the Lamb and the Fleece :)...

ExcruciationX
January 29th, 2008, 04:47
Not what I meant...

VampDude
January 29th, 2008, 05:15
Damn, with your capture card/hypercam/whatever its called and my off key notes, we'll start an internet phenomenon!!

I use Camtasia Studio for my capturing, if it becomes a phenomenon I will be famous for being the first person to upload a FLASH piano video to YouTube, I will give you a credit for the inspiration! :)

I still haven't figured out Mario Bros. yet, all I've got is E E E C E G C I might record and add the 7 notes I already have to YouTube :p

Not what I meant...

What did you mean?

Johnny Rash
January 29th, 2008, 05:28
I can play piano.

I'm not quite sure if you wanted an organ player that plays a mechanical organ...
Can't do that.

But I can tickle the ivories and so can DT if he's still around here.

ExcruciationX
January 29th, 2008, 08:51
Rock organ is what I mean.

Axelius
January 29th, 2008, 09:54
Isn't playing the organ just the same as playing the piano?? I mean, it has white and black keys. What else do you need??

*And now I have to prepare myself to get beaten up by some musicians:D*

VampDude
January 29th, 2008, 10:31
Isn't playing the organ just the same as playing the piano?? I mean, it has white and black keys. What else do you need??

*And now I have to prepare myself to get beaten up by some musicians:D*

Organ's and Piano's are two completely different things although they are almost the same, anyway the below will tell you what I mean. :)

There are a number of differences between an organ and piano, besides the obvious form and function issue. Both a piano and an organ use keyboards as their primary means of performance, but the mechanics behind those keyboards are completely different. A piano is generally considered a member of the percussion musical family, while an organ falls in with the woodwinds, electronic and even the brass families. The main difference between the piano and organ's function during performance is percussion versus air power.

A piano generates sound whenever the performer strikes a key attached mechanically to a hammer. In turn, this hammer strikes at least one metal string held in tension on a large frame. The various piano strings are tuned to specific frequencies, which allows the performer to create chords and dissonant sounds by striking more than one key at a time. These vibrations may continue for a short amount of time, but eventually the performer must restrike the keys to maintain a piano's sound.

An organ's keyboard, on the other hand, does not physically strike anything. Instead, the performer on a modern electronic organ completes a circuit whenever he or she depresses a key. The keys of an organ are also tuned to specific frequencies, but the individual notes can be held for an indefinite period of time without the need to restrike the keys. This is one major difference between the percussive piano and the electronic organ-- a piano can only sustain a note for a short period of time, while an organ can hold it indefinitely.

Another difference between a piano and organ is their functions as accompanying instruments. Since a piano is essentially a percussion instrument, much of its initial power comes from the first strike or attack on the keyboard. This means a piano accompanist for a church congregation or choir can quickly establish both a rhythm and a melody line. It is not unusual to hear a piano player start off an introduction to a song, followed by the other instruments. A piano, much like a guitar, is a good leading instrument.

An electronic organ, by comparison, is more of a follower than a leader when accompanying singers. An organ achieves much of its performance power during the sustain, not the initial attack on the keys. One of an organ's primary functions in a band is to fill in the sounds not covered by the more percussive instruments. Organ accompanists may not even attempt to play the melody line, preferring instead to play supporting chords while the pianist provides guidance for the vocalists.

Another difference between an organ and piano is the number of sounds each can generate. A piano's keys can be altered somewhat to create a tinny honky-tonk sound, or the overall size of the piano can create richer tones, but a piano is designed to sound like a piano. An organ, by comparison, can be altered through the use of pipes or electronics to sound like woodwind, brass and reed instruments. An organ also contains several different levels of keyboards, called ranks, which can all be set for various combinations of instrumental effects.

Some keyboardists develop a preference for either the piano or the organ over time. Each calls for a slightly different set of manual dexterity skills and musical theory. Organists must often learn to play bass notes on a pedaled keyboard, while simultaneously controlling the dynamics with a swiveling volume pedal. Pianists must learn complex chords and fingerings while also learning the physicality of a percussion instrument. While both a piano and an organ are keyboard-driven, the differences between them can be quite a challenge for musicians.

Axelius
January 29th, 2008, 12:06
Wow, even though I knew most of this, I didn't regard it as a major problem for a pianist to adapt to an organ.

But at least it is easier for a pianist to learn how to play the organ than for a guitarist or so...

ExcruciationX
January 30th, 2008, 18:41
So, nobody can?