PDA

View Full Version : hows pre college at this university!?

nomi
January 29th, 2008, 15:26
I applied to Brown University for pre college programs, i would like to know if any of you have attended and could tell me the quality of their programs.

Could you recommend any other academic programs for freshmen.

Thank you

quzar
January 29th, 2008, 20:45
Odds are you won't get any useful information here, as most of the forum users are young and illiterate.

I suggest trying to find some sort of board for former students of the precollege. Maybe in some sort of community for people who go to Brown.

acn010
January 29th, 2008, 21:05
most of the forum users are young and illiterate.
lol...
welll try it out man
im on st. john's university... so i dont know about brown..

ExcruciationX
January 30th, 2008, 01:13
Odds are you won't get any useful information here, as most of the forum users are young and illiterate.
LOL.

VampDude
January 30th, 2008, 01:37

True (I would estimate the popular age group to being around 15), also there is the fact of this being a UK based site and that being a question about schooling in the U.S.

Napalm-Death
January 30th, 2008, 01:46

I suggest trying to find some sort of board for former students of the precollege. Maybe in some sort of community for people who go to Brown.

Man, I love how you just speak the truth.

scarph
February 1st, 2008, 02:45
Pre college programs?

I'm currently in the pre-college stages, aka, just got accepted to some schools. I don't know what pre-college is but it sounds fishy. If you know what Brown is you know what it is. It's an Ivy League school where everyone's smart and rich. You won't get a very deep experience with your professors. Whatever you decide, with Brown you're sure to pay a hefty dollar.

quzar
February 1st, 2008, 05:18
You won't get a very deep experience with your professors.

So many people have this opinion of 'expensive' schools, and let me tell you, it's bullshit. I've spent time at both a state school, and community college, and both of them pale in compairison to the level of teaching and education that I've received here at Carnegie Mellon (considered Ivy Tech/New Ivy)

scarph
February 1st, 2008, 19:44
Well I have a lot of family in Academia and I know that most college professors in big name schools are not there to teach, but to get grants for research. Point is, you may have smarter teachers, but their aptitude for teaching may be low. Fact, smaller school equals smaller classes equals better teacher student relationship.

quzar
February 1st, 2008, 20:46
Well I have a lot of family in Academia and I know that most college professors in big name schools are not there to teach, but to get grants for research. Point is, you may have smarter teachers, but their aptitude for teaching may be low. Fact, smaller school equals smaller classes equals better teacher student relationship.

Bah, after writing a few one page long answers (and subsequently deleting them) I decided to just say: people that think those kinds of things obviously don't know what it's like at an ivy league school.

As to your fact: teacher student relationship has very little meaning without a great teacher, and students who are motivated enough to take advantage of it.

scarph
February 2nd, 2008, 04:43
motivated students is not the issue, there are motivated students at every level of college. a great teacher is someone who went to school to learn how to teach, not who went to school in the field their insterested it.

Eviltaco64
February 2nd, 2008, 19:06
True (I would estimate the popular age group to being around 15)

Actually, I'm 14. I've hidden my age until now just for certain reasons like being thought of as "young and illiterate". Another reason is that other people can use my age against me in arguments.

In fact, a large percentage of the anger I'm occasionally ensued with is from being belittled and talked down to by middle-aged pediatricians that give me Turtle Band-Aids.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I mean:

"tHIs playBoy rox (while smoking some marijuana rez that he found on his daddys' nightstand and sipping from a bottle of Yuengling), too bAD i broxe my 3-sixteh from all my n00b pwnin and football throWIn"

Also, I'm not mad at all! I'm just awfully bored and love going to these forums :thumbup:

scarph
February 2nd, 2008, 23:52
None of that made sense you incompetent 8 year old.

Eviltaco64
February 3rd, 2008, 02:11
None of that made sense you incompetent 8 year old.

lol, no need to get pissed

EDIT: how didnt that make sense?

quzar
February 3rd, 2008, 04:49
lol, no need to get pissed

EDIT: how didnt that make sense?

He was being facetious.

Also, I thought it was funny how you mention that everone looks down on you because of your age etc etc, as that seems to be classic 'teenage angst'.

nomi
February 5th, 2008, 15:02
Great... alot of help... Though the money isnt really the problem... yeah I am rich! eheh. Well thanks anyways!

btw... only 15 students/class

Eviltaco64
February 6th, 2008, 00:36
'teenage angst'.

nobody understands me!! your mom let you go to the prom, you just dont remember being this age!!!xD

Great... alot of help... Though the money isnt really the problem... yeah I am rich! eheh. Well thanks anyways!

btw... only 15 students/class

15 students a class? Thats pretty good.

What's your major?

nomi
February 6th, 2008, 19:19
Evil its a pre college program. Im only a freshmen...

scarph
February 6th, 2008, 23:32
A freshmen in college would not be pre-college, it's just called college.

quzar
February 6th, 2008, 23:37
A freshmen in college would not be pre-college, it's just called college.

If it's pre-college you are an incoming freshman. Especially if you are in a summer semester deal, you are a freshman, as your standing moves up at the end of every other semester, not the start of the next.

shibby420182
February 7th, 2008, 00:36
brown college or brown university, two totally separate schools. brown college is like a business tech school and be careful with that if you plan to go on to a 4 year college or university as your credits don't always transfer, but if its brown university than hell just show up they will show you the way, or at least tell you someone that might help.