PDA

View Full Version : DSwifiTV - Intro Release (build 0.003)

wraggster
January 29th, 2008, 23:36
News/release from Mywish29 (http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=28&post_id=24048#forumpost24048)

DSwifiTV - Intro Release (build 0.003)

What's New:

-Main Layout
-DLDI Support
-Sound Button(Disabled at the moment)

A quick Release only gets you hopes up quicker. I really need help with this so if you are willing to participate, feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ab25smva10b

Homerun
January 29th, 2008, 23:43
This actually a thing or is it another "Help me release" release?

EDIT: Its just a screen. Nothing else.

simonjhall
January 30th, 2008, 00:01
Oh. So what's with the rolling version number? And if it doesn't do anything, what's with the "dldi support"?

(I'm not pessimistic, it's just that I've not yet had a chance to fire up my DS today)

Sonny_Jim
January 30th, 2008, 00:59
I'm trying to remain positive about this as well but the odds are stacked against it. Like I said before, I've only ever seen speeds around 80-100kBps best case with the DS wifi hardware, and this isn't enough to do quality video streaming.

The problem lies in the fact that a video file that requires less processing to display will have a high bitrate and one that needs lots of processing will have a small bitrate. The problem is the DS has neither processing power or bandwidth to be to accommodate anything but an audio stream.

Rebrek
January 30th, 2008, 03:34
*coughcough ram expansion coughcough*

In all seriousness, I don't see why he shouldn't try. I'm not saying it will work, but why shoot him down? I mean in the end somebody will get to say I told you so. Why not wait and watch?

TheLazy1
January 30th, 2008, 04:31
With enough buffering you might be able to stream video only xvid.
Not sure though and not willing to test it out, that being said this is definitely not a project to start if you are either just starting programming or just starting with devkitARM/libnds.

Eyedunno
January 30th, 2008, 05:00
I wonder if it would be possible to pull off 128X80 12fps video (hardware scaled to fullscreen)+8kbps sound.

It would look and sound terrible, but I imagine it would at least be watchable if you're not too picky and you don't have to deal with onscreen lettering and so on.

Sonny_Jim
January 30th, 2008, 17:44
To all those who think Slot-2 RAM is the 'magic homebrew cure all bullet':

A. Not everybody has slot-2 RAM
B. It's slow. Really slow. Like 5-8 times slower than normal RAM
C. Having more RAM does not speed things up if you aren't using a swapfile

If someone does manage to pull this off, it would probably mean that a VNC type application would be a lot more usable.

TheLazy1
January 30th, 2008, 18:55
Well, if you cache slot-2 the performance hit is greatly reduced.
I do this in Mini vMac and the external ram is only 2-4 FPS slower than using main ram.

simonjhall
January 30th, 2008, 20:41
But there's no need to use slot-2 memory. 4MB should be plenty for streaming video. It's not like the video will be needed again once played...

@lazy1 - what % slower is that? I've not tried mini vmac - what framerate would you get with normal RAM?

TheLazy1
January 30th, 2008, 20:51
I think he meant buffering to slot-2 ram and decoding from there.

Normal ram under Mini vMac runs at 24 to 45 FPS depending on the application and if software scaling is enabled.

simonjhall
January 30th, 2008, 20:55
Really? That's pretty kewl. If I had the ROMs I'd have a go myself :-D
Quake performs really poorly with slot-2 RAM. When running at the normal bus speeds it's 40% slower and when data caching is turned on it is often worse! Q2 actually runs faster with the cache turned off ;-)

Eyedunno
January 31st, 2008, 06:17
Based on previous posts here though, the biggest bottleneck seems to be wi-fi bandwidth, rather than RAM.

paul3100
January 31st, 2008, 18:41
i really hope this works, what a great app of it does :-)

Can some one here who uses Mini vMac pm me please with location of things needed to get it to run? iv tried everything and just can't get it to work GGrrrrrrr , cheers

paul

TheLazy1
January 31st, 2008, 18:43
I tested earlier and a 12fps 128kbps xvid file was only about 30kb.
That's cutting it really close but it may be possible to modify the ds wifi library to transfer large amounts of data more efficiently.

chee006
February 2nd, 2008, 10:12
You all are like bagers and critics u just post coment about this intead of helping him he said he need help for this some of u are coders u could help him if no one will help him he will never finish this in time

TheLazy1
February 2nd, 2008, 16:52
I'd bet that most coders are busy working on their own projects and don't want to get into something else.

I'm sure a dedicated coder could make _something_ work but you are looking at something that will take a lot of time and hard work.

klaak
November 1st, 2008, 14:15
I put this on my r4 but when i opened the dswifitv it says touch the touch screen to continue i touched it but nothing happened.Plz i dont know what to do

User Name
January 31st, 2009, 20:07
Same thing happened here on my N5ds can you guys tell us what to do to get it to work?

Yabbas Icing
April 18th, 2010, 13:49
I do not know how this thing works.When i start it up,all it appears as is a white touchscreen and a top screen saying DSWIFITV.Nothing to touch.No options.