PDA

View Full Version : New Pandora-Proof Motherboard?

DarthPaul
January 30th, 2008, 01:27
Source: PSP-Ita (http://psp-ita.com/?module=news&id=11658&view_reply=1)

This site is reporting a supposed new motherboard that will be integrated in the new PSPs. And it will prevent the creation of Pandora Batteries.

http://www.psp-ita.com/news_images/TA.jpg

New alarming news arrives from Dark_Alex. It seems in fact that or in circulation a new model of PSP SLIM & ARGUMENT with firmware 3,73 of factory and a new one mobo, called TA-085 v2.
This type of card mother would prevent in fact the creation of pandorizzate batteries, inhibiting therefore the access to the writing of the eeprom of the battery.
This new way will not prevent I use but it of batteries already pandorizzate, and therefore it will not prevent the possibility to install a Custom Firmware.

Al moment does not exist methods in order to go around such new system, does not remain to us that to attend ulterior developments.

True or Fake? I doubt this because I haven't heard about Dark_Alex saying this anywhere else.

Discuss Via Comments

Nicko01
January 30th, 2008, 02:17
Yeah, I'm sure Sony could do that, but it's really not much of a big deal if we can't make "Pandora-ized" batteries on these new mobos. Anyone can still easily make or buy a hardware modded battery instead, although it is less convenient. I would like to make one of those pandora batteries with a switch that lets you go between regular and pandora mode easily, without the software, just in case I get bricked with no other chance at recovery.

VampDude
January 30th, 2008, 05:06
There will be ways around it, there always is when Sony block things.

Nikolaos
January 30th, 2008, 07:57
There will be ways around it, there always is when Sony block things.

Not true, look at the PS3.

Aryn
January 30th, 2008, 07:57
This is probably fake, but inconsequential. SONY would already know that simply preventing future PSPs from creating Pandora batteries is about as effective as a fart in a wind storm since there are many PSPs that are capable of creating one already and several businesses selling the batteries.

If news was leaked about a PSP model that does not work with the battery or a firmware version that disables use of the battery then I would feel cause for concern...at least for a few weeks, after which there will be a way to get around it.

goliath182
January 30th, 2008, 08:44
Does it really matter whether its true or fake. Even if you can't make a pandora battery it still says you can use one.
So whats the problem?

Pandora proof mobo would be a worry.

cdc1991
January 30th, 2008, 09:33
2 things I thought when I looked at that pic of the board. It looks too cheap (even for Sony), and where the hell do the UMD's go??! It doesn't worry me, because even if they did come up with a non-pandora creating PSP, some of us still have battery changers, and if they made the PSP pandora proof, they'd need another way to put the PSP into service mode, and a team of hackers would eventually come to the rescue. :)

VampDude
January 30th, 2008, 09:40
Not true, look at the PS3.

The PS3 will be unlocked to all possibilities soon, just like every build of the PSP gets unlocked sooner or later. :)

Sterist
January 30th, 2008, 09:49
i'd have to say fake.

the mb# would be TA-087. i believe the 086 already existed for some time now, so if this is true then why would the # go down a version with a slapped on "v2"? sounds fanboy/newsposter-ish. whoever the original source is, is most likely making this up.

Chameleon
January 30th, 2008, 11:44
dark alex is somewhat fluent in english, he would never use the word pandorizzate.

Its FAKE end of story!

Yungblaqs
January 30th, 2008, 12:38
NO matter WHATever is tried there will ALWAYS be a way to bypass it!!

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 13:28
Source: PSP-Ita (http://psp-ita.com/?module=news&id=11658&view_reply=1)

This site is reporting a supposed new motherboard that will be integrated in the new PSPs. And it will prevent the creation of Pandora Batteries.

http://www.psp-ita.com/news_images/TA.jpg

New alarming news arrives from Dark_Alex. It seems in fact that or in circulation a new model of PSP SLIM & ARGUMENT with firmware 3,73 of factory and a new one mobo, called TA-085 v2.

This type of card mother would prevent in fact the creation of pandorizzate batteries, inhibiting therefore the access to the writing of the eeprom of the battery.

This new way will not prevent I use but it of batteries already pandorizzate, and therefore it will not prevent the possibility to install a Custom Firmware.

Al moment does not exist methods in order to go around such new system, does not remain to us that to attend ulterior developments.

True or Fake? I doubt this because I haven't heard about Dark_Alex saying this anywhere else.

Discuss Via Comments

/bullsh!t

shorty_carnage
January 30th, 2008, 13:56
I hope this aint true

sappo
January 30th, 2008, 14:01
I bet it's fake and this PSP-ita is doing so to get a bit of free advertising from worldwide scene news sites.

cory1492
January 30th, 2008, 14:29
Not fake folks, though whomever used dark_alex's name on psp ita got it really wrong who came across the issue. bagheera from maxcon was, as far as I know, the first to report the issues with a (vietnamese?) asian locally bought PSP from around 1-2 weeks ago.

I have been dealing support to people through os pandora battery tool, so far the units with the changes to syscon (to invalidate read/write nonvolitile memory using currently known code) seem to only be in asian countries at this point, but I doubt it will stay that way. At least 3 have come up reporting a new baryon or tachyon version (don't remember which right this second), and unilaterally all are not able to handle the syscon commands to deal with the battery write/read at this point (no real telling exactly what was changed though, as no one has a way to dump syscon as far as I know.)

Also, note the functions to directly read/write the battery EEPROM were removed from 3.80 - I'd assume this is other evidence of the change to hardware, since the new hardware would not be compatible with those functions instead of updating them they simply removed them.

edit:/ Oh, and before I forget, the apparent change wouldn't need a mobo revision to be done, it would just need a revision to a single IC (or even quite possibly only to one time programmable/OTP contents that are put onto one of the chips at manufacture time.)

mike_jmg
January 30th, 2008, 15:35
even though this could be fake, I was worried a bit.

But this only prevents you from creating a pandora's battery, I already have one so I don't care :p

urherenow
January 30th, 2008, 15:51
more than easy to do, and there wouldn't be a way around it.... using software anyway. If you had balls and a bit of skill you can still manually pandora-ize a battery although I don't recommend it in the slightest (pretty darn dangerous simply opening the battery case if you ask me).

you can also buy one, or make one on someone else's PSP.

so even if it were true... why the heck would you care? Stopping from making one... possible. Stopping the operation of it? Not without adding a new port on the motherboard allowing $ony to be able to unbrick the PSPs that get sent back...

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 16:44
Yea people not to worry, just make sure you have a pandora's battery already and if you don't you can always order one. Besides, the only reason to start worrying would be if they made the boards incompatible when you USE the battery.. like brick it or something

sPod
January 30th, 2008, 20:52
this really gives a new reason to keep the Phat PSP's

DarthPaul
January 30th, 2008, 23:19
dark alex is somewhat fluent in english, he would never use the word pandorizzate.

Its FAKE end of story!

Eh.. man. This is a translation from Italian, I used a translator.

Eviltaco64
January 30th, 2008, 23:39
Whether its true or not, Old/Fat PSPs ftw

Buddy4point0
January 31st, 2008, 11:15
it really doesn't matter if you can't make them on the psp.
you can make them by taking them apart so there is no point for sony to waiste money on a new mobo

duykhang
June 21st, 2008, 04:40
Hi, guys
I just wanted to say that you are all wrong Dark Alex is right
I've that mother****ing motherboard in my psp
and it don't let me pandorise my battery.
You can install cfw .
I already tried all pandoriser and its not working atm
But, i'm sure the we will be able to bypass it, if we make researches

andwhyisit
June 21st, 2008, 08:20
2 things I thought when I looked at that pic of the board. It looks too cheap (even for Sony), and where the hell do the UMD's go??!

Unscrew your PSP at the back and then remove the front of the psp, the bottom row, the screen, the screen holder, and all the connections to see something very much like that photo. But don't really do that since I pretty much screwed up my first psp that way.

I admit that the innards are different, but I guess I never really pulled apart a slim.

But it looks official. Whether it blocks the creation of a pandora battery is another matter.

djbrotherson
June 23rd, 2008, 05:37
where do you check specifically on the PSP to see if it's the kind that a pandora's battery won't work on??

alyandajpspuser
September 10th, 2008, 00:42
oh well. sony sucks so we will be able to get around it one way or the other...