PDA

View Full Version : PSP DOSBox v0.71 build 29.01.2008

aTomIC
January 30th, 2008, 11:47
The famous dos emulator for our Sony PSP has got an update by the hitman CrazyC. There is no changelog at this moment but the screen flicker problem like in the 10.january release was fixed.

Get the new eboot
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9564

or the complete package at
http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 14:16
whats the most advanced dos game playable with this emulator... please dont say commander keen

No_one_in_particular
January 30th, 2008, 15:24
I've played Theme Hospital on it.

Great news about the update.

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 16:29
What other games? Someone has to have played Wolf 3D or something... I wouldn't mind having Raptor or Terminal Velocity or something good

No_one_in_particular
January 30th, 2008, 16:34
Wolf3D works.

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 16:42
is it smooth or choppy, do the games play well or crappy? 1- 10? is it worth it?

hokk
January 30th, 2008, 16:56
The famous dos emulator for our Sony PSP has got an update by the hitman CrazyC. There is no changelog at this moment but the screen flicker problem like in the 10.january release was fixed.

Get the new eboot
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9564

or the complete package at
http://www.emunews24.de/dosemus.html#sony%20psp257And this is for phat psp only? What happened to the slim releases?

is it smooth or choppy, do the games play well or crappy? 1- 10? is it worth it?
Some games run very well and some games runs less good, but its definitely worth a try!

borgqueenx
January 30th, 2008, 17:09
whats the best release until now? this one or...

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 17:35
If I could run any game it would be warcraft 2!

sappo
January 30th, 2008, 17:35
whats the best release until now? this one or...

Every release it's better than the previous. So it's this :D

If I could run any game it would be warcraft 2!

I heard it runs... Music's a bit choppy but it should run.

I haven't tested it myself, though.

hokk
January 30th, 2008, 18:17
If I could run any game it would be warcraft 2!If you want to play WC2 i can recommend using the PS1 version of the game. Runs perfectly and you can use the analog stick too.

(http://www.torrentz.com/15a7c0c19b96f1389090d7c8f7f20a1da8916dbc)

aTomIC
January 30th, 2008, 19:02
And this is for phat psp only? What happened to the slim releases?

Some games run very well and some games runs less good, but its definitely worth a try!

Yes, this release only for 1.5 (also for psp fat). There is a release for 3.xx (also for slim, too) (released 26.nov 2007).

whats the most advanced dos game playable with this emulator... please dont say commander keen

Yes, Commander Keen runs ;) - okay, i tested the current build with Slipstream 5000, Settlers 2 and Prehistoric. Prehistoric runs very well, Slipstream 5000 runs very slow (unplayable or you like slowmotion) and Settlers 2, i started the game and get the title screen, after loading a mission(level), my psp crashed (i think s2 and ss5000 needs to many processor power to run playable on psp).
I tested Spear of Destiny and Wolfenstein 3D on earlier versions and both runs good but a little slow.

hokk
January 30th, 2008, 19:27
Yes, this release only for 1.5 (also for psp fat). There is a release for 3.xx (also for slim, too) (released 26.nov 2007).Hummh this release did run on 3.80M33-5, but it crashes if I change the ram setting any higher.

BTW. Does anyone have a working ISO for win311, confirmed to work on psp slim? (Just asking if anyone has) Do you have to make any changes to the cfg file?

No_one_in_particular
January 30th, 2008, 20:43
Hey aTomIC, as you seem to be a fan of Dosbox, do you know where I could find a compatability list for games?

If there isn't one, it'd be great to have one. One like
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GP2X/Compatibility
would be fantastic.

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 20:47
I wouldnt mind Descent or Descent 2 even, anybody tried that... someone should make a compatability thread for this homebrew

aTomIC
January 30th, 2008, 21:19
hm, i don't know about a compatibility list of PSP Dosbox. But we can ask Wraggster to make a subforum or similar, where people can post their result of testing games and programs on PSP Dosbox. Such a list will help many people. If Wraggster give us a home for a compatibility list, i'm your man for testing old classic dos games that i own or find in web.

Hummh this release did run on 3.80M33-5, but it crashes if I change the ram setting any higher.

BTW. Does anyone have a working ISO for win311, confirmed to work on psp slim? (Just asking if anyone has) Do you have to make any changes to the cfg file?
CrazyC put up a new build (30.january) but it won't work on my psp (M33 3.52-4). The 29.1. works well. So, download the yesterday build from my site (if you didn't downloaded from there).

@your question about changing somethin in the config file
Yes, i changed a little in the config file (such as memsize to 10 and added autocycle=true,mincycles=600 and maxcycles=3000)

@Win3.11 Iso
I think, Wraggster don't want such a question in his forum. Use Google, please!

djbrotherson
January 30th, 2008, 23:11
Can someone direct me to where i can find out how to use this thing? I'm am so freakin lost... like how the hell do you type man!?

juiceface
January 30th, 2008, 23:44
can anyone confirm if any wing commanders run on this?

No_one_in_particular
January 30th, 2008, 23:59
Can someone direct me to where i can find out how to use this thing? I'm am so freakin lost... like how the hell do you type man!?

I've attached a DOS navigator and my configuration file. If you open the .conf file in Notepad, then scroll down to everything under [Autoexec], you can see that I've told it, on start-up, to:
-map certain buttons
-mount ms0:/psp/game/dosbox/dosbox (my games folder) as C:/
-open C:\
-change directory to C:\DN1 (the dos navigators folder)
-launch the dn.com (the Dos navigator)

This will stop you from having to type DOS commands for the most part, then just look at this image:
http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/images/keygroup1qwerty_black.gif

No_one_in_particular
January 31st, 2008, 00:16
hm, i don't know about a compatibility list of PSP Dosbox. But we can ask Wraggster to make a subforum or similar, where people can post their result of testing games and programs on PSP Dosbox. Such a list will help many people. If Wraggster give us a home for a compatibility list, i'm your man for testing old classic dos games that i own or find in web.
Sounds great, a compatibility list would obviously be very useful for every user of the PSP's dosbox, whether it be in a subforum, or whatever. :thumbup:

djbrotherson
January 31st, 2008, 01:44
Thank You

kryst abegnalie
January 31st, 2008, 02:49
wow nice, is alone in the dark series works fast in this emu, and elder scroll arena??

No_one_in_particular
January 31st, 2008, 04:20
Only one way to find out !

Murdock
January 31st, 2008, 06:34
1. Why don't u guys use the direct port if u want to play Descent? :)

2. This emulator in deed is great ... I could tell u so many games that run fine... I even started a comp list in my manual for Dosbox. But I haven't continued it for a long time ...

3. Settlers 2 doesn'T work anymore? :eek: since when? It used to run ... even at a halfway playable speed! DAmnit! What happened?

4. To those criticising the potential of this emu: Even Dungeon keeper runs on this thing! It is not even close to be playable, since it's basically only a slideshow .. but the bare fact that it STARTS is amazing in my eyes! And as I said, Settlers 2 runs playable! At least it did in several previous releases!

aTomIC
January 31st, 2008, 09:25
CrazyC said that the new build runs on slim,too.So all can play old dos games again ;). thx goes to crazyc

@Murdock
i like to play settlers 2 but only on a pc. I'm not a friend of the analog stick on psp

Murdock
January 31st, 2008, 10:00
@Murdock
i like to play settlers 2 but only on a pc. I'm not a friend of the analog stick on psp

Well, the analog stick is bad in RTS games, but since settlers 2 does not require u to act fast, it's okay that the stick itself doesn't allow fast movements and quick reactions. Therefore, I think to play setters 2 on PSPi spretty cool! :cool:

No_one_in_particular
January 31st, 2008, 10:35
For some reason the anologue stick in Dosbox veers off to the left and right for my PSP. It's well annoying. I've tried lowering the sensitivity, but all it's done is made the veering off slower. :/

Murdock
January 31st, 2008, 12:34
For some reason the anologue stick in Dosbox veers off to the left and right for my PSP. It's well annoying. I've tried lowering the sensitivity, but all it's done is made the veering off slower. :/

Hmm, I thought that CrazyC has solved this problem .. sad to hear it's still there ... and strange, too!

Anyway .. maybe u want to hop over to ps2dev.org and explain the problem ...

djbrotherson
January 31st, 2008, 16:27
K I really like this program but it doesn't run these games too well... its all choppy n stuff... is there any settings I can implement to make things run more smoothly?

Games im playing

Duke nukem 2
Raptor
Spear of Destiny

Murdock
January 31st, 2008, 17:51
K I really like this program but it doesn't run these games too well... its all choppy n stuff... is there any settings I can implement to make things run more smoothly?

Games im playing

Duke nukem 2
Raptor
Spear of Destiny

hmm, Spear of Destiny is Wolf 2, right?

All of them were tested by me (except SoD, I think I only tested Wolf 1, but same sys req. I think) and were running at full speed or at least 90 % (so a slowdown was not noticable ...)

Therefore, the problem can only be a wrong config or NO tweaking of the dosbox.conf file at all ... Unfortunately, I am not up to date, considering the new releases ... they tended to crash on my PSP ... therefore I used an older version. So I can't help u with this problem atm ... ask aTomic about it ... he's the "pro" considering newer releases ... eventhoug I think he's not testing them very much ... but at least he knows a little I guess ...

borgqueenx
January 31st, 2008, 19:32
aaaargh, i lost my icon0, background and song becouse i updated.
And i dont have the right configuration anymore to launch dos navigator automaticly:(

Murdock
January 31st, 2008, 19:45
aaaargh, i lost my icon0, background and song becouse i updated.
And i dont have the right configuration anymore to launch dos navigator automaticly:(

well ... I once decided not to give support for DosBox anymore because of several quarrals in certain forums ... but not here ... so I think it's okay ...

U said u have no confs etc. ... so use this version of DosBox ...

http://rs83.rapidshare.com/files/57854536/DosBox_23.09.07___Manual_1.2.rar

It's an older release ... a pretty old one .. but the one that worked best on my old PSP ... :) it still runs with kernel 1.5 ... so u better replace the eboot.pbp with the new one ... you can also add the PRXs crazy provided ... anyway ... my rar file contains a tweaked config that uses max. RAM, etc. ...anyway .... additionally, it contains a pretty old version of my manual for DosBox ... it's old but still contains lots of information about the app ...

have fun with it!

kris threat
January 31st, 2008, 20:03
If you want to play WC2 i can recommend using the PS1 version of the game. Runs perfectly and you can use the analog stick too.

Not to be a dick or anything...but I don't think you're allowed to link to torrent sites...I may be wrong.

borgqueenx
January 31st, 2008, 20:13
does that eboot have the icon, background and song?

EDIT: yay it does, i now use the newest dosbox with the old config file of murdock and the icon, background and song.
PS: you should search for a commander keen commercial on youtube as pmf movie or something;)

hokk
January 31st, 2008, 21:11
Not to be a dick or anything...but I don't think you're allowed to link to torrent sites...I may be wrong.Okay if thats the rules.. but I can't see the problem with a link leading to a torrent site..?

well ... I once decided not to give support for DosBox anymore because of several quarrals in certain forums ... but not here ... so I think it's okay ...

U said u have no confs etc. ... so use this version of DosBox ...

http://rs83.rapidshare.com/files/57854536/DosBox_23.09.07___Manual_1.2.rar

It's an older release ... a pretty old one .. but the one that worked best on my old PSP ... :) it still runs with kernel 1.5 ... so u better replace the eboot.pbp with the new one ... you can also add the PRXs crazy provided ... anyway ... my rar file contains a tweaked config that uses max. RAM, etc. ...anyway .... additionally, it contains a pretty old version of my manual for DosBox ... it's old but still contains lots of information about the app ...

have fun with it!I have read your manual it's very good with lots of useful info. You must have put down a lot of time doing that, very much appreciated.

Murdock
January 31st, 2008, 21:39
Okay if thats the rules.. but I can't see the problem with a link leading to a torrent site..?

I have read your manual it's very good with lots of useful info. You must have put down a lot of time doing that, very much appreciated.

Thx, good to hear u liked it!

does that eboot have the icon, background and song?

Well .. u extractet song, pic, etc. from my file and put it into the new release? :) okay .. then u must have had one of my repacks before ... since no1 else used these icons, sounds, etc. ... :D makes me proud that u knew my stuff already :D

michalt441
February 3rd, 2008, 10:07
I got it on PSP, then I put my games on it and it worked!

Windows 3.11 loads nearly full speed through disc image file :D

Elven6
February 10th, 2008, 23:53
I heard people have run windows on this? How would one set up the 3.1 files to have Windows 3.1 boot up? I actually own a copy of Windows 3.1 so don't worry about piracy or anything like that.

CaptainEO
February 11th, 2008, 04:25
Hey all. This is my first post. I have the following games working on dosBox:

Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Gorilla.bas
Humans
Kings Quest V
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Oregon Trail Deluxe
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia 2
Sam n Max
Star Trek 25th
Street Rod 2

All games are fully playable with sound :)

I do have a question though. I was trying to set up my INPUTMAP buttons. What is the correct code to use 'backspace'? I tried everything and couldn't get it to work :( Thanks!

jamotto
February 11th, 2008, 05:22
Street Rod 2

Did you change anything in the configs? I tried this game and it ran but it quickly slows to unplayable speeds.

CaptainEO
February 11th, 2008, 05:36
Did you change anything in the configs? I tried this game and it ran but it quickly slows to unplayable speeds.

I'm running a dosBox on a slim with the cpu set to 333. I also changed the memsize to 20 in the config. Not sure if that did anything, but the game runs full speed for me. :)

stanfy86
February 15th, 2008, 19:56
I dont know if its just me, but i cannot re-map the keys to enable analog as the arrow keys, i understand the need to use the d-pad in the make-shift keyboard, but i cant play games without directonals, any advice/info would be appreciated, old dos games bring me back lol :thumbup:

michalt441
February 17th, 2008, 19:18
for stanfy86:

You need to hold LTrigger+Rtrigger+DownArrow and press Select. Then DOSBox will start emulating PSP keys as PC keyboard.

In CONF file, add to autostart INPUTMAP, space, type psp key's name, space, then pc key name. For example:

INPUTMAP square space

Then, after pressing the key combination above, when you press Square, it will be like you pressed Space.

I'm using INPUTMAP controls like this:

INPUTMAP up up
INPUTMAP down down
INPUTMAP left left
INPUTMAP right right
INPUTMAP square space
INPUTMAP triangle y
INPUTMAP cross lctrl
INPUTMAP circle lalt

Now, onto PSP DOSBox compatilibity list. I tested some games with this PSP DOSBox version.

Alien Attack - Doesn't load, PSP shows black screen of death
Blake Stone, Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny - Runs only a little bit slow, but gameplay is still fun
Dangerous Dave - Good game, runs full speed
Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infirigment - Full speed
Mario - Full speed
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans - Full speed but music is choppy a little bit.

I would test more games, but I accidently corrupted all flash0 files while restoring old ones and I full bricked my psp.

jurkevicz
February 17th, 2008, 22:22
great emu, looking foward to new releases.

stanfy86
February 20th, 2008, 19:19
@ michalt441 thx for the info, its helping a lot, but now the problems im running into are game lockups after a few mins of gameplay....after about 2 mins i i notice that the frameskip appears to jump, and i get a slideshow effect untill the game crashes.......the ONLY game that hasnt done this is hocus pokus, but i think that has to do with the low requirements of the game.......to me it appears to be a mem leak, but i dont know code, so it's purly speculation

felipezacani
February 22nd, 2008, 17:39
Has anyone tested XCOM yet?
I can't do it because I have a psp slim, and it will not run in the first version (requires a mouse)
but I noticed some of you tried Settlers and even theme hospital, so I think maybe XCOM is playable now.

Please let me know :thumbup:

BTW, the PSX version of XCOM sucks big time. I have both of them.

bodhee
February 22nd, 2008, 21:44
not not being a dick, just stupid.. its not a torrent site..maybe you should check first..

michalt441
February 24th, 2008, 22:50
after about 2 mins i i notice that the frameskip appears to jump, and i get a slideshow effect untill the game crashes.......

That happened to me once. So I deleted my DOS game and installed it again on PSP and then it stopped crashing.

Try it. Worked for me.

If you keep having problems, I'll send you the link to complete package with navigator and some freeware games.

How would one set up the 3.1 files to have Windows 3.1 boot up?

I nearly died from laughing! :rofl:
You can't just put WINDOWS directory inside the directory you mounted as C:.
I checked and it won't work.

You need to make hard drive image file. First you're gonna need to install Win 3.1 through PC (not PSP) version of DOSBox, mount for example C:\W31DRV as Win3.1 drive, install it in here, and using special tools convert the contents of C:\W31DRV into one .img file. Then change the .img file name to "C".

Then you just type in Autoexec line like this:

SYSOPT clock 333
imgmount c ms0:/C.IMG
boot -l c

Then PSP DOSBox will mount C: drive as this .img file. The method that is used with mine PSP Win3.1 lets me write the image file (I can save files or configuration).

Oh yeah, sorry about the mistake, it's 3.1, not 3.11 :(

But keep up great work, Crazy_C! :thumbup:

dennis96411
March 26th, 2008, 03:32
Every time I shutdown it won't save any of the settings I made. How do I save it?

michalt441
April 8th, 2008, 13:52
It doesn't save because you're pressing home button to exit. DON'T USE HOME BUTTON TO EXIT THE GAME!

Instead, go to menu and Quit Game. You need to map triangle to "Y" first, so you can reply to "Press Y to exit to DOS" :P

Or if you don't want to map triangle to Y, you can just play the game in PC and in Options change controls to the ones you will be using on PSP.

Hope this helps.

jamaka
April 21st, 2008, 02:14
I just installed this and tested it on my first game (betrayal at krondor)

seems to run at full-speed but with choppy+static sound
(is there anything i can tweak in the confs to try and fix this? like changing device=default to device=win32 or some such thing?)

Randomness
May 22nd, 2008, 08:06
Does this version not work properly on PSP Slim? (i.e. Do I have to use the November 2007 slim version on the site?)

If thats the case it seems odd that the phat version is the only one being updated.

jurkevicz
May 23rd, 2008, 01:09
works fine on the slim .

spannernick
May 23rd, 2008, 15:10
Is there going to be a keyboard image added to this so you can type..??

Works fine on my slim firmware version 390 m33-2..

spannernick
May 23rd, 2008, 15:50
How do you add a game to this ..help needed..?

How do you mount a directory from your memory stick..?

midnitdragoon
June 5th, 2008, 23:58
does duke nukem 3D atomic ed run on this?

newb_fo_life
June 27th, 2008, 20:01
If you want to play WC2 i can recommend using the PS1 version of the game. Runs perfectly and you can use the analog stick too.

Lol dont post piracy plz

yogs
June 29th, 2008, 11:11
Now, onto PSP DOSBox compatilibity list. I tested some games with this PSP DOSBox version.

Grand prix 2- Runs only a little bit slow, but gameplay is still fun

comache RH:runs with sound

x wings: runs only little bit

discombobulated
June 30th, 2008, 13:28
I heard this runs Windows 3.1. Has anyone tried to use other DOS shells on this such as Calmira XP, which gives DOS a look like XP, or OpenGEM, SEAL, etc?