PDA

View Full Version : Latest NPD report shows Blu-ray sales were no trend

wraggster
January 30th, 2008, 20:28
Many were quick to claim that HD DVD was dead when the NPD group's numbers showed Blu-ray players had a 93 percent share the week after Warner's announcement. While those numbers were staggering, those with a level head wanted to wait to see if the blue camp could keep it up, and now according to the same firm, it did not. In fact the very next week sales were back to where we'd grown to expect them, about 65 percent Blu.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/29/latest-npd-report-shows-blu-ray-sales-were-no-trend/

Triv1um
January 30th, 2008, 22:09
Interesting, maybe its not the end.

But if HD-DVD wants a chance in hell to win its gonna' have to pull something big out of its ass.

DPyro
January 30th, 2008, 22:34
I'd say the ratio is lower now because of all the fire-sales for HD-DVD. Still need to wait till summer when almost all the studios are Blu-ray exclusive.

Tree
January 31st, 2008, 16:08
I still think blu-ray will win because think about it HD-DVD will stop gettin as much DVDs and there wont be much choice where blu-ray will grow and grow ... and i dont think anyone would transfer to HD-DVD at the moment

jdnation
January 31st, 2008, 19:16
This upswing for HD-DVD this week is most likely due to the clearence sales of HD-DVD players following Warner's switch and the huge surge of sales of blu-ray players and media. Stores are clearing inventory and dropping the prices of HD-DVD players to do so, many trying to pass them off not as HD-DVD players but rather as upscaling DVD players that also happen to play HD-DVDs. Stores don't plan to restock them, they're getting rid of them at dirt cheap prices and obviously many people are taking the chance to pick them up, hopefully those people are doing so with awareness of the situation... We'll have to see how this plays out in the following months. I'd expect that HD-DVD sales to grow lower as there will be less stock with no refills other than the people who are returning them.