PDA

View Full Version : Howard Stringer Not Sold On In-Game Ads

wraggster
January 31st, 2008, 22:53
In-game advertising seems like an easy way to turn a buck, right? Wrong. While advertising is established in magazines and television, games are a great unknown. Activision Blizzard honcho Bobby Kotick says he wouldn't go in that direction himself. "It's early days," according to Kotick. Sony bossman Howard Stringer also remains unconvinced.

Says Stringer:
"The [supposed] solution to everything at the moment in the digital space is ad-supported. While advertisers are happy to talk that up, there is a limit to the amount of money available... Young people don't like advertising very much..."

http://kotaku.com/350826/howard-stringer-not-sold-on-in+game-ads

F9zDark
January 31st, 2008, 23:08
In-game advertising seems like an easy way to turn a buck, right? Wrong. While advertising is established in magazines and television, games are a great unknown. Activision Blizzard honcho Bobby Kotick says he wouldn't go in that direction himself. "It's early days," according to Kotick. Sony bossman Howard Stringer also remains unconvinced.

Says Stringer:
"The [supposed] solution to everything at the moment in the digital space is ad-supported. While advertisers are happy to talk that up, there is a limit to the amount of money available... Young people don't like advertising very much..."

http://kotaku.com/350826/howard-stringer-not-sold-on-in+game-ads

So... What purpose does Home serve? While I agree, in game advertisements can be annoying (depending on the game obviously) it can be (who really knows) a good money maker.

Seeing those ads in R6:Vegas for Axe and those pretty ladies made me want to go out and buy some. I didn't though because I had no money left after buying the game... lol

So I guess in game ads really are a failure lol.

ketchup
February 1st, 2008, 08:33
Seeing those ads in R6:Vegas for Axe and those pretty ladies made me want to go out and buy some. I didn't though because I had no money left after buying the game... lol

Somehow I missed the AXE advertising (not called AXE in the UK I think - LYNX isn't it?). Anyway what a hit that advertising was if I didn't even spot it. Worst part is that I didn't even notice any girls there either - I must be slipping :( I guess I was concentrating on taking out the terrorists - the actual game part.