PDA

View Full Version : playing CD magic engine games on psp? i need help getting them to work! ys book i&ii

narutofreak07
February 1st, 2008, 03:23
i am going nuts here. i wanna play ys book i and ii with working sound on my psp, a classic CD magic engine turbo grafx game. ive done plenty of research and it seemed to all come in little bits on what i had to do. there was never one site that explained it all. and even so, i couldn't figure it out! so i'd like some help please.

i have ys book i and ii. i put it into my comp and used NightWolve's TurboRip to extract the files from the disc. here is an image of all the files that were extracted:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/3473/74888108ai3.png

those were all the files that were extracted using turborip. i didnt change any names or nothing, i just left it as that. then i loaded up my psp into my computer and went into GAME150 (i am running firmware 3.90 m33 btw). and then extracted my HuE V0.61 Alpha 2 emulator i downloaded in there to play the game. then i put a folder in there for the ys game, then i put all the ys files in that folder. then i loaded my psp and loaded the emulator, loaded a random .rom and then hit the left trigger+select to open config and then went to load cd game, then i loaded the ys cue sheet or whatever then hit continue game, and my random .rom was still going and ys wasnt starting. what am i doing wrong here??? help please

if someone could possibly write me out a tutorial to reach my goal of what i want to do, that would be great to. whatever it is, i just need help!

Tesseract
February 1st, 2008, 03:27
Try running the ISO rather than the cue sheet.

Also, if it works anything like the SegaCD stuff in PicoDrive, then you may also need to separate the data part of the ISO from the music tracks. Save the Music tracks in MP3 format and update the cuesheet.

I admit I don't have any TG-CD games to try myself, so this is the best info I can offer!

narutofreak07
February 1st, 2008, 03:28
they dont give me an option on the emulator to load a .ISO file

Tesseract
February 1st, 2008, 03:49
Hmmm.... and the main DCEmu page is putting my poor work PC into a tizzy, so I can't check to see if there's any handy info in the README.

I'll see what I can learn... But if you beat me to it by all means share the knowledge!

narutofreak07
February 1st, 2008, 04:11
i couldnt find any info to help me man

bah
February 1st, 2008, 08:33
I found this:

"Q: How do I play PC Engine CD/TurboDuo games?
A: You must copy the ISOs and MP3s of the game zip to your memory card, along with a TOC (Table of Contents) file. You can then load the "Super CD-ROM2 System V3.00 (J).pce" rom and load the CD game. MP3s must be 44,000KHz 128Kbps stereo. (Google for how to convert your mp3s to the appropriate bitrate)

1. Create a text file for your ISO+MP3 CD image.
2. Go to http://necstasy.emunova.net/ to find the table of contents for your image.
3. Cut and paste the table of contents into the text file.
4. Save the file as "gamename".toc (i.e. DraculaX.TOC)
5. Place your game files with the TOC file into a folder on your memory card.
6. Load Hue.
7. Load the Super CD-ROM System rom.
8. Load the TOC file from your CD Game folder."

I have not used this emulator, but it seems cdaudio does not work in the version you have linked to (or newer versions, it worked in older ones).

You could try renaming the .cue and .toc to the same filename as the .iso (add the -02 at the end).

You should really set windows to show file extensions for known file types rather than hiding them. That is probably the stupidest default setting in windows I can think of.

narutofreak07
February 1st, 2008, 22:37
ok i got it working now, but the track files dont play correctly at the certain parts in game. i need to number the files, but what should i number each file so i dont have this problem?

narutofreak07
February 1st, 2008, 22:44
also its kind of hard to find a program that can get a 44,000KHz. the closest to that i have ever seen is 44,000. are you sure its that and not 44,100?

narutofreak07
February 1st, 2008, 23:39
help someone?

bah
February 2nd, 2008, 03:20
?
Play them in winamp and just look for 44khz in the box next to the bitrate.

44,100 is pretty much standard. I'd say that's what they meant.
I just copied and pasted that info, it should be 44,100hz or 44.1khz. 44,000 (or 44,100) khz is 1000 times the frequency you want. :)

As i said the cd audio doesn't work in the version of the emulator you said you were using. Its commented on several times in it's release thread. Try one of the older versions, although they may be worse in other ways.

narutofreak07
February 2nd, 2008, 06:47
okay. show i be using HuE or PCEP?

bah
February 2nd, 2008, 09:52
I know nothing more about this system, or emulating it, than a quick search can tell me. I've never owned one nor used an emulator of the system.
No idea, sorry.

They all seem like fairly old (2005) emulators, its possible there isnt an emu for PSP that will run the game you want correctly.

To quote some posts from the emulator's (HuE 0.70) release thread:

'MP3 playback is still broke. I don't have any music in the games I tried. I hope this gets put back in the next release. If anyone has been able to get mp3 playback in Lords of Thunder or Ys Book I&II please let me know. The supergraphx is very nice though.'

'Well mp3 playback worked in versions .60 and .61. the last 2 releases it's been broke.'

You could try Hue 0.61 but I have no idea how the game will run (it seems the cd audio works under it though).

Someone else here must have used the app and be able to lend you a hand.....

narutofreak07
February 3rd, 2008, 02:20
ok i got the game fully working on my psp now. all mp3s are converted and they sound fine on the psp, but i sometimes get these little fuzz sounds from the mp3s and sometimes the mp3s are to slow and does not stay in sync with videos, etc.

i found out that the hue emulator only allows mp3s to play up to version 2 alpha 2. and pcep works to, up to the final version, but that emulator is in japanese. there is some flaws with each emulator though. wit hue, there are screen bugs and the mp3s dont loop. in pcep, there is no option for full screen and there are some screen bugs/glitches. but the mp3s do indeed loop. and the turbografx16 emu is crap because it doesnt play mp3s, and e[mulator] is just crap to, never tried that though.

im wondering if there is any way i can fix some of these screen glitches/bugs. any emulators that has these fixed, has a full view display option, and has mp3s to work and make them look and dont give fuzz at all? that would be a perfect emulator.

also, another flaw with hue. characters in the game sink into text message boxes.

also, im wondering. can i use midis instead of mp3s?

narutofreak07
February 3rd, 2008, 04:13
okay i have come to a conclusion. i am going to use PCEP for Magic Engine CD's and I will use TurboGrafx-16 for Roms. I have compared all the emulators out there and all versions. I have made the right choice and I know it.

the problems that occur, which are very minor, for the only magic engine cd game i wanna play, ys book i & ii, is as follows:

- Top and bottom screen borders go off the edge of the screen when using full screen feature.
- A screen glitch occurs occasionally in the game where a line will pass through one of the frames on the screen.
- .MP3's do not loop.
- Fuzz will occasionally occur while .MP3's are playing.
- The game play is not completely smooth.
- Videos are out of sync with the .MP3's.
- Some MP3's won't play when they should.

Besides this, there are no other problems with the game. Now if PCEP could fix these issues, then that would be fantastic. I do not know if these problems occur only with Ys Book I & II, however.

My reasons for why the other emulators don't work well is as followed:

- HuE will sometimes freeze and shutdown the PSP along with other errors. But that one single error there is just to big to deal with.
- E[Mulator] does not load Magic Engine CD games.
- Turbo-Grafx16 does not load Magic Engine CD Games. However, this emulator in my opinion, is the the best for ROMs.

okay. so problem solved.

Baboon
February 5th, 2008, 16:11
PCEP is the only one I use. 'R-type complete CD' and 'Ronaldo - Drack X' run more aless perfect! :)

If you play the games for a vast amount of time then the music sometimes doesn't loop... but overall the games play great.

I'm glad the kernel mode was released for 3.90m33 though as I couldnt't get PCECP to work with the user mode builds (even after converting the eboot through pspbrew etc).

The GUI sucks on PCEP though. :(

The only reason I like using HUE now and again was becasue 'Strider' worked (although the mp3 music never seemed to play at all?).

I've got my original 'Fighting Street' and 'Bonk 3' CD's to rip at some point to try on my psp but just haven't got round to it.

Raz45
August 30th, 2008, 05:16
I'm in desparate need of help trying to get ysI&II to work on Hue v0.70.

I went thru the steps that was shown on pg 1, but it never seems to work.

can some plz provide a better tutorial(step-by-step) for using and playing roms(mostly ys) on my psp.

I have a slim psp with firmwire 3.71 m33-3
using Hue v0.70.

wut my problem is that the "toc" file or the iso doesn't show up on Hue, just the cd player.pce

is there a way to make a .pce file out of ys I&II?