PDA

View Full Version : very sad news, half-life fans are gonna be disapointed

dark heart
February 1st, 2008, 10:11
hello, you may have seen me around the forums in the past asking for help and a resources. well i was working on a half-life clone/conversion for the quake2 engine to run with McZonk's quake 2 port.
i with the alot of help from paril [Q2 coder] got pretty far in filling in the fine details, well we were going to release half-life death match, because he was concerned about copy right issues. so it was a pretty good effort, we worked on the game a while, and got half way through finishing it when paril told me it wasn't really worth following up until McZonk released a stable quake 2 port, and at that point he went back to other projects and i decided it was time to upgrade my computer and was looking forward to it since mine was pre 2000 ;)

so we took it to a friend to fixes computers and i left my dad to talk the technical details over with him, so i find out he's wiped my hardrive because apparently he told me to back it up, well thats 5 years of hard work down the drain on that decision because i tried to avoid backing up my computer. not only am i angry at my dad, but angry at my self for my laziness. backing up my slave drive; it just never occurred to me.

not only that but i was kinda oblivious to some minor complications windows can throw at me.

so I'm really sorry, i was looking forward to releasing this but, well, i don't have the patients or the will to start from scratch.

you can have a look at my site (in my sig) to see a fews screens, but it was only 1% of what i got up to before i got the chance to back up my computer.

I'm going to take a break from making games for the time being, i need some time, but I'm not giving up until i create a descent game for my favorite console.

oh well, future people in psp devopment, learn from my mistake and back everything up.

cya around the forums

JKKDARK
February 1st, 2008, 15:04
That's terrible news :(

Wally
February 1st, 2008, 23:39
You can recover the contents of your computer regardless if you formatted it or not.

There are various recovery programs that work well, I think Handy Recovery or File Recovery something.

Just dont use it too much otherwise, bye bye data.

Oh i should mention Time Machine works well for backing up, oops.. Its Mac only :P

dark heart
February 3rd, 2008, 06:03
thanks wal really helpful ;)

No_one_in_particular
February 3rd, 2008, 06:11
I was looking forward to it as well :( Hope you can recover it...

dark heart
February 3rd, 2008, 08:05
if i could i would, it's about 5 years of work, programs and other things, besides, i don't have any back-ups.

Wally
February 3rd, 2008, 09:17
Well try that recovery program already.

dark heart
February 10th, 2008, 09:17
the drive was formatted, so it's not recoverable

Axelius
February 10th, 2008, 13:16
Even if a drive is formatted, this is in fact not so bad. Some recovery programs can still restore a lot of data from a formatted drive.

Good luck.

dark heart
February 19th, 2008, 05:30
hmm? if you know a good program for that please don't hesitate to tell me :D

HaloBro35
February 21st, 2008, 03:23
o...m.....g..... Man I can't beleive that I feel so sorry for you man. That half life mod looked quite amazing! I was actually looking around for a half-life quake mod but I guess it's not gona happen =/. maybe you can try that recovery thing people keep on talking about. Also, If you can't recover it Jomart2000 and The Mechanix over at are workin on a halo mod for psp using quake engine and have gotten very far. They're lookin for help for weapon models, because they're good with maps but apparently they're not great with weapon models. They are working on zanzibar as their next map right now. If you want to help em out if you can't find your half-life stuff, go here: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/sony-psp-homebrew/24167-psp-halo.html

Also, I really do hope you can get ure half life stuff back because this mod looked awesome.

HaloBro35
February 27th, 2008, 04:04
I found a link to a recovery program and sent it to you via pm.... hope it helps

bacalacadaca
February 28th, 2008, 20:19
****ing idiot now what am i suppost to do play half life on my pc!!!:(

haha jk

well you should help out on the halo thing its ****ing terrible wifi wont even work i dont know how the **** to move weapons look horrible but all their hard work will pay off maybe i just need to read more about it and wait till its complete:D

FoShizzle17
March 1st, 2008, 20:15
oh man this sucks.....
the game looked really nice too

I hope you can recover your data

I think someone should make half life as a quake 1 mod, just like CS portable and halo were made. Was your half life game actually going to work on the PSP, dark heart?

rbervoets
March 4th, 2008, 07:57
Post back if you recover it :)

dark heart
March 4th, 2008, 11:28
Post back if you recover it
i recovered it XD i didn't really pay much attention to this thread but halobro sent me the link, ok so i've recovered most of it, but i'm just going to wait till McZonk releases a stable quake 2 psp, because my coder has little experience with porting games to psp.
if i can get the source code to the working version of quake 2 psp i'll get right on it, because i want to know that all my hard work is not in vain but until then i'll just be going around helping people with they're projects. you know, jordansg57 is making a ZELDA deathmatch, google him and his project, i made him a tree :D.

i also just want to remind everyone that half-life psp will only be a death match, i haven't planned a full game, one because it would involve some sort of system where you'd have to own one, rada, rada, you get the drill, it wouldn't just be the original files, but making a deathmatch would be a lot safer.

rbervoets
March 4th, 2008, 19:24
i recovered it XD i didn't really pay much attention to this thread but halobro sent me the link, ok so i've recovered most of it, but i'm just going to wait till McZonk releases a stable quake 2 psp, because my coder has little experience with porting games to psp.
if i can get the source code to the working version of quake 2 psp i'll get right on it, because i want to know that all my hard work is not in vain but until then i'll just be going around helping people with they're projects. you know, jordansg57 is making a ZELDA deathmatch, google him and his project, i made him a tree :D.

i also just want to remind everyone that half-life psp will only be a death match, i haven't planned a full game, one because it would involve some sort of system where you'd have to own one, rada, rada, you get the drill, it wouldn't just be the original files, but making a deathmatch would be a lot safer.

YAY !!!

Good job xP

FoShizzle17
March 4th, 2008, 21:58
good

michalt441
April 2nd, 2008, 15:54
deathmatch? i wont download it then as at the moment the only homebrew that can use internet and got to work for me is psptube.

i know full game isnt legal but if you do only the levels that were included in demo ver thats ok.

No_one_in_particular
April 2nd, 2008, 19:40
Yeh that's a fair point^ Have the demo & deathmatch options :) Either way, glad you were able to recover it !