PDA

View Full Version : Is Sony's PS3 getting a redesign?

Shrygue
February 1st, 2008, 19:09
via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/01/is-sonys-ps3-getting-a-redesign/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/02/slim_ps3.jpg

According to T3 magazine and a "particularly well-informed insider," the PS3 is due not just for hard drive updates, but a total design revamp down to a slimmer and smaller package sometime in the Fall. If you believe what you read, the refreshed console will sport all the same specs, but will receive a fresh coat of paint, a trip through the shrinking machine, and probably a lightened load.

Of course, this is all just wild speculation coupled with salacious, magazine-selling 3D renders of the phantom device, as Sony denies the existence of an update and we don't really know who this source is. On the other hand, the company pulls this kind of ditzy "who me?" stuff whenever it's got a new product up its sleeve -- though we're not feeling the timing on this shocker.

F9zDark
February 1st, 2008, 19:39
I don't think a PS3 Slim is coming anytime soon. Sony will soon be earning a profit on the PS3, to go ahead and make something that would HURT profits this early on is stupid...

Case in point, when laptops first came out into the mainstream they were far more expensive than their beefier desktop cousins...

JKKDARK
February 1st, 2008, 19:41
It's too soon

Eviltaco64
February 1st, 2008, 20:02
Yeah, usually a slim model comes about 4 years after release, and it wouldnt look like someone put a Wii inside the top cover of the PS3.

Shrygue
February 1st, 2008, 20:03
True, much too soon. Sony really should wait at least 3-4 more before rolling out a second revision of the Playstation 3, just like they did for the PS2.

Napalm-Death
February 1st, 2008, 20:22
That way current owners can upgrade and actually feel satisfied about upgrading. I wonder if they'll find a way to get the EE back in though...

DPyro
February 1st, 2008, 21:19
Like I said somewhere else, this is actually possible. The PSP came out in 2005, and the Slim came out in 2007 which means it only took them two years to release a slimmer version. Now with the PS3, they've shrunk the Cell and BD-ROM, cut the PS2 chips out, and could shrink the heat pipe used in the PS3. If they can manage to reduce the power consumed they can also do what the PSTwo did and make the power supply external.

F9zDark
February 1st, 2008, 21:31
Like I said somewhere else, this is actually possible. The PSP came out in 2005, and the Slim came out in 2007 which means it only took them two years to release a slimmer version. Now with the PS3, they've shrunk the Cell and BD-ROM, cut the PS2 chips out, and could shrink the heat pipe used in the PS3. If they can manage to reduce the power consumed they can also do what the PSTwo did and make the power supply external.

The PSP however was slimmed down by mere milimeters. This is an overhaul. It could very well be possible, I just feel Sony would rather wait and get the Cell shrunk down to 45nm (which Sony said is possible; whether that means now or a year later, who knows) and the GPU would need to be shrunk down too (which they could do, they have said they shrunk it down 65nm).

JKKDARK
February 1st, 2008, 22:16

The PSP was released in Decmber 2004

Accordion
February 1st, 2008, 22:29
the other news about SCE discussing how to put distance between two models does add some credibility to this claim.

Many people [strangely] do not like the appearance of the system, and a slimmer model which emphasizes the lack of additional ports and media bay would gather some appeal.

It does seem too soon though.

F9zDark
February 1st, 2008, 22:51

Not in the US it wasn't, nor in Europe.

lmtlmt
February 1st, 2008, 23:42

It was released September 07 here

Shadowblind
February 1st, 2008, 23:49
Pah, Sony isn't so desperate they would make a Wii-looking ps3. Fake.

lmtlmt
February 2nd, 2008, 01:03
Plus the CD is in upside down:p

Nicko01
February 2nd, 2008, 01:51
The PS3 and Wii's new child!
lol...
It really looks like a combination of a Wii and a PS3.

PLZKLLME0080
February 2nd, 2008, 02:56
the picture looks kinda photoshopped.

lmtlmt
February 2nd, 2008, 03:20
its so photoshopped its not even funny

DarthPaul
February 2nd, 2008, 05:32

March here.

A PS3 Slim would be sweet. But I doubt it will come out so soon.

lmtlmt
February 2nd, 2008, 07:53
If this were real it wouldnt be that thin! Man thats way too thin.

jdnation
February 2nd, 2008, 18:00
It is fake, it's just a mock up made by the site.

I don't see a slimmer one happening anytime soon, thoguh no doubt Sony is working on it... if it does get slimmed down soon it'll be in the same vein as the PSP slim... looks the same... just a bit smaller... Nothing to get so excited about but it would be a bit more managable.

acn010
February 2nd, 2008, 18:04

lets not forget that the blueray laser has shrunken also

Eviltaco64
February 2nd, 2008, 18:07
It is fake, it's just a mock up made by the site.

I don't see a slimmer one happening anytime soon, thoguh no doubt Sony is working on it... if it does get slimmed down soon it'll be in the same vein as the PSP slim... looks the same... just a bit smaller... Nothing to get so excited about but it would be a bit more managable.

Well look at how much they reduced the size of Playstation 1 and 2. If they came out with a Slim PS3 now, it would be a little smaller and wouldnt really a big improvement over the current PS3. If they waited a couple more years for production costs to go down, then they'll probably make a good looking more efficient PS3.

Triv1um
February 3rd, 2008, 18:12
http://web.syr.edu/~rtharper/bullshit.jpg

Eviltaco64
February 3rd, 2008, 19:00
http://web.syr.edu/~rtharper/bullshit.jpg

Heheheh, it does.