PDA

View Full Version : iPod classic Firmware Update May Damage Headphones

wraggster
February 1st, 2008, 23:26
Some iPod classic owners who installed the recently released 1.1 firmware are reporting that their iPods are sending electrical pulses through the headphone jack and docking port, even when the units are turned off. The pulses, estimated to be 500mv worth of DC, may be enough to damage equipment that is plugged in.

Elsewhere, audiophiles on the Head-Fi forums are complaining that the update brought "hiss" and "static" to the classic, and others say that the firmware froze their iPods or restored them inadvertently. (Note: We have not noticed any irregularities like this after extended use with our own updated classic.)

So what's the reason behind all this? Is El Jobso trying to control our minds with hypnotic pulses again? Make us switch to the iPhone? Per usual, Apple does not have any response to the matter. If a new firmware update comes soon, well, that's probably as good a confirmation as we're ever gonna get.

http://gizmodo.com/351676/ipod-classic-firmware-update-may-damage-headphones

Napalm-Death
February 2nd, 2008, 04:09
....And now I know why my earphones have been acting up like that.

Anonymous D
February 2nd, 2008, 09:17
strangely enough my classic has reset itself a lot recently, though probably just co incidence

tohm82
February 2nd, 2008, 12:18
Yeah my headphones have gone a bit Frank Spencer as well...

Shadowblind
February 2nd, 2008, 13:11
I have 4 pairs of headphones where the left phone just went out. Thanks Apple.

lightningquickguy14
February 2nd, 2008, 16:13
...hmm... My Classic has been, strangely enough, working a lot better since the 1.1 update. Weird.