PDA

View Full Version : PSP7800: Atari 7800 emulator for PSP v1.1.2 (final)

zx-81
February 2nd, 2008, 12:24
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/psp7800-snap-v110.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSP7800 the Atari 7800 console emulator !

For those who haven't seen previous versions, ProSystem is the best emulator
of Atari 7800 game console, running on Windows system.

It has been written by Greg Stanton, see http://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton for details.

What's new in version 1.1.2 :

- Major speed improvements (> 60 fps at 222Mhz)
but limited at 50fps by default
- Auto-fire mode, press RTrigger+X to switch it on/off
useful for games such as space Xevious !
On given games, the auto fire can't be stopped easily
(so you might have to disable it several times)
- It uses now only PSP GU for rendering
- IR keyboard support
(pretty useless, but don't forget, i'm a shadok)
- Add several new hotkeys :
. settings such as fps, render mode, auto fire speed
can now be directly modified inside the emulator
(no need to enter in the settings menu)
. quick save / quick load current state
(no need to enter in the main menu)
- RTrigger/LTrigger keys can be used in the keyboard
settings menu to navigate between Normal, LTrigger
and RTrigger compose mapping.
- Analog pad can be used in the rom file requester
- Default Hotkeys can now be set in the keyboard mapping menu
(useful to add hotkeys on existing/previous keyboard files)
- Bug fix in the low battery watchdog

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

You can find it here : http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Enjoy,

Zx

carpy
February 2nd, 2008, 14:20
Perfection.

1,000 thanks, ZX!

carpy
February 4th, 2008, 14:53
ZX - I've been playing with it, and I'm a little curious abotu the speed limiter. It doesn't seem like it does anything, or at least, it's not very accurate. The speed overall is much better now - some games running at 80-90fps with speed limiting set to "Off". But when I set the Speed limiting to 60FPS which is the default for the NTSC Atari 7800, it never actually stays at 60FPS. Most games will run at 63FPS which is a little fast, and it's a little jumpy, almost like the frame limiter only kicks in every few seconds. Some games still don't run at a full 60fps, but they get close enough 55-56fps, which is fine.

zx-81
February 4th, 2008, 16:01
The speed limiter stuff is not accurate at all ... it's simple, not cpu consuming but not accurate. Sometimes you have to set to 58 to get effective 60 fps ...

carpy
February 4th, 2008, 20:44
Cool. It's great, I just wasn't sure if it was just me..

Anyway, I've attached an updated ProSystem.dat file that fixes some of the problems with timing in a few games (One on One and Realsports Baseball) and fixes Pokey Detection in Ballblazer and Beef Drop (Burgertime clone).

carpy
February 5th, 2008, 15:28
Hey Zx - is it possible to add a V-Sync control option to this one?

I know it slows some things down, but for the vertical or horizontal scrolling games like Kung Fu Master and Xevious, when the screen vertically syncs now, there a noticeable and annoying/distracting screen breakup. Most of these games run fast enough now that even with V-Sync enabled, it wouldn't affect FPS so much that it would be noticable. It's not really needed for the static screen (non-scrolling) games like Donkey Kong or Ms Pac-Man, but for the scrollers, it would be a huge benefit - so if it could be turned on or off from the options menu it would be perfect.

thanks,

dan

zx-81
February 5th, 2008, 19:53
thanks :). I've uploaded a new version with the vsync feature. But you need to put the cpu clock to 266 ...

carpy
February 5th, 2008, 20:36
Dude!!!!!

Perfect.

If you set the PSP clock to 333, V-Sync to ON, and frame limiter to NO, the scrolling games(Xevious, Kung Fu Master) get a perfect 60 FPS, no ticks, no jumps, just perfection!

There's a few games that slow down a bit too much with v-synch enabled, like Beef Drop, but none of them are side or vertical scrolling games, so you can set V-Sync to off and they run perfect too.

AWESOME.

carpy
February 5th, 2008, 20:53
Come to think of it - that V-sync option might help some of the jumpy scrolling games for PSP2600 and PSPATARI/5200 as well.

River Raid and Keystone Kapers for BOTH the PSP5200 and PSP2600 suffer the same problems, although not as pronounced as the psp7800 version displayed.

zx-81
February 6th, 2008, 07:30
I've uploaded (on my blog) a new version of psp7800 with the vsync option, but the speed is seriously decreased (you need to put speed to 266Mhz with Xevious).

JLsoft
February 6th, 2008, 19:10
First off, thanks for your constant updates zx-81 :)

In the PC STELLA builds, there's a command line parameter of '-clipvol [0/1]' that supposedly gets rid of the sound clipping.

Whenever you're bored, could you take a look at how they handle that? If it's easy to implement and use on the PSP version, it would probably also fix the major sound clipping/crackling problems that show up in PSP7800 and PSPATARI.

carpy
February 6th, 2008, 19:28
Unfortunately, neither PSPATARI, nor PSP7800 are based on Stella. PSP7800 is the "Prosystem" emulator for PC with a PSPSDK wrapper on it. A Damn great one too, ZX has done a tremendous job with all the bugging I do to get him to update it.

The /clipvol option might work for PSP2600, but PSP2600 doesn't really have sound issues.

But both PSP2600 and PSPATARI could benefit from adding a V-Sync option, if it's possible/available in the source code.

zx-81
February 6th, 2008, 21:39
i've uploaded on my blog new versions (but same filename) of both psp2600 and psp7800 with vsync option ...

carpy
February 6th, 2008, 23:09
Perfect. No more screen tearing on scrollling games.

for the PSP2600, it's best to set the emu at 266mhz, vsync to yes, and frame limiter to no.

JLsoft
February 7th, 2008, 07:07
I know that neither are based on STELLA, I was just pointing out STELLA as an example of something that already has a way to deal with volume clipping that can be easily studied :)

carpy
February 14th, 2008, 18:23
I know that neither are based on STELLA, I was just pointing out STELLA as an example of something that already has a way to deal with volume clipping that can be easily studied :)

ZX - I think he's got a point here. I've been pouring over the PSP7800 source code, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the overall volume output. It seems like the Emu has enough speed now with it USing the PSP GU, but the sounce issues seem to be more output volume-overflow oriented than speed issues.

Is there a way to know the source volume back to say 90% before it processes through the PSP mixer?

zx-81
February 14th, 2008, 22:47
Using SDL_MixAudio function you can modify the volume of your samples

carpy
February 14th, 2008, 23:43
Ok, Where does that go, in the PSP_sound.c file?

I understand it needs this function, but not sure exactly where to put it.

carpy
April 3rd, 2008, 21:44
ZX - I know this one is pretty much finished, but I'd really like to try attenuating the sound output down to about 75% (or maybe 50% to see if a dramatic difference) of full volume. I think this will clear up the scratchiness in some games, but I can't seem to figure out how to to the SDL_MixAudio function to make a difference.

zeddex
May 5th, 2008, 16:50
Sorry if this is a noob question - but I can't get a visual with this and have tried everything. Just a black screen with audio....Running 3.90 M33....have added the 7800.rom.....and just get a black screen. Any ideas? Thanks!!

carpy
July 14th, 2008, 05:42
I've attached updated sound source files, gets rid scratchiness, sound is vastly improved.

Also I've attached the source files for the FINAL NTSC color palette.

And updated the prosystem.dat database file to allow the recently discovered Missing In Action rom to play properly.

zx-81
July 22nd, 2008, 23:23
excellent, i will release new version with all those changes and give credits to which is due ;)

carpy
July 23rd, 2008, 03:11
Just updated. final version now.

zx-81
July 24th, 2008, 08:19
a new version is coming soon