PDA

View Full Version : Overflow TiFF Exploit for Firmware 2.10

wraggster
February 4th, 2008, 00:17
via ps3hax (http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=2800)

Team ICE and SorroW have released a "overflow.tiff" exploit today which is confirmed working on PS3 firmwares up to 2.10 on BOTH PAL and NTSC consoles.

At the moment the TIFF file freezes the PS3 via "heap overflow" (not buffer overflow), but by knowing the "backend number and making the right calls" it is possible to inject a simple code."

This is mainly being released so other hacking teams can take a crack at it, and hopefully it can accomplish what all PS3 hackers have been patiently waiting for. (Team ICE could not get the full potential of this TiFF becuase they lacked the PS3 SDK)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Triv1um
February 4th, 2008, 00:21
Lets pray.

Gizmo356
February 4th, 2008, 00:23
I hope it has potential to actually do something interesting and good thing I have a warrenty because I can see a 500dollar brick comming my way :P j/k

phsychokill
February 4th, 2008, 00:57
wow you would think sony would learn after the tiff hack on the psp but i bet its gone next firmware. but you ever wonderd if sony leaves these in just to see if some1 will find them?

DPyro
February 4th, 2008, 01:01
Hey, this even crashes IrfanView

Nicko01
February 4th, 2008, 01:02
No, it's not Sony's fault about the tiff exploit, it's just because of the actual file format.
And, if this leads to homebrew, then no more updating for me! :)

Caresnare
February 4th, 2008, 01:07
Idea for PSP Pokemon Game:

Hello everyone...Here's a thought:

Named: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (Sagas)...Pick a starter pokemon out of Chimchar, Piplup or Turtwig. battle, use moves, go to commands or catch it with a Pokeball.

All this while walking arounf freely. and you can go to different towns, level-up your pokemon, get gym badges and play with friends.

Lastly, you can play with Ash or Dawn and enter contests.

Nicko01
February 4th, 2008, 01:11
Caresnare, that does not belong here...
If you want someone to listen to you, post it with all the other ideas.

Napalm-Death
February 4th, 2008, 01:16
I can't wait for something to come out of this...

MicroNut
February 4th, 2008, 03:40
Is there suppose to be an email address and file path embedded in this tiff file?

quzar
February 4th, 2008, 04:03
What's the big deal when you can do whatever on linux?

Sterist
February 4th, 2008, 04:10
this will certainly bring update 2.11 by friday whether it has potential or not. mark my words

edit: for above post: linux locks down a lot of hardware, including all hopes of 3D graphics (for more domestic programs than internet browsers)

and besides, hijacked firmware is the best way to go.

MicroNut
February 4th, 2008, 04:13

No RSX Access. (video acceleration)
Pull the video card from your PC and put the lowest end card you can think of in there.
Then you get the idea.

DPyro
February 4th, 2008, 04:19

Linux is extremely gimped when it comes to graphics. Sony refuses to release a graphics driver that allows you to utilize even a little bit of the RSX, so running Linux is pretty pointless ATM.

Zin0099
February 4th, 2008, 06:52
yeah but hacking the ps3 might mean losing psn downloads but putting ps0ne,ps2,ps3 games homebrew and apps on the hdd would be nice
also maybe getting windows xp on the other os would be cool

F9zDark
February 4th, 2008, 07:14

Linux is great and all, but I think the big deal is that people want to use the PS3 XMB to launch their games, much in the same way as it is on the PSP. As well, if this hack does turn into something useful, as the other exploits did on the PSP, we could potentially run homebrew games without any restrictions on the CPU, GPU or Ram.

Mister Klownes
February 4th, 2008, 07:26
come oooon PS1/PS2 backups

Sterist
February 4th, 2008, 10:52
i want to see some n64 / gc / xbox emulation take place.... imagine that.

oh... cant forget an mp3 module for games

quzar
February 4th, 2008, 11:37
Oh. Warez. Of course, I should have known.

ryan2006
February 4th, 2008, 12:54
if this happens ill look foward to a region free ps1/ps2 disc loader as i have a jap ps3 and cant play any on my ps1/2 games on it and my ps2 is dead lol

Mekanaizer
February 4th, 2008, 14:33
@quzar

It's why this new people want it for warez!

Nicko01
February 4th, 2008, 20:38
I would love to see the homebrew potential of the PS3. It IS the most powerful next-gen. The good thing is that it wouldn't be very hard to port a linux emulator to PS3 since it already is PowerPC architecture. I would definitely install Ubuntu :)
Also, emulation would be fantastic. We would easily get full speed N64 on that. I'm sure the programming for PS3 can't be much different than PSP, so porting Daedalus would be pretty easy, especially because it is open source.

Think of this:
Three generations of homebrew on one console, PS1, PS2, and PS3. Plus, it would be easy to port PSP stuff over too. That would lead to a ton of homebrew.
Pirating PS3 games would be difficult for most people though, due to the size. Most people wouldn't upload the games because of how large they are, and people wouldn't want to download them either. That is very good for Sony :)

F9zDark
February 4th, 2008, 21:09
Oh. Warez. Of course, I should have known.

Could be part of the reason why hackers are working on it, but its not something I do. All this time of having a PSP with homebrew, I haven't ever downloaded a retail game.

The worst I have done (which isn't illegal as far as I am concerned) is I have made my own backups of GTA LCS and Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony to spare myself the loading times, but I paid for both copies of those and still have them on UMD, and I can imagine downloading or ripping BD games would more time consuming than its worth for the average person.

tallica
February 5th, 2008, 00:05
Yeah the main reason people want this is for warez.

LilSwish722
February 5th, 2008, 00:43
Hmm. If this leads to homebrew or DAX hacking it...I may buy a PS3

Sterist
February 5th, 2008, 03:03
dax has his hands full. donīt expect to see any more releases from him, and donīt be surprised to see more releases either. i doubt heīd get his hands tied in with ps3 custom firmwares. thereīs nearly 5x the firmware to hack, and then thereīs the programming differences....

Terial
February 5th, 2008, 04:29
SAWEET!!! I could play FFXIII like half a year before it comes out in the states! In all honesty, it'd be great to DL all of the japanese RPGs im looking forward to, long before I buy them in English. That saves me from having to wait for long importing.

But really, think of the insane possibilities for this. You could play PS3 games with your PSP with remote play, play nearly every system imaginable on it, and soooo much more. my God, please let this work.

DPyro
February 5th, 2008, 16:24
I can imagine downloading or ripping BD games would more time consuming than its worth for the average person.

They wouldn't need to download it, they could just rent and rip it themselves.

quzar
February 5th, 2008, 16:28
They wouldn't need to download it, they could just rent and rip it themselves.

That's much more legal :rolleyes:

Nicko01
February 6th, 2008, 00:37
Still, that would take a very long time to rip all of that data, plus it would need compression, which means MUCH longer. Think of how long it takes to rip a PSP game. It can take around a half hour. A PS3 game takes around 10+ times as much memory. A 5+ hour wait isn't going to be very fun.
As for the hard drive size, you might want an increase. I would recommend:
http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=16816&partner=googlebase&bid=3
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3333210&CatId=139
It's very easy to upgrade the HDD on the PS3. You can get a TB for around $300.

DPyro
February 6th, 2008, 00:46
It is true that you'd need to use a NTFS partition too which the PS3 can't read.

quzar
February 6th, 2008, 09:01
It is true that you'd need to use a NTFS partition too which the PS3 can't read.

Why would you need ntfs?

DPyro
February 6th, 2008, 15:45
FAT32 has a max file size limit of 4GB

Triv1um
February 6th, 2008, 16:08

Didnt someone prove that it wasnt FAT32?

I'm sure I read it on here, could of been bull.

Accordion
February 6th, 2008, 16:48
Didnt someone prove that it wasnt FAT32?

I'm sure I read it on here, could of been bull.

the Internal HDD does not have a 4GB limit, GT5:Prologue is around 5GB. But i think the PS3 partition is unreadable.

Surely the FAT32 restriction could be lifted through an exploit though[for better or worse]

F9zDark
February 6th, 2008, 16:53
the Internal HDD does not have a 4GB limit, GT5:Prologue is around 5GB. But i think the PS3 partition is unreadable.

Surely the FAT32 restriction could be lifted through an exploit though[for better or worse]

The FAT32 limitation is built into the actual FileSystem; there is no current way of getting past this limitation, although some programs (video editing software) can get past this limitation.

The PS3's internal HDD is a proprietary filesystem which has yet to be decoded, decrypted, etc. So no ripping or downloading games until that happens.

The worst someone could possibly do is rip PS1 and PS2 games to an external HDD, but I don't think the hack is at that stage yet and probably won't be for sometime, without an SDK.

quzar
February 6th, 2008, 17:09

My point was more, why would you need NTFS. There are plenty of other filesystems out there that could handle the large files from bluray discs (or the larger still bluray image file).

DPyro
February 6th, 2008, 17:48
Because the PS3 only reads FAT and FAT32 partitions, unless you created a plugin for it to read other types of partition.

quzar
February 6th, 2008, 18:46
Because the PS3 only reads FAT and FAT32 partitions, unless you created a plugin for it to read other types of partition.

You means it only reads those partitions without being exploited? The whole point is to open up the hardware to do whatever you want it to do. There's also the notion that they could figure out how to read and write in the ps3 FS now isn't there?

My point was simply that there are much easier to implement filesystems that can store files greater than 4gb. So you saying that you would "need" NTFS in order to store a bluray disc is faulty.

DPyro
February 6th, 2008, 19:31
No, I know they could just as easily create a plugin to read the PS3 filesystem.

DantetheDemon
April 25th, 2009, 19:14
We don't need to download games onto our HDD's. My friends friend gave my friend a game that was downloaded onto a disc, Ive used a disc to download games on my 360. The type of discs are called DVD+R DL. I think it might work on the ps3 , and if it doesn't then we can find a way for the ps3 to read the disc :thumbup: