PDA

View Full Version : EA: PS3 to outsell Xbox 360 in 2008

Shrygue
February 4th, 2008, 19:50
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181372)

Electronic Arts estimates that Sony's PS3 will outsell Microsoft's Xbox 360 during 2008, while the Wii will remain the clear frontrunner in the home console market.

While Sony has cut its internal PS3 sales target for the current fiscal year, and EA has admitted that PS3 development hurdles have not yet quite been cleared, the mega-publisher behind the Madden and FIFA franchises expects Sony's next-gen console to sell up to 5.5 million units more than Microsoft's Xbox 360 across Europe and the US during 2008.

According to EA's internal estimates, Sony will sell between 4.5 and 5.5 million PS3s in the US and 5 to 6 million PS3s in Europe during 2008 - that's 9.5 to 11.5 million units in total.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is expected to sell 4.5 to 5.5 million Xbox 360s in the US, but only 1.5 to 2.5 million units in Europe, so between 6 million and 8 million units altogether.

EA also forecast that Nintendo's Wii will outsell both rival systems, shifting between 5.5 and 6.5 million units in the US and 6.5 to 7.5 million units in Europe, totalling between 12-14 million units.

US and European PS2 sales estimates range between 3.9 and 4.9 million units in total.

EA therefore estimates that total home console sales for the two regions during 2008 will range between 31.4 and 38.4 million units.

The company also expects Nintendo's DS to dominate the handheld market, shifting between 14 and 16 million units, in comparison to PSP sales of between 6 and 8 million units. Combined handheld unit sales would therefore total between 20 and 24 million.

EA stresses that its estimates may not reflect the views of the hardware manufacturers, and that its predictions are subject to alterations.

Last week Codemasters' CEO Rod Cousens told Next-Gen that he also expects Sony's PlayStation 3 to gather sales momentum over the coming years.

devdj
February 4th, 2008, 20:01
well its about time the x-box 360 gets pwned this year

JKKDARK
February 4th, 2008, 20:17
well its about time the x-box 360 gets pwned this year

Sorry, not this generation..

chipan
February 4th, 2008, 20:21
Why did EA announced tha PS3 will outsell X360?
I think EA is planning to release a Bugged game who will let the PS3 to load Backups. Otherwise is impossible the awfully designed PS3 could outsell XBOX 360.

And yes, I don't like EA and all of his repeating turd-games

robman84
February 4th, 2008, 21:44
Hmm, methinks they will need to revise their figures downwards in light of the recent doom and gloom in the financial markets. Friends of mine in retail have already started to notice people seriously cutting back their spending.

WhizzBang
February 4th, 2008, 21:50
Otherwise is impossible the awfully designed PS3 could outsell XBOX 360.

The XBox 360 is hardly well designed. It is noisy, it crashes and has a high hardware failure rate. I haven't actually used a PS3 (I have a 360) but it surely can't be worse than the Xbox 360.

sappo
February 4th, 2008, 22:29
Yeah, yeah... sure EA...

The only console PS3 will outsell will be the PopStation xD
http://file.abi-load.de/bao-blog/uploaded_images/DiePopStation_C572/Popstation4.jpg

Joe88
February 5th, 2008, 00:35
guys look at the facts
the 360 doesnt really have anything good coming this year
halo is out so now they really have nothing, well maybe gears 2 if it comes out by the end of the year

the ps3 side however has MGS4, Resistance 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and Killzone 2 (I know people are like "lol halo killer my ass" but you never know ;) )

pibs
February 5th, 2008, 07:06
guys look at the facts

Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Wars, Too Human, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Fable 2, The Precursors, Theseis, Banjo 3, Lost Odyssey just some that i know that im considering getting for 360

and i do believe the ps3 will outsell the 360 but i doubt the ps3 hardware sales will.

Veskgar
February 5th, 2008, 07:30
The XBox 360 is hardly well designed. It is noisy, it crashes and has a high hardware failure rate. I haven't actually used a PS3 (I have a 360) but it surely can't be worse than the Xbox 360.

Well now I do own the PS3 and 360 and I'd have to say I believe the PS3 is superior. The XBOX 360 is ridiculously noisy. And yes I have at least 1 friend who has had their XBOX 360 go twice. Also, I find the XBOX 360 dashboard frustrating to navigate. Then there is the frustration when you want to switch controllers. And having to get an external HD-DVD player for a Hi-Def movie solution? Oh, and no built in WiFi like the Wii and PS3.

The PS3 is whisper quiet and hasn't even given me a hiccup yet. Built in Blu-Ray support is a huge feature. The PS3's XMB is preferred over the busy XBOX Dashboard. Downloading stuff such as Game Demos is much faster on PS3. Switching controller ports is very easy and its got built-in WiFi which works great.

These are just my opinions and observations. To each his own. Its just my opinion that the PS3 is superior and has longer staying power than the 360. Especially since every indicator is showing that Blu-Ray will be the victorious format in the HD format wars.

The 360 will at some point need a redesign with more features built in if it hopes to stand the test of time.

pibs
February 5th, 2008, 09:05
that is true, im on my second 360 already but its more of a now console rather than a wait and see whats gonna come out on it console.

but dude the ps3 updates piss me off they take forever..... especially everytime i want to use the browser. its pretty cool how it downloads the demos for you though. for ps3 im just waiting on the dual shock because its too xpensive to import one.

Baboon
February 5th, 2008, 09:40
guys look at the facts
halo is out so now they really have nothing, well maybe gears 2 if it comes out by the end of the year

the ps3 side however has MGS4, Resistance 2, Final Fantasy XIII, and Killzone 2 (I know people are like "lol halo killer my ass" but you never know ;) )

Yeah theres like nothing coming out on the 360 this year? :rofl:

...and I'm sorry but Resistance 1 was just awfull. I thought 'Black' on the xbox 1 looked and played better than the first Resistnace. lol I know this was the PS3's first exclusive FPS but I would hardly call this a flagship title. :confused: I sure hope they improve practicaly everthing for resistance2?

I think the PS3 will catch up on the 360 in sales, but they've got a hell of a long way to go yet.

Joe88
February 5th, 2008, 17:22
Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Wars, Too Human, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Fable 2, The Precursors, Theseis, Banjo 3, Lost Odyssey just some that i know that im considering getting for 360

and i do believe the ps3 will outsell the 360 but i doubt the ps3 hardware sales will.

most of which will come out on the PC and be better and lul halo
its will just be a generic RTS just like the FPS
company of hero's > halo wars

lost odyssey looks like a huge FF ripoff, and I mean everything in the game looks like FF including the gfx

fable and alan wake will be released on the PC and probably splinter cell also

also guess what people
I have a 360 but not a PS3 (actually this is the third 360, first = ROD...)
so dont quote and call me a fanboy
my GT is: x Joe88 x

Baboon
February 5th, 2008, 17:39
most of which will come out on the PC and be better

Its not like these games get released the same time though? It takes some time for them to be ported over. Also unless your mega rich then your not really going to be able to afford to keep up to date with playing games on a PC as high end games normally require the latest hardware to get the most out of them.

The only thing I really miss from PC gaming though is on FPS games when using a mouse and keyboard.

PS3 games mainly currently consist of crap ports from the 360, while 360 games are crap in comparison to the high end PC versions? ...I'll take the middle optiion now with the 360 thanks very much. :thumbup:

Eviltaco64
February 6th, 2008, 01:12
360 has better games.
PS3 has better...everything else.

Just as:
DS has better games.
PSP has better...everything else.

I have a friend who's had to send two 360's back to Texas (he got his first 360 around Christmas '06) because of Hardware failure.
Another friend bought a 360 in June and it died in August.

Suprisingly, I have the same 360 from...*Drum roll please

December 2006 because I dont use it that much.

Microsoft should give out this achievement to 360 owners all around the globe who havent had a hardware failure yet.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/MikeGarwood93/360.jpg

Baboon
February 6th, 2008, 09:14
Microsoft should give out this achievement to 360 owners all around the globe who havent had a hardware failure yet.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r256/MikeGarwood93/360.jpg

:rofl: