PDA

View Full Version : A Woman Not Bashing Video Games? Impossible!

Shrygue
February 4th, 2008, 18:52
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/352313/a-woman-not-bashing-video-games-impossible)

After a week of women name-calling guys who play games Man-teens and Child Men, Amanda Marcotte has proposed a radical idea: A woman can play video games, and can even spend that time with the man in her life. Marcotte's article responds to a piece written by Kathryn Jean Lopez, Arrested Development, on how Jason Bateman's character in Juno is nothing more than your typical immature husband, opting out of adulthood for an idealized adolescent lifestyle. Marcotte isn't having any of it. She sounds as tired of this whole "manboy" thing as the rest of us, and is stepping up to the table to say what all these angry women seem to be missing:

Women play video games. Our vaginas, surprisingly, do not stop us from using a controller.
The Xbox is not a widow maker. No matter how many TV specials say otherwise, men can be happy, productive individuals - both as part of a couple and a part of society - while still playing video games.
Movies are not the ideal place to be developing deep psychoanalytical theories about men.

Finally, a woman who isn't cursing all things video game related.

Mister Klownes
February 4th, 2008, 20:22
Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy to hear about a woman playing video games, doesn't it?

Oh wait, no, that's not what makes you feel good. The warm and fuzzy part is to hear that at least one person in the media isn't wholly retarded.

We can only hope her voice is heard...

wolfpack
February 4th, 2008, 21:20
about time.

a woman actually understanding the bond between guys and video games.

this makes me happy........

mike_jmg
February 4th, 2008, 21:37
me too

Nice

ExcruciationX
February 4th, 2008, 22:32
My Mom's like that too, she doesn't see anything bad about them.

JKKDARK
February 4th, 2008, 22:46
My Mom's like that too, she doesn't see anything bad about them.
But your mom said you can't buy Grand Theft Auto :rolleyes:

Sp3ct0r
February 4th, 2008, 23:08
lol i know alot of girls that like games. Prolly cuz most of them are the anime-freak types who play stuff like kingdom hearts.

idapimp
February 5th, 2008, 07:12
damn. i love this chick.

bah
February 5th, 2008, 08:47
Not a rare thing at all. Many women, even attractive ones, like games; especially less 'hardcore' games like old school sonic etc.

It's just that they like to do other things too you know......
My ms likes to play games sometimes, she couldn't care less about the technical side like hardware specs/emulators etc though.

Mr_Squirt
February 5th, 2008, 11:44
marry me....

Kloe
February 5th, 2008, 13:21
There are other things on a computer that take up more time and effort than video games. My wife is obsessed with writing fan fiction. She is on her laptop 24/7 writing this stuff. It takes up more of her time than any video game ever did with me. And no it doesn't net her anything worthwhile, she isn't going to be publishing any books or anything. It's actually kind of annoying. I play video games maybe 1-2 hours about 4-5 days a week and she writes fan fiction about 6-7 hours a day... how does that make me a loser? lol

ZH_Darkstar
February 5th, 2008, 17:32
I bought my gf a Pink DS phat and M3 a couple years ago to bring back the gaming interests she used to have. It really helped bring us closer as we had something that we could do together and were both interested in.

It was a long distance relationship at first so a lot of nights would be spent on the phone while playing mario kart or drawing penises at each other in Clubhouse Games.

The era of video games has gone from an underground nerd herd to a mainstream part of our lives. And the best part is that it's here to stay. People of all ages and backgrounds play some form of video gaming. It's a part of the human culture.

With that in mind, could you imagine what archaeologists hundreds of years from now would think if they unearthed an NES controller or Atari paddle? Heaven forbid they find the monstrosity that was the jaguar controller...

Hypershell
February 5th, 2008, 20:39
"Movies are not the ideal place to be developing deep psychoanalytical theories about men."

This is BRILLIANT!!!

My fiance and I play video games together, mostly Sonic and Mario Kart. She's far from hardcore, but into it enough that I got her her own DS, and she actually enjoyed it, buys herself a game every now and then, but not often. And a lot of times I have to help her through the trickier parts of platformers like Yoshi's Island.

Yeah, contrary to popular belief, there are women who like games. More than that, there are men who enjoy gaming as a social activity, rather than this imaginary psychological bubble that others seem to think it is. I can't tell you how much I enjoy a good cooperative title.

Dull Blade
February 5th, 2008, 20:56
I'll beleive this when I see it, no woman I've ever met had anything good to say about video games. Infact when I'm around them, I make not mention of said topic and avoid it like the plague. My bet is this woman a fictional character developed by the combined efforts Ms, $ony, Nintendo, and <insert video game company here> to fool men into thinking women dont care about it, to boost sales.

Eyedunno
February 6th, 2008, 10:36
Haha, I read the "Child-Man" piece on another (non-gaming) forum a few days ago.

bah
February 6th, 2008, 11:17
Dull blade: You're joking, right?

ExcruciationX
February 8th, 2008, 18:24
But your mom said you can't buy Grand Theft Auto :rolleyes:
Because she saw the gore and stuff while playing it a friend's house. Becides, Grand Theft Auto is more real then Halo. That's why.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 18:45
Because she saw the gore and stuff while playing it a friend's house. Becides, Grand Theft Auto is more real then Halo. That's why.

I see. Oh well don't worry, you'll play Grand Theft Auto someday ;)