PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Devil will make you CRY with 20 min install time

Shrygue
February 4th, 2008, 18:58
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181383)

Devil May Cry 4 is coming to 360 and PS3 this Friday. That's good news mainly for the reason that it's an awesome game. You can look forward to the review later this week, or read this if you can't wait any longer. But there's a little issue of a MASSIVE installation process that forces all PS3 gamers to wait just under 22 mins before they can tuck in to Dante's finest.

You'd think there'd be a benefit after being forced to install nearly 5GB of game data, like shorter or even no loading times during the entire game. Funny thing is though, it doesn't make much difference to load times compared to the 360 version, that you can play straight away.

We clocked the entire install process at 21 minutes, 41 seconds.

Following that the opening load time on PS3 was five seconds against eight on 360. And then three seconds versus four, and four versus five seconds in following load screens, PS3 - 360. As you can see there's not much in it.

So over the course of an eight-to-ten hour game you might get your 21 minutes back over 360 players with ever-so-slightly shorter loading times. But really?

Time to put the stopwatch away and get back to playing the game. Check out in-game footage here.

While we're 'on topic', it's also being reported that (in Japan) the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 is outselling the 360 game 5-1. But that's because there are only six people with 360s in the country. It'll be much closer over here, if not the other way around.

Elven6
February 4th, 2008, 20:02
Im guessing the 360 version loads the info to the hard drive, I think its calle Disk Caching.

Xiofire
February 4th, 2008, 21:24
I will go through the install time just so i can use the SIXAXIS/Dual Shock 3. Its made for DMC, the Xbox 360 pad just felt unnatural, bulky, and unfluid. But personal preference i guess.
-Xiofire

Napalm-Death
February 4th, 2008, 22:51
I'm tired of people bitching about the installation time. There's so many things that you could do while it's installing, and it's not in vain either. You get faster loading times than the 360 does.

Anonymous D
February 4th, 2008, 23:23
if its only a one time installation it doesnt seem that much to ask rly, unless your short of hd space.

Baboon
February 5th, 2008, 13:31
I'm tired of people bitching about the installation time. There's so many things that you could do while it's installing, and it's not in vain either. You get faster loading times than the 360 does.

Well the journalist said it doesn't make any significant difference compared to the Xbox 360 version which doesn't require installation. ...The PS oading times are going back to the Spectrum days!. lol

Another great P$3 exclusive. LMAO!

Shrygue
February 5th, 2008, 14:23
Does the 20 installing time really matter? I bet it's a one-off thing. Instead of just sitting in front of your TV/computer screen doing nothing and it watching the process, find something else better to do to - like go out for a short walk or something constructive like that. 20 minutes isn't going to kill you.

Besides that, I'm looking forward to getting this good game when it comes out this week.

Baboon
February 5th, 2008, 14:37
Does the 20 installing time really matter? I bet it's a one-off thing. Instead of just sitting in front of your TV/computer screen doing nothing and it watching the process, find something else better to do to - like go out for a short walk or something constructive like that. 20 minutes isn't going to kill you.

Besides that, I'm looking forward to getting this good game when it comes out this week.

If I wanted to exercise while playing a console I'd play on my wii. :rofl:

Back on topic though this does look like a quite good game. Its apparently the same game engine as in Dead Risiing, but with more fancy graphics. I've played the demo and I'd possibly consider getting this in the future (its not on my essential list though). :D

JKKDARK
February 5th, 2008, 16:00
wow that's a lot of time. Definately people will prefer the 360 version.

Sonicboy 101
February 5th, 2008, 16:14

You're too naive for your own good.

DPyro
February 5th, 2008, 16:19
Wow 20 minutes, what shall I do?

1UP: With the PS3 version, it's mandatory to install it to your harddrive, yet on the Xbox 360 it is not. Why is that? Why wouldn't you just let PS3 owners put it in their console and play off the disc, like how Xbox 360 owners can play, or at least make it an option? On the reverse side, why not offer an install if Xbox 360 owners had enough room on their HD? The load times on 360 are very short in any case, so was any of this really necessary?

HK: Actually, we wanted to do the same thing for the Xbox 360 version, but because there are models of the 360 that are sold without a hard drive, we received a no-go from Microsoft.

Big whoop, they wanted to do it with 360 but of course Microsoft wouldn't let them. The install is a one time thing, so it's not that big a deal. Hell, Half Life 2 took me 1 hour to try and get working and download updates etc on my PC.

Baboon
February 5th, 2008, 16:25
Hell, Half Life 2 took me 1 hour to try and get working and download updates etc on my PC.

When I first got HL2 it took me fookin ages mucking about with Steam to get it all working. lol

acn010
February 5th, 2008, 16:40
thats nothing...20 mins i can start cooking or make popcorn or any snacks ill buy from the store before i stay and play with my tummy empty.

Triv1um
February 5th, 2008, 16:44

GTFO.

Napalm-Death
February 5th, 2008, 21:33

Don't you know how to shut the **** up?

Eviltaco64
February 5th, 2008, 23:40
Wow, I have an idea!
While its installing, you could maybe, turn the channel and watch TV for 20 minutes? :p

Eviltaco64
February 10th, 2008, 07:47
Id wait 20 minutes for enhanced graphics and faster loading times in comparison to the 360 version myself...

Malksta
February 10th, 2008, 16:10
Finished DMC4 today =)

the 20 min install time didn't make me cry, neither did it bother me, just surf the net to pass time, honestly it didnt seem like 20 minutes.

Napalm-Death
February 10th, 2008, 17:54
I finished it on Friday, I was happy with the installation, it's really worth it.

Triv1um
February 10th, 2008, 18:42
Havent got this game yet.

Getting UTIII Instead. Ive been told DMC3 sucked.

Still, when you play resistance/warhawk online then you have to wait like 20/30 mins before you can play ;)

Shadowblind
February 10th, 2008, 19:10
I don't know about you, but im loving this game. Only played it on my friends 360 yet, but it feels pretty amazing, graphics and controls are great.

Why on earth do you install a game to a console? Seems stupid and unnecessary, at least so far.

DPyro
February 10th, 2008, 19:36
Why else would they have hard drives? Consoles are going more towards PC gaming, although the huge difference for me is that I don't have to worry if the game will run or not on my console.

Accordion
February 10th, 2008, 20:35
I don't know about you, but im loving this game. Only played it on my friends 360 yet, but it feels pretty amazing, graphics and controls are great.

Why on earth do you install a game to a console? Seems stupid and unnecessary, at least so far.

it is good enough for PCs. If it makes the game run better [it does] then what is the problem. Though i do believe streaming is the way forward loading times should be non-existant, look at Drakes Fortune one very short load when you start up the game and then nothing ever again.

Malksta
February 10th, 2008, 23:31
Havent got this game yet.

Getting UTIII Instead. Ive been told DMC3 sucked.

Still, when you play resistance/warhawk online then you have to wait like 20/30 mins before you can play ;)

Reviews (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/920607.asp) say diffrently.

Napalm-Death
February 11th, 2008, 00:35
Triv1um: You might be thinking about DMC2...

Triv1um
February 11th, 2008, 00:39
Triv1um: You might be thinking about DMC2...

Well i have actually been told that DMC2 and 3 are really simular.

Like you have to go back half way through the game?

Im not a DMC player so i dont know if this is true.

Napalm-Death
February 11th, 2008, 01:28
There's backtracking in all of the DMC games but it's not as much of a problem as reviewers make it sound. DMC2 was trash, but DMC3 took the few good things that DMC2 had and just made them better.

Eviltaco64
February 11th, 2008, 01:32
Sadly, I can only say I've played Devil May Cry 1.

I should go download the DMC4 360 Demo

Napalm-Death
February 11th, 2008, 01:58
Go go go!

Shadowblind
February 11th, 2008, 03:34
Go go go!

Aye! The demo is the first thing I played of DMC, and now I'm a fan. I think you'll be pretty amazed with it. :)

Napalm-Death
February 11th, 2008, 05:07
I never played the demo as I didn't have my PS2 back then, but when I did buy DMC1 a year after I got my PS2. Now I'm a hardcore fan. :)

bah
February 11th, 2008, 07:41
IMO, games consoles (should) have HDDs for game data caching/swap space and save games like the original XBOX. Its all completely transparent to the user, uses 3 hidden partitions on the drive that get overwritten if new games are played, and I cant recall playing any game where I noticed it much if at all. Getting new games didn't mean taking up more and more space on it.

To me, consoles should be quick and easy to use. They should 'just work'. I strongly dislike the way companies are using the availability of HDDs and network connections to force system software updates, require installation of titles or patch bugs in games after they are released. Pay for testers, don't let the consumer have the displeasure of finding bugs in something they paid for themselves.

I love PC gaming, and I accept all its negatives (cost, install time, frequent upgrades, driver issues etc) without complaint because of the freedom and openness of the system compared to a console. I don't want consoles adopting the bad without providing the good just because it benefits the company (but not really myself).