PDA

View Full Version : Sony: Want 120GB PS3? Do it yourself...

Shrygue
February 4th, 2008, 19:00
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181408)

Chatter of a 120GB PS3 rippled across the internet, with multiple sources claiming a 120GB console is imminent shortly. Sony won't confirm either way, but simply reminds us that if we really want a bigger hard drive we can upgrade it ourselves.

When asked about the rumours, SCE Australia boss Michael Ephraim admitted he wouldn't reveal such plans, even if he knew of any, before adding: "The hard drive issue, we've done it so you can upgrade the hard drive.

"It's non-proprietary, and you do have external hard drives," he says, before suggesting that retailers could themselves stock PS3s with pre-fitted larger hard drives.

"With PlayTV, yes you will need more storage," he goes on to admit, "and retailers will probably accommodate those needs for consumers.

"As we all know, the price of hard drive space is coming down. If we do it, fine, but if we don't do it, the consumer will still have choice," he told The Age

You can get 500GB external hard drives for around £80 these days. Bargain.

Mister Klownes
February 4th, 2008, 20:42
You gotta love Sony. Proprietary to the bitter end with UMD, but encouraging working on your own PS3 hardware.

God I love these guys...

Xiofire
February 4th, 2008, 21:25
I was wondering what the best budget HDD is for the PS3? My 60 GB is almost full. Any suggestions?
-Xiofire

Anonymous D
February 4th, 2008, 23:26
thing is though an external hard drive cant hold psn games or demos as far as i know, so for media theyd work fine but if games are cluttering up your drive you havent got much choice other than a new internal. though even that isnt so hard to do ( suposedly) though very few people seem to upgrade them.

on a side note i got a 500gb external for 60 quid recently, good quality as well.