PDA

View Full Version : Is the Game Boy the Toughest Product Ever Made?

wraggster
February 6th, 2008, 01:20
CNET is running an article about tough technology, which aptly includes the Nintendo Game Boy, a device so tough that mine still works after many years. 'There's no two ways about it: the original Game Boy is one of the hardest gadgets ever conceived. Rumor has it this beige behemoth isn't made of plastic, but from the skulls of fallen Gurkhas. If you ever saw one that was broken, it's because it lost a boxing match with a nuclear bomb — on points.' So do you agree that the Game Boy is the toughest consumer electronics device ever made?

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/05/185255

onetwentyeight
February 6th, 2008, 13:20
i recall egm doing a feature like this when the gba was released after reminiscing about gameboys being recovered from the snow and rain and still working after drying out properly (not turning them on while wet). i believe they decided to give their gba "the flush test" and it passed and proved a worthy successor to the gb. but who'd want to game on a device that had been in the toilet?

JKKDARK
February 6th, 2008, 15:20
Yeah I think the article is right.

Jeric
February 6th, 2008, 15:52
I'd agree, if only on the fact that I've actually left a gameboy out in the snow and mud, cleaned it off, let dry out, and watched in amazement as it booted up.

To date my ds has survived a horse stepping on it(it was in mud), being dropped repeatedly(had to fix the L button but a little prying and poking wokred there), and the dog getting hold of the thing.

Exophase
February 6th, 2008, 22:01
I had screens go bad on several gameboys though. Scanlines being dropped entirely (and sometimes vertical lines too, strangely enough).

gumgod
February 6th, 2008, 23:50
I had two gameboys, I gave the beige one to my little sister. Last I saw it, it'd been through a lot but still in one piece. My clear one on the other hand (that I kept) had the cover for the screen come off. A little glue and it was back to normal. But for what they've both been through I'd say you're right. :thumbup:

kcajblue
February 7th, 2008, 03:43
my brother has had one for a very long time.
and it still works.
i even use it still, sometimes.

____anders____
February 8th, 2008, 17:30
i only have gbc, but it still works perfect.
you know the yellow pokemon bundle..