PDA

View Full Version : PSP Sets Fire To Schoolboy's Pants

Shrygue
February 6th, 2008, 19:04
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/353314/psp-sets-fire-to-schoolboys-pants)

At the Warner Middle School in Farmington Hills Michigan this morning a fire broke out in a young boy's pants. According to police, the PSP in the student's pocket overheated and exploded, burning a hole in his pocket and causing minor burns on his legs.

A teacher at the school managed to separate the boy from his gaming system, after which a lockdown was instituted at the school to facilitate emergency personnel reaching the injured young man, whose burns were treated on school grounds before being transported to a local hospital. Police are currently investigating the cause of the PSP's malfunction.

In the meantime, you might want to consider moving that puppy from your pocket to a backpack - preferably lined with asbestos, which is easily found at many schools across the country. I've had video games get my pants hot before, but somehow this just seems a whole lot less pleasant.

Sonicboy 101
February 6th, 2008, 19:05
PSP is the new lighter :P

Triv1um
February 6th, 2008, 19:17
Interesting, mine has never really got that warm, even with 333mhz.

Shrygue
February 6th, 2008, 19:17
My guess is that the battery must have blown up with high heat levels but I'm not totally sure on the draw...

ojdon
February 6th, 2008, 19:29
I remember an article on this every site about some of the Third party batteries that were actually pretty dangerous, they could melt the psp, etc. That is my guess on why it happened because he could of brought a third party battery for the PSP.

NOCHUCK
February 6th, 2008, 19:42
Do I smell a lawsuit?? Wait no thats just a PSP melting in my pants.

tgm123
February 6th, 2008, 19:45
pmsl at the comment at the end of the news post lol

Illegal Machine
February 6th, 2008, 20:00
Some fat lady got millions of dollars form McDonalds because her COFFEE was too hot, and burned her legs.

THAT was something that was supposed to be hot and placed intentionally in between the legs..

THIS is a whole new ball of wax, especially since it was a small child... I hope his parents are smart enough to sue the living **** out of $ony, and win

Mister Klownes
February 6th, 2008, 20:19
I've been carrying a PSP in my left cargo pocket almost every day for the last 18 months, end i've never even felt the thing get warm. Something particularly odd had to be going on with this PSP...probably a wonky third party battery as was suggested.

Nikolaos
February 6th, 2008, 21:27
It has to be a third-party battery, that or he goes to school in the desert, sometimes my PSP is running at 333 speed with AC adapter plugged in, while it fell under a nice warm blanket, it got pretty hot, for hours at a time, but my bed wasn't in flames now was it?

rishard10212
February 6th, 2008, 21:40
It has to be a third-party battery, that or he goes to school in the desert, sometimes my PSP is running at 333 speed with AC adapter plugged in, while it fell under a nice warm blanket, it got pretty hot, for hours at a time, but my bed wasn't in flames now was it?

michigan

Buddy4point0
February 6th, 2008, 21:52
third party battery maybe?

Nikolaos
February 6th, 2008, 21:57
michigan

he is from Detroit City, I live in Windsor, 20 mins away, I can literally see Detroit across the river. I go there often, its not hot here! especially not now.

Art
February 6th, 2008, 22:10
PSPs are getting ppl into trouble left, right, and centre lately.
Does sound like a diodgy battery to me, and Sony did warn against using them.

psp411
February 6th, 2008, 22:23
ive carried ma psp in ma pocket ever since ive had it... and its never gotten to the point where it was too hot or even to warm to be concerned about. once, it was on for 2 hrs in ma pocket because i forgot to make sure it was off... what happened to this kid wont stop me from puttin mine in ma pocket... its more safe ther :D :cool:

cal360
February 6th, 2008, 22:27
It's lucky he wasn't playing with it. I'm worried about this as my battery is a third party one I bought off eBay years ago. I really don't want mine blowing off my fingers :D.

robocelot
February 7th, 2008, 00:29
It might not have been a 3rd party battery. Short out *any* Li-ion battery and you will get a hot cup of nastiness.

I've heard of people having holes blown in their legs from putting Li coin cell batterys (like a CR-2032) in their pockets along with loose change. One short and BOOM!

bah
February 7th, 2008, 04:38
Probably a 3rd part battery back (as others have said), quite likely a Lithium polymer cell. I guess most batteries get pretty angry when you short them.

From model plane experience I can say they have a habit of blowing up like a balloon, popping, then (sometimes) burning if you try to push/draw too much current through them. A short would certainly do it.

jeegee
February 7th, 2008, 11:18
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/353314/psp-sets-fire-to-schoolboys-pants)

At the Warner Middle School in Farmington Hills Michigan this morning a fire broke out in a young boy's pants. According to police, the PSP in the student's pocket overheated and exploded, burning a hole in his pocket and causing minor burns on his legs.

:rofl:

think i'll take a diff view

Yeah right. This is definately what happened! My arse! what caused the short? static? hmmmm sounds like crap to me

:p:p:p:p:p

prob had a zippo in his pocket and dint wanna get caught out on his sneaky smoking habits

kam30en
February 7th, 2008, 11:49
I've just taken the third party battery out of my psp. Only official psp batteries go in it now.

Also, it WAS the battery. Nothing else in a psp could explode, because in order for something to explode or catch fire, there has to be an energy source. Unless he had that new Trinitrotoluene game they're selling, or perhaps his classroom was located at the center of the earth. :)

Art
February 7th, 2008, 13:57
think i'll take a diff view

Yeah right. This is definately what happened! My arse! what caused the short? static? hmmmm sounds like crap to me
It can short internally.
Squeeze a charged AA rechargeable battery with a pair of pliers and you won't be able to hold it for too long.

Or then again... don't.

PLZKLLME0080
February 7th, 2008, 14:09
What the hell was he doing to make it overheat in his pants? Usually when its in your pocket it is turned off...

darkness angel 777
February 7th, 2008, 14:13
it said in the instruction manual not to expose it to high levels of heat.It was probably a hot day and the psp was still on the battery will blow up if you expose to heat.

Mr.Denny
February 7th, 2008, 15:51
Sounds like something from the game "Bully" :/

acn010
February 7th, 2008, 16:30
nah.. its probably a short circuit that caused the inflation then explosion of the battery...
it happened to me before but did not explode...
i realized what was the cause... well i found 2 causes:
1.- radiation from phone or source...
2.- static electricity.

MZeroEW2
February 7th, 2008, 20:35
I gotta admit it's kinda funny, anyways the sony psp battery has a short protection built in. kinda leads me to think it was a third party one.

newb_fo_life
February 7th, 2008, 22:52
hmmm... i had a radio once and all the acid came out of the batterys i loled then threw em away