PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions/Views on rap music

kash
August 8th, 2005, 20:42
So I've seen lately that rap gets a lot of hate from people due to the lyrical content and simplicity of the music. I hear the usual story rap is no talent bs blah blah blah all they do is talk about girls and car. But this is not the case at all, true rap artists are probably the most creative people of our time and imo it takes the most talent lyrically out of any genre...and before you go say rap is repetitive content, look at these lyrics:

1993, shortly before Thanksgiving
I got the call, she said Jamal Derek is no longer living
Softly she spoke, is this a joke? Man you gotta be kidding
As my question was raised this explanation was given
A meaningless death made me question the meaning of life
Does my body remain at rest like when I'm sleeping at night?
Will I burn in eternal hell or will I find paradise?
Be rejected or ressurected like the body of Christ?
Is it like purgatory, the story described by the Catholics?
Or Nirvana that Buddhists honor in both theory and practice?
Like I study in my college philosophy classes
Or do my molecules and atoms travel back to the gases?
I mean, what I like to know, is where my spirit goes?
After the curtains close, on my final show
Is there a pain it brings? Enjoy my favorite things?
Visit ancient kings? Hear the angels sing?
Who'll answer these said the great MCs
My man Gribbles battling a debilitating disease
He said you see a brother like me is willing to fight
And everytime I question death my only answer is life
-Last Emperor, "One Life"

if anyone would like i could hook you up with some real good rap

BlackxKnight
August 8th, 2005, 21:53
Rap is lyrical talent
singing is vocal range and pitch and all that bologna.
basicly the opposites when it comes to vocal music.

theres a few exceptions to that rule like 2pac where he was more about emotion than lyrical dificulty....you really feel what hes saying and few people can get you to do that thru a couple of speakers.

sure anybody can do cat in the hat rymes but if you listen to "real" rappers like Eminem and Nas (theres tons) and examine the flow of the rap, how the raps ryme, one of the examples i can think of is Birthday and First Place. 2 words that dont work when you pronouce them normally but work perfectly when you modifiy how you say them a little bit....the beat is also a big factor if its too complex it becomes too much to listen too and if its too bland you get bored (you find this will alot of good underground rappers with bad production)

rap is like anything you need lots of practice to be good but some people have a natural ability for it. IMHO rap is much harder than singing, as alot of people sing ok but if you shove a mic in sombodys face and tell them to rap its a differnt story because you got guidelines rather than just making it sound alright.....but hey im no singer im a rapper....

shadowprophet
August 8th, 2005, 23:00
I view music like most people would view art.
If its good its good. I dont calssify it as good or bad because of what genre it would be. If its sounds good its good music to me.

WHurricane16
August 9th, 2005, 08:54
Hmmm...let me weigh the pros and cons. Rap sucks. Oh, I'm sorry...I think it's called hip hop now or whatever. Whatever happened to R&B?

Rap was so fresh and pure in the 80s. Now it's the reflection of the ****ed up American culture. Yay.

kash
August 9th, 2005, 09:52
Hmmm...let me weigh the pros and cons. Rap sucks. Oh, I'm sorry...I think it's called hip hop now or whatever. Whatever happened to R&B?

Rap was so fresh and pure in the 80s. Now it's the reflection of the ****ed up American culture. Yay.

Hip Hop is the culture that consists of Djing, Emceeing, Graffiti, and Bboying. R&B is a completely other genre that has no association with rap...And I guess that verse I posted wasn't "pure" enough? And for your last statement that can be said about any popular music genre: Punk, Metal, Pop, etc. Even what we see daily on television

"Then I rose, wiping the blunts ash from my clothes
then froze only to blow the herb smoke through my nose"

ptr.exe
August 9th, 2005, 10:21
true rap artists are probably the most creative people of our time and imo it takes the most talent lyrically out of any genre
That's an insult to every other artist/performer, rap artists are the least creative people of our time. Constantly they write lyrics about the same subjects, it never changes, those lyrics you quoted there are about gear, because that's never been rapped about before has it?

Those lyrics from your original post, about mortality, because that hasnt been covered has it? the entire genre is obsessed with death, ODing and shooting each other. That's just another example of a tired cliche in rap music. If they talked about anything other than how they're from the ghetto and life was hard, and women, and cars, and killing, and dead friends, then perhaps it would be justified to call it music, but they don't, so its not. It's all fake, PR execs must love rap, its so god damn easy to make impressionable youth precieve the 'artists' as good, they drink/kill/abuse narcotics, and all the fans love them for it.

I don't see how you can argue that its creative to cover the same topics again and again and again. That said all i find myself listening to now is Roots Manuva.

krowstrife
August 9th, 2005, 11:32
rap can be a great way to express emotion and life but for every tupac and public enemy there is 14 emiem's and 50 cent's and lil john's

I don't see how you can argue that its creative to cover the same topics again and again and again. That said all i find myself listening to now is Roots Manuva.

I don't believe you make a valid point for all forms of pop music do this, love songs.
and country is all bout tragedy and crap and rock from the 80's is all sex and drugs, you are stereotyping, not all rap is about being from the hood, jus like all metal is not about worshipping Satan

all forms of music repeats itself i think country more so than rap, and the only form of rap discussed so far is gangsta rap, many forms of rap exist just they are not as mainstream as gangsta rap

all music sucks when it becomes more commercial than art look at rock,punk,rap

the only problem is the good artist become famous than they become commercial as a part of the worship of the "all mighty Dollar" thats why MTV and commercial music suck i tend to listen to music that isn't completing pop or what some people call underground, but if the artist is good and time is right they become mainstream, and then commercail

F*U*C*K MTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timofonic
August 9th, 2005, 12:21
The only music of this kind that I like is the one from Jet Set Radio, hip hop or rap? People call music from Jet Set Radio hip hop. Any more original music? JST music seems the only one...

It a lot more melodic, I consider equally important the melodies and the lyrics, it can be a very good song without lyric (see videogame music) but not without melody, most hip hop/rap sucks because talking about the same stuff and most of their music using same rythm/melody (a few of them used all time). Personally I hate music like 50cent, dj nelly, eminem and all that bullshit I don't like to remember again, I like trying to have my mind without several mental damages.

shadowprophet
August 9th, 2005, 12:47
Just for the record , I would like to add D12 and eminem Are freaken Gods.
Have you heard some of there new stuff:confused:
Yeah I can say without a doubt that it completely rocks! or raps, whichever the case in point may be :p

timofonic
August 9th, 2005, 13:11
WTF? Eminem and D12 sucks...

shadowprophet
August 9th, 2005, 14:40
And I suppose all those classic hits from jet set radio.
Is a good refrence to compare your baised opinion upon lol rotf

ptr.exe
August 9th, 2005, 14:55
Knowstrife, i see your point. I suppose that all genre's have 'typical' topics that often get covered. I think rap isnt creative as artists always seem to cover these topics in the same way. Also i hate the way that rap glorifies (sp?) guns and violence, do they not realise how much damage that's doing to people? how many people actually believe those lyrics? I respect rappers like tupac, and public enemy are good, they bought about change, they did something differant. But the majority of rappers who make it big are mongs like eminem, xzibit, 50 cent, who bring nothing new to an already old formula.

You say that all genres have this problem, look at rock and roll, from the pop influenced kinks, to the blues influenced Rolling Stones, to the mellow Strokes. The genre varies alot, it is easy to see an influence by another genre in rock, as it is easy to see an advancement in style. I do not see this with rap.

Shadowprophet, i just lost all respect for you. Eminem? WTF!!???

Eric
August 9th, 2005, 17:04
Okay i do believe shadowprophet when he is saying music is music. But to me there is no music god and right now basically everything sounds the same except they are bringing the 70's and 80's back. With rap i can totally understand why they are getting beated on for the tough lyrics,violence,violence on women, making women like play toys etc may i go on. Anyways rock does have its fair share aswell but Rap or hip hop like Whurricane pointed out the name change in the genre has the most music videos on tv and radio with violence.

When these videos and songs are released on tv and radio i believe its the artist or label that says this song is going to be a hit lets release it and its hip hop thats showing it off more. Rock artists seem to be more smart by releasing what they think is right to be shown on tv and they seem to know what is popular demand in music right now for children and that being rock. When i was in school it was all about hip hop not for me cause of the views of the music.

I do agree with people like Tupac making music more about peace though he did have lots on violence and gangs aswell. So now i do listen to basically everything but i listen to things that make sense and what i believe would actually make it in the industry and hip hop just doesnt seem to have the popularity like it did back in the 90's and 80's.

Eric

DCDayDreamer
August 9th, 2005, 17:53
Rap is all about using words as opposed to music to deliver a form of a cultural message, sadly, the novelty burnt out long ago and it's sad to see so many ripped backing tunes trying to keep it going....

Add a 'C' to the beginning of the genre title and you should get the overall result of creativity from the whole thing.

shadowprophet
August 9th, 2005, 20:53
Knowstrife, i see your point. I suppose that all genre's have 'typical' topics that often get covered. I think rap isnt creative as artists always seem to cover these topics in the same way. Also i hate the way that rap glorifies (sp?) guns and violence, do they not realise how much damage that's doing to people? how many people actually believe those lyrics? I respect rappers like tupac, and public enemy are good, they bought about change, they did something differant. But the majority of rappers who make it big are mongs like eminem, xzibit, 50 cent, who bring nothing new to an already old formula.

You say that all genres have this problem, look at rock and roll, from the pop influenced kinks, to the blues influenced Rolling Stones, to the mellow Strokes. The genre varies alot, it is easy to see an influence by another genre in rock, as it is easy to see an advancement in style. I do not see this with rap.

Shadowprophet, i just lost all respect for you. Eminem? WTF!!???

Its his brand of magic with words. Its just hes able to pull some things off with words that normal people just cant do, I mean ya gotta respect his skill.
Its not what he raps about either. Its just how he does it. Its amazing..

kash
August 10th, 2005, 00:24
That's an insult to every other artist/performer, rap artists are the least creative people of our time. Constantly they write lyrics about the same subjects, it never changes, those lyrics you quoted there are about gear, because that's never been rapped about before has it?

Those lyrics from your original post, about mortality, because that hasnt been covered has it? the entire genre is obsessed with death, ODing and shooting each other. That's just another example of a tired cliche in rap music. If they talked about anything other than how they're from the ghetto and life was hard, and women, and cars, and killing, and dead friends, then perhaps it would be justified to call it music, but they don't, so its not. It's all fake, PR execs must love rap, its so god damn easy to make impressionable youth precieve the 'artists' as good, they drink/kill/abuse narcotics, and all the fans love them for it.

That just a generalization you're making. I could say metal is all about satan and cutting yourself. Obviously it's not, but many close minded people think along those lines. And for you to say they are the least creative people of our time is dead wrong. Their ability to manipulate words is amazing. And the metaphors they use are well done. For example, there is a rapper called Common and he has a song called "I Used to Love H.E.R." the whole song is a metaphor. It's a women taking the place of hip hop and he's rapping about how pure it was and how innocent this women was before she got corrupted etc. Peep these lyrics:

Verse One:

I met this girl, when I was ten years old
And what I loved most she had so much soul
She was old school, when I was just a shorty
Never knew throughout my life she would be there for me
ont he regular, not a church girl she was secular
Not about the money, no studs was mic checkin her
But I respected her, she hit me in the heart
A few New York niggaz, had did her in the park
But she was there for me, and I was there for her
Pull out a chair for her, turn on the air for her
and just cool out, cool out and listen to her
Sittin on a bone, wishin that I could do her
Eventually if it was meant to be, then it would be
because we related, physically and mentally
And she was fun then, I'd be geeked when she'd come around
Slim was fresh yo, when she was underground
Original, pure untampered and down sister
Boy I tell ya, I miss her

Verse Two:

Now periodically I would see
ol girl at the clubs, and at the house parties
She didn't have a body but she started gettin thick quick
DId a couple of videos and became afrocentric
Out goes the weave, in goes the braids beads medallions
She was on that tip about, stoppin the violence
About my people she was teachin me
By not preachin to me but speakin to me
in a method that was leisurely, so easily I approached
She dug my rap, that's how we got close
But then she broke to the West coast, and that was cool
Cause around the same time, I went away to school
And I'm a man of expandin, so why should I stand in her way
She probably get her money in L.A.
And she did stud, she got big pub but what was foul
She said that the pro-black, was goin out of style
She said, afrocentricity, was of the past
So she got into R&B hip-house bass and jazz
Now black music is black music and it's all good
I wasn't salty, she was with the boys in the hood
Cause that was good for her, she was becomin well rounded
I thought it was dope how she was on that freestyle shit
Just havin fun, not worried about anyone
And you could tell, by how her titties hung

Verse Three:

I might've failed to mention that this chick was creative
But once the man got you well he altered her native
Told her if she got an image and a gimmick
that she could make money, and she did it like a dummy
Now I see her in commercials, she's universal
She used to only swing it with the inner-city circle
Now she be in the burbs lickin rock and dressin hip
And on some dumb shit, when she comes to the city
Talkin about poppin glocks servin rocks and hittin switches
Now she's a gangsta rollin with gangsta bitches
Always smokin blunts and gettin drunk
Tellin me sad stories, now she only ****s with the funk
Stressin how hardcore and real she is
She was really the realest, before she got into showbiz
I did her, not just to say that I did it
But I'm committed, but so many niggaz hit it
That she's just not the same lettin all these groupies do her
I see niggaz slammin her, and takin her to the sewer
But I'ma take her back hopin that the shit stop
Cause who I'm talkin bout y'all is hip-hop

you people are just basing rap off commercial bs and weak generalizations. Thats like me saying Punk is a bunch of bs nonsense girly vocals about chicks just because of bands like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, & New Found Glory

kash
August 10th, 2005, 00:45
And that was a really stupid thing to say rap only glorifies guns, oding, and that kind of stuff. Certain artists do but that's not what rap is about. They talk about anything any other genre would, plus more.

More examples of exceptional lyricism:

"I rest my head on 115
But miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean
And death is the median
And pergatory is the mode that we settle in"

"But money don't grow on trees and ask thieving/ MC's who cut throats to rake leaves"

and these are things many people can relate to:

"We got, single moms that can't afford to feed children
World War 3 got planes flying into building's
Corrupt cops and robbers, thieves and politicians
They just keeping taking as the world keeps spinning
Just take a look around now
A long way from your MTV cribs with your full speaker surround sound
Get ready for countdown
Just to get some benefits, my girl lied to the people down town"

krowstrife
August 10th, 2005, 03:34
i had respect for Eminem somgs like "Stan" were deep, but withe songs like "ass like that" kinda puts a damper on what he has done

(i dont know if that is the title of the song but i assume you understand what i am saying)

DCDayDreamer
August 10th, 2005, 19:56
Eminem is purely a commercial product, record companies were desperate to get a white rapper to boost a failing genre, rip off someone else's music and throw some angry lyrics in there and you'll get attention. To guarantee record sales, throw a 'parental advisory' sticker on the cover of the CD and you'll boost any sales no matter what the CD content is.

There's nothing really exceptional about the lyrics in any rap track, if you could find some examples, you'd see that 90%+ of the rap subject matter was covered by the depression era blues and jug bands, the only difference is they did it much better back then.

kash
August 10th, 2005, 20:02
Eminem is purely a commercial product, record companies were desperate to get a white rapper to boost a failing genre, rip off someone else's music and throw some angry lyrics in there and you'll get attention. To guarantee record sales, throw a 'parental advisory' sticker on the cover of the CD and you'll boost any sales no matter what the CD content is.

There's nothing really exceptional about the lyrics in any rap track, if you could find some examples, you'd see that 90%+ of the rap subject matter was covered by the depression era blues and jug bands, the only difference is they did it much better back then.

You could say the same thing about any other musical genre and ok ill provide an example:

Knowin you the best part of life, do I have the right to take yours
Cause I created you, irresponsibly
Subconciously knowin the act I was a part of
The start of somethin, I'm not ready to bring into the world
Had myself believin I was sterile
I look into mother's stomach, wonder if you are a boy or a girl
Turnin this woman's womb into a tomb
But she and I agree, a seed we don't need
You would've been much more than a mouth to feed
But someone, I woulda fed this information I read
to someone, my life for you I woulda had to leave
Instead I lead you to death
I'm sorry for takin your first breath, first step, and first cry
But I wasn't prepared mentally nor financially
Havin a child shouldn't have to bring out the man in me
Plus I wanted you to be raised within a family
I don't wanna, go through the drama of havin a baby's momma
Weekend visits and buyin J's ain't gon' make me a father
For a while bearing a child is somethin I never wanted to do
For me to live forever I can only do that through you
Nerve I got to talk about them niggaz with a gun
Must have really thought I was God to take the life of my son
I could have sacrificed goin out
To think my homies who did it I used to joke about, from now on
I'ma use self control instead of birth control
Cause $315 ain't worth your soul
$315 ain't worth your soul
$315 ain't worth it

did those blues singers talk about abortion?

kash
August 10th, 2005, 20:06
sorry for the double post but here's another. this is more braggadico but impressive none the less:

I let the beat commence so I can beat the sense in your elite
defense
I got some meat to mince, a crew to stomp, and then two feet to rinse
I greet the gents and ladies, I spoil loyal fans
I foil plans and leave fluids leaking like oil bands
My coiled hands around this microphone are lethal
One thought in my cerebral is deeper then a Jeep full of people
MC's are feeble, I came to cause some pandemonium
Battle a band of phony MC's and stand a lonely one
Imitator, Intimidator, Stimulator, Simulator of data, Eliminator
There's never been a greater since the burial of Jesus
**** around and catch all the venereal diseases
My thesis will smash a stereo to pieces
My acappella releases classic masterpieces through telekinesis
That eases you mentally, gently, sentimentally, instrumentally
With entity, dementedly meant to be Infinite

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2005, 20:31
I understand why some people dont like him. but those same people are the same people who wernt fond of rap to begin with.

I do like some rap. Not all rap is good, I think emenim is a comercial product. And a gimmick, However Most things are nowadays anyway. I just still like his albums. I mean this may be the absolute worst thing I can say at this point in mine and kashes defence. But I like the monkees ,, lol yeah if your done laughing, you can continue to read this post now :p

Thats right I like the monkees:p if your done rolling in the floors:p please continue. There whole point was comercialisim from the start. They wernt even a band before there first show, They wernt really a band untill later on. But behind all the fakeness. I liked the music. And I think Thats all that really matters. I feel the same way about emenim. He may be as fake as milly vanilli, But his music still entertains me, Thats all it really comes down too I think:D

kash
August 10th, 2005, 20:50
and here's another superb verse that im sure the blues singers back then never talked about it:

Knowledge you find inside my mind is designed to kill fear
Did you know the bible was written in by William Shakespeare?
It was done in the King James version in his 46th year
The 46th psalm is coded from the top down to the rear
Wanted his name over his work to be seen and read clear
But at the time that was something King James wasn't tryna hear
Study the history of King James and you'll find out he was a queer
Might explain how Shakespeare didn't pay attention and listen clear
Go to the 46th psalm, what I'm saying is not fake
Start at the word God, count 46 words down - you will see shake
Then go to the bottom, you'll see the word refuge appear
Start right there, count 46 words up and you will see spear
Shakespeare, no coincidence, they don't teach this in classes
They tampered with the holy scriptures and then fed it to the masses
Confused by misenterpreted signs and allegories
Parables are painted out like fairy tales and wild stories
That brainwashed the world leaving theological masters
What was once the word of God is now a theatrical disaster
Words they gave us only serve to enslave us
Hurt us in murderous ways and got us out here hoping ghost worshipping save us
They don't want you black man, you think you know yourself don't you?
You got the last name, but that was the name of the slave-master that owned you
The same one that beat and hung you and put you through this anguish
We in America not knowing our real names or real language
Learn the location and description of Jesus if you've never seen him
If you don't know the lines it's impossible for you to read inbetween them
Now are we so gone that ain't no black pride and thats real sad
Eminem can diss black women and we don't even get mad... we surface dwellers

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2005, 20:53
rap is more than rhyming schemes you know... its more about the bitching and moaning and complaining of wealthy mansion dwelling angry people with large body gaurds who are oxymoronically from the street and had a tough life full of gun fights and crimes, while having to fend for themselves and do everything all alone... with their body gaurds.

They come up with odd slang words and affect todays culture of 12, 13, and 14 year olds who end up getting their asses kicked by more idiots who watch wrestling day in and day out.

so i shall add a new definition to the word "rap"

rap- a musical form of bitching.

in silly search through dictionary.com I found an ironic definition.

rap1 "rapping" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rp)
v. rapped, rap·ping, raps
v. tr.

1. To hit sharply and swiftly; strike: rapped the table with his fist.
*2. To utter sharply: rap out a complaint.*
*3. To criticize or blame.*

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2005, 21:02
rap is more than rhyming schemes you know... its more about the bitching and moaning and complaining of wealthy mansion dwelling angry people with large body gaurds who are oxymoronically from the street and had a tough life full of gun fights and crimes, while having to fend for themselves and do everything all alone... with their body gaurds.

They come up with odd slang words and affect todays culture of 12, 13, and 14 year olds who end up getting their asses kicked by more idiots who watch wrestling day in and day out.

v. tr.

Whoa ! you ARE still alive!:p Where have you been bro :confused:

kash
August 10th, 2005, 21:02

v. tr.

did you even read anything I posted? Your statement has already been disproven if you even bothered to read the verses...*shakes my head at such ignorance*

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2005, 21:15
did you even read anything I posted? Your statement has already been disproven if you even bothered to read the verses...*shakes my head at such ignorance*

Dont call me ignorant or I'll have my posse and my body gaurd pop a cap in your ass.

My dad is a *** and ive got to go clean out my closet.

I have been shot 9 times...

and I hate all white people.

now if you can make that ryhme, im certain some record company will sign you.

you cant disprove me with your opinion, and you dont want to piss me off.
Thats not to say that Punk, Metal, HipHop, etc are much better. Now if you want to know somthing that really pisses me off... its EMO. At least Rap bitches with a nice beat... Emo just sucks.

Whoa ! you ARE still alive!:p Where have you been bro :confused:

ive been around... im just trying to stay out of trouble XD

shadowprophet
August 10th, 2005, 21:20
I call 420 Before this gets out of hand

1timruser kash gather round take a hit and pass it to the left:D

Remember when in doubt pass it to me :p

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2005, 21:23
I call 420 Before this gets out of hand

1timruser kash gather round take a hit and pass it to the left:D

Remmeber when in doubt pass it to me :p

lol, perhapes il just stay out of this topic. its not mine to distort. :)

kash
August 10th, 2005, 21:31
You are being ignorant statements like these show your lack of knowledge in the genre:

Dont call me ignorant or I'll have my posse and my body gaurd pop a cap in your ass.

My dad is a *** and ive got to go clean out my closet.

I have been shot 9 times...

and I hate all white people.

and I hate Eminem and 50 Cent btw. This isn't an opinion anyway, I just posted verses about the complete opposite of what you people think rap is about. Why don't you open your mind a tad?

DCDayDreamer
August 10th, 2005, 21:43
did those blues singers talk about abortion??

They sung about absolutely everything... no jobs, no money, no food, no clothes, women, children, sex, alcohol, drugs - you name it!, it's the depression era, nobody to steal a car from, nobody to heist, nobody had anything! why do you think it's called 'blues'.

The big difference is that's all they knew, most of them couldn't read or write, no such thing as 'check me out I'm down on my luck, had a tough break, can write and have an attitude - sign me up'. most of the music wasn't even recorded, it's amazing any of the recordings ever survived at all. If you think any rapper is having a hard time out of life, check his bank statements!. The major difference between reality and pseudo hardship is the fact that they put their own music to their lyrics, Jug bands used a tin drum, a piece of rope and a stick as an instrument to accompany the message, they were making merry from their hardship whilst realizing their situation.

Reading some of your quoted rap lyrics (good they may be) just proves the point that an education has been delivered to the composers, wether it be later in life or in childhood, during the depression food was considered a luxury before education.

Kash - I applaud your passion for rap but It's actually quite sad that someone's trying to fool listeners with so much attempted poetry like 'They tampered with the holy scriptures and then fed it to the masses', then tries to be with the genre with one 'tryna' to keep the fans happy - transparently false, you couldn't get any clearer!. Rap at one time meant something, when it became commercial (a long time ago) it lost all it's roots no matter how clever the lyrics, ask anyone with an unbiased music knowledge where the true roots lie.

kash
August 10th, 2005, 22:08
They sung about absolutely everything... no jobs, no money, no food, no clothes, women, children, sex, alcohol, drugs - you name it!, it's the depression era, nobody to steal a car from, nobody to heist, nobody had anything! why do you think it's called 'blues'.

The big difference is that's all they knew, most of them couldn't read or write, no such thing as 'check me out I'm down on my luck, had a tough break, can write and have an attitude - sign me up'. most of the music wasn't even recorded, it's amazing any of the recordings ever survived at all. If you think any rapper is having a hard time out of life, check his bank statements!. The major difference between reality and pseudo hardship is the fact that they put their own music to their lyrics, Jug bands used a tin drum, a piece of rope and a stick as an instrument to accompany the message, they were making merry from their hardship whilst realizing their situation.

Reading some of your quoted rap lyrics (good they may be) just proves the point that an education has been delivered to the composers, wether it be later in life or in childhood, during the depression food was considered a luxury before education.

Kash - I applaud your passion for rap but It's actually quite sad that someone's trying to fool listeners with so much attempted poetry like 'They tampered with the holy scriptures and then fed it to the masses', then tries to be with the genre with one 'tryna' to keep the fans happy - transparently false, you couldn't get any clearer!. Rap at one time meant something, when it became commercial (a long time ago) it lost all it's roots no matter how clever the lyrics, ask anyone with an unbiased music knowledge where the true roots lie.

I know where the true roots of rap music lies. It's the child of funk/soul and blues. But just because the man says "tryna" doesn't mean he's trying to keep fans happy. This is the way he was brought up. I'm sure you have met intelligent people that use some slang. I know I have. I use the word tryna for Gods sake. I would say something like, "I'm tryna do this please leave me alone." I don't see anything wrong with that. You're just trying to be nit-picky to a prove a point. Look at the overall content of the verse and the lyricism and creativity it took to make it. I seriously doubt that was fabricated bullshit. And just because rap talks about those same topics don't make it unoriginal. Every genre talks about those things. So I guess that makes every verse written since the blues unoriginal? And just for the record those lyrics I posted aren't by any commercially known artists, they are people like you and me. Actually some of them still live in the ghetto believe it or not. You see, I listen to a lot of underground artists who are not commercially accepted and can barely break 9,000 record sales. <i> If </i> that. It's obvious you have a negative bias towards rap

I myself don't agree with the commercial rap music of today. I don't listen to people like Chingy, 50 Cent, Eminem, Mike Jones, Lil' Jon, etc. I listen to the older artists such as KRS-One, Rakim, Just-Ice, Kool G Rap, Nas, etc. And yes rap has been pimped by the industry to an endless extent.

krowstrife
August 11th, 2005, 04:22
ow if you want to know somthing that really pisses me off... its EMO. At least Rap bitches with a nice beat... Emo just sucks

you know emo does suck

p4ch3c0
August 11th, 2005, 09:51
I completely agree with Kash.

Rap is like a medium, if you will, no different than an artist's canvas. Of course, not just anybody could produce a stunning art piece. The same applies to Rap. For instance, try comparing the lyrics from tracks by people like Public Enemy, NWA, or Tupac to people like G-Unit, Cash Money, or Nelly. The latter are the ones who are destroying the art form by trying to appeal to middle-class White suburban teenagers (no offense to any middle-class White suburban teenagers). Since they are the most 'popular' of the genre (mainstream+commercial), it gives people the idea that that is what Rap is. But it's not. Rap is not about bitches, money, and cars. All of these fake rappers like 50 Cent are nothing more than a voice over a trendy beat. Rap has become so mainstream that most songs are judged by their beats. Real rappers like Common Sense, Mos Def, and maybe even KRS One go almost completely ignored by the general media. They just aren't 'trendy' enough.

But then again, there are a few rappers who don't have serious lyrics (Snoop Dogg [not his new shit kthx], Eminem, Biggie) yet they somehow manage to make good music. I guess it all depends on delivery.

DCDayDreamer
August 11th, 2005, 22:57
But just because the man says "tryna" doesn't mean he's trying to keep fans happy. This is the way he was brought up. I'm sure you have met intelligent people that use some slang. I know I have. I use the word tryna for Gods sake. I would say something like, "I'm tryna do this please leave me alone." I don't see anything wrong with that. You're just trying to be nit-picky to a prove a point. Look at the overall content of the verse and the lyricism and creativity it took to make it. I seriously doubt that was fabricated bullshit.

You started a topic about opinions/views on rap music and then posted the lyrics, I gave my opinion/view on them, it's obvious an intellectual wrote them, but without a couple of slang words the whole thing wouldn't fit in with the genre, it'd just be too clever for it's own good.

you know emo does suck

I really wish there were no posts with any 'emo' reference purely because it's trendy.

The latter are the ones who are destroying the art form by trying to appeal to middle-class White suburban teenagers (no offense to any middle-class White suburban teenagers).

That's where the money is so they exploit it, most genres are exploited in the same way, then the stereotype is born and the 'real' music gets lost in the commercial bandwagon.

But then again, there are a few rappers who don't have serious lyrics (Snoop Dogg [not his new shit kthx], Eminem, Biggie) yet they somehow manage to make good music. I guess it all depends on delivery.

Just take a once popular or obscure backing track and throw your rap on top - easy money!. They haven't made good music at all - someone else has done the hard work for them.

p4ch3c0
August 11th, 2005, 23:40
Just take a once popular or obscure backing track and throw your rap on top - easy money!. They haven't made good music at all - someone else has done the hard work for them.

Not true. Yes, many songs use beats from old songs, but most songs don't. But even if a song uses a sample from another song, that doesn't mean the artist jacked somebody else's work. As I said before, nowadays people only listen to the beat of a rap song, instead of the lyrics, which is what really matters. But sometimes songs with unimportant lyrics are considered good songs. The way the rapper rhymes and flows is a huge factor which dictates whether the song is 'good' or not.

DCDayDreamer
August 11th, 2005, 23:59
But even if a song uses a sample from another song, that doesn't mean the artist jacked somebody else's work.

Of course it does, taking anything from someone else's work is 'jacking', it just shows they have an ear for music but don't have the creative talent to make their own. Lyrics they may be good at but accompanying music - they just follow the well trodden path.

xuphorz
August 12th, 2005, 04:33
emo's suck,
goth's suck.

my opinion on rap:
only 2 good songs 1) Baby Got Back, and 2) Let's Get it Started or Let's get Retarded

kash
August 23rd, 2005, 01:07
Of course it does, taking anything from someone else's work is 'jacking', it just shows they have an ear for music but don't have the creative talent to make their own. Lyrics they may be good at but accompanying music - they just follow the well trodden path.

Some producers use the sampler as a xerox machine but it's also an instrument in its own right. Many producers use it just to sample sound bites from the radio, tv, etc to add a new element to the song. RZA for example, uses tons of Kung Fu samples in his music but his beats are original.

emo's suck,
goth's suck.

my opinion on rap:
only 2 good songs 1) Baby Got Back, and 2) Let's Get it Started or Let's get Retarded

and whats special about these songs?

Zherae
August 23rd, 2005, 03:06
Hip Hop is a culture? I can't believe some of you guys buy that c'rap! Sure it's an urban culture just like so many others: goths, skaters, otakus, surfers, etc Just because it's easy for some kid to pick up a can of spray and do some rubbish shit on the walls and call it art I call it vandalism, or do some corny rhymes and express themselves through very pre-defined patterns it doesn't make it/them superior in any way. Teens in general don't think for themselves and have no real taste in music most just follows fashions or are influenced by their relatives/friends.

I sincerely doubt that most rappers believe in it, it's a nice thing to say to the media gives them some credits.

Timbaland does nice beats tho but I find all the pseudo culture very silly back in the 70's and 80's they may have had some genuine intentions but today no! You asked what was our opinion so don't bitch if you don't agree with it. Try rapping your disappointment instead.

xuphorz
August 23rd, 2005, 03:09
and whats special about these songs?
absolutly nothing. they are just the only songs of rap/hip hop/punk i like

Eric
August 25th, 2005, 10:31
Man has this topic been going on for alongtime. Anyways did anyone see that video with 50cent yeah The Candyshop one. The video was pretty bad and by bad very much women in the wrong ways. Lets also point out and i was just watching this a few days ago on Much Music a Canadian music video station about 50cent. Anyways with that song apparently he tried to make the song for children aswell and i think thats a great aspect but i think children have tv to and can watch that horrible video.

See this is the type of stuff that makes children bad. When artists make bad music and make there music listenable for the childrens eyes and then they cant hardly wait to see that video but when it comes to that they see something utterly different from what they listened to and thats why we 50cent as an example Candyshop isnt to bad to listen but video is really bad.

Its more the videos now a days that are showing kids to do awful things. I mean yeah you could listen to the music and some hip hop artist could say go kill somebody but when you see it on TV gives a kid more of a motive to actually go and do something stupid like that cause what they see on tv they dont know if its real or not. But the music can do the same.

As for "Blues" yeah its pretty depressing music but to me no different then "EMO" except Emo is more rocken and roll and about Drugs and killing yourself. Blues is more lets sit back drink alcohol,snort cocaine and keep being depressed and doing althese bad things until we die. Quite simular but emo rock has more of a suicidal threat to it then anyother type of music.

Blues now a days is just to sit back and enjoy relax but does have the hint of snort cocaine and drink booz before you listen type of deal but you live longer and is still quite bad.

Eric

kash
August 26th, 2005, 04:11
Man has this topic been going on for alongtime. Anyways did anyone see that video with 50cent yeah The Candyshop one. The video was pretty bad and by bad very much women in the wrong ways. Lets also point out and i was just watching this a few days ago on Much Music a Canadian music video station about 50cent. Anyways with that song apparently he tried to make the song for children aswell and i think thats a great aspect but i think children have tv to and can watch that horrible video.

See this is the type of stuff that makes children bad. When artists make bad music and make there music listenable for the childrens eyes and then they cant hardly wait to see that video but when it comes to that they see something utterly different from what they listened to and thats why we 50cent as an example Candyshop isnt to bad to listen but video is really bad.

Its more the videos now a days that are showing kids to do awful things. I mean yeah you could listen to the music and some hip hop artist could say go kill somebody but when you see it on TV gives a kid more of a motive to actually go and do something stupid like that cause what they see on tv they dont know if its real or not. But the music can do the same.

As for "Blues" yeah its pretty depressing music but to me no different then "EMO" except Emo is more rocken and roll and about Drugs and killing yourself. Blues is more lets sit back drink alcohol,snort cocaine and keep being depressed and doing althese bad things until we die. Quite simular but emo rock has more of a suicidal threat to it then anyother type of music.

Blues now a days is just to sit back and enjoy relax but does have the hint of snort cocaine and drink booz before you listen type of deal but you live longer and is still quite bad.

Eric

Are kidding me about 50 Cent trying to appeal to kids with that song? Atrocious lyrics, atrocious beats, and horrible music video.

I'll take you to the candy shop
I'll let you lick the lollipop
Go ahead girl, don't you stop
Keep going til you hit the spot, whoaa

I'll take you to the candy shop
Boy, wanna taste what I got
I'll have you spending all you got
Keep going til you hit the spot, whoaa

that is most definitly not intended for kids

Eric
August 28th, 2005, 07:58
Hey i said it was said on Much Music the canadian video channel. Though those lyrics are now sound more suspicious to me that isnt for children and that channel can sometimes be pretty dumb lol.