PDA

View Full Version : UnOfficial gpSP kai-1 test svn rev 3.3 - GBA Emu for PSP

wraggster
February 6th, 2008, 22:31
Takka (http://takka.tfact.jp/blog/?p=179) has released a new version of his work on exophases GBA emulator for the PSP.

UnOfficial gpSP kai-1 test svn rev 3.3.

Two PSP communications for test.
Transfer Dummy data after connection, then log be stored in MemoryStick.
Games communication is not available.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

pkmaximum
February 6th, 2008, 22:37
I'm looking forward to when we can get full ad hoc emulation support =D

mikebeaver
February 6th, 2008, 22:50
I am looking forward to Exophase releasing HIS version, until then I will continue to shun this guys work, it may be a different build to Exophase's, but on many occasions he has asked for this stuff to not be worked on, it is his emu, after all, let the man update what he wants :)

Mike..

Triggerman
February 6th, 2008, 23:01
Well well well. *__*

Still no OFFICIAL gpSP... I will not use this crap.

homemade
February 6th, 2008, 23:01
I am looking forward to Exophase releasing HIS version, until then I will continue to shun this guys work, it may be a different build to Exophase's, but on many occasions he has asked for this stuff to not be worked on, it is his emu, after all, let the man update what he wants :)

Mike..
Sshhhhhh.....we need adhoc dude, by any means necessary.

koh-kun
February 6th, 2008, 23:42
Is he even making more releases? I think I remember this one time he got really pissed and threatened to stop.

maxipower90
February 7th, 2008, 00:24
Well well well. *__*

someones working hard and releasing frequently and you say its crap..

hes far surpassed the official and has added many new features, cut the guy some slack.

yea i would agree with you if exophrase was releasing updates but hes not therefore the better guy is continuing the work. at the end of the day, this kai dude is releasing updates to us, hes not making money of it.

i say better not as in better coder, but whats better for the home brew and emulation community

sm1988
February 7th, 2008, 00:35
Some of you guys need to get a life.I can't tell you how many post on other forums get cluttered with this same topic. Expose himself said he didn't care anymore so why should anybody else? It is a freaking emulator people albeit one of the best ones there is but still just an emulator.

Exophase
February 7th, 2008, 02:44
I'm not "exophrase" or "expose", I swear if you can't even get that right...

You can all argue about whether or not you should download this on principle, I really don't care, if software is worth using then use it.

But somehow no one ever really stops to actually consider what these releases do, probably because people usually don't even know. Seems to me that this is completely useless, and it's probably just out there to hype link emulation he doesn't have and hasn't actually moved any closer to implementing. What good is it going to do to have some test running on your PSP that fills your memstick full of logs when it doesn't actually do anything useful? Someone please explain this to me...

People see this stuff and are like OMG ADHOC SUPPORT IS COMING! Even though he's been pushing it for several months, you're just falling for pointless hype...

I wouldn't mind these kinds of releases if they actually served a purpose but they don't, but go ahead and praise him for "working hard", afterall he's releasing SOMETHING that you guys can see and I'm not and that's all that matters right?

There's lots I could have done for gpSP, and some I did do since 0.9, but I'm working on another emulator for now... and I'm tired of developing something for PSP users because too many of them don't have common sense and are total parasites. It's probably a lot easier being Takka because he didn't give out his AIM SN and he doesn't post on boards like this so he isn't bothered by annoying newbs every day asking how to install custom firmwares and run BIOSes and read readmes God knows what else.

Yeah I know I'm gonna get flamed for all of this but seriously try to take in what I'm saying. There's a difference between adding little things and making a releases whenever you feel like it and getting everyone to support you when they don't even understand what your changelog says, and actually dedicated work to making it much better.

But if I was working hard it'd still take me a long time because I've long since been done with the "easy" part of GBA emulation. The optimizations I have in mind are very serious endeavors. So I wouldn't be releasing frequently (I never have, because I believe in quality over quantity), and therefore according to maxipower Takka would still be "the better guy."

**** that.

I don't expect very many of you to really understand.

I'll still be working on my PC-Engine emulator, for a worse platform but a much better scene. I'll probably return to gpSP one day, despite how much its been dragged through the mud.

The King
February 7th, 2008, 03:41
nicely said Exophase.

pkmaximum
February 7th, 2008, 03:46
Exophase I understand completely what you are saying, but you have blown this out of proportion to the extent where you take it upon yourself to say that the PSP scene is filled with nothing but users with no common sense..... How can anyone have respect for you when you talk down to us like that. Does any real harm come to you from Takka making useless updates of your emulator? Like honestly I would rather have you not release anything and not bitch about your work being worked on by others...... To me you have no common sense of respect.

Bobablob
February 7th, 2008, 04:23
Sorry that you feel that way, Exophase. Sorry too that too many people take advantage of your availability on forums, etcetera. I have actually found some of KAI's ports to run games that for whatever reason won't run on your last release, but I agree that many of these releases seem superfluous.

Exophase
February 7th, 2008, 04:40
Exophase I understand completely what you are saying, but you have blown this out of proportion to the extent where you take it upon yourself to say that the PSP scene is filled with nothing but users with no common sense..... How can anyone have respect for you when you talk down to us like that. Does any real harm come to you from Takka making useless updates of your emulator? Like honestly I would rather have you not release anything and not bitch about your work being worked on by others...... To me you have no common sense of respect.

I never said that the PSP scene was "filled with nothing but" these kinds of people, what I said that there are too many people like that. I worded it like that for a reason, so don't take it personally unless you have a good reason to believe I am referring to you. Do you?

Do you think I'm out of line to say that there are a lot of selfish, immature brats in this community? Are you constantly IMed by people who think you're their tech support because they saw your username in a readme? Did you know that there have been people who have found my phone number and voice/txt spammed me because I didn't talk to them on AIM anymore (even though I was patient with them for months, and they just pushed and pushed too far)? Sure, it's not like everyone's like this. It might even be a minority. But look I around and what I see is an atmosphere that tolerates people like this, that doesn't really care. Maybe it's age gap, I think a lot of PSP homebrew users are young teenagers. In the GP2X scene most people are probably adults and have gotten past the stage of life where they expect everything to be provided for them on demand.

By the way, have you ever developed an emulator, or any software? I'm not dumping on you for this but listen because it's relevant. Have you watched some guy release modified versions of your code while you're in the middle of working very hard on it, to get a lot of responses like "at least this guy is releasing." I don't think you have. I have emu dev friends who understand exactly how I feel. It's one of them that alerted me about this topic, and he's probably as pissed off about Takka as I am. And it's not even his emulator.

There are PSP users like that (NO not all of them at all, I have met a ton of very decent people around here), they will praise and support something 100% so long as they think it's going to benefit them, then when they stop believing it will they'll turn on it entirely, as if devs exist solely for the purpose of catering to them. Look at what happened to zx81 with PSPVBA, look at all the people who were praising him like mad over every release because they thought it'd mean fullspeed GBA emulation, then when he cut development they all were really disappointed, with a lot of them going so far as to flame him. Hell, people have been flaming Daedalus because for some reason they expected it to be fullspeed, I hear crap about how he's had so and so long to do it. At the same time people like SHIFTY came around releasing binaries that were literally identical to Daedalus ones already out while pretending that it ran Mario 64 faster, and a ton of people believed it, and praised him for it.

Do you get what I'm saying about lack of common sense being an issue here? No it's not very nice of me to say, but it is true.

Sorry that you feel that way, Exophase. Sorry too that too many people take advantage of your availability on forums, etcetera. I have actually found some of KAI's ports to run games that for whatever reason won't run on your last release, but I agree that many of these releases seem superfluous.

Yeah, a big reason for that (his versions supporting things that 0.9 doesn't) is because he has merged in changes I've made in the GP2X version of gpSP, and in the case of FF6 has followed what I have said about it on a blog (referenced on his wiki, so he's okay with reading my blog to use what I say but still doesn't want to actually work with me). Some games were broken in 0.9 because of the new memory handlers but I fixed these bugs within a couple of weeks of releaase, and that's why they made it into the GP2X source. Him backporting my changes in another version and effectively taking credit for them is quite underhanded, IMO.

However, like I said, if you have good reason to use those versions use them. I don't expect (nor want) anyone to boycott legal software out of loyalty. What I do expect is for people to be more discerning about what they compliment and deride.

pkmaximum
February 7th, 2008, 05:02
I never said that the PSP scene was "filled with nothing but" these kinds of people, what I said that there are too many people like that. I worded it like that for a reason, so don't take it personally unless you have a good reason to believe I am referring to you. Do you?

Do you think I'm out of line to say that there are a lot of selfish, immature brats in this community? Are you constantly IMed by people who think you're their tech support because they saw your username in a readme? Did you know that there have been people who have found my phone number and voice/txt spammed me because I didn't talk to them on AIM anymore (even though I was patient with them for months, and they just pushed and pushed too far)? Sure, it's not like everyone's like this. It might even be a minority. But look I around and what I see is an atmosphere that tolerates people like this, that doesn't really care. Maybe it's age gap, I think a lot of PSP homebrew users are young teenagers. In the GP2X scene most people are probably adults and have gotten past the stage of life where they expect everything to be provided for them on demand.

By the way, have you ever developed an emulator, or any software? I'm not dumping on you for this but listen because it's relevant. Have you watched some guy release modified versions of your code while you're in the middle of working very hard on it, to get a lot of responses like "at least this guy is releasing." I don't think you have. I have emu dev friends who understand exactly how I feel. It's one of them that alerted me about this topic, and he's probably as pissed off about Takka as I am. And it's not even his emulator.

There are PSP users like that (NO not all of them at all, I have met a ton of very decent people around here), they will praise and support something 100% so long as they think it's going to benefit them, then when they stop believing it will they'll turn on it entirely, as if devs exist solely for the purpose of catering to them. Look at what happened to zx81 with PSPVBA, look at all the people who were praising him like mad over every release because they thought it'd mean fullspeed GBA emulation, then when he cut development they all were really disappointed, with a lot of them going so far as to flame him. Hell, people have been flaming Daedalus because for some reason they expected it to be fullspeed, I hear crap about how he's had so and so long to do it. At the same time people like SHIFTY came around releasing binaries that were literally identical to Daedalus ones already out while pretending that it ran Mario 64 faster, and a ton of people believed it, and praised him for it.

Do you get what I'm saying about lack of common sense being an issue here? No it's not very nice of me to say, but it is true.

Yeah, a big reason for that (his versions supporting things that 0.9 doesn't) is because he has merged in changes I've made in the GP2X version of gpSP, and in the case of FF6 has followed what I have said about it on a blog (referenced on his wiki, so he's okay with reading my blog to use what I say but still doesn't want to actually work with me). Some games were broken in 0.9 because of the new memory handlers but I fixed these bugs within a couple of weeks of releaase, and that's why they made it into the GP2X source. Him backporting my changes in another version and effectively taking credit for them is quite underhanded, IMO.

However, like I said, if you have good reason to use those versions use them. I don't expect (nor want) anyone to boycott legal software out of loyalty. What I do expect is for people to be more discerning about what they compliment and deride.

After reading that I have a stronger grasp on what you are trying to say. I suppose I interpreted to much that you were trying to flame the PSP users out there over the Kai release. I'm sorry to hear that so many psp users have spammed you in the past (probably still doing it). It sux but this whole emulation world is full of the give me give me people. As far as ZX81 and VBA.... Well it sux but its hard to support something so much when something else comes out that is at a level wear VBA just couldn't ever reach. But I think ZX81 knew that at the same time. People definetly do suck some times. I still can't agree with you that to much of a majority of the PSP scene lacks common sense, but you are very right that there is a good majority that does. That is because sadly the majority like you said are people mainly just in High School. Where they think any coders work is for the soul purpose of their benefit.

Sorry for lashing out at you I should have tried to listen a bit more clearly to what you were saying instead of only analyzing that one comment about common sense. I really do look forward to releases of the GBA hopefully officially by you.

BTW to the coding software thing, you are right I don't code anything legit for the most part. I have made a few things in Visual Basic, but thats it. Hopefully you will release some of your updates on your emulator though cause everyone appreciates updates for the most part no matter how small. Especially cause I guess it just lets people know your still working hard on the emu. But thats your choice.

I suppose your right I truthfully believed he was on the verge of ad hoc, I'm not a coder that can really defer the difference after all.

I wish you the best of luck Exophase, and I hope the GP2X scene makes you happier than the PSP scene then.....

bah
February 7th, 2008, 05:28
Whatever you release will be appreciated by anyone with respect for the effort it's taken. Ive got a cpl mates with GP2Xs and I know they would appreciate another great coder in their scene.
There certainly are less immature whiners on gp2x forums, largely I guess because there's no commercial games to download for that platform. It seems many young'uns expect not just their homebrew but also their new commercial games for free (and right now). Even then they'll probably get comments like 'not worth downloading the ISO'.

I think most are decent ppl, it's just a vocal (wanker) minority.

F#*k what the expectant pissants waffle on about.
Easier said than done I know.

It's like scientology, you can get pissed that they have tax free status and are allowed to prey on people, or just sit back and just laugh at the morons and their meaningless dribble.

matsuura
February 7th, 2008, 05:46

You can all argue about whether or not you should download this on principle, I really don't care, if software is worth using then use it.

But somehow no one ever really stops to actually consider what these releases do, probably because people usually don't even know. Seems to me that this is completely useless, and it's probably just out there to hype link emulation he doesn't have and hasn't actually moved any closer to implementing. What good is it going to do to have some test running on your PSP that fills your memstick full of logs when it doesn't actually do anything useful? Someone please explain this to me...

People see this stuff and are like OMG ADHOC SUPPORT IS COMING! Even though he's been pushing it for several months, you're just falling for pointless hype...

I wouldn't mind these kinds of releases if they actually served a purpose but they don't, but go ahead and praise him for "working hard", afterall he's releasing SOMETHING that you guys can see and I'm not and that's all that matters right?

There's lots I could have done for gpSP, and some I did do since 0.9, but I'm working on another emulator for now... and I'm tired of developing something for PSP users because too many of them don't have common sense and are total parasites. It's probably a lot easier being Takka because he didn't give out his AIM SN and he doesn't post on boards like this so he isn't bothered by annoying newbs every day asking how to install custom firmwares and run BIOSes and read readmes God knows what else.

Yeah I know I'm gonna get flamed for all of this but seriously try to take in what I'm saying. There's a difference between adding little things and making a releases whenever you feel like it and getting everyone to support you when they don't even understand what your changelog says, and actually dedicated work to making it much better.

But if I was working hard it'd still take me a long time because I've long since been done with the "easy" part of GBA emulation. The optimizations I have in mind are very serious endeavors. So I wouldn't be releasing frequently (I never have, because I believe in quality over quantity), and therefore according to maxipower Takka would still be "the better guy."

**** that.

I'll still be working on my PC-Engine emulator, for a worse platform but a much better scene. I'll probably return to gpSP one day, despite how much its been dragged through the mud.

You know, I appreciate your work. Unlike most people who decide to rock out homebrew and well, anything really, who cannot sit to think, "Hey, although this program clearly is beta or still in it's development stage, I think I'll bitch and complain about how much it does not do what it's suppose to do.. Not to add, It's not done yet! YAY! :D" Example, linux... soo many crappy distributions out now because of that reason. Another, the whole, "Well, since I cannot get progressive mode to work on my sdtv, why even get the slim(or I should return mines, stupid p.o.s)" Things of the like.

Now, I don't really expect anything I said to be taken seriously by the mass audience for the reasons you've already spoken of. But something that should be kept in mind, if you have a job, you pay rent, basically, you are not going to sit there and pump shit out of no where and make a super final release that has every feature you can possibly want. That's stupid and unrealistic. Unfortunately, These types of people do not understand the amount of time and well, varying perfection put into the brew. It is because a lot of these people, who completely induce piracy and share amongst their fellow nooblet community, how leet they are by sending them links, advertising people shit and selling it, changing pictures to give themselves credit for other people work, etc. It's lame.

A potential to do what you want to your own product made by another company is a great thing. I guess I just don't understand why people bitch and moan about how something doesn't work right for them. If it wasn't for these rad programmers/hackers(by definition that actual fits... :-\) This stuff would not be here. I'm not saying anything negative to you exophase, or to anyone, I'm merely emphasizing how much of a lack of appreciation there is for an open world.
-EOF-. >_>

calvinbui
February 7th, 2008, 06:02
PUFF PUFF What did i miss?

John Vattic
February 7th, 2008, 08:14

**** that.

Dang man how about Emophase? Everyone in the world knows it's your emu.
nothing wrong with people clinging to hope for fullscreen composite out for slim, or adhoc support for silm/phat.

And i do understand that it's your work as does Taka, as it's "UO gpsp". UO = UnOfficial in case someone didn't know.

P.S. I used to spin at Bloomington parties and you people party hard! Like every other house there has 100 or so people partying. !rock on!

Baboon
February 7th, 2008, 08:29
Fair Play Exophase. I hope you do come back to the psp scene at some point though.

I'll still be working on my PC-Engine emulator, for a worse platform but a much better scene.

Ahh bugger... I'm sure a PC-Engine from yourself would rock too, just a shame the PSP scene won't ever see now due to all the whingers and moaners. The PC Engine is the one machine that seems neglegted on the PSP. :(

No_one_in_particular
February 7th, 2008, 09:04
Yeh it's a crying shame, all these gimmegimmegimme nobheads are enough to piss the most patient of people off. Reading that, I can fully understand your feelings on your emu and Takka's releases, without being a developer. As most have said, I hope you do return, your emu is fantastic and one of my most-used apps. Apart from that, all I can say is don't let the bastards grind you down !

240-185
February 7th, 2008, 10:21
I must admit that I downloaded Takka's releases in order to play some games that didn't run on official releases (Like Bit Generation games (Boundish, Soundvoyager, etc)).

Well, after trying these releases, I fully support Exophase's work.

I will say only these word about the two latest releases of Takka: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THESE CRAPPY SHITTY F**KING DAMN BAD-CODED THINGS. When Takka releases a newer version, he's "correcting" some bugs... to add new ones! At this time, there are two pretty damn annoying bug: the emulator crashes when loading a second ZIPped rom since the 3.2 Test 7 version and the sound is heavily delayed (making games like Rhythm Tengoku unplayable).

To correct the first bug that freezes the PSP, oh it is very simple. Instead of freezing, let's throw the user directly to the XMB, so the bug will be fixed!

Takka's work is not serious. Instead of planning huge features like AdHoc, he ought to correct the bugs mentioned above.

jeegee
February 7th, 2008, 11:14
Not used any apart from exophases. Takka is basically stealing his code! i know its distrib as freeware, gnu an all that, but bottom line is it IS stealing. If takka wants to make a GBA emu he should make one, not just rip off someone elses hard work. Mebbe if he released fewer updates he'd have more time to code one? GO EXOPHASE :)

Oh and agree with the too many takers in psp community, wonder how many ppl have REALLY donated to Darkalex for all HIS hard work????

kharaboudjan
February 7th, 2008, 16:00
i have never used anything else than exos gpsp. and we will all miss you very very much in the psp scene. hopefully you will come back one day and code another emulator for the psp. (or perhaps you could port your GPX2 pc engine emu to the psp someday :D )

dazman
February 7th, 2008, 21:00
i would like to just say that I am greatfull to anyone who releases or updates anything for the PSP becuase left to Sony it would be a pointless pile of exspense s***.

Thanks all coders

sm1988
February 7th, 2008, 22:55

**** that.

Ummm woooow I am sorry for the bs that you have had to hear just for releasing a great piece of work and um sorry I spelled you name wrong. I like this board alot so I will be respectful and brief. I think you need to slow your roll on the insults you throw around. yeah there are alot of ***holes but there also are alot of people that are greatful Im sure you know that better than I do judging by the feedback that you get. I don't really think that I am a parasite considering that I have a flashcart along with about 30 gba titles that I have bought and I have played your emulator a total of about 15 minutes since I got my psp. Alot of these people like myself just appretiate the skill of coders like you and what you do for the homebrew scene and not what they can get for free. I really appretiate what you have done for the scene But maybe you should check on some anger management classes cowboy.

Veskgar
February 8th, 2008, 02:02

I and a lot of others understand. I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you once again and let you know that I have a great fondness for the PC-Engine and if you could bring that to the PSP at some point it will be appreciated by many, especially myself. Also, I'm very excited to hear about the progress you made on gpSP and would really hope an update makes it to PSP some day. There is something magic about loading up gpSP 0.9 and playing some of the GBA games so incredibly well on the PSP.

Dang man how about Emophase?
With bonehead comments like that, regardless of any follow-up trying to explain your philosophy on the situation, its no wonder Exophase gets fed up with the PSP scene. Give him a break, cut him some slack, and perhaps one day we'll be blessed not only with an improved gpSP, but also a PC-Engine emulator.

The PSP scene owes a lot to Exophase and could benefit tremendously from future contributions if Exophase decides to do so.

Please don't forget about the legions of supportive and appreciative people in the scene Exophase..

discombobulated
February 8th, 2008, 02:15
http://www.wickedsunshine.com/WagePeace/Election2004/Images/AwJeez,NotThisShitAgain!.jpg

NoQuarter
February 8th, 2008, 02:59
Sucks you had to deal with that garbage,I can't believe people went so far as to harrass you.

I really love your emu though,I've never used any other versions cause it plays the games I have just fine :)

Appreciate all of your hard work Exophase.

John Vattic
February 8th, 2008, 11:08
Frankly I hope he does quit, that means you scumbags might just have to BUY games instead of pirating them.

And if he does quit it's not because of me, it's because he got on the EVIL internets and put his work on it.

If what i say offends you, you need a serious talking to by a clinical psychologist as you have some kind of identity-social disorder.

And Veskgar wtf. you're the friggn' king o emo. with that sweaty shirtless headwrap pic. yuck man.

Overly sensitve F**ks are what is destroying the fun in the world. just look at the other topic, "Mature rated games on the decline".

This can only lead to a society of child-like minds and overly sensitive "green" people. After all, the government doesn't want intelligent, open minded, well-informed, and free population.

With everyone swinging on the coders wang's i figured the only thing to say was "quit cryin like a lil b**ch".

say-on emo anime avatars. As I know i will be flamed by you flaming fairies.

Health Power +10000000
Insight +100000000
Magic 0(not applicable)

RPG lets trade punches

Panini
February 8th, 2008, 12:13
Frankly I hope he does quit, that means you scumbags might just have to BUY games instead of pirating them.

And if he does quit it's not because of me, it's because he got on the EVIL internets and put his work on it.

If what i say offends you, you need a serious talking to by a clinical psychologist as you have some kind of identity-social disorder.

And Veskgar wtf. you're the friggn' king o emo. with that sweaty shirtless headwrap pic. yuck man.

Overly sensitve F**ks are what is destroying the fun in the world. just look at the other topic, "Mature rated games on the decline".

This can only lead to a society of child-like minds and overly sensitive "green" people. After all, the government doesn't want intelligent, open minded, well-informed, and free population.

With everyone swinging on the coders wang's i figured the only thing to say was "quit cryin like a lil b**ch".

say-on emo anime avatars. As I know i will be flamed by you flaming fairies.

Health Power +10000000
Insight +100000000
Magic 0(not applicable)

RPG lets trade punches

:rofl:

What an amusing post. lol

No_one_in_particular
February 8th, 2008, 12:20
Nah, what's destroying the fun in the world is the amount of complete muppets who talk absolute shite. His arguments are fair, not that you'd bothered to read them. Before you go upsetting a much cherished developer, what the **** are you so special for ? Do you do anything useful or just spout shitty emo jokes ? Thought not.

argor
February 8th, 2008, 12:30
[QUOTE=bah;2148015974]
There certainly are less immature whiners on gp2x forums, largely I guess because there's no commercial games to download for that platform.

QUOTE]

http://wind-water.net/news.html :cool:

SpacemanSpiff
February 8th, 2008, 12:50
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the GP2X community is over the PSP community, I've read the GP2X forums before and it was mostly filled with people whining about the PSP and trying to justify why they thought the GP2X was better.

Codaz
February 8th, 2008, 14:30
Too bad that you don't release anything Exophase.

Now Takka strikes with your work. Unofficial or official, he makes the releases.

If they are good, thats what the downloader decides.

Hiding in another scene doesn't make it any better, because in every gaming or hacking scene you have whiners.

kharaboudjan
February 8th, 2008, 15:48
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the GP2X community is over the PSP community, I've read the GP2X forums before and it was mostly filled with people whining about the PSP and trying to justify why they thought the GP2X was better.

yeah, and there is absolutely NO reason to justify that GP2X are better than the psp. now when we actually got Picodrive and UAE4ALL we psp users has it all =)

h4s30
February 8th, 2008, 17:57
you guys are missing the point
the psp scene is full of idiots and whiners BUT keep in mind not everyone is like that here
he never said anything abou gp2x being better than the psp
and the psp is prolly 100 times better than the gp2x but i'm pretty sure the people at the gp2x scene don't repeatedly ask the same questions that have already been asked 2 billion times and there are treasure mines of tutorials to answer the question

what you guys are pretty much doing (to those who support his endeavor) is praising takka for taking exophase's work and just rereleasing it under a different package
this release is garbage i could care less about my gba emulator able to run a test

and believe me i would love nothing more than another release from exophase letting me play FFVI but if he doesn't then i'm cool with it actually in fact i believe he's mentioned in his blog that he got it to work and whatnot plus alot of other things that i didn't understand but totally sounded like progress

i'm pretty sure if we all had a lil patients we'd get that fullspeed n64 or the adhoc gba instead of fakeass wannabe adhoc that isn't really even close to adhoc

argor
February 8th, 2008, 18:37
yeah, and there is absolutely NO reason to justify that GP2X are better than the psp. now when we actually got Picodrive and UAE4ALL we psp users has it all =)
well the gp2x better at some thing than psp just to name 1 in video playback the gp2x is better that psp the pont that am try to is ewry thing has it good and bad thing

=====================================
the next handheld i will buy will be the pandora http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29

Triggerman
February 8th, 2008, 20:03
Well.

Actually Exophase said he would continue developing gpSP for PSP if he got a PSP Slim & Lite, a few months ago.
In order to do that he needed money, which he got more than half by donations.
Then he announced that he had enough money, that he would go out - buy one and he even wanted to create a new thread for us to tell him what vital new functions and optimizations it should contain, giving a lot of users hope for a new official release. This was just before Christmas. And the problem was - the PSP was incredibly expensive at this time. He stated he would pick up a PSP S&L at the early new year. Thats were the story ended, just for all the people who didn't follow the official gpSP v0.9 release thread.

Now, I don't want to whine and I think Exophase knows how many PSP users would be more than happy with a new release.

There are so many -

1. people who can only take and then flame developers,
2. people who cannot read readme files to set something up which is so easily described,
3. people who keep nagging people and developers, asking to get them certain files or taking them as their personal consultant,
4. "developers" who "steal" your code to add useless things, don't release sources or not even think about consulting the original creator.

Seeing all these groups now and by reading and posting at forums for years makes me claim that 75% out of all PSP users seem to fit in at least one of these groups.

BUT, Exophase (and I hope you read this carefully) the PSP Scene is much bigger than the GP2X Scene since there are no commercial games for the device as someone else already said.

AND, which is more important, Exophase, the 5. group consists of people who appreciate all you have done, all you do and everything you will do and are so greatful at least leaving you a Thank you, from so many countries all over the world.

You have done such an awesome job writing this Emulator. For me it is the best and the only homebrew application I stay on CFW for. If someone can seriously continue and improve this work it's you.
What ever will happen, a big "Danke" from me and my friends in Germany for what you have already done.

Veskgar
February 8th, 2008, 20:18

:rofl:

Its somewhat flattering that you spent the time and effort on that detailed analysis of my avatar. Must've hit a nerve somewhere. A bit of friendly advice... If you are going to dish out criticism, you better have the capacity to handle it in return.

I won't feed the flames of this thread, but I will reiterate the fact that Exophase does make some pretty strong arguments and he should get more respect than he seems to be getting.

These Kai releases by Takka are garbage and we don't need them. Its best to let Exophase update the emulator as he sees fit.

argor
February 8th, 2008, 20:35
Well.

Asince there are no commercial games for the device as someone else already said.

there are some like http://wind-water.net/news.html :cool:

Exophase
February 8th, 2008, 20:51
Well.

Actually Exophase said he would continue developing gpSP for PSP if he got a PSP Slim & Lite, a few months ago.
In order to do that he needed money, which he got more than half by donations.
Then he announced that he had enough money, that he would go out - buy one and he even wanted to create a new thread for us to tell him what vital new functions and optimizations it should contain, giving a lot of users hope for a new official release. This was just before Christmas. And the problem was - the PSP was incredibly expensive at this time. He stated he would pick up a PSP S&L at the early new year. Thats were the story ended, just for all the people who didn't follow the official gpSP v0.9 release thread.

Now, I don't want to whine and I think Exophase knows how many PSP users would be more than happy with a new release.

There are so many -

1. people who can only take and then flame developers,
2. people who cannot read readme files to set something up which is so easily described,
3. people who keep nagging people and developers, asking to get them certain files or taking them as their personal consultant,
4. "developers" who "steal" your code to add useless things, don't release sources or not even think about consulting the original creator.

Seeing all these groups now and by reading and posting at forums for years makes me claim that 75% out of all PSP users seem to fit in at least one of these groups.

BUT, Exophase (and I hope you read this carefully) the PSP Scene is much bigger than the GP2X Scene since there are no commercial games for the device as someone else already said.

AND, which is more important, Exophase, the 5. group consists of people who appreciate all you have done, all you do and everything you will do and are so greatful at least leaving you a Thank you, from so many countries all over the world.

You have done such an awesome job writing this Emulator. For me it is the best and the only homebrew application I stay on CFW for. If someone can seriously continue and improve this work it's you.
What ever will happen, a big "Danke" from me and my friends in Germany for what you have already done.

This post does deserve attention/clarification on my part, I probably owe an apology too. I do intend to make good on the money I was donated and buy a PSP Slim now that they've finally come down in price; I don't want anyone to think that I've tricked people on that. However, since I've gotten myself involved in other work before and during that time it could be a while still before I can really do that. I don't like doing "clean up" versions but that was pretty much what I said I'd do (ie, fixed some games, a few minor improvements, but nothing too major). I still don't have a Slim yet, of course.

If the people who donated feel ripped off by this I can refund them for the time being, sorry about that.

There's really no question at all that I get a lot more positive reception in the PSP scene than the GP2X scene because the PSP scene is just so much larger. I think hundreds of thousands of people have used gpSP, judging on download counts. I don't have a problem with a quantitative lack of appreciation because I have plenty of it. It's just the negative stuff that gets me down way too much, it's hard to deal with.

I think the biggest thing that bothers me about Takka's releases is that he implements things that I generally wouldn't have.

Some of these things I think are objectively useless. Some of them are more subjective - I can argue with why I think that the emulator shouldn't have them but a lot of people will want them anyway.

For instance TV out support. I'd rather encourage people to use a PC or an XBox or something for emulating GBA games on a big screen, not a PSP. But there are people who not only insist on it but complain like crazy when it's not there.

Then there's FF6 support. gpSP has had FF6 fixed for a really long time now (way before Takka released his version that played it), but I didn't bother because I want to encourage people to use the SNES version. FF6 had one of my favorite soundtracks of all times and the GBA version totally butchered it. You might argue that gpSP would emulate it faster, but the game totally rapes the GBA and gpSP has to skip a ton of frames in battle. If I'm going to release a version that plays it I want to at least make it faster.

Then you have lots of other little things that feel like they're added because they're done by someone who has time to waste and doesn't have to worry about the real issues involved in coding an emulator. Loading bars, when most things take no more than a couple seconds to load. Battery life/time display, when you get the same thing by pressing start. Configurable locations for directories in several separate files - do users really need to specify this so badly or could you just have fixed directories?

Most of these things feel like they have nothing to do with improving GBA emulation, and don't even really improve the emulator but they make it "feel" like it's more like other emulators. And people see this and feel like a lot of improvements have been done.

Now from my perspective for every time he does this I have to evaluate what he has done and then if I see that people will demand having it I have to go ahead and reimplement it. I can't use his code because he's pointlessly changed so many things in my code which I don't agree with (and it has a lot of Japanese comments), and yet the actual changes are trivial. But there are too many of them. The last time I sat down and reviewed his code changes it took me several hours, just so I could conclude that 90% of it was meaningless. I don't want to do that at all, I'd much rather just implement things myself.

This is what I did with gpSP 0.9 - I spent several months intensely debugging games (Mario & Luigi, Zelda, Mario & Donkey Kong, etc), then spent the last day implementing "Takka features" to make people happy. But I don't feel like doing this anymore. I don't WANT my emulator to have features that I think are lame, but if it doesn't then people are going to complain, people are going to insult me compared to him.

Seriously, I made a mistake making this GPL. I guess it just seemed like the natural thing to do and I knew my GPL zealot friends would chew me out if I didn't do it. When it comes to emulators I've spent so much time just reading source and so little time actually modifying it (nothing that I've ever publicly released, nor would I without contacting the author) that I figured that's what people would want with it. I was worried about this happening from the start but I determined that if I just put in the readme asking people not to do this that they wouldn't, and if they did I could talk them out of it. Guess not. Oh well.

When I get a Slim I might make a topic just to get an idea of what features gpSP 0.9 lacks that they actually want (whatever Takka's added), because I am not going to spend time reviewing his source again, that sounds like a nightmare. Unfortunately so many people have said that his versions are better or worse for reasons that are totally inaccurate, like that it plays games that work fine in 0.9 (Minish Cap for instance...) that I can't make sense of it. At this point I really don't even want to look at the version to get an idea of what it has. The whole thing is a mess.

I hope this makes some of my frustration clearer.

I really never intended to make a big announcement about scene participation but I see that's how it was taken as this was posted on several other places...

Triggerman
February 8th, 2008, 21:34
This post does deserve attention/clarification on my part, I probably owe an apology too. I do intend to make good on the money I was donated and buy a PSP Slim now that they've finally come down in price; I don't want anyone to think that I've tricked people on that. However, since I've gotten myself involved in other work before and during that time it could be a while still before I can really do that. I don't like doing "clean up" versions but that was pretty much what I said I'd do (ie, fixed some games, a few minor improvements, but nothing too major). I still don't have a Slim yet, of course.

If the people who donated feel ripped off by this I can refund them for the time being, sorry about that.

There's really no question at all that I get a lot more positive reception in the PSP scene than the GP2X scene because the PSP scene is just so much larger. I think hundreds of thousands of people have used gpSP, judging on download counts. I don't have a problem with a quantitative lack of appreciation because I have plenty of it. It's just the negative stuff that gets me down way too much, it's hard to deal with.

I think the biggest thing that bothers me about Takka's releases is that he implements things that I generally wouldn't have.

Some of these things I think are objectively useless. Some of them are more subjective - I can argue with why I think that the emulator shouldn't have them but a lot of people will want them anyway.

For instance TV out support. I'd rather encourage people to use a PC or an XBox or something for emulating GBA games on a big screen, not a PSP. But there are people who not only insist on it but complain like crazy when it's not there.

Then there's FF6 support. gpSP has had FF6 fixed for a really long time now (way before Takka released his version that played it), but I didn't bother because I want to encourage people to use the SNES version. FF6 had one of my favorite soundtracks of all times and the GBA version totally butchered it. You might argue that gpSP would emulate it faster, but the game totally rapes the GBA and gpSP has to skip a ton of frames in battle. If I'm going to release a version that plays it I want to at least make it faster.

Then you have lots of other little things that feel like they're added because they're done by someone who has time to waste and doesn't have to worry about the real issues involved in coding an emulator. Loading bars, when most things take no more than a couple seconds to load. Battery life/time display, when you get the same thing by pressing start. Configurable locations for directories in several separate files - do users really need to specify this so badly or could you just have fixed directories?

Most of these things feel like they have nothing to do with improving GBA emulation, and don't even really improve the emulator but they make it "feel" like it's more like other emulators. And people see this and feel like a lot of improvements have been done.

Now from my perspective for every time he does this I have to evaluate what he has done and then if I see that people will demand having it I have to go ahead and reimplement it. I can't use his code because he's pointlessly changed so many things in my code which I don't agree with (and it has a lot of Japanese comments), and yet the actual changes are trivial. But there are too many of them. The last time I sat down and reviewed his code changes it took me several hours, just so I could conclude that 90% of it was meaningless. I don't want to do that at all, I'd much rather just implement things myself.

This is what I did with gpSP 0.9 - I spent several months intensely debugging games (Mario & Luigi, Zelda, Mario & Donkey Kong, etc), then spent the last day implementing "Takka features" to make people happy. But I don't feel like doing this anymore. I don't WANT my emulator to have features that I think are lame, but if it doesn't then people are going to complain, people are going to insult me compared to him.

Seriously, I made a mistake making this GPL. I guess it just seemed like the natural thing to do and I knew my GPL zealot friends would chew me out if I didn't do it. When it comes to emulators I've spent so much time just reading source and so little time actually modifying it (nothing that I've ever publicly released, nor would I without contacting the author) that I figured that's what people would want with it. I was worried about this happening from the start but I determined that if I just put in the readme asking people not to do this that they wouldn't, and if they did I could talk them out of it. Guess not. Oh well.

When I get a Slim I might make a topic just to get an idea of what features gpSP 0.9 lacks that they actually want (whatever Takka's added), because I am not going to spend time reviewing his source again, that sounds like a nightmare. Unfortunately so many people have said that his versions are better or worse for reasons that are totally inaccurate, like that it plays games that work fine in 0.9 (Minish Cap for instance...) that I can't make sense of it. At this point I really don't even want to look at the version to get an idea of what it has. The whole thing is a mess.

I hope this makes some of my frustration clearer.

I really never intended to make a big announcement about scene participation but I see that's how it was taken as this was posted on several other places...

I do get your point and understood for myself that features Takka added are totally pointless a long time ago.
What I didn't know was that users made you feel to implement these useless things in your releases.
Have there even been Takka releases before gpSP v0.9?

Sure, TV-out support would be nice, Ad-hoc would be nice. But these are no vital things like optimizing emulation or compatibility like you always intended to do. These are the things I (and I'm sure many other users) always enjoyed about your releases. These are the things only you can offer because you are the man who can translate GBA operations best into PSP operations on the whole planet I guess.

Loading bars, as you already mentioned are useless to me too, as well as many other things he changed about the GUI. I even felt he messed it up because everything seemed to be clearly arranged to me.

I totally enjoyed playing Metroid Fusion on my PSP. There were areas in that game where gpSP v0.8 used to make it lag. The sound stuttered. I think to remember it were areas of large heat with some kind of blur-effects. It somehow made me feel happy when v0.9 fixed this issue (don't know if this was intended by you ^^).

Anyway, I can imagine you've been begged a thousend times to return to gpSP for PSP if thats enough. I did so as well and still do. Your last release was such a long time ago and that is what makes me say - it just would be wonderful to feel that way again I described. :D And it would be a shame if work like that will be simply dropped. Don't you feel that too? After all it's you who spent countless hours setting it up.

Exophase
February 8th, 2008, 22:15
I do get your point and understood for myself that features Takka added are totally pointless a long time ago.
What I didn't know was that users made you feel to implement these useless things in your releases.
Have there even been Takka releases before gpSP v0.9?

Yeah, he was doing them back then (hence the big disclaimer at the top of the readme pretty much telling him to stop.. it's kinda hilarious that this readme is bundled with his releases still)

Sure, TV-out support would be nice, Ad-hoc would be nice. But these are no vital things like optimizing emulation or compatibility like you always intended to do. These are the things I (and I'm sure many other users) always enjoyed about your releases. These are the things only you can offer because you are the man who can translate GBA operations best into PSP operations on the whole planet I guess.

I'm sure there are lots of better people but they would have probably written their own emulators before I did. @_@

If he does get ad hoc then props to him but I don't see any real signs of it.

Loading bars, as you already mentioned are useless to me too, as well as many other things he changed about the GUI. I even felt he messed it up because everything seemed to be clearly arranged to me.

Yes, I don't really get why he felt he had to rip it all apart like that and that really bothers me too (another reason why I can't just integrate his changes blindly). I get the feeling that it's all so he can superficially distance it from the releases I've done...

I totally enjoyed playing Metroid Fusion on my PSP. There were areas in that game where gpSP v0.8 used to make it lag. The sound stuttered. I think to remember it were areas of large heat with some kind of blur-effects. It somehow made me feel happy when v0.9 fixed this issue (don't know if this was intended by you ^^).

It's probably auto frameskip at work, rather than actual performance improvements. <3 auto frameskip

Anyway, I can imagine you've been begged a thousend times to return to gpSP for PSP if thats enough. I did so as well and still do. Your last release was such a long time ago and that is what makes me say - it just would be wonderful to feel that way again I described. :D And it would be a shame if work like that will be simply dropped. Don't you feel that too? After all it's you who spent countless hours setting it up.

Yeah, I really don't want to abandon it. I'm happy with what I've done and have hit more diminishing returns along the path I wanted to follow, but there's still a lot more I want to at least try.

Broadus
February 8th, 2008, 22:20
We love you, Exophase!

mathieulh
February 9th, 2008, 00:59
This is my first post on dcemu (I do not tend to go often on these forums) however after reading your posts, I felt like I had to post even if it is just to tell you how much I agree with your point of view. When I red your post, I remembered that pretty much the same things happened to me and the people I have worked with (noobs whining for releases, other noobs saying that OE/M33 ripoffs are better than the actual software, lamers thinking that we owe them anything at all, people mistaking me or my mailbox for some kind of hotline, or even people selling our releases and making profit over our hacks !)

Thankfully not everyone is like that on the psp scene and this is what keeps me from leaving it (at least at this time) as it would be sad for me and others to leave the people who entrusted their faith in us and are truthfully looking forward our future releases (for other reasons than personal gain)

I agree that the psp scene is mostly filled of people that only think of themselves before anyone else and that by such a fact the scene is kind of "rotten" Yet for the few people that put their faith in us, we have not left, and this despite the very time consumming and huge ammount of work that this task requires from us.

I wont lie by saying that we still have fun while codding and we love to make new discoveries which really make it seem like a quest to us. Development is pretty much a hobby and if it wasn't that fun we would have stopped long ago, especially considering that we do have lives, which is another thing most people forget about.

To be honest I never used Takka's "version" of gpsp and since I have red your initial readme asking Takka to stop his work, I have boycotted every of his releases and never used those, I most likely never will.

Your emulator is a true piece of art, and really impressed me when I first ran it, it is one of the best homebrew ever coded for the psp.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your message to reach the whole psp comunauty, and I hope and expect news and/or future releases from you.

Cheers from a humble homebrewer :)

Message to Takka : あなたの新しいGPSPは必要がない、も解放を止めて下さい。
何故がほかの新たなhomebrewを作れないのですか。

jas0nuk
February 9th, 2008, 01:21
Nice to see you posting here Exophase :) I'll be watching out for your upcoming releases with excitement :p

As for these gpSP kai releases, I find them pretty unstable, full of useless features, and buggy. Every release is just fixing the countless bugs and "tests" from the previous version.

And John Vattic, seriously, stop being an idiot.

FrozenIpaq
February 9th, 2008, 02:13
Exophase - well said (your complaints and opinions). I'd just like to thank you for making gpSP GPL - even though it has brought on these "unofficial" versions, you're able to set an example in the PSP scene.

This was a very common occurance (unofficial versions) within homebrew games and emulators, mainly stemming off of someone wanting more attention for little effort. It hurts to see this happen to you, someone of which many people respect and praise.

The PSP scene has been far from perfect over the years, however it takes brave developers like yourself to make change, or to at least instigate change. I recall PSMonkey (if I recall his name correctly) having a similar call out to the scene and had a very desired emulator that he was working on (N64) too. He was heard, and I hope you too will be heard. You're a great developer and you have my upmost respect whether you continue to try to improve gpSP or not (it's already more than we could've wished for :) )

Veskgar
February 9th, 2008, 08:41
Well, the best thing about this thread is that it has gotten the attention of MANY. So much so that other highly respected developers in the scene have taken the time to post comments which more or less concur with the views expressed by Exophase.

So while scores of homebrew users can argue and flame endlessly, the fact will always remain that the direction Exophase wants to take with development of HIS emulator needs to be respected and supported. Its actually not asking much.

gpSP 0.9 is still one of the most impressive and inspiring works of homebrew that the PSP has seen. The excitement and magic of playing a new update to gpSP is something so many look forward to.

I just hope its the respect, admiration, and appreciation that Exophase thinks of most as opposed to the negative.

jedikevin20
February 9th, 2008, 10:53
I understand your point exophase. You've made it for a really long time now. We really don't need to start the flaming every time takka makes a update. It really makes no sense. Its been at least 4 months and most likely alot longer since the flaming began and every time i see a takka release people began to flame and it gets worst when you post something exo. I'm on your side but popping in with these big speeches just brings up old wounds. I just don't understand why this stuff has to be brought back tot he surface like this every time. Somethings you just gotta let go and move on.

DarthPaul
February 9th, 2008, 14:56
I think the official versions are simply amazing, and I feel very excited every time I see something like "gpSP X.X released!", or any other official emulator updated. I really don't get the same joy when an Un-Official version is released, like this one for example. But still, I try them sometimes, and enjoy them. I don't think Takka is better than Exophase in any way, but I do feel like he's doing a good job adding little touches to this emulator while we wait for a new official release. I really loved the TV-Out support, it feels really nice to play GBA on my HDTV, something I never thought I would do. This is one of the things that I couldn't agreed with Exo. I know that playing GBA on Xbox or PC is better, but this is the PSP Scene, not the Xbox or PC's, and I don't think everyone has one of the mentioned platforms here. What else is a good addition? Hm... eh... honestly, I think that's the only feature I liked.

I don't think we're going to break up our "loyalty" with Exophase by downloading or trying this mock-up, it's just one single addition to the emulator, we already know that Exophase is the real developer.

I kinda agree with jedikevin20, I don't think this is the place to start flaming Takka.(or praising Exophase because he commented) You should show that respect by taking actions, not words. Go and donate something and give the man some motivation if you really want a new release coming from him. That's what I'm going to do as soon as I get my PayPal account confirmed. :)

Haha, jas0nuk and mathieulh here, it's a shame that mathieulh won't stay. :p

@Exophase: I know how you feel, those noobs adding you to ask you some dumb questions. I'm not a developer/coder, but believe me, I do. They're always adding me to ask me for $#!+ even if I'm just a normal user. I can't imagine how many people add you. But seriously, why don't you look at the positive side? My guess is that you have more fans here than what you have in the GP2X scene.

Anyways, I hope you really release the very awaited gPSP 1.0. And if you're getting a Slim, I hope you make some use of the extra-RAM it has.

PS: I feel lame posting my opinion here with so many big-brains like Exophase, Veskgar, Mathieulh, and Jas0nuk around.

bigdaddie
February 10th, 2008, 11:00
although i understand the feelings Exophase has about someone using his source and energy to make some minor additions i don't think he has a fair point. :confused:
Because the same goes for the developers from Sony who have brought us and continuing to bring us the original firmwares :thumbup:. In spite of the fact that people are using and editing their work. If they would follow the path Exophase has taken they would have stopped developing (took a hiatus). Not to mention the developers from Nintendo who gave us the GBA.
And to compare an open source Handheld community to the PSP community; that ofcourse are 2 totally different worlds :rofl:
Btw Exophase's gba emu is the best out there and i still use it to play Britney's dance beat ... seriously that game has remarkable good sound quality, you should try it :cool:
Have Fun :)

Tinnus
February 10th, 2008, 13:13
*ahem*. They pay the Sony and Nintendo programmers :)

But it's alright anyway, if he made the code GPL anyone can modify it and do what they want as long as they let the modificed code available. Of course, the MORALS of Takka releasing a version that logs dummy data to a stick (which is of no practical use whatsoever outside development), and the MORALS of news sites posting that, KNOWING that it's no use, is another story.

edit: actually *we* pay the Sony developers for them to develop the firmware when we buy the freaking console. Whether they consider it legal or not for us to tamper with the firmware code, I don't know; but I believe we should be able to use our machine to its fullest == homebrew.

downloaddownload
March 3rd, 2008, 04:12
Exophase just needs to get Psychiatric help first before worrying about all the people that are "noobs" bugging him about all kinds of crazy stuff. Every programmer has to face the same things but only he is the one bitching about it. I've spoken to him before and tried to raise his spirits up a little and he ended up being a complete asshole. Im done feeling bad for the guy.

kryst abegnalie
March 3rd, 2008, 05:58
PSP scene now filed with noobs all i say, lets support the hardwork that done by these great coders and dont flame them because they dont release another update, just appreciate what you have today, and lets wait if they release another updates on their emulators..

But still, i support you and i admit i've been one of your crappy noob that i IM you, sorry for that if i'm disturb you, im still using your emulator up to this day..

slik da relic
March 9th, 2008, 11:59
im usually reserved for these kind of chats, but i just wanna say a few things...1st off, i applaud every coder for every thing theyve ever done on the psp front... ive never used the same handheld for more than 2 years, and here i am, STILL usin my original psp since the 1st day it came out...

2nd, bein the 1st to post the ps1 game "ONE" on the internet, when i looked for weeks to dl it, only to see it in many incarnations only AFTER i posted it makes me (albeit on a very microscopic level) kinda understand what Exo is feelin... but i am for progress, and if Exo has stopped workin on the emu, then why not someone else take a chance and see if they CAN "improve" on the original... maybe he'll discover something that wasnt discovered in previous versions... i dont think we should seperate ourselves if we're tryin to get the best overall emu... we all want the same thing... one emu for each system that runs everything perfect!!! i used pspgenesis for months b4 dgen became better... same thing with uosnes and tyl... i think this gets too personal in my opinion, and we, the non coders, that know little or nothing, are just excited to see something's even bein worked on... coders will never understand that, bcuz theyre coders...lol... i hope one day u'll come back and work hard on ur emu, i still use and its fine for me, but i do look from time to time to see if there is something better... thats just the american way i guess...lol... but you are still a great and well respected coder no doubt.

da relic

wwboy
March 9th, 2008, 12:24
are there more roms supported?

AlphaDingDong
March 17th, 2008, 00:14
Well, seeing this little spat I have to say that I could think wither way.

If what Exophase is saying turns out to be true then Takka is an idiot and is more likely to add bugs than features. The downside to this argument is that I can't seem to find out where the bloody hell to download the official version. If anything, Takka is a whole hell of a lot better at distribution than Exophase. I can't find the official 3.3 on the dev blog or even on exophase.com. So if he wants people to download his version then..... (I know he said he doesn't care, but still....)

On the other hand, if Takka is actually doing something worthwhile here and adding actual features then I think there needs to be a little perspective applied. If Takka is 'legit' then everyone needs to stop and follow a simple little line that goes:

Nintendo made the GBA
Exophase made an emulator based on their work
Takka modified Exo's work

Something about a pot and a kettle and the absence of color?

No_one_in_particular
March 17th, 2008, 00:49
I think Exophase has already justified his reasoning, it's there to be read.

As for having trouble finding it, when in doubt go to dl.qj.net and search for gpsp. You're actually looking for the v0.9 release.

mogwaimon
June 26th, 2008, 11:38
Exophase, I can sympathize with your FF6 soundtrack stuff, that game was my absolute favorite as a kid, and it looks and sounds crappy on the GBA....Still, I'd like to play the GBA version at some point if only to experience the new dungeon and see how the new translation panned out, and it saddens me that your last official release had those graphic errors and such.

Still, take your time with the next release, do what you want with it, and don't let Takka get you down. How'd he get ahold of your code, anyways? Did he reverse-engineer what you had, or did you release the source, what?

EDIT: Oh, and AlphaDingDong, you'll find that with many emulators, none of the code is actually used from the systems they're emulating, except maybe the BIOS.The actual code is written by the emulator's coders, and is written in such a way that the program makes the computer think it's a SNES or GBA or what have you. Exophase didn't actually base his code off anything, he just wrote a program that replicated the behavior of a GBA. It's like how Linux can run Windows programs with Wine, but Linux has nothing to do with Windows.

Takka, on the other hand, apparently stole Exophase's code, which was written by Exophase, and modified it without crediting Exo. That is plagiarism, not Exo emulating the GBA.

Triggerman
June 26th, 2008, 11:44
Dude, I think you can stop hoping for a new release now. =(

mogwaimon
June 26th, 2008, 12:15
Dude, I think you can stop hoping for a new release now. =(

Well, there ARE other emulators, so it's not really the end of the world. Plus, Exo might just release a final build one day when he's ready, who knows?Of course it seems unlikely because some people are bashing the man..Personally, I think he should keep on trucking and put aside his frustrations, at least with Takka.With all those random people going so far as to call him for 'tech support', though, that's just ludicrous. I would have been really pissed myself

Still, whatever Exo wants to do, he'll do. You all have to remember that his services come free of charge, donations are completely optional, and while you have every legal right to slander and debase the man, if you were really grateful to him you wouldn't, because without him you wouldn't have fullspeed GBA emulation on the PSP right now.

B2K24
June 28th, 2008, 06:41
Exophase if you ever decide to release an updated version of gpSP
please do not worry about features the "masses" request or want. Also do not worry about what Takka has included with the UO releases. I will FULLY appreciate an updated version especially if it done with your perceptive and your ideas alone.
The author does not change how a book is written because of what people do say or don't.

If you change things you would do normally then it's not really your work unoffical or not.
If I ever get privileged enough to run an Exophase gpSP 1.0 someday I will be happy knowing that you didn't change for anyone and the end product is strictly your ideas, beliefs, perceptive, based on your experience as a developer as the product is a reflection on it's author.
The amount of net downloads is not as important as staying true to yourself.

Best of luck with everything and thank you for gpSP.

chuwii
July 26th, 2008, 03:26
Well well well. *__*

sorry couldnt help it but...
this "crap" is the shit :) its way better than the official gpSP ....and the guy who did the official let it drop long ago i think

argor
July 26th, 2008, 19:54
sorry couldnt help it but...
this "crap" is the shit :) its way better than the official gpSP ....and the guy who did the official let it drop long ago i think
no he just stop working on the psp version of gpsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GpSP

Exophase also has stop working on the psp verson of gpSP and is only now working on the gp2x and pandora (console) versions of gpSP

Triggerman
July 26th, 2008, 22:20

Which is a shame. I wish he'd continue working on the psp version.

Strongbadunit2
July 26th, 2008, 23:42
too bad I guess wee will never have multiplayer =[

Exophase
July 28th, 2008, 00:43

Are you the guy who put that on Wikipedia? Because anyone who follows the links given can see how badly misinterpreted that is...

argor
July 28th, 2008, 01:00
Are you the guy who put that on Wikipedia? Because anyone who follows the links given can see how badly misinterpreted that is...
nob i just see it when i was translating the Article i admit i did not check the References

maxipower90
August 1st, 2008, 03:31
why cant everyone get along :) just want that damn Golden Sun TLA to work with sound, see that Camelot for making it complicated to run, blame them lol.

and clearly Exophase didn't put that on Wiki, look at the size of the guys posts lol, there like essays .

Yes official updates are always great, and lets face it i couldn't care about the Kai's features, just compatibly. Ad hoc and the other features isn't what i want so if you are working on a 1.0 don't worry about Ad hoc its a feature that everyone gets excited about then no one uses.

im sorry if i offended you Exophase, i didn't know you were busy working on other emulators. i just thought you weren't bothered releasing updates, and therefore happy with people carrying on with were you left off. misunderstanding

rageteam1000
August 1st, 2008, 07:43
this is getting pointless.

bah
August 1st, 2008, 09:58
rageteam1000: I would say your post was the most pointless of all.
Until this one of course. :)