PDA

View Full Version : Capello gives 'PlayStation Culture' the boot

Shrygue
February 7th, 2008, 19:14
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181819)

Capello, famous for his hard-line approach to discipline, has given the England squad a number of new rules to abide by under his management.

According to the Daily Mail, they include:

A ban on the 'PlayStation culture'
A ban on visitors, including agents and friends, from the team hotel in Hertfordshire
Players must eat at the same table
They have to be on time for meals
No walking around in shorts and flip-flops. They must wear England track suits
instead and suits and ties to games
No mobile phones in public areas

"If Fabio Capello is that concerned about winning with England, he may have missed a trick by banning PlayStations," writes The Times' chief football correspondent, Martin Samuel.

"What happened to playing to your strengths? PlayStation was never the problem for England's footballers anyway. PlayStation, we're good at. If Steve McClaren could have found a way of challenging Croatia to a game of Donkey Kong, he might have stood a chance. No gadgets, Fabio? Big mistake. It is the football that needs banning. That is what baffles us."

Last year Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp said that 'Xbox culture' was damaging football, while West Ham goalkeeper Rob Green said that England's footballing failures were down to gaming. Maybe Green will get a call up to Capello's second England squad if the manager gets wind of his feelings on the matter.

Capello began his England tenure with a two-one victory over Switzerland at Wembley in a friendly match on Wednesday night, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

ElRazur
February 7th, 2008, 19:32
**** capello. May the playstation (culture) live long.

No_one_in_particular
February 7th, 2008, 19:33
How about just stop throwing thousands of pounds at every footy player and actually give them in an incentive to work for their position. I mean, who could really be that bothered being sat on the bench week-in week-out with your pay-slip been 5 figure sums ?

JKKDARK
February 7th, 2008, 19:49
I agree with Capello. PlayStation (PlayStation 3 mainly) are damaging the football association.

It is a nice decision for the England squad, they should play real systems like Xbox 360 :)

Accordion
February 7th, 2008, 22:01
I agree with Capello. PlayStation (PlayStation 3 mainly) are damaging the football association.

It is a nice decision for the England squad, they should play real systems like Xbox 360 :)

you do know that "playstation culture" is the reason the 360 and Wii exist… right?

JKKDARK
February 7th, 2008, 22:04
you do know that "playstation culture" is the reason the 360 and Wii exist… right?

No.

Wii culture exists because there were Gamecube, Nintendo 64, SNES, NES cultures. Before Sony.

F9zDark
February 7th, 2008, 23:38
No.

Wii culture exists because there were Gamecube, Nintendo 64, SNES, NES cultures. Before Sony.

No, Wii culture exists because Nintendo was desperate to try and reclaim their position as Number 1 (which they haven't had since the SNES) so they decided to make the cheapest, least advanced console, and market it to the demographic that hasn't been touched by console gaming EVER, and prayed to god that they came out on top.

The only reason Wii culture exists, is again, because the Playstation Brand has held the Number 1 position since 1995.

JKKDARK
February 7th, 2008, 23:57
No, Wii culture exists because Nintendo was desperate to try and reclaim their position as Number 1 (which they haven't had since the SNES) so they decided to make the cheapest, least advanced console, and market it to the demographic that hasn't been touched by console gaming EVER, and prayed to god that they came out on top.

The only reason Wii culture exists, is again, because the Playstation Brand has held the Number 1 position since 1995.

That's only a prediction, and I don't care. Without the PlayStation brand, Sega would get a bigger fanbase with its Saturn and you don't know what would happen in the sixth generation and later.

jamotto
February 8th, 2008, 00:42
He means ALL gaming devices, not just ones made by Sony.

F9zDark
February 8th, 2008, 00:43
That's only a prediction, and I don't care. Without the PlayStation brand, Sega would get a bigger fanbase with its Saturn and you don't know what would happen in the sixth generation and later.

Prediction? No its the truth. Both Sony and Microsoft took a gamble by making a true next generation console. Microsoft, however, succeeded in earning profits initially by using the cheapest of the cheap manufacturing principles and materials.

Nintendo, however, went all on the cheap, cheap hardware, cheap software, cheap peripherals (Wii-motes don't even have a built-in Lithium Ion battery... Why? Because of cost, plain and simple).

Nintendo did what they did because they knew if they didn't earn big bucks this generation, they wouldn't be around for the next generation. So rather than deliver a truly next-generation experience, which HD output, Dolby Digital Surround sound, comparable graphics, etc, they wanted to deliver the cheapest, easiest to get into experience, for the www.pogo.com "generation" of gamers (ie, everyone except a Hardcore gamer).

Its not a prediction, its fact. Because, why else would a company, who has continually revolutionized gaming with superior graphics and hardware, all of sudden, drop this mentality in favor of inferior hardware, inferior graphics, inferior control scheme?

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 00:56
inferior graphics? So it means the Saturn wasn't a fifth generation console for you? Because the Saturn didn't have the true 3D power like the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation.

F9zDark
February 8th, 2008, 01:01
inferior graphics? So it means the Saturn wasn't a fifth generation console for you? Because the Saturn didn't have the true 3D power like the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation.

I am not talking about the Saturn you retard. Never was. Learn to read properly then come back here.

DPyro
February 8th, 2008, 02:41
Who cares about Sega? All their consoles were failures.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 02:58
I am not talking about the Saturn you retard. Never was. Learn to read properly then come back here.
I was talking about a similar situation, it was just an example.

owned.

Who cares about Sega? All their consoles were failures.
Do you have the sources? Thank you.

DPyro
February 8th, 2008, 03:13
The whole reason their not making hardware anymore is because they can't make a successful console.

EDIT: I should say, the only console they made that was semi-successful is the Sega Genesis.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 03:25
The whole reason their not making hardware anymore is because they can't make a successful console.

EDIT: I should say, the only console they made that was semi-successful is the Sega Genesis.

Atari is not making hardware anymore. It means the Atari 2600 wasn't a success? :rolleyes:

Again, post source because your comment seems false.

DPyro
February 8th, 2008, 03:47
Atari also only made 1 successful console, then proceeded to run their company into the ground.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 04:07
But you said:

$n!pR immortal words.

Explain that :rolleyes:

splodger15
February 8th, 2008, 10:08
I fully back Capello for England manager because he isn't afraid to drop some of the big gun England players. The players are paid far to much money so playing for the country means nothing weather they play well or not they just think of the big money at the end of the week.

F9zDark
February 8th, 2008, 16:06
I was talking about a similar situation, it was just an example.

owned.

Do you have the sources? Thank you.

Uh no not owned. The PS3 is successful unlike the Saturn. Having sold 10.5 million consoles in its first year on the market.

Don't bring up "similar" situations to avoid my discussion; it only shows that you know I owned your dumb german tart ass and that you have nothing else to say about it.

ElRazur
February 8th, 2008, 16:33
God, too much tension in here. Do you guys wanna get a room and relief each other or something?

It is a bit sad when people think it is cook to come into a ps3 section of the forum to stir things up.

Accordion
February 8th, 2008, 16:45

not really. the Wii exists because the PS2 proved that casual alternative games sell very well, with the eyetoy, singstar, Buzz, etc

Gaming culture in general owes a great deal to what the playstation did for the image of gaming in the press. Playstation was desirable, and Playstation 2 was innovative. Both have brought gaming into the mainstream more than any other consoles except maybe the DS and Wii, but these examples are [to me] clever implementation of proven ideas. It has paid off however.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 16:45
Uh no not owned. The PS3 is successful unlike the Saturn. Having sold 10.5 million consoles in its first year on the market.

Don't bring up "similar" situations to avoid my discussion; it only shows that you know I owned your dumb german tart ass and that you have nothing else to say about it.
PlayStation 3 sold the same number as the Dreamcast and only one million more than the Saturn. So I don't think you can use the word successful for the PlayStation 3.
I said a perfect example, because you said the Wii is not a next-gen console (seventh generation), and I was showing that there were systems with inferior graphics than the systems from the same generation.

Also how can you say PlayStation 3 is successful when you have systems like Xbox 360 and Wii which sold 17.7 million and 20.13 million consoles repectively?

F9zDark
February 8th, 2008, 16:55
PlayStation 3 sold the same number as the Dreamcast and only one million more than the Saturn. So I don't think you can use the word successful for the PlayStation 3.
I said a perfect example, because you said the Wii is not a next-gen console (seventh generation), and I was showing that there were systems with inferior graphics than the systems from the same generation.

Also how can you say PlayStation 3 is successful when you have systems like Xbox 360 and Wii which sold 17.7 million and 20.13 million consoles repectively?

Its successful because in the same time period (1 year) it has sold more than the than Xbox360. It is successful because it isn't plagued with a 33% failure rate as the other console; which has costed Microsoft billions of dollars to rectify.

DPyro
February 8th, 2008, 16:57
Playing the console game is not a race, its a marathon.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 17:15
Its successful because in the same time period (1 year) it has sold more than the than Xbox360.
No, it's one year and near 3 months. The PlayStation 3 was launched in November 19th 2006.
Plus the Wii was launched later than the PlayStation 3 and it sold 20+ million units.

It is successful because it isn't plagued with a 33% failure rate as the other console; which has costed Microsoft billions of dollars to rectify.
It makes no sense because it's not a problem for companies like Microsoft and Sony which have more successful products than their video games consoles.

F9zDark
February 8th, 2008, 17:29
It makes no sense because it's not a problem for companies like Microsoft and Sony which have more successful products than their video games consoles.

It makes perfect sense; Microsoft would have rather make everything as cheaply as possible and the pay for it out the ass later with hardware failures; Sony on the other hand paid for it up front with losing profits and delivered the most reliable and most high quality product out of all 3.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 17:43
It makes perfect sense; Microsoft would have rather make everything as cheaply as possible and the pay for it out the ass later with hardware failures; Sony on the other hand paid for it up front with losing profits and delivered the most reliable and most high quality product out of all 3.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Quality games over quality hardware.

Thanks, again, for trying.

F9zDark
February 8th, 2008, 18:25
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Quality games over quality hardware.

Thanks, again, for trying.

I'd much rather have a high quality piece of hardware that works day in and day out, doesn't require me to buy a new one every year or ship it off to be repaired every 6 months than have high quality games.

yaustar
February 8th, 2008, 18:30
This is going off-topic. Please take this to another thread or PMs please.

JKKDARK
February 8th, 2008, 18:43
I'd much rather have a high quality piece of hardware that works day in and day out, doesn't require me to buy a new one every year or ship it off to be repaired every 6 months than have high quality games.
Do you have the source to say that? Do you know to the 17 million Xbox 360 users? Why it still sells a lot?

With that comment, you're acting like you're not a gamer. It seems you prefer to watch blu-ray movies.