PDA

View Full Version : Mature-rated games declining rapidly

Shrygue
February 7th, 2008, 19:25
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181744)

The Entertainment Software Rating Board says that the percentage of Mature-rated games released halved from 2005 to 2007.

In a winter newsletter, Patricia Vance, president of the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), said that the amount of Mature-rated titles is declining each year despite the fact that more and more games are being released.

"The ESRB also had the biggest year ever in 2007, having assigned 1,563 ratings, a 22% increase over the prior year. And, as you'll see below, 94% of the ratings we assigned were for games appropriate for ages 13 or younger. It's never been easier to find family-friendly games that everyone can play together.

"While a handful of M-rated titles tend to garner a majority of media attention, the E (Everyone 6+) rating category continues to dominate. The E category saw the largest increase over last year, accounting for nearly 60% of ratings assigned overall.

"The M (Mature 17+) category represented 6% of the overall ratings assigned, down from 8% in 2006 and 12% in 2005.

"The E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) and T (Teen 13+) categories accounted for 15% and 20% respectively."

JKKDARK
February 7th, 2008, 19:51
I really don't care about ratings. But the Mature games that I play are Silent Hill, Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil mainly.

ojdon
February 7th, 2008, 22:47
I am wondering if this has got anything to do with the Wii's dominence(sp?) But then again, we still do see the odd old "hit" with the 18+ sign on it.

kcajblue
February 8th, 2008, 01:31
like jkk said, i dont care about ratings.
i just care if the game is fun or not.

and the only reason games are "declining rapidly" is because people think they are too gory or whatever they say and pull them off the shelves.

ChaosCrypt
February 8th, 2008, 09:37
like jkk said, i dont care about ratings.
i just care if the game is fun or not.

and the only reason games are "declining rapidly" is because people think they are too gory or whatever they say and pull them off the shelves.

I disagree.

Its not the gore-factor, its the fact that with Manhunt, Bully and GTA all having to fight to be able to release the game that they designed, whats the point ?

You put millions into the design of a game, then cant get any of the money back because some idiot on a board of censors is too busy yelling "Think of the Children!!!!""

Much safer to do an EA and just churn out tasteless pap.

Thats why

quzar
February 8th, 2008, 17:27
I disagree.

Its not the gore-factor, its the fact that with Manhunt, Bully and GTA all having to fight to be able to release the game that they designed, whats the point ?

You put millions into the design of a game, then cant get any of the money back because some idiot on a board of censors is too busy yelling "Think of the Children!!!!""

Much safer to do an EA and just churn out tasteless pap.

Thats why

As opposed to tasteless interactive snuff?

Broadus
February 8th, 2008, 22:16
It says the PERCENTAGE halved. Obviously this could mean that a big crapload of games were released that weren't very violent, but there's still plenty of M games.
Even if there is less...
Is it coincidence? OR CONSPIRACY!?

SoulReaver911
February 9th, 2008, 04:37
What the big deal? 20 years ago back in the original Nintendo days almost every game was either censored, or didn't need to be simply because Nintendo didn't want gore on their system.

Most games I have are mature, but that was an age ago it seems. I don't think the censorship is anywhere near as strong as it was a couple years ago, at least not in games. So a Mature game of 5 years ago may very be applicable to be an E game now. At least, it seems that way.

And of course there's always the game that likes to push the frontier like Manhunt 2 (great game I hear) that will push censoring to be at least a little more flexible, if only a little bit simply because there has never been anything like it before.

However, I can admit to being wrong, but it sure seems to be this way.