PDA

View Full Version : My xbox story.

shadowprophet
February 10th, 2008, 02:07
I wake up a couple of days ago and find much to my despair that my 360 would no loner read a disc. "sniper if you are reading this, You where right. I suppose most 360's will die eventually" It was one of the new falcon units. It was a premium sku that came with the marvel ultimate alliance and forza motor sport game that no one ever plays.

So I called microsoft and they wanted to send me one of their little boxes and of course I had no choice. So they gave my some sort of number to write down while I waited for the box to come in the mail.

It's a well known fact that shadow is impatient. So I decided to dig around, until I found my receipt much to my joy I discovered that the 90 day return policy hadn't expired yet on my original purchases, So I decided to take it back to the store but sadly they didn't have any premium units left. all they had was one arcade unit and one elite unit.

I asked the woman at the counter if I could swap the hard drive in the elite for my original hard drive because it had about three hundred dollars of content on it. The woman asked her manager, the manager wouldn't allow it and so my impatience got the best of me. " I reasoned, Well the elite does have the 120 gig hard drive. So I decided to go ahead and swap it for the elite unit. Which cost me nothing to swap, The manager said it was nice of me to be so patient with the new clerk who literally took two and a half hours getting to me because it was a really long line and it was her first day on the job.
So The extra cost of the elite was waved :D

At this time. I was unaware that I could simply sign into live and reclaim my gamer score. That was the first bit of good news I had today. Later on I decided to browse market place to look at all the content I thought I had lost.

Strangely. All those glorious little check marks that indicated I had purchased those items before where still there because I had migrated my gamer score over to my new elite.

I'm so happy. Now I have a brand new elite with the 120 gig hard drive. All my market place content, my full gamer score. And all I lost in this transaction was two and a half hours of my life i'll never have back and all my game saves. Not bad.

Its been a good day :)

Shades

Shadowblind
February 10th, 2008, 03:07
I wake up a couple of days ago and find much to my despair that my 360 would no loner read a disc. "sniper if you are reading this, You where right. I suppose most 360's will die eventually" It was one of the new falcon units. It was a premium sku that came with the marvel ultimate alliance and forza motor sport game that no one ever plays.

So I called microsoft and they wanted to send me one of their little boxes and of course I had no choice. So they gave my some sort of number to write down while I waited for the box to come in the mail.

It's a well known fact that shadow is impatient. So I decided to dig around, until I found my receipt much to my joy I discovered that the 90 day return policy hadn't expired yet on my original purchases, So I decided to take it back to the store but sadly they didn't have any premium units left. all they had was one arcade unit and one elite unit.

I asked the woman at the counter if I could swap the hard drive in the elite for my original hard drive because it had about three hundred dollars of content on it. The woman asked her manager, the manager wouldn't allow it and so my impatience got the best of me. " I reasoned, Well the elite does have the 120 gig hard drive. So I decided to go ahead and swap it for the elite unit. Which cost me nothing to swap, The manager said it was nice of me to be so patient with the new clerk who literally took two and a half hours getting to me because it was a really long line and it was her first day on the job.

At this time. I was unaware that I could simply sign into live and reclaim my gamer score. That was the first bit of good news I had today. Later on I decided to browse market place to look at all the content I thought I had lost.

Strangely. All those glorious little check marks that indicated I had purchased those items before where still there because I had migrated my gamer score over to my new elite.

I'm so happy. Now I have a brand new elite with the 120 gig hard drive. All my market place content, my full gamer score. And all I lost in this transaction was two and a half hours of my life i'll never have back and all my game saves. Not bad.

Shades

Dang, within 90 days o_0

I guess im one of the lucky ones; had mine for over a year now. Heres to hoping it doesn't die tommorow :o

ICE
February 10th, 2008, 03:35
Did you get a receipt on the new one? Dont lose it if you did lol.

SnesR0X
February 10th, 2008, 03:43
wow that's not a bad deal at all
I would have gotten a mem card and copied the game saves to it though, but hey you can't go wrong with an extra 100 gig

Man
February 10th, 2008, 04:44
Thats pretty sweet, when i sent mine away to Microsoft i was going to buy the elite and then just sell the one that i got back from microsoft, but it came back before i could buy a new one !

Eviltaco64
February 10th, 2008, 07:39
Good story.

In the end you get a superior console thats black. I wish that was my case.

WhizzBang
February 10th, 2008, 18:26
Shadowprophet, do your XBox Live Arcade games work when you are not logged in to XBox Live?

A friend of mine who had similar problems now finds this to be the case. We think the games must be registered to the original box they were downloaded to and so will only work if connected to XBox Live and confirming the user is the person who purchased the games, even if it is not the same machine.

Triv1um
February 10th, 2008, 19:16
Lucky.

Ashame about the game saves, but it sounds worth it.

ExcruciationX
February 10th, 2008, 20:19
So, you can re-match me now, shadow? :p

Accordion
February 10th, 2008, 20:31
Is no one else disgusted with the need to send your unit away for repair and be without a console for weeks?

Some may know that i went through 4 PSPs to get a screen with less than 20 stuck pixels, but the return service was a next day delivery exchange by courier.
That was a big problem, but the service was so good i could not complain, i simply phoned up gave them my serial number and address and chose a day for exchange with the next day as an option every time i called.

It seems the 360 seriously needs a design overhaul to fix the problems, anyone know if your 3 year warranty gets renewed each console- it should.

Shadowblind
February 10th, 2008, 20:39
Is no one else disgusted with the need to send your unit away for repair and be without a console for weeks?

Some may know that i went through 4 PSPs to get a screen with less than 20 stuck pixels, but the return service was a next day delivery exchange by courier.
That was a big problem, but the service was so good i could not complain, i simply phoned up gave them my serial number and address and chose a day for exchange with the next day as an option every time i called.

It seems the 360 seriously needs a design overhaul to fix the problems, anyone know if your 3 year warranty gets renewed each console- it should.

Easily the worst part of the 360, and by far the most annoying. I'm just glad that the 90 day plan is now three years, but still....

In fact, my friends Xbox just died today. I'm hearing wayyy too much of this. MS, get your act together; just put rubber on the memory cores. That will fix the most common problem.

The memory cores get microscopic cracks from age, and if they do, the rubber will melt into the cracks, thus repairing it. My brother did it to my old broken box, and now we are both happily playing TF2 on XBL.

Triv1um
February 10th, 2008, 22:09
Yeah, 360 do suck for there reliabilty but in all fairness. They aint a bad console when there working.

I wouldnt mind picking me up another 360, but with my PS3 i wont be able to afford much games.

shadowprophet
February 11th, 2008, 04:22
this, sound awful. And i didnt want to say it. it makes me sound like a whiny 360 fan boy. or a flat out liar:(

either way, it seems my xbox story didnt end last night :(
this morning I go to log on to my shiny new elite. and the damned thing is already red ringed :mad: I was so disgusted and angy. I threw it all back into it's box took it to the store and got my money back...

I have yet to decide if I will get another 360. i'm still very upset about my recent luck with them. I may just get a ps3, or better yet buy a whole bunch of wii stuff..

im not dissing the 360. while I had mine and it worked I loved it more then I have ever loved a console. But they are just too delicate.. How can a console like the 360 be aimed at the hard core gamer?

A hard core gamer plays his games as long as he wants untill 'he decides to stop.
The 360 it seems just wasnt designed to do all nighter sessions..
And I'm sorry, But if I spend four hundred and seventy two dollars on a console, it had damned well better play a ******* game as long as I want to play it!

no... no.. we are hard core gamers not baby siters, we should be able to play the hell out of our consoles for as long as we want and not have to worry about the read ring of death..

I refuse. no more 360's for me. :(

my sig,.. I will keep it as a reminder of my lost love the 360.

4290. it is. And 4290. It shall always be.

ICE
February 11th, 2008, 04:30
Holy crap dude. When I said to hang on to your receipt I was just joking.. Good thing you did. That is absolutely nuts though! How can a system break that much?

shadowprophet
February 11th, 2008, 04:33
Holy crap dude. When I said to hang on to your receipt I was just joking.. Good thing you did. That is absolutely nuts though! How can a system break that much?
i'm not sure bro, but im irate about it :(

I just cant take having to worry about when the next 360 I own will red ring.

no more for me thanks. I'll stick with the wii or maybe move on to the ps3 in time, i guess :(

ICE
February 11th, 2008, 04:34
Ive heard some rumors that ps3 may drop to $300 in the near future... If that happens I'll see you on psn :P

ExcruciationX
February 11th, 2008, 05:04
I guess no more Halo 3 matches...

shadowprophet
February 11th, 2008, 05:24
I guess no more Halo 3 matches...
Dont worry bro, I may still yet get another 360 some day, but im not going to be jumping off the deep end with four plus benjamin purchases any time soon on a console that is fated to red ring on me :(
but nothing is forever, i will be back on live in time ;)

ExcruciationX
February 11th, 2008, 05:56
Oh, okay.

I do have a Wii, but it's not connected to the internet.

SnesR0X
February 11th, 2008, 06:14
Dont worry bro, I may still yet get another 360 some day, but im not going to be jumping off the deep end with four plus benjamin purchases any time soon on a console that is fated to red ring on me :(
but nothing is forever, i will be back on live in time ;)

Shades, I don't mean anything against you but don't you think you're jumping ship a bit early? My friend has gone through four, I'm on my second, and I heard a guy went through 9. If you loved you 360, isn't it worth it to try another? I know it's very possible that it could happen again, hell it could happen the first time you turn it on, but Microsoft is there to fix it. I sent in my broken one and got it back in 5 days flat, no charges in any way whatsoever.

I just don't want you to miss out some great games that deserved to be played....

shadowprophet
February 11th, 2008, 06:30
Shades, I don't mean anything against you but don't you think you're jumping ship a bit early? My friend has gone through four, I'm on my second, and I heard a guy went through 9. If you loved you 360, isn't it worth it to try another? I know it's very possible that it could happen again, hell it could happen the first time you turn it on, but Microsoft is there to fix it. I sent in my broken one and got it back in 5 days flat, no charges in any way whatsoever.

I just don't want you to miss out some great games that deserved to be played....
The problem is im just so angry that i got burnt a second time so quicky. I just need a break from all the breaking down. :(

I'll get another 360 in time. im just not in a hurry right now. it's a burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me, Kind of thing. I just dont want to be burned again right now :(

i'm still a 360 fan. And i'm not going to start dissing them or anything. it's just im so frustrated right now. i cant even comprehend getting another 360 at the moment.

Triv1um
February 11th, 2008, 08:30
Holy batman Shadow, thanks for changing my mind about a 360. What a joke.

Just get a PS3 thats a console to last my good friend. (please dear god, no console wars)

dejkirkby
February 11th, 2008, 10:31
I have 2 PS3's and am more than happy.

ninja9393
February 11th, 2008, 13:27
wow that really sucks shadow

only problem i've ever had with my 360 is that i got the 3 red lights but i returned it about a year ago and no problems

Napalm-Death
February 11th, 2008, 14:19
Holy batman Shadow, thanks for changing my mind about a 360. What a joke.

Just get a PS3 thats a console to last my good friend. (please dear god, no console wars)

Wait until JKKDark comes back. =(

BrooksyX
February 11th, 2008, 15:09
Congrats man, thats why actually purchased the in store warranty on my xbox. Usually don't but you can't tell on those 360s. Only downside is that now all of your content will only work if you are logged into live. Microsoft needs to fix there stupid DMR stuff.

edit- Never mind sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I am on my 3rd 360 so I am not to happy about that, but my current 360 is showing some promise and if things go bad I still have like 8 months on my in store warranty.

Accordion
February 11th, 2008, 15:54
Ouch!

There must be some action against Microsoft for this, extended warranties dont offer anything if you must constantly change consoles.

As for a PS3, you'll love it. though try and get PS2 capable machine for the upscaling if you have any PS2 games [surely everyone does?] PSP remote play works great, and the PSN has some very good games to download.

Hopefully there might be a price cut or updated model by the time MGS4 is released.

@dejkirkby
you have two PS3s ?

ICE
February 11th, 2008, 16:29
I, personally, will never own a 360 for this exact reason. Being forced to buy a second and even third console in under a year is just unacceptable. I dont care about the "great games" because your system is likely to stop working anyways...

ExcruciationX
February 11th, 2008, 20:29
I, personally, will never own a 360 for this exact reason. Being forced to buy a second and even third console in under a year is just unacceptable. I dont care about the "great games" because your system is likely to stop working anyways...
ICE, all RROD cases are under a three year warranty. You don't have to buy a new one every time.

ICE
February 11th, 2008, 20:34
Its still ridiculous. Im not going to buy from a company that is that pathetic. They cant even make a console that lasts a day in some cases.

ExcruciationX
February 11th, 2008, 21:07
Its still ridiculous. Im not going to buy from a company that is that pathetic. They cant even make a console that lasts a day in some cases.
I hope I don't jinx the 360 just by saying this.

My console has been working fine. No problems to speak of.

Accordion
February 11th, 2008, 21:17
as i said earlier, the 3 year warranty is pathetic because you still need to send your console away. You should not be without your purchase for a matter that is beyond your control.

Again, is the three year warranty renewed when you have it fixed?

Triv1um
February 11th, 2008, 21:47
Yeah, buying a console you know might have to be sent away is stupid.

You want the security, like the PS3. I havent heard of any problems with the PS3.

BrooksyX
February 11th, 2008, 23:17
The only thing that slightly excites me about the PS3 is a new Twisted Metal game. Why buy a system if you can't play any good games. Its worth taking the risk for all the good 360 games.

Accordion
February 11th, 2008, 23:38
The only thing that slightly excites me about the PS3 is a new Twisted Metal game. Why buy a system if you can't play any good games. Its worth taking the risk for all the good 360 games.

this argument is based on fanboy opinion and is very wrong.[and old]

Resistance, Motorstorm, Uncharted, Ratchet, Warhawk, Pixeljunk Monsters, Everyday Shooter, FLow, plus all the third party titles provide plenty of games, all of high quality. CoD4, DMC4, Burnout, UT3, are all great third party titles that dont suffer the usual developer/publisher laziness that results in poor ports. All but CoD4 are actually superior on the PS3.

Team ICO project 3, MGS4, and LBP should be reason enough for [real] gamers in the coming months.

gdf
February 11th, 2008, 23:49

Shades

Yeah, those little ticks kick ass. I only have @ 1.5 G of space left because of my 2 Xbox Originals, but I might get Ninja Gaiden, so I can delete one of the old ones, keep my save and get it again some other time (obviously with the MONSTER download time, but hey-ho).

ICE
February 11th, 2008, 23:59
PS3 is a little weak on games now but it wont last.. Its already turning around. Pfft at least it will run for a few minutes..

Napalm-Death
February 12th, 2008, 00:17

I'm amazed that you could say something this stupid.

SSaxdude
February 12th, 2008, 00:20
My launch day 360 finally crapped out last December. Luckily I got it back early January.

Shadowblind
February 12th, 2008, 00:51
this, sound awful. And i didnt want to say it. it makes me sound like a whiny 360 fan boy. or a flat out liar:(

either way, it seems my xbox story didnt end last night :(
this morning I go to log on to my shiny new elite. and the damned thing is already red ringed :mad: I was so disgusted and angy. I threw it all back into it's box took it to the store and got my money back...

I have yet to decide if I will get another 360. i'm still very upset about my recent luck with them. I may just get a ps3, or better yet buy a whole bunch of wii stuff..

im not dissing the 360. while I had mine and it worked I loved it more then I have ever loved a console. But they are just too delicate.. How can a console like the 360 be aimed at the hard core gamer?

A hard core gamer plays his games as long as he wants untill 'he decides to stop.
The 360 it seems just wasnt designed to do all nighter sessions..
And I'm sorry, But if I spend four hundred and seventy two dollars on a console, it had damned well better play a ******* game as long as I want to play it!

no... no.. we are hard core gamers not baby siters, we should be able to play the hell out of our consoles for as long as we want and not have to worry about the read ring of death..

I refuse. no more 360's for me. :(

my sig,.. I will keep it as a reminder of my lost love the 360.

4290. it is. And 4290. It shall always be.

I've had mine since its release and I'm only on my second, and my brother fixed my old 360 in a snap. Don't forgo the greatest gaming system ever made just yet.

oh and gdf, Ninja Gaiden is DEFINATEly worth it, if a little annoying :o

Eviltaco64
February 12th, 2008, 01:47
Once again, I say that almost all my friends have had to replace their 360's at least once. If mine craps out, well, I dont know, the upcoming release of Brawl makes me need the Wii

P.S. - I think the only reason my 360 still works is because it hasnt been in heavy use. I use my modded Xbox more (I can play almost every console and many arcade games through very stable emulators from 2006 and back [and of course Xbox games {free if I can find them online} :p], excluding any DC/GC/PS2 exclusives). And, could you believe this!? A web browser, Youtube, AND the ability to put DivX/Xvid movies on your HDD!? GOLLY GEE, I SURE HOPE IT'S SUCCESSOR GETS THIS :rofl:!!!

If my 360 dies, it either gets one more chance or its Wii Time!!! (big hammer comes down from nowhere with the Samba De Amigo Monkey dancing around with Ryu and Ken)

I could also fix my 360 with ease if it did break (providing the CPU didnt melt into the motherboard). But I cant stand hardware failures, especially from a video game console.

ExcruciationX
February 12th, 2008, 01:59
Modded xboxes are the shit. I had to sell mine a year ago for spare cash, but I'll buy one once I graduate from 10th grade.

Eviltaco64
February 12th, 2008, 02:26
Modded xboxes are the shit. I had to sell mine a year ago for spare cash, but I'll buy one once I graduate from 10th grade.

10th Grade? I'm in 10th grade as well (still doing 9th grade English, but that's because I've nearly skipped a grade)...
Also, Modded Xbox's have gotten even better from a year ago. CPS3 Emulation mutha fukcas!!

wolfpack
February 12th, 2008, 04:35
You didnt know xbox live saves what you downloaded for future use in case if anything happens? man i knew that and im hardly on the thing anymore though i think ill try to get on again sometime soon...

BrooksyX
February 12th, 2008, 05:46
this argument is based on fanboy opinion and is very wrong.[and old]

Resistance, Motorstorm, Uncharted, Ratchet, Warhawk, Pixeljunk Monsters, Everyday Shooter, FLow, plus all the third party titles provide plenty of games, all of high quality. CoD4, DMC4, Burnout, UT3, are all great third party titles that dont suffer the usual developer/publisher laziness that results in poor ports. All but CoD4 are actually superior on the PS3.

Team ICO project 3, MGS4, and LBP should be reason enough for [real] gamers in the coming months.

Again none of those first party games excite me and all the 3rd party games run just as well on the 360 or on the pc. Xbox live is superior to PS3 online. Also I could also care less about MGS4, never been a fan of the series and I probably won't even pick it up if it ever makes it way to the 360 unles I could get a steal on it in a bargain bin or something.

Now that being said I will probably eventually get a ps3 just for its blue-ray drive. Especially with the recent news of it being hacked. I really think a PS3 media center/ ps3 cfw would kick ass.

ExcruciationX
February 12th, 2008, 07:21
10th Grade? I'm in 10th grade as well (still doing 9th grade English, but that's because I've nearly skipped a grade)...
Also, Modded Xbox's have gotten even better from a year ago. CPS3 Emulation mutha fukcas!!
So, you're 14 or 15?

CPS3 is arcade machine related, correct? I haven't payed much attention to the Xbox scene much (because I don't have one).

Accordion
February 12th, 2008, 10:58
I've had mine since its release and I'm only on my second, and my brother fixed my old 360 in a snap. Don't forgo the greatest gaming system ever made just yet.

oh and gdf, Ninja Gaiden is DEFINATEly worth it, if a little annoying :o

the PS2 is the greatest gaming system. Dont compare american success to worldwide.

your "I'm only on my second " comment is scary.

ninja9393
February 12th, 2008, 13:46
let's turn the conversation around, the wii doesn't really break :p

see no 360 or PS3 talk in this post

Accordion
February 12th, 2008, 18:07
http://consumerist.com/355519/microsoft-has-no-answer-for-their-broken-xbox-live-drm

ah.

ICE
February 12th, 2008, 18:27
let's turn the conversation around, the wii doesn't really break :p

see no 360 or PS3 talk in this post

Lol I have 2 Wiis in my house and neither has broken. How many people with 2 360's can say that..

Eviltaco64
February 12th, 2008, 18:41
So, you're 14 or 15?

CPS3 is arcade machine related, correct? I haven't payed much attention to the Xbox scene much (because I don't have one).

14 and yeah, CPS3 is the arcade machine for games like Street Fighter III.

Xport just recently updated their emulators (NeoGenesis supports roms larger than 4MB now).

Surreal64XXX got updated.

ZSnexbox has also been updated a lot as well as XBMC which just got an update 2 days ago.

Shadowblind
February 13th, 2008, 00:43
the PS2 is the greatest gaming system. Dont compare american success to worldwide.

your "I'm only on my second " comment is scary.

american success has nothing to do with shear enjoyment. Don't you know?

it should be scary. just like backyard baseball and apples.

ExcruciationX
February 13th, 2008, 01:11
I thought Surreal64 was dead?

Eviltaco64
February 13th, 2008, 01:37
I thought Surreal64 was dead?

That's the real Surreal64.
Surreal64xxx got another update (Beta 5).
The author says it was the last one too.