PDA

View Full Version : are linkers endangered specie?

fhy
February 10th, 2008, 20:17
hello! I use both a GBA and a DS linker, and I'm made great use of homebrews like Moonshell, Colors and DSOrganize, to the point that my DS Lite is now my personnal assistant at work and it as aroused some curiosity :D
but here these days are hard for homebrew lovers because Nintendo in my country has threatened linker retailers and claimed to justice that linkers are only used for piracy, and also that they are using copyrighted material.
I know easily how to prove the first part is right, but what about the second part? Could M3, Supercard, and all cards be stopped because they are using illegal code to boot? The hacking that allowed launching DS code, even a simple homebrew code, is prohibited? I'd be very worried if nintendo managed to put all DS scene to stop. They could develop some kind of official linker with authorized (and costly) apps, but it won't be as diverse that what a free scene can give.

If some experts could explain if this threat is serious, or even worse, or if it is impossible to attack the linkers themselves. thank you!

RaiDesu
February 21st, 2008, 00:23
Probably not illegal code... But they do need to use the Nintendo Encryption, and they use something similar to Nintendo Hardware. In all reality, Nintendo cartridges were probably reverse engineered to figure out how to make linkers...etc.