PDA

View Full Version : Universal Drops HD-DVD Exclusivity

F9zDark
February 11th, 2008, 19:21

TheGamersThought.com has reported that Universal Studios will no longer support HD DVD exclusively as per EGM's March 2008 issue. Picture of the story covered in EGM's magazine has been scanned by TheGamersThought.com

Full Article available here: http://www.thegamersthought.com/ (Second article, after the Netflix Going Blu Article)

Looks like this format war will be over sooner than we all thought... That leaves 1 major studio backing HD-DVD...

Gizmo356
February 11th, 2008, 21:49
HD DVD<Blu-Ray :)

Triv1um
February 11th, 2008, 21:50
More good news.

Keep em' coming.

mcdougall57
February 11th, 2008, 22:08
hd-dvd will kick the bucket soon no doubt but its obvious the 360 will bring out a blue ray player for roughly the same price

jdnation
February 11th, 2008, 22:16
Today Netflix announced blu-ray exclusivity for online rentals, and Best Buy have also announced that they will push the blu-ray format over HD-DVD to consumers in March.

However I think this article is suspect. We'll need to hear from Universal first, and I believe Universal will be the last to change, more likely Paramount would go neutral first, but anyway I hope it's true. We'll see...

Elven6
February 12th, 2008, 00:20
Universal has no reason to change right now, their are close to 2 million HD DVD players on the market, Ive been monitoring the Amazon charts, and both Elizabeth and American Gangster seem like they will have over 100k in sales in just pre orders alone! Im not saying this is false, but no other major site is reporting it, so until then I wouldn't take this as a sign of anything yet.

_X_Zero
February 12th, 2008, 00:37
I wonder if this is 100% true?

Shadowblind
February 12th, 2008, 01:09
I just love how the Blu-Ray supporters just really want HD-DVD to fail and all people who have it to be miserable.

Keep it up, guys, I'm getting less and less respect for a**holes like you every day.

Napalm-Death
February 12th, 2008, 01:25
I just love how the Blu-Ray supporters just really want HD-DVD to fail and all people who have it to be miserable.

Keep it up, guys, I'm getting less and less respect for a**holes like you every day.

lol I lost respect for the 360 fanboys that couldn't shut up about the PS3 and its "lack of games" a long time ago. Even to this, I don't want HD-DVD to fail, I feel sorry for the people that bought the HD-DVD addon and HD-DVD players.

Gizmo356
February 12th, 2008, 01:36
lol I lost respect for the 360 fanboys that couldn't shut up about the PS3 and its "lack of games" a long time ago. Even to this, I don't want HD-DVD to fail, I feel sorry for the people that bought the HD-DVD addon and HD-DVD players.

JKKDARK? lol

Napalm-Death
February 12th, 2008, 01:58
You got the biggest suspect down. lol

Elven6
February 12th, 2008, 02:58
OMG I JUST READ THE ARTICLE! It is obiously a mis quote, if you follow the trend of what is being said. What the writer probably wanted to say was their exclusivty deal is over, this was proven but that dosen't mean they jumped ship.

Gizmo356
February 12th, 2008, 03:02
OMG I JUST READ THE ARTICLE! It is obiously a mis quote, if you follow the trend of what is being said. What the writer probably wanted to say was their exclusivty deal is over, this was proven but that dosen't mean they jumped ship.

I think we all knew that

Elven6
February 12th, 2008, 03:13
Seriously? No one really mentioned they did so I thought no one did.

Gizmo356
February 12th, 2008, 03:32
Seriously? No one really mentioned they did so I thought no one did.

Well maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone, atleast I knew :s

pibs
February 12th, 2008, 03:44
its pointless to buy a blu-ray add on when you could just buy a ps3

F9zDark
February 12th, 2008, 04:42

Do I want HD-DVD to fail? Yes, in some ways, but I have my reasons. Format wars suck. The fact that these corporations deem it necessary to bicker and argue when THEY are the ones that can easily make a compromise and come out with 1 format that they all can agree on and in the end benefit everyone.

I simply posted the article, supposedly we will get the real scoop in March's EGM.

Triv1um
February 12th, 2008, 10:25

While i disagree with that comment, i can see where your coming from.

In this format war everyone knows that there is going to be a looser eventually, thats a inevitability.

Now, the Blu-ray followers want to support there purchase and the HD-DVD followers want to support theres. (Note all the Campagines being sent out the the HD-DVD followers)

If there boot was on HD-DVD's foot, you would all be the same wanting Blu-ray to crash and burn.

We all just supporting our purchases and you are doing the same. Lossing respect about people for that is wrong.

Baboon
February 12th, 2008, 12:02
Bluray seems to be kicking HD-DVD's arse.

I feel sorry for the people who did go out and purchase HD-DVD players... but you sort of got youselfs to blame for rushing out and buying a player when a format war is going on. lol

Next time wait untill the big companies have fought it out before wasting your hard earned cash.

I'll stick with my standard dvd player for now though thank you very much. :)

Sonicboy 101
February 12th, 2008, 12:06
Why is there even a HD-DVD & Blu-ray format war? It's stupid.

Shadowblind
February 12th, 2008, 12:30
While i disagree with that comment, i can see where your coming from.

In this format war everyone knows that there is going to be a looser eventually, thats a inevitability.

Now, the Blu-ray followers want to support there purchase and the HD-DVD followers want to support theres. (Note all the Campagines being sent out the the HD-DVD followers)

If there boot was on HD-DVD's foot, you would all be the same wanting Blu-ray to crash and burn.

We all just supporting our purchases and you are doing the same. Lossing respect about people for that is wrong.
Your point is true, but really, I don't want a loser at all. Thats why I think that the console wars too are unnecessary. With three consoles, every gamer has something they want, at least on one of them. So in my eyes, the PS3, 360, and Wii all play are special part in the grand gaming scheme of things.

jeegee
February 12th, 2008, 14:22
Being a ps3 owner i want bluray to win format war. Seems its close to finished in some places (japan). Not a single 360 owner wants bluray to prosper as it would mean the hd drive addon for their machine would become obselete. The VHS tactics (flooding market with cheaper hardware) of hd-dvd have not worked this time around.

Besides, it IS the superior format :)

imo

Baboon
February 12th, 2008, 14:46
Not a single 360 owner wants bluray to prosper as it would mean the hd drive addon for their machine would become obselete.

:rofl:

Well I own a 360 and have no intentions of buying the HD-DVD addon... also I have many mates with 360’s and not one of them has bought the addon either.

I’ve got my games machine for playing games and not for watching movies, and the whole Bluray Vs HD-DVD bears no relevance to 360 gaming at all.

For you to say “Not a single 360 owner wants bluray to prosper” seems like a very silly comment? I guess the only people that would be pissed that their movie format lost the war would be the people who own the HD-DVD attachment - and not all 360 owners. lol

F9zDark
February 12th, 2008, 16:44
Your point is true, but really, I don't want a loser at all. Thats why I think that the console wars too are unnecessary. With three consoles, every gamer has something they want, at least on one of them. So in my eyes, the PS3, 360, and Wii all play are special part in the grand gaming scheme of things.

Console wars suck just the same. But with console wars, its not so much the companies that ruin the gaming experience, but the fanboys. I will admit, I have been a Sony fanboy at times; but often that was merely in response to other console fanboys defaming my purchase.

I don't mind intelligent discussion of any console, but when people simply resort to insults thats not cool. Truth be told, I do enjoy playing games on the Wii (although it can be frustrating at times; finding that optimal distance from the sensor bar, the optimal "swing" of the Wii-mote to get that strike in bowling, etc). And if the 360 wasn't plagued with RRoD, I'd maybe own one of those too, since there are games on there that I want to play (Mass Effect, Halo 3).

Last generation, I had no problem shelling out for an Xbox and a PS2.

However, being a true gamer is costly, and in the end, none of the systems I love playing games on, get its fair share of play. I also play games on PC which doesn't help the matter.

But then again, if consoles didn't have their fanboys, we may not have as advanced of consoles as we have. Since dedication to one console is what the game companies really want; as it makes their work on that console worth it (mainly with multiplatform titles).

I'd much rather the game companies, and corporations made things work together, made games that worked great on all platforms and worked congruently with one another. But since the bottom line is what is most important to these companies, such things will never happen.

jeegee
February 13th, 2008, 11:31
:rofl:

Well I own a 360 and have no intentions of buying the HD-DVD addon... also I have many mates with 360’s and not one of them has bought the addon either.

I’ve got my games machine for playing games and not for watching movies, and the whole Bluray Vs HD-DVD bears no relevance to 360 gaming at all.

So you dont have the add on drive, yet. I say yet because i wonder ...... are future devs going to able to keep fitting these next gen games onto such a small format as DVD?

Will games in the next few years simply be too big for the DVD format? Seems to be going that way with quite a few ps3 titles being far too big to put on DVD.

Plus Msoft already stated that a HDD would not be necessary to play any of the 360's games but that went out the window almost straight away.

Just a thought.

And i did say it was 'in my opinion'

Baboon
February 13th, 2008, 12:55
In a few years time things might change, but right now all the big games are currently doing fine on regular DVD's. ...Sony's staple diet of 360 dvd-game ports going to PS3/bluray sort of prove this. lol

I’m sure MS will eventually drop there ties of HDDVD anyway once they realise they are the only ones left backing it.