PDA

View Full Version : N64/Snes/Nes controller to gamecube/Wii conversion project

wraggster
February 11th, 2008, 21:17
Nintendo's idea of implementing support for NES, SNES and N64 games in their new console, the Wii, is in my opinion one of their greatest ideas. As soon as I learned that it would be possible to use Gamecube controllers to play those games, I started thinking about designing an Snes/Nes controllers to Gamecube adapter which would be compatible with the Wii.

As soon as I got access to a Wii (I still dont have mine), I started testing my code which I had prepared in advance. I started by doing the NES and SNES adapter. Later, since a friend kept insisting that I should also design a N64 to Gamecube/Wii adapter, I implemented such an adapter.

Because of the complexity of the Gamecube's controller protocol, it's not possible to build a simple conversion circuit without using programmable components. For this project, I used an atmel Atmega8 microcontroller. Maybe it's a little overkill, but using this chip allowed me to use my Multiuse tiny 1 PCB. Given the small size of this circuit, it's possible to fit it inside an original controller.

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/x2wii/index_en.php

Eviltaco64
February 12th, 2008, 04:04
It would be pretty cool to play Mario 64 on a Wii with a N64 controller. Then mod the N64 so it has Tilt Motion. At least that Would work in some games.

lipnox88
February 12th, 2008, 04:21
there are already converters for this such thing available to order online. (haven't seen one for 64 though, but due to the crappy control stick that's probably why)

triplehelix
February 12th, 2008, 07:31
www.retrousb.com

no soldering and costs a flat $19.00 usd with $6 shipping. Just placed my order for an snes one.

would be cool if he was doing us a service a opposed to making such a profit, retrousb is more stable, less work, and slightly cheaper.

Still a good referance guide for some electrical engineering hack for the wii.

Baboon
February 12th, 2008, 13:03
I thought this was quite cool:

http://image1.play-asia.com/350/69/pa.112911.1.jpg

An offical snes controller that will work oon the wii! :thumbup:

info:

Official Super Famicom Classic Controller
Suitable for Nintendo Wii™
Ideal for playing Virtual Console classics
Limited Nintendo Club item
In stock on Apr, 2008