PDA

View Full Version : Full on PS3 and Wii Homebrew Approaches

wraggster
February 11th, 2008, 21:41
The recent movement in hacking of the Wii (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/) and PS3 (http://ps3-evolution.dcemu.co.uk/) mean we are close on 2 fronts to have 2 new exciting consoles for homebrew.

The Nintendo Wii with its Wiimote controller should provide some of the most varied and interesting games ever to be created by homebrew developers.

The PS3 with all that power should be host to some amazing emulators, although im not sure what is possible it makes you wonder if full speed Dreamcast emulation is a goer in time.

My personal hopes for the PS3 is in time some type of Custom Firmware which supports region free PS1 and PS2. Region Free gaming on the Wii would be awesome too.

Whatever happens its going to be mega exciting for the WHole Homebrew scene. As always DCEmu will continue to be at the heart of all homebrew.

What are you looking forward to with the PS3 and Wii Scenes once the first true homebrew appears ?

Triv1um
February 11th, 2008, 21:45
PS3 - Emulators

Wii - Creativity

Thats what homebrew will bring for the 2 consoles.

phsychokill
February 11th, 2008, 21:59
lets just hope some1 finds a way to emulate the newer firmwares so we dont have to update to play new games making us loose homebrew. as you have to think both consoles are due some big games that will be targeted for a firmware update to block these if they can. since the majority of people with a ps3 will want GTA 4 and the wii has smash brothers and mario kart due that alot of people with the wii will probly get.

blueskull1
February 11th, 2008, 22:05
I don't know what we could expect from the homebrew scene from ps3 , maybe emulators like someone said already. On the wii though "garage" game creators could go nuts and we may see some really cool stuff, things we would never see other wise, oh and i hope this means hdd support will be coming to the wii real soon.

shango46
February 11th, 2008, 23:09
I can't wait for the homebrew abilities for both these consoles. If the PS3 is capable of better emulation such as Dreamcast or other's not possible on previous machines, then that right there is enough for me to get one. As for the Wii, I want to see what kind of crazy things appear using the wiimote or adding a portable hdd via the usb. The Wii could have a cousin of XBMC running on it and it would look and feel real nice. That's just my 2 cents.

Gene
February 11th, 2008, 23:14
I can't even imagine the raw power of emulation the ps3 will have. When I heard about the exploit, I nearly soiled my pants.

Nicko01
February 11th, 2008, 23:18
It is very exiting to think about the homebrew that can be run on a PS3. The only bad thing is that a cheat device may come, ruining online gaming (think of the SOCOM games on PSP).
I think the first things to come out for PS3 and Wii will be ported emulators, and then other homebrew games will come soon after. I'm sure there will eventually be custom firmwares, though, which will make the systems even better.
Also, a real linux emulator would be great for PS3. That would not only open up an older platform that people know, but also allow us to use a wide variety of programs on the PS3. Or maybe a Windows emulator could be made too.

Nikolaos
February 11th, 2008, 23:29
For Dark_Alex to work on the PS3, and own.

MicroNut
February 11th, 2008, 23:47
Full on emulation for PS3 and Media playback of all types.
I want to retire the old Xbox

brunobelo
February 11th, 2008, 23:50
I mean, Wii is a good plataform to homebrew, but I really don't care. PS3 wil be the SUXX000OOORRSSESRS because of the damn hard-to-program cell processor... I really want an XBMC on X360, that's what I and most of you need. :-D

sappo
February 12th, 2008, 00:11
Homebrew on PS3? Are you joking? They're more far now than before in doing it xD

Team ICE are scammers. They should learn from Twiizers. When you REALLY have something, release it.

mcdougall57
February 12th, 2008, 02:27
im thinking that making a custon firmware for the ps3 would be a greatly larger task than for the psp, not saying that DA cant do it

Zin0099
February 12th, 2008, 02:47
i believe that the ps3 could do this
-since linux can be installed! windows xp,me,2000,98,or 95 can be installed with cfw(since my computer is 256mb of ram and ps3 has 512mb and better graphics it would be possible)
-psone/ps2/psp homebrew and region free(not psp) games
-emulaters
-dreamcast
-gamecube
-xbox
-wii possible if the wii is just a ps2 with remotes and nunchucks
pretty much every software known to man

ps3 with really be the greatest homebrew/pc system around

MicroNut
February 12th, 2008, 03:04
I would take emu and xbmc on the 360 if and when it happens.
But the thing is so damn loud.
Just like the Xbox1

Zin0099 is right
Linux with RSX access would be a drop kick for EMU and even XBMC.

Gene
February 12th, 2008, 03:07
Oh god. Can you imagine full speed emulation streaming from Ps3 to psp. Excuse me while I shit my pants.

mike_jmg
February 12th, 2008, 04:05
custom firmware on ps3 would be awesome, that would definitely make me buy one
emulators

riamux
February 12th, 2008, 04:11
dreamcast on wii would be awesome
picture playing Rez with a wiimote:D:D:D:D

bah
February 12th, 2008, 06:37
Probably the 100th time i've posted it, most likely the first time its been in context of the thread.

2 words: Head tracking

Jd3-eiid-Uw

urherenow
February 12th, 2008, 06:47
the wii is just a ps2 with remotes and nunchucks

marijajuana's bad mmkayyy?

Zin0099
February 12th, 2008, 06:57
marijajuana's bad mmkayyy?

no if you look at graphics and ram its a gcn/ps2 system

DimensionT
February 12th, 2008, 07:10
Uhhhh, sorry. Mario Galaxy looks way better then anything on the GC... And Luigi's Mansion looks better then anything on the PS2.

I fail to see your logic.

bah
February 12th, 2008, 07:28
Zin0099: Even if it is a 'ps2 with remotes and nunchucks' (I disagree but get your point of it being closer to last gen power than to that of its competition), its outselling the PS3 and 360 and was profitable from day 1, so Nintendo are doing something right.

shorty_carnage
February 12th, 2008, 08:37
I want to be able to play backups of my existing games!

Zin0099
February 12th, 2008, 08:40
yeah me too cause i always hate having scrated disc

bah
February 12th, 2008, 09:00
Euphemisms like 'backups', 'scratched disc', 'easier to carry' etc aren't really worth using as they all read as '(downloaded) copies of games I don't have to pay for' in 99.9% of cases.

I'm not saying I know that's what you meant, but 2 posts in a row mentioning them and a 1 in 1000 chance at a legitimate meaning doesn't add up well.

Cloudhunter
February 12th, 2008, 09:20
Team ICE are frauds if you ask me. The very fact that the news came from "ps3hax" just says it all.

Cloudy

jeegee
February 12th, 2008, 10:14
Euphemisms like 'backups', 'scratched disc', 'easier to carry' etc aren't really worth using as they all read as '(downloaded) copies of games I don't have to pay for' in 99.9% of cases.

They sure do :)

This sounds great but i'll wait for a hello world before getting excited...................;)

andwhyisit
February 12th, 2008, 11:25
PS3 Emulation, I can see only good things for my PSP from this. Gamecube, Saturn, PS2, Jaguar, DS, Dreamcast along with ports of games that require more power than the PSP all on the PSP through remote play. Or maybe even windows. :eek:

I could run every game I ever owned on my psp, if this is true then I am getting a ps3 for sure. :D

MadCatMKII
February 12th, 2008, 11:43
Why do you think that there will be Gamecube, PS2, Jaguar, Xbox, etc emulators for PS3? There aren't any fully working ones for PC yet - and you want them for PS3. This is impossible - PCs are powerfull and easy-to-program, but making gamecube or PS2 emulator is a REALLY hard work. And Ps3 is much more difficult to program for - so don't expect any emus before they are completed on the PC.
PS And there will NEVER be Windows on PS3, maybe only with VMWARE or something (very unlikely). Windows is only designed to work on x86 processors, and you can't recompile it for Cell - as there aren't any sources, unlike linux. So forget about Windows on your PS3.

Dr Eggman
February 12th, 2008, 11:54
Wow, just saw the Zelda Exploit, i am amazed. At the wiki it said US versions have probs. My cousin has an old version (as in got it right when it came out) and i can always borough it.

`The0n3
February 12th, 2008, 12:30
The recent movement in hacking of the Wii (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/) and PS3 (http://ps3-evolution.dcemu.co.uk/) mean we are close on 2 fronts to have 2 new exciting consoles for homebrew.

The Nintendo Wii with its Wiimote controller should provide some of the most varied and interesting games ever to be created by homebrew developers.

The PS3 with all that power should be host to some amazing emulators, although im not sure what is possible it makes you wonder if full speed Dreamcast emulation is a goer in time.

My personal hopes for the PS3 is in time some type of Custom Firmware which supports region free PS1 and PS2. Region Free gaming on the Wii would be awesome too.

Whatever happens its going to be mega exciting for the WHole Homebrew scene. As always DCEmu will continue to be at the heart of all homebrew.

What are you looking forward to with the PS3 and Wii Scenes once the first true homebrew appears ?

I can't wait to sit and watch....if you all fix your damn servers they are ridiculous right now.

sappo
February 12th, 2008, 14:20
Team ICE are frauds if you ask me. The very fact that the news came from "ps3hax" just says it all.

Cloudy

Exactly what I said.

i believe that the ps3 could do this
-since linux can be installed! windows xp,me,2000,98,or 95 can be installed with cfw(since my computer is 256mb of ram and ps3 has 512mb and better graphics it would be possible)
-psone/ps2/psp homebrew and region free(not psp) games
-emulaters
-dreamcast
-gamecube
-xbox
-wii possible if the wii is just a ps2 with remotes and nunchucks
pretty much every software known to man

ps3 with really be the greatest homebrew/pc system around

Yeah, linux can be installed. And what it means? RSX is locked, so linux is pretty useless.

No, Windows systems can not be installed. You can install Linux only because those distributions HAVE specifical support for PS3, but Windows wouldn't find any hardware and won't even install.

And as said before, Homebrew on PS3 is more far now than before in being done.

phsychokill
February 12th, 2008, 16:33
yep asuming stuff will come for the ps3 quick is a joke considering alot of companies are complaining how complex it is to program for. it is also stated it will take about 5 years for any1 to have enough understanding of the cell to use it fully. so yes the ps3 may get some basic homebrew but dont expect anything big quick.

as far as dreamcast, xbox, game cube and the others go if people are finding it to hard to program them in windows that has a relitivly simple programing method what hope do they have on the ps3? also the pc is slugish emulating anything that is a ps2 or above yet pc's have more more power than the actual consoles without full knolage of how the code works and how the console works you may as well just stick the discs in the drive and hit it as it will probly get the games to work on the ps3 as fast as the emulators come.

AngelicLiver
February 12th, 2008, 16:38
I would kill for a software method of playing imported games, I'm sick of Nintendo shafting us European folk. The sooner I get to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl the better.

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on the homebrew community, great things look like they're about to happen!

(Fix your servers dcemu, it's getting rediculous!)

Mister Klownes
February 12th, 2008, 16:49
I'd settle for just PS1/PS2 backups on PS3

MicroNut
February 12th, 2008, 16:49
Don't know why anyone would want to put windows on a PS3?
A VM of windows on the PS3 would be worthless.

There wont be Gamecube, PS2, Jaguar, Xbox emulators for PS3...
If it does not exist on windows it wont magically appear on the PS3.

I would rather see a PS3 with full on emu and multimedia support than the wii.

Linux with full RSX support on the PS3 would the shite.
Current EMU's would have near 100% capability.
And XBMC would have a Linux platform it could be specifically developed for.

Ah, the NEWS!
Bah... get your news from as many sources as possible.
Then make up your mind.

Simply saying one news source is "crap" and another is "the best" is a dangerous path... unless its the enquirer or star.
Where aliens, lizard men and take over the world every day!

PS3NEWS deserves its well earned rep but that does not mean they deserve complete banishment.
Well maybe not complete but very, very close...
pretty sure an evil alien runs that website or a just a complete nub.

PS3HAX what did they ever do wrong?
What have they ever done right?
- never heard of them till ICE.
Of coarse ICE TEAM are frauds.
They don't even seem to understand what a HYPERVISOR is.

M.A.X.C.O.N.S.O.L.E.
- DA is an Admin there! and actually talks to people and responds sometimes when they have questions.
Cant be that bad of a place.

DCEMU hates M.A.X.C.O.N.S.O.L.E. so much that their name has been banned from within their forums.

Its just stupid the infighting between web sites.
Stand alone when you must.
Work together when you can.

sappo
February 12th, 2008, 17:03
I would rather see a PS3 with full on emu and multimedia support than the wii.

I actually think the contrary. Wii has much more potential than PS3 and, as you said, there won't be PS2 or XBOX emulators, so the Wii's horsepower will suffice, plus the benefit from the versatile controls.

So, Wii seems a FAR better homebrew console than PS3, for me.

acn010
February 12th, 2008, 17:06
isnt SDK ps3 illegal since day one?

sappo
February 12th, 2008, 17:10

As every leaked SDK :D

argor
February 12th, 2008, 17:11
Why do you think that there will be Gamecube, PS2, Jaguar, Xbox, etc emulators for PS3?
jaguar is douoble gp2x can do it somwat http://youtube.com/watch?v=9YYnPTlHRNE so the ps3 can also but the T2K Atari Jaguar emulator will not be porte over to ps3:cool:

acn010
February 12th, 2008, 17:21
As every leaked SDK :D

no, i mean official and homemade sdk's for ps3 is illegal

fpcreator2000
February 12th, 2008, 17:24
Hmm....
PS3 - If Dreamcast emulation is possible, along with every system that came before it. Hmm....

Delicious!!!!

Swwwweeeeet!!!!

I would have a reason to plop down 500 for a PS3.

It might be easier since the system supports games that run both on the PSP and the PS3, and I'm not just talking PS1 here. I'm thinking PS3 ports of PSP emulators. The only thing left to understand is how the games that the systems play (from the playstation store) are either games based on a PS1 format, or are they indeed games that run on code that's inherent to both systems.

Only time will tell, but it looks like the future is going to be bright.

fpcreator2000
February 12th, 2008, 17:30
A ps3 is a computer, anything can be installed if you know how to. I don't see a problem installing windows xp on PS3. Of course, something of that magnitude would require intimate knowledge of the system hardware and software, and the creation of a hypervisor to run virtual machines on the system would be required making the process very tedious, difficult, and remote.

andytjm
February 12th, 2008, 17:35
Hmm....
PS3 - If Dreamcast emulation is possible, along with every system that came before it. Hmm....

Delicious!!!!

Swwwweeeeet!!!!

I would have a reason to plop down 500 for a PS3.

Hmm... wouldn't it be cheaper to just by a dreamcast and the games:confused:

mavsman4457
February 12th, 2008, 18:58
Well I am psyched for the PS3's homebrew and I actually didn't even notice this up until now which is pretty sad. At first I was just excited for an N64 emulator but now that I think about it, there could be some greatly creative homebrews that could take advantage of the SIXAXIS or the PSEYE. The possibilities would really be endless. We just need that one Hello World. The difficult part will be deciding between the new firmware, which should have in-game XMB, and the potential for great homebrew. It would be easy if a bunch of great homebrew came out with a Hello World but I doubt that will happen. A firmware update will probably come before any of the real homebrew that I'm looking forward to. Therefore, please gimme a custom firmware.

Zin0099
February 12th, 2008, 19:16
A ps3 is a computer, anything can be installed if you know how to. I don't see a problem installing windows xp on PS3. Of course, something of that magnitude would require intimate knowledge of the system hardware and software, and the creation of a hypervisor to run virtual machines on the system would be required making the process very tedious, difficult, and remote.
no i mean use the other os to install i'm sure with later hacking someone will manage to download and install without virtual crap

phsychokill
February 12th, 2008, 21:19
no i mean use the other os to install i'm sure with later hacking someone will manage to download and install without virtual crap
wether the os is installed with a virtual machine or not either way there is no program with support for the cell cpu its not x86 or x64 so to get windows to run you would have to fully reverse enginner windows changing the very base code that makes it work to make it even reconise the cell and that is before even refining the os.

with that in mind you may as well just start from scratch and make your own os. the linux that goes on the ps3 is a specail version that is specificaly built for the cell and that is the only reason it works.

they fact is you can sit and say oh well the ps3 can do this it can do that the fact is alot of the actual software dev's from big companies are complaining the ps3 is insanly hard to program for compaird to any other system.

the fact is if it hasnt been made for pc since pc's now are more powerfull than the ps3 it is not going to suddenly come out for the ps3 as why would you skip the things that are simple to code from and go to something that is total hell.

one__eyed__snake
February 12th, 2008, 21:44
would be greate to have soe working aplications or programs from the ps3 menu :( aslo to add dark alex is not bothering on the ps3 but is focusing on the xbox360 only

my source for this infmration was on qj.net

:D

long live homebrew :D ... we need emus for our ps3 :(

mavsman4457
February 13th, 2008, 02:14
As I said before I just began to think of the potential of the creativity that programmers could have with the homebrew on PS3 considering the SIXAXIS and the PSEYE but it will also be interesting to see the homebrew on the Wii.

There is going to be some amazing stuff on each of these systems once the hacks come out for them. In fact, now that I think about it the homebrew on the Wii could potentially draw me in to buying a Wii but I wouldn't buy it for the console itself.

Oh yah and as for homebrew on the PS3 I also want to play some SNES and Super Mario War. I assume that those will be given since they can almost run full speed in Linux without any hassle but the main reason I want to have them through homebrew is for a standard and easy way of using the SIXAXIS to control through bluetooth. I hate going on ubuntu and then having to set up the SIXAXIS through bluetooth through a series of commands and then having something go wrong.

Essentially, ease of use will be the first positive for homebrew for me as I still haven't gotten SNES and SMW to run at full speed with sound with the SIXAXIS without a hitch. And if I did then it would be a hassle.

Baboon
February 13th, 2008, 09:06

This site never really supported the xbox homebrew scene for the same reason (it being illegal) so I wouldn't expect to much enthusiasm on here. lol

sappo
February 13th, 2008, 17:28
As I said before I just began to think of the potential of the creativity that programmers could have with the homebrew on PS3 considering the SIXAXIS and the PSEYE but it will also be interesting to see the homebrew on the Wii.

There is going to be some amazing stuff on each of these systems once the hacks come out for them. In fact, now that I think about it the homebrew on the Wii could potentially draw me in to buying a Wii but I wouldn't buy it for the console itself.

Oh yah and as for homebrew on the PS3 I also want to play some SNES and Super Mario War. I assume that those will be given since they can almost run full speed in Linux without any hassle but the main reason I want to have them through homebrew is for a standard and easy way of using the SIXAXIS to control through bluetooth. I hate going on ubuntu and then having to set up the SIXAXIS through bluetooth through a series of commands and then having something go wrong.

Essentially, ease of use will be the first positive for homebrew for me as I still haven't gotten SNES and SMW to run at full speed with sound with the SIXAXIS without a hitch. And if I did then it would be a hassle.

SIXAXIS is a bad copy of Wiimote+Nunchuck, everyone knows that. It also has crappy motion sensing. So motion sensing homebrew (if ever will be any) on PS3 = fail.

mavsman4457
February 13th, 2008, 18:55
SIXAXIS is a bad copy of Wiimote+Nunchuck, everyone knows that. It also has crappy motion sensing. So motion sensing homebrew (if ever will be any) on PS3 = fail.

That makes you sound like a Nintendo fanboy so you should try not to sound so antagonistic. First off, just because the SIXAXIS doesn't have as good of motion sensing technology doesn't mean that the homebrew will fail.

Also, you didn't take into account my entire post because I mentioned the PSEYE. Nothing can surpass the PSEYE + the SIXAXIS combination for motion sensing as the PSEYE senses all motion that it sees while the Wii remote just senses motion of itself. Thus, if the PSEYE and SIXAXIS are used correctly and possibly together then motion sensing homebrew on PS3 > motion sensing homebrew on the Wii. That's a fact.

But I didn't make that post to compare the homebrew between the two consoles so you didn't need to step in and try to start a fight. But if you consider my point then I am right.

andwhyisit
February 14th, 2008, 02:22
Why do you think that there will be Gamecube, PS2, Jaguar, Xbox, etc emulators for PS3? There aren't any fully working ones for PC yet - and you want them for PS3. This is impossible - PCs are powerfull and easy-to-program, but making gamecube or PS2 emulator is a REALLY hard work. And Ps3 is much more difficult to program for - so don't expect any emus before they are completed on the PC.
PS And there will NEVER be Windows on PS3, maybe only with VMWARE or something (very unlikely). Windows is only designed to work on x86 processors, and you can't recompile it for Cell - as there aren't any sources, unlike linux. So forget about Windows on your PS3.
I assumed that ps3 already played ps2 games and all that would be required is a homebrew remote play feature, I never mentioned Xbox and as for gamecube I was kinda hopeful. But as for windows all you would need is a good enough dosbox port for ps3 and windows 95.

Ennohex
February 14th, 2008, 16:31
I'd like PS1/2 emulation without the use of the discs. My PS3 is more powerful than my PC, a PC that currently does PS1 emulation whilst removing all loading times, I might add. A DC emu would be nice too. My DC is gonna need some serious work before it ever boots up again.

And, oh yes... What the hell with the regioning on the emulation core of the PS3? I buy everything US. My PAl PS3 doesn't do PS1/2 US. Glad I havn't retired my PS2.

Lycan_Ste
February 16th, 2008, 10:57
Wii - Region free gaming, SSBB FTW!!!

PS3 - Sony to be nice to the europeans and that doesn't even require a hack!

SaGe3k
February 17th, 2008, 05:01
Heck i have a Dreamcast.. but if it was possible to have an emulator on the PS3.. I would LOVE it!!

JKKDARK
February 22nd, 2008, 19:19
Just only good homebrew projects for both consoles, that's all I want.