PDA

View Full Version : Has Piracy and the Reporting of it on Scene sites Put off Coders ?

wraggster
August 10th, 2005, 13:32
Im sure im not the only one who has noticed this but since the Piracy Loaders etc have been released we have seen a massive drop in releases from our friends over in Japan, i was told that certain coders dont want their releases posted near any Warez news so have the sites that post our Emulation and Homebrew news as well as Piracy news caused a major downturn in releases from the Japanese PSP Community?

Whatever the case may be we thank all those like Mr Mirakichi, Ruka, KMG. TMK and the rest of them for the early work in the PSP scene and hope they arent put off by the warez news.

The real Emulation and Homebrew scene doesnt post warez news, stick to PSP Emulation News, Emuholic and PDroms.de for your fix of PSP news.

mooboy
August 10th, 2005, 18:21
That's a pretty big assumption... Got any evidence to back that up?

Omatic
August 10th, 2005, 19:00
Well, it could be that, I wouldn't be suprised at all. Not much can be done about the piracy without also bringing down the homebrew community, unfortunately (e.g. 2.00 firmware).

jambox
August 10th, 2005, 19:09
The one thing that I will say for the more illicit PSP activities and sites is that those same people are the ones who are doing to most f'ng around with the PSP to eventually get homebrew working on newer firmwares, and also to potentially find work-arounds so that those with 1.5s and 1.0s can play newer games without upgrading the firmware. Other than that, yeah, I wish piracy wasn't so prominent as well.

thedan
August 10th, 2005, 20:29
I would also like to point out that piracy programs like Hook Boot and fastloader are being posted on the Japanese wiki's as well. Maybe that could be why authors are seperating themselves from the wiki's and keeping to their own page.

http://pspwiki.ddo.jp/uploader5/

N3oGhozt
August 10th, 2005, 20:39
Perhaps they have reached limits with the psp and are now studying methods in which to utilize memory sticks for virtual-memory or perhaps attacking firmware 2.0 as it is the most content-rich firmware upgrade to date thus being worth the effort.

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2005, 20:42
I would also like to point out that piracy programs like Hook Boot and fastloader are being posted on the Japanese wiki's as well. Maybe that could be why authors are seperating themselves from the wiki's and keeping to their own page.

http://pspwiki.ddo.jp/uploader5/

mmm. could be :( . It isnt that the scene is dieing out... but some more valuable coders have gone missing, and this could very well be why.

WSOUNitePirate895
August 10th, 2005, 20:50
"If you have the power to do it, it would be crazy not to try"- Full Metal Alchemist
Coders can desing ANYTHING nowadays, Good or bad, its Unfortunate, that there are ppl releasing loaders. I personaly wouldnt have anything against it, (Hey its free for me in the end) but you do need realize that developers would lose money, :( (commmon response is "Well They have more than I do" and it justifies it somewhat (so we think). We start seeing the corporations coming up with anti-homebrew firmware updates, and its unfair that because of some idiots, it degrades everyone elses hard work... Realy cant stop the Illigal type of homebrew, I would keep that at an IRC level, instead of making it WIDELY public.

wraggster
August 10th, 2005, 20:50
its very disturbing, a lot of sites have jumped on the PSP bandswagon the last few months and those same sites are posting emu and warez news together and what they are doing is giving Sony and others the ammo to have a real go at the homebrew and emulation scene .

btw the scene has a whole has only touched the tip of what the PSP can be pushed to, in a years time all whats done now will not compare to then.

Cap'n 1time
August 10th, 2005, 21:09
its very disturbing, a lot of sites have jumped on the PSP bandswagon the last few months and those same sites are posting emu and warez news together and what they are doing is giving Sony and others the ammo to have a real go at the homebrew and emulation scene .

btw the scene has a whole has only touched the tip of what the PSP can be pushed to, in a years time all whats done now will not compare to then.

yes, but think about what might have been acomplished without all the updates.

I cant say for a fact that SONY updated the firmware just to prevent the exploits of loading unsigned code on their machine. But if that be the case (and it probably has at least something to do with it) think about all the would be coders that never got a chance to try thanks to these updates.

Dont hate sony for their updates.. hate lame ass teams like WAB and all the other loader groups, as well as the stupid sites that brown nose them and report every detail about their releases.

D-Boy
August 11th, 2005, 00:40
It's a shame to see this happening it was very noticable indeed. Maybe some uk/us coders should step up to the platform to get things going again? :)

Smiths
August 11th, 2005, 02:00
Well WIP-wise I know ruka isn't exactly "Done" with Nester. I think there is a bit of a pause now.
SNES_TYL will not be "Daily builds", but I believe they have reached out to "y" to involve him as well.
Mirakichi is fiddlin' around still.
Osakana's last real update was that his monitor fried and he got a new one, and tried putting the pspsdk on his computer and it wouldn't work for sh*t.
The other authors are pretty quiet, I must admit.
But it's hot as hell in Japan now and honestly I don't enjoy doing anything that isn't "sitting on couch staring at TV" if I don't have to.

When speaking to several authors a few months ago, they did express their desire to not have their work posted on the same page as piracy information (information, Update$, is the same as posting the downloads to some people). They said they would halt dev if something came up that made their work illegal, but I don't think the loaders == that.

But they did express heavy concerns with not knowing exactly "What" their programs would be sharing a page with... and that made them hesitant to support certain sites.

Shannon
August 11th, 2005, 08:10
Is it just me or was it a coincidence that the loaders did not start popping up until Sony started "insisting" on forcing updates in order to play newer titles.

On a side note there is really nothing the emu authors can do. They have no control over what other sites report and to stop because of this is foolish. My feelings. Someone who does not care about that will just step in and fill the gap left.

Really... Emu's would not have existed as long as they have if they were "illegal". It's the use of ROMS with the emu where things get hazy.

I would not be surprised if the emu authors are either trying to fine tune their emu's to run faster or simply just taking a break. Most of them have very competant interfaces, so it really all boils down to added features like connectivity, speed, etc.

turtleghandi
August 12th, 2005, 07:45
A lot of people are asking for multiplayer support on games via wifi. I'm sure it's a lot of fun for coders to write drivers for intergrated wifi devices. :)