PDA

View Full Version : VGA box, can it work with all games?

mxz600
August 10th, 2005, 15:15
I finally got the vga box i ordered off the net, only cost 10$total, so that good, and i agree, games are awsome with it, but some games, like the older ones do not work, it says it as the game boots up, "this game does not support VGA cable" or something like that.

I read that there is a way to trick the dreamcast into playing these games and forcing the signal. Anybody know how?

marc.williams
August 10th, 2005, 23:07
Most games for the Dreamcast are VGA compatible, one of the big reasons to still use it.

As for the few that aren't more than half can be fooled into displaying through the VGA although at low resolution. Your VGA adaptor needs to have an S-VHS mode switch. Boot a game in S-VHS mode, after the VMU has finished its bleep flick the switch back to VGA mode.

In S-VHS mode you might be asked a question of the frequency of the display (50/60Hz mode) due to televisions in Europe. I find that you should stick in 50Hz mode but this might just be for PAL systems.

There are exceptions "Jo Jo's Bizarre adventure" is the main one and I think "Tee Off Golf" has issues too.

TyBO
August 11th, 2005, 00:52
Does anyone know if you can use the VGA box with most emulators/homebrew games? I've been considering buying one of these things for a while.

kingbuzzo
August 11th, 2005, 01:37
I haven't found a homebrew game or emu that didn't support vga.

it's really useful for playing all the snk games that wouldn't run in vga.

TyBO
August 11th, 2005, 01:41
Ha... nice. I'll have to grab one next time I order from Lik-Sang.

ptr.exe
August 11th, 2005, 13:18
Why is this in the modders forum? shouldnt it be in the hardware forum? moved.

There's a simple tutorial in the hardware forum to build an internal VGA circuit. I wrote it a while ago.

beetroot bertie
August 11th, 2005, 14:50
I've got Tee Off and various others to work using DCX (I prefer using this to doing the switch trick incase I damage the VGA Box)

The only games I have difficulty with are PAL versions of Capcom Vs SNK, Bangia-O, Snow Surfers and Soul Fighter.

Some of my other require DCX or doing the box switch trick to work. They are: Tee Off (as mentioned), Hydro Thunder, Hidden & Dangerous and Gundbird 2 (which suffers from some strange slowdown through VGA?)

Eric
August 11th, 2005, 14:56
hey what if you boot the system and the game has booted take the A/V cable out of the back of the Dreamcast and put the VGA? I dont know if it will work never tried it and dont know about this modding stuff.

ptr.exe
August 11th, 2005, 17:38
Eric, that wouldnt work. The RGB select needs to be grounded a few seconds after the DC has booted, composite cables dont do that, plus it would be tricky to switch the cables quick enough. It's just easier to switch using the S-Video if your VGA box has that, or install a switch if you build your own.

kgenthe
August 25th, 2005, 23:32
my US version of Hydro THunder has no issues with the VGA Box. No swipping or flip switching ness.

ptr.exe
August 26th, 2005, 10:15
kgenthe, is your VGA box a Dreamcast specific one? or is it a composite to VGA box? Basically does it have a plug for the Dreamcast AV port.