PDA

View Full Version : Kaai and Soraa already working up Blu-ray successor?

wraggster
February 13th, 2008, 20:11
Simmer down -- it's not like you haven't seen advancements in blue laser technology before, and even though the current format war may still be raging when either's successor rolls into town, Kaai and Soraa are already looking to the future. Reportedly, Khosla Ventures has invested in both of the aforementioned firms, and while company representatives aren't disclosing much at the moment, we do know that the duo is exploring ways to "exploit gallium nitride, which is also the basis for existing blue LEDs and blue lasers." Apparently, they'd like to concoct suitable replacements for conventional LEDs in the lighting market and make a showing in the optical data storage arena, too. But seriously, with 200GB Blu-ray discs, who needs to worry about the next best thing?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/12/kaai-and-soraa-already-working-up-blu-ray-successor/

F9zDark
February 13th, 2008, 20:22
There will always be a need for space; now companies are working on the true next-next-gen replacement to Blu-Rays, DVDs and CDs: Holographic discs are one such technology (using 2 lasers instead of one, to read different data at different levels) and Three Dimensional Storage (a cube, in which data is stored inside the entire volume of the cube).

Elven6
February 13th, 2008, 20:43
There will always be a need for space; now companies are working on the true next-next-gen replacement to Blu-Rays, DVDs and CDs: Holographic discs are one such technology (using 2 lasers instead of one, to read different data at different levels) and Three Dimensional Storage (a cube, in which data is stored inside the entire volume of the cube).

The cube reminds me of Perfect Dark, the novel Second Front I belive, where they connect small cubes to create terabytes of data space that is really secure.

F9zDark
February 13th, 2008, 20:50
The cube reminds me of Perfect Dark, the novel Second Front I belive, where they connect small cubes to create terabytes of data space that is really secure.

Star Trek The Next Generation used cubes as well, if I am not mistaken. But in theory its the perfect medium; the surface of the cube alone would multiply the data storage by 6 (since there are 6 surfaces to a cube). Even using the laser in a CD to read it would make it worth it, since you'd have essentially 6 CDs worth of data (obviously depending on how large the surface is, etc).

Using the volume of the cube on the other hand...

jdnation
February 14th, 2008, 21:12
R and D is being done on stuff like this all the time, so it's not like it'll suddenly pop up and take on blu-ray. Blu-ray will be the adopted standard for a long time. So nobody has to worry about that.