PDA

View Full Version : Sony hints PS2 games as PSN downloads

Shrygue
February 13th, 2008, 20:33
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=182248)

If you own a diet PS3 (the 40GB version incapable of playing PS2 games) - your backwards-compatibility shortfalls could be remedied with downloadable PS2 games on PSN in future.

That was the hint dropped by Sony's PSN director Eric Lempel, who said the technology exists to make PS2 downloads possible.

"We haven't talked about that yet, but there are possibilities through technology and software emulation to make that possible," he told EGM magazine (via Kotaku).

Most PS2 games are below the 4GB mark so it's perfectly feasible.

PAL 60GB PS3s use software emulation to play PS2 games. If this feature was removed - presumably to cut production costs (which puzzled us to start with) - why would reinstating the software via downloads be any better?

This insinuates that the 40GB hardware is still capable of playing PS2 games. So surely Sony could just make the emulation software available as a cheap purchase (like a standalone patch), to allow 40GB owners the choice of paying to BC-up their console and play PS2 discs?

Triv1um
February 13th, 2008, 22:34
So the 40gb people need to pay for there PS2 games AGAIN?

Rip-off.

Just because Sony is too cheap to include BC is ALL of its consoles, they force people to re-buy.

With the amount of famous PS2 games, how are they going to fit them all in? They done a shit enough job with the PSX games list, but PS2 is a whole different story.

Shrygue
February 13th, 2008, 23:03
Best thing to do is just to keep the old PS2 around if you want to play PS2 games on it (unless you have old 60GB model, especially the one with the Emotion Engine chipset).

DPyro
February 13th, 2008, 23:35
So the 40gb people need to pay for there PS2 games AGAIN?

Rip-off.

Just because Sony is too cheap to include BC is ALL of its consoles, they force people to re-buy.

With the amount of famous PS2 games, how are they going to fit them all in? They done a shit enough job with the PSX games list, but PS2 is a whole different story.

So Nintendo should have adapters to allow people who bought NES, SNES, and N64 games to play their originals? If anyone really cared about PS2 compatibility they should have bought the 60GB version when it was available.

Triv1um
February 13th, 2008, 23:52
Nintendo isn't selling off Gamecube games on the VC are they? No, it plays them from box.

Nintendo's other console are cards so its understandable.

Playstation has always been disk, so theres no excuse.

DPyro
February 13th, 2008, 23:54
All PS3's are still 100% fully PS1 compatible. I never said anything about Gamecube BTW.

Triv1um
February 14th, 2008, 00:00
There ALL PS1 compatible? Backward compatibility is PSone and PS2 isnt it?

Because PS1 games are on the Backward Compatibility list.

Anyway, seeing as you didnt mention Gamecube games makes your argument even weaker.

Nintendo = Gamecube then Wii (full compatible)

Sony = PS2 then PS3 (Only compatible on some consoles, and some of those through buggy emulation software)

Sony has cut out the generation before itself on some consoles, and then trys to sell them for a what will be a overpriced fee? Praying on the people with the 40gb consoles which they payed good money for.

Im a ps3 owner, so its a totally unbiased opinion.

DPyro
February 14th, 2008, 00:18
The huge difference is the Wii is an upgraded Gamecube which Nintendo is making money off. The PS3 is losing money, so it makes sense to cut things out in order to lose less money and sell more consoles. I have no doubt they'll eventually have software BC for the 40GB versions though, even if it's only 50% that work. Besides, do you really think BC will go through to the next gen consoles? I highly doubt when they make a PS4 that they'll be able to emulate the PS3.

Accordion
February 14th, 2008, 00:37
The huge difference is the Wii is an upgraded Gamecube which Nintendo is making money off. The PS3 is losing money, so it makes sense to cut things out in order to lose less money and sell more consoles. I have no doubt they'll eventually have software BC for the 40GB versions though, even if it's only 50% that work. Besides, do you really think BC will go through to the next gen consoles? I highly doubt when they make a PS4 that they'll be able to emulate the PS3.

exactly.

It is important to note that taking out BC was not really part of the plan, a big deal was made over 80%+ backwards compatibility over two generations. Unfortunately there was a lot of negativity towards the PS3 price and SCE needed to make cuts, market research led to the removal of BC.

It is a shame that there is now only one model, but it was a forced action.

Too many people see the price of the PS3 as just a way for sony to take your money, they seem to forget the much higher R&D, manufacturing and retailer profit when taking this view.

Triv1um
February 14th, 2008, 00:39
I highly doubt when they make a PS4 that they'll be able to emulate the PS3.

No but hopefully they have the sence to put a emote chip in ALL the "PS4s". Not the first few NTSC ones.

DPyro
February 14th, 2008, 00:50
Like I said, the days of BC are numbered. You won't see PS3 games on a PS4.

Zin0099
February 14th, 2008, 02:20
i doubt that ps4 woun't play any play station 1/2/or3 cause look at psn will they destroy the content like crash bandicoot or the psn version of WARHAWK (PS3 game)
psone easy to emulate
ps2 a little harder
ps3 since it's part pc maybe easier than PS2

DPyro
February 14th, 2008, 02:28
They'll most definitely will keep PS1 emulation, and maybe even PS2, but unless the PS4 uses the same type of hardware like the Wii's situation I doubt they'll be able to emulate the PS3.

drock82
February 14th, 2008, 19:22
so the games will be saved on the harddrive-hmmmmm sound like hd loader to me:p

jdnation
February 14th, 2008, 21:19
A full software solution that can do BC without using the PS2 hardware is no doubt being worked on as we speak. Those with 40GBs will have to pay a small amount for a download of it, but I expect the software will also run games on the discs themselves if you already own them, and Sony will also make PS2 games available for purchase online.

The good thing about getting software emulation down early is that they can transfer the same PSOne and PS2 software to the PS4 immediatedly and save money on hardware and everything works out of the box. Also no doubt they're also working on a complete software solution for PS3 games that will be readied in the PS4. If Sony is intent on not releasing the PS4 for another 10 years then they've got plenty of time to sort all this stuff out beforehand.