PDA

View Full Version : Spore DS - first screens

Shrygue
February 13th, 2008, 21:37
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=182285)

In addition to our extensive preview of Spore, we've also managed to get our hands on six screenshots from the DS version.

We think that Spore is one of the most ambitious videogame projects ever conceived, charting the evolution of a species from one cell to a million space colonies.

Unfortunately from the looks of the screenshots, the DS version looks like it should have been a victim of natural selection, instead of surviving to grace the handheld console.

If you've seen the screenshots in our preview, it should be obvious that the DS version is built from the ground-up and quite separate from other versions. It focuses on evolution and the creation of creatures, all fashioned into a linear story.

We've been assured that it looks great when animated, but for now we'll hold out for a video to confirm it.

Screenshots (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=192371)

sabernet
February 14th, 2008, 01:30
What...the hell...is that?

rishard10212
February 14th, 2008, 01:37
shit looks horrid.

DanTheManMS
February 14th, 2008, 05:07
I love how half the new games that come out are met with "OMG graphics look like teh SUX!"

Last time I did that was when I saw screenshots of Paper Mario for the first time. Which turned out to be an amazing game. That's when I realized that it doesn't matter what the graphics look like as long as they flow together and are consistent.

Eyedunno
February 14th, 2008, 06:43
It might be all right, but I think I'll go for the PC version. :(

kcajblue
February 14th, 2008, 07:25
I love how half the new games that come out are met with "OMG graphics look like teh SUX!"

Last time I did that was when I saw screenshots of Paper Mario for the first time. Which turned out to be an amazing game. That's when I realized that it doesn't matter what the graphics look like as long as they flow together and are consistent.
i know.
a lot of people put games off just because they dont think it looks good enough.

i personally dont really care as long as its fun.

there probably are cases where the graphics are so horrible you cant play, but thats not likely.

Eyedunno
February 14th, 2008, 08:26
Normally I'd agree with you, but in this case, part of the appeal from the beginning was the ability to stretch and bend creature parts into anything you can imagine, with the movements of the creature looking realistic no matter what kind of creature it is.

The DS version looks more like pin the tail on the donkey, plus the linear story thing (if accurate) sounds lame in comparison to the open-endedness of the full game.

Sonny_Jim
February 14th, 2008, 12:32
I'm looking forward to this and I don't really mind if it doesn't look all that great.

You youngsters and your polygon counts, in my day blah blah blah blah

Jeric
February 14th, 2008, 20:53
I'm on the fence here as I understand the simplistic graphics. After all if you're supposed to be able to highly customize each set of bits then each bit needs to be simple so there's not that many problems putting it in place after streaching or squishing it.

This honestly looks like something that /I/ drew. I'm sorry, and I'll wait for reviews once the game's released, but this's just...BLEH looking.

As always in these situations I hope to be proven wrong and the game will, indeed, rock.

Steely
February 14th, 2008, 22:27
Hmmm... I'll definitely try this out, and if it's good, I'll suggest my friend buy it.

Definitely doesn't look like how I was hoping, but as long as it plays well. I'm going to get an actual good computer, hopefully soon, and I'm goign to get this game. I usually don't care about PC games, but I'm not going to miss this. Looks too good.