PDA

View Full Version : windows update horror story....

Anonymous D
February 15th, 2008, 14:50
i got the latest updates about 2 days ago in the evening. rebooted and vista had lost all my desktop settings and wouldnt run any programs at all. rebooted a second time, all my programs ran, (settings still gone) but now they were displayed using the glass edges from aero but internal buttons from windows classic theme, yet i cudnt get into the settings to enable aero.

so, i system restored back to before the updates. installed them again, making sure not to interupt the process. same thing happens again. except now i cant system restore either, of the system or install dvd. i can get into safe mode, but none of my normal acounts work. hence im in safe mode till my files are backed up then im going to have to re install.

im thinking i should take this opurtunity to go back to xp as well, at least it works. anyone else had this problem or anything like it?

Triv1um
February 15th, 2008, 14:52
Nope, i updated yesterday and its all good.

If i get a opportunity like that, I'm going straight to XP.

But Vista is running great for me at the moment.

Anonymous D
February 15th, 2008, 15:03
nice to know no one else got affected then just me lol. once my steam games are backed up i think i am going back to xp. i have a full vista disk with serial, so when sp1 comes out i can go back. good thing i bought a 500gb usb hard disk about a month ago.

nomi
February 15th, 2008, 16:14
I was affected by the updates... When i updated my PC refused to boot... it said to repair the windows with the cd.. Well i did it.. NOT UPGRADING AGAIN!!!

the_eternal_dark
February 15th, 2008, 21:12
Lol, poor Windows Vista users. F'd by the man again.....

Anonymous D
February 15th, 2008, 21:41
well this was one time to many for me, as of now im running xp pro on this machine, im not going back to vista for a long time.

mike_jmg
February 16th, 2008, 08:25
Vista = crap
I'll keep XP

kcajblue
February 17th, 2008, 20:48
nothing happened when i updated. (for now)
i havent tried using things yet.

Eviltaco64
February 17th, 2008, 20:50
XP = Last Microsoft OS for me.
Vista = Dumbed down OS thats slow and has too many protection things.
And for those of you who says Vista is secure, I've already fixed a few computers with Vista Ultimate x64 that had vicious worms.
I suppose I'll move on to OpenSUSE after Windows XP becomes obsolete.

the_eternal_dark
February 21st, 2008, 09:42
XP = Last Microsoft OS for me.
Vista = Dumbed down OS thats slow and has too many protection things.
And for those of you who says Vista is secure, I've already fixed a few computers with Vista Ultimate x64 that had vicious worms.
I suppose I'll move on to OpenSUSE after Windows XP becomes obsolete.

I've had a few come to me at school already as well. They used the notification system to irritate the end user to finally allow the infected program to run. Very funny...

And bleh, openSUSE? Didn't Microshaft (recently) partner with (throw money at) Novell, to share (Novell's) patents.... Try PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, or Fedora, you'll be happier.

Triv1um
February 21st, 2008, 18:28
Im not sure if this is still updated but Lindows was easy to use. Not enough support and stuff though.

the_eternal_dark
February 22nd, 2008, 21:09
Im not sure if this is still updated but Lindows was easy to use. Not enough support and stuff though.

Ewww.... Lindows....

Ubuntu, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, Linux Mint, Sabayon, Damn Small Linux, Mandriva, Debian, Zenwalk, CentOS, and Gentoo are much better, even for most beginners (the one exception is Gentoo).